Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

adaminho wrote: »
    Imagine trying to explain that Patrick Bamford is offside is for pointing where he want's the ball played but Rhordri is onside from 30yrds away! As for the Cash penalty, You'd scream if it was for you but was probably a Pen. Leeds had a pen given against them in the first game against Liverpool where it bounced off his knee! Two weeks later the rule was changed, I can see that offside rule going the same way!

I don’t really have a complaint about the penalty. It annoys me, but with his arm at that height, if you don’t give it you’re basically saying there are no penalties unless someone tries to act as goalkeeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Smith charged by FA over his conduct. Hope he brings his Manager of the Month award with him, and a few juggling balls

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55757428

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

With all the very correct controversy about the goal, the performance itself went a little under the radar. Although City had most of it, Villa had a few dangerous breakaways and got a good few forward when carrying the ball, that on top of being tough defensively. There was a time when it was banks of players who barely got out of the half.

Targett's form especially has been a fantastic bonus in the team. He's been terrific lately. I saw a stat that he averages more interceptions and possession adjusted interceptions than any other left back in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Trez back for tomorrow. Even if he doesn't start he will make an attacking option on the bench.

Smith sort of hinted that Ramsey will start tomorrow in place of McGinn. I would have thought he would have started Nakamba and let Luiz operate in the box to box role McGinns been doing.

I know Ramsey is highly rated but honestly, I've seen nothing in him yet. Id have seen more potential in O'Hare but he was a little older.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭VillaMad

A hat-trick for Louis Barry tonight for the Villa U-23's in a 3-2 win over Norwich. That kid can't stop scoring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Get barry in that first team squad asap.
    Rather see him get 10 mins than our other goal shy sub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

He's nowhere near ready for the first team squad, if the club thought he was even close then he wouldn't have played against Liverpool, all the ones at that level couldn't play as they'd been training with the first team.

Only have to take one look at him and see that he's still a child, wouldn't expect to see much of him outside of a league cup appearance next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

He's nowhere near ready for the first team squad, if the club thought he was even close then he wouldn't have played against Liverpool, all the ones at that level couldn't play as they'd been training with the first team.

Only have to take one look at him and see that he's still a child, wouldn't expect to see much of him outside of a league cup appearance next season

I wouldn't mind seeing him added to the squad every now and then for the experience, but no way do I think he's ready for game time either, I'd rather we take our time with him, similar to how Pep has done so with Foden.

Physically he's still years off becoming a man, he's still a boy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Barry should be sitting on the bench to be used in games where we might be winning by a few goals already. Ive never seen a club as bad as villa to hold a player back. In other clubs if they are good enough they are put in at 17 (look at Utd, Everton) yet we barely seen Grealish that much until he was 20 and he is a truly world class player. Had Grealish been at another club he would have been far more involved in the senior team at an earlier age. Regardless if Barry looks so small, he will learn more in playing 10 mins of PL games that will stand him a lot in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Deal Agreed for Sanson for 14 million pounds. That seems like a great price in todays market for a player with his experiance.

Found this clip about him joining villa on YouTube, well worth a watch - https://youtu.be/1Rn7sHr7urM

Looking forward to seeing Sanson in a Villa shirt, has got good pedigree.

Lovre Kalinic joined Hajduk Split on loan, I wasn't aware of that.

Looking at some of Sanson's stats etc and he seems very impressive with high pressing off the ball, in top 5 in France for it. Obviously what he does with the ball is hugely important but this is something I'm glad to see in a new player. Too many tepid, stand offish midfielders in recent past for Villa. This guy looks high energy.

That French league is absolutely woeful so I wouldnt be expecting this lad to recreate his show reel or stats.

Some good players come from it alright but there have been a lot of flops as well.

LeBash wrote: »
    That French league is absolutely woeful so I wouldnt be expecting this lad to recreate his show reel or stats.

Some good players come from it alright but there have been a lot of flops as well.

I think expectations need to be kept very low for the remainder of this season with him.
    We won't see the best of him until next season.

