Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

sc86 wrote: »
    I hope im wrong but barkley looks yet another very over rated english player.

I think he’s been a little bit better today but I’m still not impressed with him overall.

We’ve not been great again today, not sure if the early goal changed our mentality or we’ve just regressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭LeBash

Brilliant first half. Created a couple of good chances, improvement everywhere on the West Ham game. Arsenal haven't really created anything and the only real chance came from a free kick.

Nakamba on the yellow is a but of a worry, he's broken up a fair bit of play but I'd still be looking at getting him out of there in the next 15 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

rebelomar wrote: »
    Great start. Very well done for Traore for the goal. Very very sharp play.

Our midfield is a wasteland again. Only looks a matter of time here.

When did we become a long ball team all of a sudden. Not in the big Sam mould but the centre backs and GK are hoofing it a lot.

I have to agree.

What has happened to the team that went to Old Trafford and matched them possession wise?

Since the second half of the Burnley game our CM just hasn't be at it.

And this has resulted in a huge drop in the amount of ball we are getting to our one world class player Grealish.

Barkley is playing better today, but I think since he has returned the shape to our CM has changed to accommodate him and it hasn't been to our betterment.

We should have one game plan, get the ball to Grealish as much as is possible in a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Looked much more solid in that half than previous game, closing down quickly in Arsenals half has been very good. Need to use ball a bit better though, just a bit messy at times. Cash excellent, Traore influential again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Great to have the lead but I think we're in danger of more yellows or a red if things continue as they were. Too many balls over the top are leading to fouls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

CSF wrote: »
    I think he’s been a little bit better today but I’m still not impressed with him overall.

We’ve not been great again today, not sure if the early goal changed our mentality or we’ve just regressed.

Hes not the 30 million pound international youd expect

sc86 wrote: »
    Hes not the 30 million pound international youd expect

I wouldn’t dream of paying that for him, but if we can get him for a more reasonable price, he would be a decent addition to the squad, but nothing like a marquee signing no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭pavb2

Need to be a bit more on the frOnt foot and get Grealish in the game otherwise I think an Arsenal goal is inevitable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

CSF wrote: »
    I wouldn’t dream of paying that for him, but if we can get him for a more reasonable price, he would be a decent addition to the squad, but nothing like a marquee signing no.

30 million would be the lower end of what we would have to pay I would guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

That's dire from Barkley. His fitness is way off the mark. He was knackered by the time he had a swing at it

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

He is better than Hourihane but not worth the cash we'd have to pay plus I'm sure huge wages.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

We need to put these to bed, they aren't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

rebelomar wrote: »
    That's dire from Barkley. His fitness is way off the mark. He was knackered by the time he had a swing at it

He loses a lot of 50-50s with what looks like lack of effort. Compare that with the tracking back that Watkins did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭Patser

This is russian roulette we're playing - no control of midfield, just you have a chance, we'll have a chance - so all down to who takes theirs.

really with the lead we should be trying to control it more, take more time

The tide is turning here, need to make a change. Alas Smith won't make it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Things opening up a bit now. think we need to make a change in the midfield

Will we ever get to see Sanson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Makes a change on the wings.

It's the midfield needs changing. Barkley needs to come off or sit deeper and help us build up a bit more

Barkley off for Luiz or Sanson please Mr. Smith thank you.

I'd bring Nakamaba and Barkley off. Nakamba on a yellow and has a couple of fouls this half. Barkley not working hard enough this half when we are under pressure

• Advertisement

Barkley off for Luiz or Sanson please Mr. Smith thank you.

Or Davis:P

Luiz on asap please

So much space for them on edge of our box, Luiz for McGinn I'd offer too

Smith is running us into the ground. Barkely offering nothing McGinn getting bypassed. Nakamba on a yellow.

Luiz must be injured

And just to confuse us all Ramsey is coming on for Barkley. But at least it's a change and ramsey has been good when coming on in other games

Ramsey coming on...

So £14 million doesn't get you better than 19 y.o academy recruit

Barkley throwing a strop , gimp

Barkley kicking a bottle away as if he had any influence on the game.

How did that not fall to any of the three standing there?

• Advertisement

Wow, some strike Grealish, unlucky

Poor attitude from Barkley there. He started the second half well but had been out of the game for the last 15 minutes

Mings is so much better with no time to be casual

Barkley kicking a bottle away as if he had any influence on the game.

First kick he's had in the last 30 minutes.

Barkley can go back to Chelsea with that attitude.

He better drop barkley , but i doubt he has the balls

LeBash wrote: »
    Barkley can go back to Chelsea with that attitude.

We look much more dangerous with Ramsey chasing and pressing high up.

Watkins must have 2 hearts. What a super player.

We've missed some good chances in the last 10 minutes. Hopefully they don't come back to bite us.

• Advertisement

Still hasn't shored up midfield though, 87th minute ...

Mings man of the match, still time for his cursory mistake.

Good win. We defended well and created some good counters but did get a bit lucky at times too.

A great win but we're not really playing well at present.

Need to pick it up, a good team would have beaten us today.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Very impressive result.

Only got to watch from the 55m onwards (was getting updates before then) and even though Arsenal dominated the possession and were able to bring on the likes of Aubameyang and Odergard I'd argue the most clear cut chances fell to Watkins/Grealish and even Ramsey.

Defensively Villa looked solid and that is now 11 clean sheets this season already and Watkins getting on the score sheet again. Above Spurs now too.

All that said if a team other than Arsenal had all that possession maybe we would have been punished but, we weren't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Ming’s excellent today.

Already have the same number of points as after the whole of last season

Some change in a short space of time

JPA wrote: »
    30 million would be the lower end of what we would have to pay I would guess.

Don’t pay it then. He isn’t worth that.

Excellent defensively today. Ground out the win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Great win, handled that second half really well. Defended superb when some pressure came on, as you'd expect it to be. Mings excellent, organised that defence brilliantly. Watkins is such an asset, such a pest for defenders. I thought McGinn 2nd half was good defensively, broke up a good amount of play there. Great response to West Ham game. I think some have the higher end of expectations as default now and are perhaps unnecessarily critical even when winning imo. It's outstanding where Villa are right now.

Double over Arsenal, 4 goals scored and none conceded.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Another win and I think we will be safe from relegation :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement