Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

CSF wrote: »
    Don’t pay it then. He isn’t worth that.

No, I don't think I would sign him, he doesn't contribute enough, prone to niggling injuries, doesn't work hard enough, doesn't seem fit enough, doesn't have the body shape of a PL footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

First double over Arsenal since 92/93.

Have won 11 out of 12 league games after taking the lead.

We're on 35 points, what we finished with last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

I thought Cash and Targett were our best players today, defence and Emi won us that match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I don’t really get the moaning on here. The progress from last season has been incredible and there’s nothing but negativity during the game. Some of the players look a bit tired and the standards might be dropping a bit, but they just beat Arsenal, who have been on a decent run in recent weeks and have a much better squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

JPA wrote: »
    No, I don't think I would sign him, he doesn't contribute enough, prone to niggling injuries, doesn't work hard enough, doesn't seem fit enough, doesn't have the body shape of a PL footballer.

He's just so thick as well, every thing is played off the cuff from him, not sure he's coachable at all.

Esse85 wrote: »
    He's just so thick as well, every thing is played off the cuff from him, not sure he's coachable at all.

I'd say that's it, he's not coachable.
    Talented no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Great result.

Mings rock solid. His most impressive display of the season. Very good.

Martinez back to his usual standards.

Ramsey really looks to have something about him. Looks talented and full of belief. More of him please.

I wouldn't make any final judgement on Barkley yet. He's not fit enough at the moment. Let's see if he can kick on. .

If we can improve our midfield play it will make big difference to us, especially with Watkins now in such good scoring form.

5 points off a champions league place with a game in hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

fullstop wrote: »
    I don’t really get the moaning on here. The progress from last season has been incredible and there’s nothing but negativity during the game. Some of the players look a bit tired and the standards might be dropping a bit, but they just beat Arsenal, who have been on a decent run in recent weeks and have a much better squad.

Don't get it myself. I'm absolutely chuffed this season.

I thought anything above 15th would be great this season and that's pretty much secured now. If we keep Grealish again and add to this squad we have to serious chance in 2-3 years of Champions League.

• Advertisement

It's not moaning, it's simply analysing the situation. For me, I want the team to achieve the absolute maximum it can, rather than just being happy to not be relegated.

This team has shown it is something a bit special this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Good result.. yea Barkley looks off it in my opinion.. Marvellous at least trying and working his socks off. We weren't at our best but got the three points lads so il take that everyday. Ollie puts in a shift and will defo be a lot more of a polished striker next season or two. Targett and Cash very very good.. told the lads in work Cash will get an England call up thats how highly i rate him.. Mings good too but as we know he loves a clanger every now and then. Enjoying my cuppa cans this evening. :D

Carry on the way we are You would also wonder if any one of Ollie, Konsa and Targett might also get a call up and have a chance of making the Euros. Ollie’s goals and 11 clean sheets speaks for itself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

How much of an effect is Terry having on that back line?

11 cleans sheets so far, he was one of the best defenders that ever played the game

Must be worth something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

11 cleans sheets so far, he was one of the best defenders that ever played the game

Must be worth something

Last season he was being slaughtered for it being terrible. The only addition to last years coaching staff is Shakespeare. It might just be momentum and continuity though coupled with Emi and Cash obviously being huge additions to the personnel.

Must be worth something

Difficult to know. Maybe we'll see an affect after he leaves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

CSF wrote: »
    Last season he was being slaughtered for it being terrible. The only addition to last years coaching staff is Shakespeare. It might just be momentum and continuity though coupled with Emi and Cash obviously being huge additions to the personnel.

Has to be a combination of Emi , cash and nuisance players like Watkins up front.

I don't think it's down to one thing. Depending on the game all these things combine together to alleviate the back line.

listermint wrote: »
    Has to be a combination of Emi , cash and nuisance players like Watkins up front.

I don't think it's down to one thing. Depending on the game all these things combine together to alleviate the back line.

Yeah, I would say the biggest factor is Emi, but that there are many contributing factors.

Yes, it’s like we have just clicked almost overnight, in simple terms the players we have brought in eg Cash,EMI, Watkins & Traore have been better quality and the ones we had last year have significantly improved Konsa, Targett, Luis

• Advertisement

In fairness after the lockdown break last season the defensive improvement was remarkable. Smith and Terry have to get a lot of credit for that. That has carried into this season and been even better with the additions etc.

Corholio wrote: »
    In fairness after the lockdown break last season the defensive improvement was remarkable. Smith and Terry have to get a lot of credit for that. That has carried into this season and been even better with the additions etc.

It’s true, but it’s different now. Last season Villa came out to be a defensive team. Now Villa are an attacking team who can defend really well, which is monumental progress that I personally wouldn’t have seen coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

chelsea looking for closer to 40m for barkley during the summer according to a few chelsea ITK's on twitter
    I would be wary of even paying 20m for him to be honest.

I reckon he did not do himself any favours with his antics after being subbed against arsenal
    I know he is not fully fit but he was strolling about whilst the team was breaking a nut to get back and defend..i know he has a wonder goal or two in him but i would rather someone who can track back and be a team player.

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    chelsea looking for closer to 40m for barkley during the summer according to a few chelsea ITK's on twitter
    I would be wary of even paying 20m for him to be honest.

