Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Can't really complain about the second one. It was a peno for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

JPA wrote: »
    Total **** up from ref and VAR.
    He will be dropped for that.

No he wont , if was other way round he would

As a City fan, I am embarrassed by the offside non-decision, an utter disgrace. Villa have been brilliant to watch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

As a City fan, I am embarrassed by the offside non-decision, an utter disgrace. Villa have been brilliant to watch!

City have been brilliant too, some great passing and losing to yoy wouldn't have beeen the worst.

But it's the constant robbing by VAR and officials of Villa that's hurting.

That decision tonight, Pogba 3 weeks ago, Fernandes last year:mad::(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

How can anyone stand over that decision, an absolute shambles. Not too dissimilar to a Kane Lovren one a few years ago.

Love watching Villa this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

The only positive I can take is it’s better to feel cheated by the ref than embarrassed by the performance. We’ve been great to watch this year. It’s been a huge turnaround that I never saw coming. We were great tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Really good performance all round. Target must be the most improved player in England this season.

City deserved it but we made them seriously work for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

That was Mings bests game for Villa in a long time.

And he still made2/3 huge mistakes during the game.

Sorry, onside/offside he was a complete and utter idiot to try take that ball down. The over arrogance of Mings really drives me crazy, how many points has he cost now? 80th min away to city and he tries that...

He is the first player we need to try and find a replacement for in the summer as he is a walking liability.

Other then that, great team performance. A few clever transfers in this and the next market and we will be a very dangerous side.

The improvement in Targett is just incredible. And Martinez is easily the best keeper in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Konsa is so good , yet mings gets all the credit from media.
    I dont get how one is england international and other isnt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Mings job is to play from the back, not to clear it into the stands. That leads to mistakes.

He possibly assumed Rodri could not tackle the ball given his position, we might find out in a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

I'm proud of the lads performance tonight, the attitude and the spirit was there for all to see, they put in a serious shift considering the lads were virus ridden.

Matty Targett was outstanding again, he rarely loses a one vs one these days, incredibly this evening, was it 0-0 when he went off?

Mings is just an unfocused clown, too concerned with what he's doing off the pitch. You'd rarely see his partner Konza make a fraction of the errors Mings makes.

The subs all hindered us and didn't contribute at all, Taylor, AEG and Ramsey didn't do anything. Watkins just doesn't make the ball stick, he doesn't have a presence, never get the impression he'll score.
    McGinn missed a sitter.

Luis was solid as always and Martinez was immense too.

sc86 wrote: »
    Konsa is so good , yet mings gets all the credit from media.
    I dont get how one is england international and other isnt

The only positive i take from watching Mings is that he will be a starter for English up the Euro's and will surely mess their chances up of winning it.

Konsa is so much better then him, its not even close.

Ramsey was very close to a goal only for a very flukey City clearance, ball spun off defenders other foot from cross

CucaFace wrote: »
    The only positive i take from watching Mings is that he will be a starter for English up the Euro's and will surely mess their chances up of winning it.

Konsa is so much better then him, its not even close.

Seriously doubt he'll start especially with John Stones now coming into form.
    If Southgate has half a brain he'll drop Mings.
    Be surprised if that tournament goes ahead anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

On balance we have to accept that City were the better team and would have to be counted very unlucky if they didn't get the win. That eases the pain of the very harsh decisions as they had missed loads of great chances already. Given the circumstances with Covid it's understandable that we set up a bit defensive away to City after three weeks off but it's the first game this season that I thought we didn't turn up to take the game to the opposition.

That said, we had some great chances ourselves and could easily have nicked a goal and then it would have been interesting. Mings once again lackadaisical on the ball and was already nearly caught out in our box earlier. It was heroic defending in the main though. Targett was unreal.

Esse85 wrote: »
    Seriously doubt he'll start especially with John Stones now coming into form.
    If Southgate has half a brain he'll drop Mings.
    Be surprised if that tournament goes ahead anyhow.

They seem to value the left footed CB as a major plus and so far he hasn't messed up for them. I think they will start him, and then see the error of that in a big game (hopefully).

I guess a left footed CB isn't too common in the game at the moment.

