Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭TheDenialTwist

CSF wrote: »
    Lads how the **** did Liverpool beat our under 18 year olds by less than we beat their first team?

Exactly!!! Thought we did well.

At least it wasn't a cricket score

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Exactly!!! Thought we did well.

At least it wasn't a cricket score

Heroic effort

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

We are through to the 4th Round of the Moral FA Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Get barry in the first team and get davies a taxi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Real shame we couldn't include the lads that have been training with the first team, Barry took his goal brilliantly and Mungo Bridge was getting himself everywhere for the first hour.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

So what do we need to win the league?

Matrim outside, Patser on holiday and me in the toilet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

I'm setting up a go fund me as we speak, it counts as essential travel doesn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I was bringing the missus a beer in the bath. I think she would agree with this becoming a regular thing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

sc86 wrote: »
    Get barry in the first team and get davies a taxi.

There are some young lads that look ready for first team football at 17 but Barry needs a bit more time I think. He has the composure to finish a Chance like Davis couldn't even dream about but he has a way to go physically. Ideally he needs to go out on loan to get used to the physicality of mens football.

matrim wrote: »
    I was bringing the missus a beer in the bath. I think she would agree with this becoming a regular thing

We could kill three birds with one stone, me, you, Patser and the wife head off on holidays, you can bring us both beers in the bathroom.

• Advertisement

Panrich wrote: »
    There are some young lads that look ready for first team football at 17 but Barry needs a bit more time I think. He has the composure to finish a Chance like Davis couldn't even dream about but he has a way to go physically. Ideally he needs to go out on loan to get used to the physicality of mens football.

He's a while away from that even at this point, probably needs another season at the club to finish growing and bulk up a lot first. No point sending him to League 2 at this stage for him to be bullied off the ball.

Nothing we've seen from the club indicates rushing youngsters through, far better off at Villa for now. Coaching staff all talk very highly of him as the best natural finisher at the club but at the same time the very fact he was able to play today means he isn't even getting exposed to even training with the first team at the moment so he's a long way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

He's a while away from that even at this point, probably needs another season at the club to finish growing and bulk up a lot first. No point sending him to League 2 at this stage for him to be bullied off the ball.

Nothing we've seen from the club indicates rushing youngsters through, far better off at Villa for now. Coaching staff all talk very highly of him as the best natural finisher at the club but at the same time the very fact he was able to play today means he isn't even getting exposed to even training with the first team at the moment so he's a long way to go.

I heard the whole team were down with cramp on 65 mins. That alone shows they aren't physically ready for first team football.

Revan probably the one player who looks physically in shape to be around the first team.

Yeah after 60 minutes Liverpool could done whatever they wanted the lads were all dead on their feet.

Artane, don't forget we need me here in my sick bed since March! Another factor that will be necessary for us to win!

Unfortunately, I've become more ill and hence I wasn't able to join in here with ye for the last while :(

I'm due surgery on Fri, I'll have to tell them "no I need to stay sick so that we can win the League" they'll probably cancel it last minute due to Covid :rolleyes:

Anyway... I will remain sick in my bed, Matrim must stay outside for longer periods of time or maybe a full match. We send Patser off on holidays and Artane will be required to take frequent toilet breaks.

Right, that's it all sorted now :D

Goodnight lads and ladettes :)

Heroic effort

Absolutely, incredible effort

matrim wrote: »

Bring one to me on my sick bed, then it's back outdoors for you Matrim... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

LeBash wrote: »
    I heard the whole team were down with cramp on 65 mins. That alone shows they aren't physically ready for first team football.

Revan probably the one player who looks physically in shape to be around the first team.

They certainly tired but I wouldn’t say that means they aren’t physically ready to play first team football. They hadn’t played a match in 3 weeks, had basically 24 hours notice that they would be playing against the league champions and spent the majority of the game chasing shadows. All those things combined will do a number on your calves!

I’m not saying throw any of them into first team action by the way ... but I’m sure last night didn’t do any of their chances any harm.

Just read Greg Evans article on the athletic. I didnt realise its been so long since they played. It was actually 4 weeks according to him.

Still none of them have the physique yet but they'll grow soon.

The best thing of last night looks like the club are actually doing something with the youth team (and we got to see it last night) where in the past we just had youth teams like it was a PR exercise. The lack of under 23s at least shows they are close to the first team.

Also, best of luck with your surgery on Friday Twist. Hope it goes well and you can get out of bed soon. I know that isn't as fun and relaxing as some people think it is.

Just read Greg Evans article on the athletic. I didnt realise its been so long since they played. It was actually 4 weeks according to him.

Still none of them have the physique yet but they'll grow soon.