I reckon he did not do himself any favours with his antics after being subbed against arsenal
    I know he is not fully fit but he was strolling about whilst the team was breaking a nut to get back and defend..i know he has a wonder goal or two in him but i would rather someone who can track back and be a team player.

I also wouldn’t pay 20 million for him unless he comes good in a big way. I think Leeds paid about that for Raphinha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Think this is all a bit over the top, Barkley is a far better player than Raphina, he's only 27 and has over 30 caps for England, he's got some unquestionable issues regarding his fitness and we certainly need capable players to rotate in for him on occasion but at £20m he would be an absolute steal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Think this is all a bit over the top, Barkley is a far better player than Raphina, he's only 27 and has over 30 caps for England, he's got some unquestionable issues regarding his fitness and we certainly need capable players to rotate in for him on occasion but at £20m he would be an absolute steal.

Well based on the evidence so far this season i would have to disagree with you completely.

Barkley is hugely overrated and i hope we stay clear of him as to buy he would mean having to pay way over what he is really worth.

Raphina by the way is running the whole game for Leeds tonight, he is a top quality player.

• Advertisement

Raphinha has looked levels above Barkley this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Looks like Webster and Lamperty will be out for Saturday.

LeBash wrote: »
    Looks like Webster and Lamperty will be out for Saturday.

Lamptey has been out forever but Webster will be a loss to what has been a very solid defence.

CucaFace wrote: »
    Well based on the evidence so far this season i would have to disagree with you completely.

Barkley is hugely overrated and i hope we stay clear of him as to buy he would mean having to pay way over what he is really worth.

Raphina by the way is running the whole game for Leeds tonight, he is a top quality player.

Not to mention the massive wages Barkley would demand.
    English tax on transfer fees and salaries is so inflated its a joke.

Anyone fancy Grealish for PFA player of the year?
    Currently 10/1, Fernandes firm favourite at 5/4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Only way he wins it is if we managed top 4 really, he'll be nominated but can't see a route to him winning it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Anyone fancy Grealish for PFA player of the year?
    Currently 10/1, Fernandes firm favourite at 5/4

I got him at 40-1 at start of season so pretty pleased. I’d probably take a cash out option if given though as I reckon Fernandes will (undeservedly) win it providing United don’t completely fall apart

It's the players voting and he is outstanding in most games. Fernandes, as good as he is, is not terrorising defences, whereas Grealish could have 2, 3 or 4 players on him.

This isn't me saying he is going to win or deserves to win, but from a betting perspective I think he could be a surprise.

Any ideas when voting takes place in this compressed season?

It's the players voting and he is outstanding in most games. Fernandes, as good as he is, is not terrorising defences, whereas Grealish could have 2, 3 or 4 players on him.

This isn't me saying he is going to win or deserves to win, but from a betting perspective I think he could be a surprise.

Any ideas when voting takes place in this compressed season?

He does deserve to win imo. But I don’t see it. It’s a very narrative driven award.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Villa's game against Sheffield United on the weekend of March 20th has been postponed after they progressed to the quarter-finals. Villa likely to play Spurs now on that date, depending on how they do in the Europa League.

No new injures for Villa ahead of tomorrow night's match at Brighton. Wesley should be back in full contact training next week, but will still be some time away from playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Tough game ahead of us tonight.

They are a team that are pretty good at keeping the ball well, and we don't do that well against teams like this.

I guess the fact we are away might help us as we seem to play better away from VP these days.

CucaFace wrote: »
    Tough game ahead of us tonight.

They are a team that are pretty good at keeping the ball well, and we don't do that well against teams like this.

I guess the fact we are away might help us as we seem to play better away from VP these days.

Tough game alright. But defo in the category of those you need to win if you want to make the push up the table.

Brighton will have several players out.

Wonder who will be left out in midfield.

We were cut apart and over run in the reverse fixture earlier this season.

Heard a stat that while Nakamba has been on the pitch for us, we haven't conceded a goal in the league.

Another stat I heard was that Martinez has punched the ball once this season.

I've no proof of above, I heard it on a couple of different podcasts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Heard a stat that while Nakamba has been on the pitch for us, we haven't conceded a goal in the league.

How many minutes of game time has he had?

matrim wrote: »
    How many minutes of game time has he had?

At least 3 starts and multiple sub appearances.

• Advertisement

Second half against Brighton was much better than the first last time, and then there was that penalty decision changed. Webster is a miss for Brighton. Barkley with a full week of training too, hopefully that should bring him more up to speed. He has played games with zero training sessions according to Smith.

Luiz back in the team ahead of Nakamba. That's the only change.

Luiz back in the team ahead of Nakamba. That's the only change.

Brighton team on paper isn't great but is greater than the sum of its parts. Barkley will need to put in work...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Get stuck in here and bury these lads. Couple of goals first half and nip this in the bud. Thank you.

Jack has a good scoring record against this lot. Let's hope it continues.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Not at the races again.

Very sloppy so far.
    No quality in the end third at all.

I'd say he will realise Smith and make the required changes. In the 88th minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Yep, in a battle here, and being out muscled in midfield again, as Barkley is a passenger...again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

So lethargic and sloppy. Very poor performance so far.

Advertisement