As the game was progressing I was thinking it's almost impossible we won't concede. And beforehand I was expecting a loss.

But I'm still pissed off.

CucaFace wrote: »
    They seem to value the left footed CB as a major plus and so far he hasn't messed up for them. I think they will start him, and then see the error of that in a big game (hopefully).

I guess a left footed CB isn't too common in the game at the moment.

I'd rather he plays a blinder for England and have someone like City who always pay way over the odds for defenders take him off our hands for silly money.
    He's the only player who's gone backwards for me.
    Konza, Target, Luiz, Trez all kicked on went up a level after lockdown, whereas has deteriorated.

McGinn suspended for Newcastle game due to yellow tonight (was initially shown as Luiz during game, but corrected)

Wonder what Smith's situation will be?

Patser wrote: »
    Wonder what Smith's situation will be?

Probably happy to be in the stands and away from Steve Bruce I would think.

• Advertisement

I dont think sitting in the stands these days will be a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

So the rule is that because Mings made a play on the ball then Rodri can play on from an offside position.

Here's another scenario.

Foward player standing on the goal line with keeper slightly ahead of him off his goal line. Another player takes a shot that the keeper dives at and he lets it squirm under his body. Striker on the line taps the ball onto the net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I’m not an expert on the offside rule, but fair to say that Mings gets more ridiculous by the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

City the better team but the workrate of Villa was great, amazing last ditch defending (despite Mings usual cock up) like a cup final almost. I was concerned about the fitness of the squad, and they certainly didn't look quite match fit but the mentality is there and that'll do for me for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Panrich wrote: »
    So the rule is that because Mings made a play on the ball then Rodri can play on from an offside position.

Here's another scenario.

Foward player standing on the goal line with keeper slightly ahead of him off his goal line. Another player takes a shot that the keeper dives at and he lets it squirm under his body. Striker on the line taps the ball onto the net.

I think if the ball hits the keeper or the post it is offside. Having said that, if by the letter of the law he’s onside in this scenario, then the law is f*cking dumb.

While Mings makes a poor decision, that poor decision is impacted by the offside player, he glances over his shoulder and sees him there which clearly affects his choice... why he decides to take the ball down is a different question!!

Easy Rod wrote: »
    I think if the ball hits the keeper or the post it is offside. Having said that, if by the letter of the law he’s onside in this scenario, then the law is f*cking dumb.

While Mings makes a poor decision, that poor decision is impacted by the offside player, he glances over his shoulder and sees him there which clearly affects his choice... why he decides to take the ball down is a different question!!

Mings is a ball playing CB. It's his job to take the ball down, he had time. He didn't do an inch perfect piece of control, but it shouldn't have mattered.
    Clearing it there would not have made sense. BS decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Villas Boas a bit miffed at the opening bid for Sanson at 7m +2m bonuses saying it was pathetic according to French media.

kilburn wrote: »
    Villas Boas a bit miffed at the opening bid for Sanson at 7m +2m bonuses saying it was pathetic according to French media.

He is probably not wrong, based on how highly he seems to be rated. Us trying to do to Marseille, what Spurs failed at with us.

French football is in financial disarray. Clearly trying to take advantage, no harm.

• Advertisement

French football is in financial disarray. Clearly trying to take advantage, no harm.

Yeah, if it works.

CSF wrote: »
    Yeah, if it works.

Your first bid should embarrass you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Aye, I had another look at it there. While it follows the rule of law, I'd say he still gets an advantage from coming from behind Mings. Totally understand the frustration, the hand ball is a 50-50 one, I've seen that not given and seen it given.

circadian wrote: »
    Aye, I had another look at it there. While it follows the rule of law, I'd say he still gets an advantage from coming from behind Mings. Totally understand the frustration, the hand ball is a 50-50 one, I've seen that not given and seen it given.

Yeah, I can’t get my head around it at all.

The most frustrating piece for me is that I've never seen a goal awarded like that before and the club are the victims of it and it's really infuriating because the game was 0-0 with ten minutes to go and I felt like we'd hang on or possibly even nick it.

It's just impossible to believe if the roles were reversed that a financial powerhouse like City or United would concede a goal like that.

It's the injustice of it on top of the many appalling decisions the club has suffered by refs/var in the last 18 months.