The best thing of last night looks like the club are actually doing something with the youth team (and we got to see it last night) where in the past we just had youth teams like it was a PR exercise. The lack of under 23s at least shows they are close to the first team.

Also, best of luck with your surgery on Friday Twist. Hope it goes well and you can get out of bed soon. I know that isn't as fun and relaxing as some people think it is.

I concur with your post, was great to watch our youth team play so well and showing so much promise and potential.

Thank you so much LeBash for your well wishes... no it's not fun or relaxing being ill in bed and not even knowing if my surgery will go ahead on Friday. Being ill in bed since March is certainly no joke. Some days I was too fatigued to even reply to a text message. My Dad is in his sixties and he has so much energy and is well thankfully and here I am in bed wishing I could summon up the energy to write a message or eat something.

Anyway, Villa has been keeping me going throughout, since becoming ill in March and I'm glad I was able to log in here too while watching the match as we had been told my gran aunt wouldn't make it during the night Friday.

She was unconscious on a ventilator with Covid. She died all alone, as is the harsh reality of Covid and her funeral was yesterday. A very difficult time for families with only ten people allowed to a funeral. People can't even get to say a proper goodbye :(

On a happier note:-

I thought Louie Barry's interview was brilliant, loved it, cheered me up so much to see him beaming with delight and pride.

We did so well against Senior First Team Players...

I read a post on the pool forum the night of the match that pool "didn't want to humiliate us by scoring 10 goals" "that's not the kind of team we are to humiliate other PL teams" :D... Ah c'mon now.... They only beat us by 3 goals against a very young team, it wasn't a cricket score :) as I said previously.

Apologies for the long post, plus, I had to keep taking breaks as I'm so fatigued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

My condolences on your loss, it's a crap time alright have a parent in a nursing battling it at the moment.

On a Villa note looks like the board are giving Deano some money to spend linked with Brooks at Bournemouth and Olise at Reading both young wingers who would fit what seems to be our new "Brentford" style transfer policy buy good young players and improve them

• Advertisement

Easy Rod wrote: »
    They certainly tired but I wouldn’t say that means they aren’t physically ready to play first team football. They hadn’t played a match in 3 weeks, had basically 24 hours notice that they would be playing against the league champions and spent the majority of the game chasing shadows. All those things combined will do a number on your calves!

I’m not saying throw any of them into first team action by the way ... but I’m sure last night didn’t do any of their chances any harm.

Exactly and they played superbly all considered :)

I honestly didn't even think klopp would field first team players, all his complaining and ranting about player congestion :rolleyes:

UTV :)

kilburn wrote: »
    My condolences on your loss, it's a crap time alright have a parent in a nursing battling it at the moment.

On a Villa note looks like the board are giving Deano some money to spend linked with Brooks at Bournemouth and Olise at Reading both young wingers who would fit what seems to be our new "Brentford" style transfer policy buy good young players and improve them

Thanks Kilburn, much appreciated. Sorry to hear about your parent and I hope they pull through.

I hadn't heard about links to Brooks or Olise. Cheers for that update

Are Villa under 23s the second best team in Birmingham?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Condolences on loss Denial

I concur with your post, was great to watch our youth team play so well and showing so much promise and potential.

Thank you so much LeBash for your well wishes... no it's not fun or relaxing being ill in bed and not even knowing if my surgery will go ahead on Friday. Being ill in bed since March is certainly no joke. Some days I was too fatigued to even reply to a text message. My Dad is in his sixties and he has so much energy and is well thankfully and here I am in bed wishing I could summon up the energy to write a message or eat something.

Anyway, Villa has been keeping me going throughout, since becoming ill in March and I'm glad I was able to log in here too while watching the match as we had been told my gran aunt wouldn't make it during the night Friday.

She was unconscious on a ventilator with Covid. She died all alone, as is the harsh reality of Covid and her funeral was yesterday. A very difficult time for families with only ten people allowed to a funeral. People can't even get to say a proper goodbye :(

On a happier note:-

I thought Louie Barry's interview was brilliant, loved it, cheered me up so much to see him beaming with delight and pride.

We did so well against Senior First Team Players...

I read a post on the pool forum the night of the match that pool "didn't want to humiliate us by scoring 10 goals" "that's not the kind of team we are to humiliate other PL teams" :D... Ah c'mon now.... They only beat us by 3 goals against a very young team, it wasn't a cricket score :) as I said previously.

Apologies for the long post, plus, I had to keep taking breaks as I'm so fatigued.

Only seen this now. Sorry for your loss.

Why are we being made play spurs?
    The newcastle game was pulled for less

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

No decision has been made yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Running out of fixture dates. Were already city and Newcastle came down afaik.