Just look at some of the Chelsea lads who came from a superior league in Germany, they have struggled to adjust.
    Hopefully he speaks some English. Guilbert, Traore and Nakamba would be French speakers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Barkley is back.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/AVFCOfficial/status/1353054961916125185

Nakamba in for McGinn, other than that as was

Patser wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/AVFCOfficial/status/1353054961916125185

Nakamba in for McGinn, other than that as was

A little surprised at that, didn't feel there's a need for the defensive minded Nakamba. Maybe Luiz will play higher up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Barkley is back.

You mustn't have been paying attention against Man City!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

JPA wrote: »
    You mustn't have been paying attention against Man City!

Oops!

We need a win here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Oops!

We need a win here.

Hope so, we should have enough, first goal important hopefully Ollie will get it

• Advertisement

Esse85 wrote: »
    A little surprised at that, didn't feel there's a need for the defensive minded Nakamba. Maybe Luiz will play higher up.

Probably lack of midfield options. Hourihane is on loan, so that leaves Nakamba and Ramsey as replacements for suspended McGinn: at least til new guy gets in

The gut is saying Watkins will hit 2 today.

Cant wait to see Trez back. Think he gives us much more in all round contribution

Touchline bans for coaches is stupid in an empty stadium, you can still hear Smith roaring.

WATKINS!!!!

Go on VAR it, I dare you!!!
    Playing lovely stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Lovely poachers goal. That's more like it from Watkins.

Barkley misses good chance.

Targett is suddenly our player of the moment

Luiz defo playing McGinn role and being allowed to get forward a bit more

Pity, great finish.

Nakamba looks like he's seriously worked on his passing. Playing well

Pity, great finish.

He really needs to learn to hold just that bit back, som many marginal offsides he's on the wrong side of, where he dosent need that bit of an advantage anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

He's great on that shoulder of a defender running through, holding back would neuter it a lot I think. Unfortunately in these times of offisde nipples it'll be frustrating to watch at times but I don't think he should be adjusting much for it.

Cheer up Stevie Bruce!

OOOHH!!!!

Crossbar and down! Traore! Lovely

Great finish Traore. Lovely faint to pass to Jack originally. Traore's workrate been great this half too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Traroe has been a great signing

Even Nakamba is trying 25 yard volleys

Great result so far. We have barely left second gear, we haven't needed to.

NUFC have barely tried a leg.

Traroe has been a great signing

Still leaves Cash very exposed at times, hasn't quite switched on to the defensive responsibilities he has

pavb2 wrote: »
    Hope so, we should have enough, first goal important hopefully Ollie will get it

Nice one.

• Advertisement

Is this Bruce getting the bullet? Hard to believe he's managed to stay there after 2 points from 9 games (10 if we keep the lead).

Lovely stuff. Hopefully keep at the same level 2nd half.

Newcastle will surely offer a better challenge second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Great to get one back, but Watkins (if he wasn’t level with the ball) is offside. It’s actually a worse decision than the one against city!!

He deserves every bit of luck though, he may well end up as top disallowed goal scorer of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Don’t want to tempt fate but as Much as the roller coaster of play offs and fighting relegation was nail bitingingly exciting it’s nice to see us being so organised, playing well and good to watch without the added pressure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Patser wrote: »
    Still leaves Cash very exposed at times, hasn't quite switched on to the defensive responsibilities he has

Has improve that part of his game aswell imo. Great to have him trez and elgazhi battling to start.

Easy Rod wrote: »
    Great to get one back, but Watkins (if he wasn’t level with the ball) is offside. It’s actually a worse decision than the one against city!!

He deserves every bit of luck though, he may well end up as top disallowed goal scorer of the year

You do know because the defender played the ball last that Watkins isn't now offside.

The decision was 100% correct.

• Advertisement

Be nice to get 1 or 2 more and bring on Trez and AEG with 20 minutes to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Esse85 wrote: »
    You do know because the defender played the ball last that Watkins isn't now offside.

The decision was 100% correct.

Ha, it’s mad isn’t it? A fella could be 20 yards offside and a ball will nick off someone’s shorts and they’ll say it’s not offside.

As I said, nice to get one back before they fix this stupid law.

Get Grealish off as soon as we can. Hes the one player we can't to without, would be nice to get a rest and he's 1 yellow off a ban

Luiz misses open goal.... after we tear Newcastle apart again

I'd be annoyed if we didn't win 4-0.

• Advertisement
Advertisement