Smith saying he asked the 4th official if they got juggling balls for Christmas and doesn't think it was worthy of a sending off.

Fairly good question to be fair...

• Advertisement

Smith saying he asked the 4th official if they got juggling balls for Christmas and doesn't think it was worthy of a sending off.

Fairly good question to be fair...
    I keep trying to get that joke and remain none the wiser...

Mings is a ball playing CB. It's his job to take the ball down, he had time. He didn't do an inch perfect piece of control, but it shouldn't have mattered.
    Clearing it there would not have made sense. BS decision.

I think the point is that he didn’t have time, he thought he had time because of what he thought the law was I.e. this player behind me can’t touch the ball. I’m being harsh here but it’s the equivalent of stopping playing because you think a foul has occurred.

Two things happened at the same time, a stupid law was highlighted and Mings could’ve not taken a risk and just cleared the ball.

CSF wrote:
    I keep trying to get that joke and remain none the wiser...

Think he is implying they were clowns so very harsh red

A circus act indeed.

That should have been more obvious to me than it was

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

He got a yellow for that. The red was for calling the ref every name under the sun in the aftermath.

Two very strange goals alright. No doubt by the time Villa take advantage of that off-side loop-hole, the rules will have changed/clarified.

Whether the goal should have stood or not, I think Mings' decision making is dangerous at times. Konsa put his foot through a dodgy pass earlier in the game and I thought - yes, he knows who the opposition are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Esse85 wrote: »
    The most frustrating piece for me is that I've never seen a goal awarded like that before and the club are the victims of it and it's really infuriating because the game was 0-0 with ten minutes to go and I felt like we'd hang on or possibly even nick it.

Closest I can think of was Robbie Keane (I think) coming from behind the goal line to take it off a keeper waiting to play it up field.

Seen this a lot on twitter, but at pretty much the same time, Christiano Ronaldo was doing the same thing in Italy, but was given as offside

https://twitter.com/Watch_LFC/status/1352029198513278982

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

Easy Rod wrote: »
    I.e. this player behind me can’t touch the ball. I’m being harsh here but it’s the equivalent of stopping playing because you think a foul has occurred.
    l.

Maybe ye should have asked City to let ye score!

adaminho wrote: »

Fair play for spotting a tenuous link to something to do with Leeds to make an irrelevant point/joke!

Ah here, there must be a female pundit on Twitter for you to argue about instead of Villa

matrim wrote: »
    Closest I can think of was Robbie Keane (I think) coming from behind the goal line to take it off a keeper waiting to play it up field.

Robbie wasn't offside when the ball was kicked. Once Shay had it in his hands it was fair game. Under 2018 rules, the linesman would have raised the flag as soon as he showed intention to challenge.

I dont think Mings was wrong last night, we don't hoof the ball much at all now. We play very direct from the midfield but not the 2 centre backs and its the first time I've seen something like that be allowed so Mings rightly accepted he would be protected by the player being offside. Even the rules are contradicting themselves and the one they apparently went with was a very dark shade if grey.

Ah here, there must be a female pundit on Twitter for you to argue about instead of Villa

Nah, there's plenty of girls blouses on here :p In fairness even though the Ref was right I'd feel hard done by! It's a stupid rule and should rightly be changed.

Nah, there's plenty of girls blouses on here :p In fairness even though the Ref was right I'd feel hard done by! It's a stupid rule and should rightly be changed.
    Completely agree. If the rule is the rule, then technically we can't complain about injustice, but we are perfectly within our rights to point out how stupid it was, and that we will be the only team to suffer from this, because it is going to get changed.

Completely agree. If the rule is the rule, then technically we can't complain about injustice, but we are perfectly within our rights to point out how stupid it was, and that we will be the only team to suffer from this, because it is going to get changed.

Imagine trying to explain that Patrick Bamford is offside is for pointing where he want's the ball played but Rhordri is onside from 30yrds away! As for the Cash penalty, You'd scream if it was for you but was probably a Pen. Leeds had a pen given against them in the first game against Liverpool where it bounced off his knee! Two weeks later the rule was changed, I can see that offside rule going the same way!

• Advertisement
Advertisement