Tbh not sure how the league can reasonably continue. The UK is a total mess now. Never mind our figures

Jesus if the soccer goes off the tv , aswell as the gaa already gone , i think il crack up

• Advertisement

No reliable sources are suggesting this yet. Would be a disgrace if it happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Game has been postponed thankfully.

But the question is what happens with the Everton game now?

I mean if 10 first teamers have it, does that not rule them out for at least 2 weeks?

Not sure, they might not have to do the full whack if they are being retested.

Everton game being moved to Sunday from Saturday so assume that means it's intended to be played as things stand

Everton game being moved to Sunday from Saturday so assume that means it's intended to be played as things stand

Ah yeah, you’d think that 10 days after the announcement of Covid (and more since the tests) we may only even be missing the ones that had symptoms.

In talks now with Everton about postponing.

• Advertisement

Going to be some backlog , could they not have pushed it to monday or would that make no odds?
    Hope we dont lose our form if some star players got it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Going to be some backlog , could they not have pushed it to monday or would that make no odds?
    Hope we dont lose our form if some star players got it

But do you not lose any players who have got covid for at least 2 weeks?
    So if we have 9/10 first team players out with covid and this was found to be the case last Thursday surely that would mean any game we play before the 21/22nd Of Jan would mean having to play a very depleted side (I'm only guessing here but is it not a minimum of 14 days before anyone with covid can be assumed to be safe again to other people?)

Lets hope we can get this game postponed as i would rather deal with a heavy game load down the line using our best players, rather then playing weaker teams now as we really don't have the squad to compete at this level missing 9 players.

They will have to suspend the league again at some point.

They will at least have to extend it. Weve got 3 games to play as it stands and probably 4. Where are they going to fit that in before the Euro and thats assuming another fixture won't get pulled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

They will at least have to extend it. Weve got 3 games to play as it stands and probably 4. Where are they going to fit that in before the Euro and thats assuming another fixture won't get pulled

Villa have midweeks available, rescheduling Newcastle and Everton games should be ok, the Spurs and City games could be/will be difficult.

• Advertisement

If the Euros is going ahead then extending the league becomes very difficult, if you think back to the opening weekend what were the league thinking not having us play Burnley when United and City couldn't play.

The numbers weren't particularly bad at the time. It would have made sense to play it but hind sight is 20 20.

Man City and Magpies games dates now released.

Magpies on Wed and City on Saturday.

(just letting you all know that I had my pre surgery bloods and my pre surgery swab but unfortunately my Surgery is being postponed for six months :()

Apologies, that should have been City Wed...

So, that leaves us with just the Spurs and Everton games to be rearranged.

Man City and Magpies games dates now released.

Magpies on Wed and City on Saturday.

(just letting you all know that I had my pre surgery bloods and my pre surgery swab but unfortunately my Surgery is being postponed for six months :()
    Other way around with the fixtures. City is Wednesday, Newcastle is Saturday week.

Sorry to hear about the surgery postponement, hope you're feeling well

Other way around with the fixtures. City is Wednesday, Newcastle is Saturday week.

Sorry to hear about the surgery postponement, hope you're feeling well

You can't blame me for getting confused :)

Lot going on, sorry for confusing everyone, I meant the other way around

For the sake of clarity :)

The players and staff that are well enough to return to training will return Sunday. City game next Wednesday then Newcastle 3days later, then Burnley the following Wednesday and Southampton the following Saturday.

I'm still in my sick bed so all should be okay with Villa :D

So, as I said previously, that leaves Spurs and Everton to be rearranged

JPA wrote: »
    Villa have midweeks available, rescheduling Newcastle and Everton games should be ok, the Spurs and City games could be/will be difficult.

City on Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

For the sake of clarity :)

The players and staff that are well enough to return to training will return Sunday. City game next Wednesday then Newcastle 3days later, then Burnley the following Wednesday and Southampton the following Saturday.

I'm still in my sick bed so all should be okay with Villa :D

So, as I said previously, that leaves Spurs and Everton to be rearranged

Sorry to hear about your health issues Denial especially the way things are, at least now the games will be coming thick and fast which will be a welcome distraction for us all.

It’s a strange season I think that now we’re effectively safe we can look more long term. With our owners Our ambitions should be for top four the question is realistically when can we achieve it.

Half of me would love a European finishing spot and half of me thinks we would be so far ahead that we couldn't fill the squad and it would be a disaster.

Smith and Co have done an amazing job at the club but I think the fixtures clustering combined with the fact a number of players can't train at the moment will probably derail the amazing half season.

A lot of reports that we are making a move for King now. Wesley apparently might get a few late sub roles at the end of the season at best. Reading something Ian Taylor said and it went along the lines of the club wont risk his knee and want a really slow build up. He's only back in the door of first team training and potentially has Covid. Starting to sound like Kozak all over again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement