Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

They are like the home team, we seem to play worse at VP and has been the same for a number of seasons now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

2 nil

Watkins shocking touch and counter attacked.

Worst performance for a long time so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

This is a shocking performance.

The problem was in MF at HT and instead of fixing that and upsetting some of the bigger names he bottled it and brought off a winger.

Worst display of the season but not much worse than Southampton to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

2- 0

Jesus West Ham are picking us apart. They kept guys forward even as we had the ball, trusted us to mess up

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Not been great the last two games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Most dissapointing 60 mins since leeds game

That was an awful poor loss of ball at the edge of their box, with everyone up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Shocking touch from Watkins that gave the ball away.

Easy to see why barkley cant make it at top 4 club

Esse85 wrote: »
    Surely little squad rotation is impacting us here.
    West Ham look fresher and more energetic.

We were worried about the run of games coming thick and fast and it is fully exposed tonight.

• Advertisement

C'mon get Barkley of!!! Get Sanson or Nakamba in, shore up the middle, let McGinn or Luiz go forward more. Barkley is doing nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭chases0102

8 shots on target to 0 is a shocking statisti, and tells the story

0 shots on target, 3 overall. West Ham 8 and 15.

Now Mings has killed himself saving a 3rd, some cry of pain from unreal save

Patser wrote: »
    C'mon get Barkley of!!! Get Sanson or Nakamba in, shore up the middle, let McGinn or Luiz go forward more. Barkley is doing nothing

Seems obvious doesn't it.
    The game can still be saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Sanson please. I want to see what we've got there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Lucky not to be 4 or 5 down. Antonio should have bagged a brace at least. Good play by mings to be fair. Could be a long 30 mins or so unless something drastically changes.

I think teams have figured Villa out.

sc86 wrote: »
    Easy to see why barkley cant make it at top 4 club

He's a total passenger if he's not supplied with chances.

• Advertisement

I'm switching over to Netflix.

I think teams have figured Villa out.

Nothing to figure out when players can't control a ball.

I've to go to work soon, going to miss last 30 minutes.......

Good!

West ham pressing villa well. They are all over villa like a rash. Workrate is top notch

Trez for Barkley...... Grealish centre?

JPA wrote: »
    He's a total passenger if he's not supplied with chances.

He looks like he nearly thinks hes to good for us, face on him getting subbed

• Advertisement

West ham pressing villa well. They are all over villa like a rash. Workrate is top notch

Maybe it's this. West Ham have been very good recently, and made it into top 4 with some great results. So Villa underestimated them

Consistently crap games from McGinn and Barkley.
    Even Luiz ineffective tonight.
    70 mins in and there's been zero positives to take from this game.

We all know Dean Smith's biggest weakness is his game management but tonight has taken it to new levels in all honesty lads.

Agree with am earlier poster...Teams have figured us out. A but of pressure in the right areas and we can't build up...when we do have the ball in the final third you block up the channels that Grealish and Barkley like to work in.

Our midfield in particular McGinn isn't good enough unfortunately.

Can't think of a game this season we've been so ineffective up front

If davies gets subbed on then thats it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

No energy. Players look ****ed from playing 90 minutes every 3 days.

I'll keep watching Netflix in the hopes of another two.

Nice goal that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'll keep watching Netflix in the hopes of another two.

Can you do anything with the pool game theres some goals there I need :)

Shocking goalkeeping but Watkins with another stinker of a first touch

Nevermind....

Lingard again. Ffs. Hasn't played in months never mind scired

rebelomar wrote: »
    Shocking goalkeeping but Watkins with another stinker of a first touch

2 touches leading to goals. WTF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Rare off night from Martinez tonight, will feel disappointed about 2 of the goals. A very poor night overall, never got going at all. Not sure I agree with the whole 'figured the team out' stuff though, I think that's a very generic thing to say after poor performances. Team looks tired, physically and mentally, tonight more than anything else imo. Starting lineup needs freshening up, can see Sanson and Trez in for next game.

listermint wrote: »
    Can you do anything with the pool game theres some goals there I need :)

Sadly my FF rivals need them to do well so no can do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

We looked very flat. West Ham got the tactics spot on. Maybe a game too many for us as well.

Corholio wrote: »
    Rare off night from Martinez tonight, will feel disappointed about 2 of the goals. A very poor night overall, never got going at all. Not sure I agree with the whole 'figured the team out' stuff though, I think that's a very generic thing to say after poor performances. Team looks tired, physically and mentally, tonight more than anything else imo. Starting lineup needs freshening up, can see Sanson and Trez in for next game.

Nah, blaming tiredness is too easy. Two games in a row we've been played off the park. Got lucky vs Southampton but West Ham got the result they deserved tonight.

I explained what they did already so I won't bore ye again but we have been out thought and out played two games on a row. Both teams approached it differently but the effect was similar.
    Smith needs to make adjustments now and he also needs to make some in game. Not every game is going to go plan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

JPA wrote: »
    2 touches leading to goals. WTF

A lot of things happen in between his poor touch and the goals. Very harsh to blame him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

The tone was set very early on conceded too many free kicks and kept giving the ball away. We didn’t deserve anything from the game but I also thought West Ham were good they played like a team who deserved to be in 5th. DS needs to have a look at how we’re going to play out the 2nd half of the season.

Easy Rod wrote: »
    A lot of things happen in between his poor touch and the goals. Very harsh to blame him.

No, I am going to blame him. The ball bounced off him twice, that is basic stuff unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Anyone wanna take a stab at how many good games Barkley has had for us?

Not fully sure how he plays every game when fit. He doesn’t do enough to deserve that.

I can't believe we don't have another fit premier league striker. The lack of no other fit PL striker is killing us.
    It's criminal that we went down that route in the summer, worse again it wasn't addressed last month.
    And Traore or El Gazhi as striker is not a solution.

CSF wrote: »

Not fully sure how he plays every game when fit. He doesn’t do enough to deserve that.

It was a coup to get him, I wonder does Smith feel some kind of obligation to play him? He should definitely be benched Saturday for me.

CSF wrote: »

His reputation and big salary gets him into the team.
    Before the Sanson signing, there was only Nakamba and Houihane to challenge him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

rebelomar wrote: »
    Nah, blaming tiredness is too easy. Two games in a row we've been played off the park. Got lucky vs Southampton but West Ham got the result they deserved tonight.

I explained what they did already so I won't bore ye again but we have been out thought and out played two games on a row. Both teams approached it differently but the effect was similar.
    Smith needs to make adjustments now and he also needs to make some in game. Not every game is going to go plan!

Not necessarily blaming losing on tiredness but the zip between players and the usual concentration was clearly not there, even from early on. Never played it fast enough to break West Ham lines, Barkley was guilty of this often. West Ham deserved it of course. Sanson looked lively when he came on, fully expect him and other changes for Arsenal.

Advertisement