Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

McGinn getting into the box was key to that goal.

Really the obvious solution to this side going forward is to play McGinn in the advanced role instead of Barkley (who drops to the bench) and bring Sansom in.

McGinns qualities are really more suited to the final 3rd of the pitch and i think that would work so well.

JPA wrote: »
    Get in.

WTF is wrong with Kasper?

Totally. He was a disgrace and at the very least should have been shown a yellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

CucaFace wrote: »
    McGinn getting into the box was key to that goal.

Really the obvious solution to this side going forward is to play McGinn in the advanced role instead of Barkley (who drops to the bench) and bring Sansom in.

McGinns qualities are really more suited to the final 3rd of the pitch and i think that would work so well.

I'm not sure what Sanson's preferred role is, but in the last match when he did come in, he played a very attacking role. So could just be a straight swap for Barkley

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Patser wrote: »
    I'm not sure what Sanson's preferred role is, but in the last match when he did come in, he played a very attacking role. So could just be a straight swap for Barkley

From everything I read when he was signed he would probably fill the McGinn position moreso (or at least the one he is being used in so he could replace Barkely while Mcginn gets pushed forward.

I'd worry Smith might think Barkely is needed with Grealish out though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Elmo really poor today, defensively and distribution. Cash such a big loss, hopefully he's not out too long. Barkley has given away some really stupid, simple balls today, 5 or 10 yard passes intercepted.

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »
    Elmo really poor today, defensively and distribution. Cash such a big loss, hopefully he's not out too long.

Him and Luiz on yellows is a worry too

Bring on Sanson and Davis for McGinn and Barkley

Sanson can play that energetic midfield with no clear role position McGinn has

Davis can easily be the ineffective attacking waste of space Barkley is playing, but he's taller so the ball might bounce off him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Not against Ramsey coming on but beginning to think Sanson wasn't a Dean Smith singing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Sanson for Luiz before he gets sent off.

Barkley sulking again...

edit: Still sulking behind a goal

edit, edit: Commentators saying he's thrown shinguards and socks into stands, still trudging back to tunnel

• Advertisement

rebelomar wrote: »
    Not against Ramsey coming on but beginning to think Sanson wasn't a Dean Smith singing

Would like to see him more too but I think he's just being bedded in really yet.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Sanson on 80 mins too late.

Barkley needs to have a word with himself.

Trez really needs to find some end product here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Barkley sulking again...

edit: Still sulking behind a goal

That sight of him walking off there was pathetic, absolute waste of space.

The less we have of Trez, AEG and Elmo in the startung line up the better.

Is Barkely having another strop for being subbed? The commentator on my stream is repeating that he isn't happy

Esse85 wrote: »
    That sight of him walking off there was pathetic, absolute waste of space.

The less we have of Trez, AEG and Elmo in the startung line up the better.

Unfortunately one of Trez/Elmo seems like they will have to start. Think Barkely was expecting to be playing his way into England contention not getting subbed off in most games. That said wouldn't mind him starting on the bench next match.

Targett has been v good today, and really has tried his best

Frustrating the first half was so poor, a lot better this half and kept the ball more efficiently. Elmo and Barkley the main culprits in that first half imo.

Positives: it was only 2. Traore played 90 mins.

Negatives: the usual positions, usual under performers, Barkley, McGinn, AEG.
    Smith's failure to address this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Less all over the place in the 2nd but really really low quality performances from most.

McGinn a great worker but might wanna do a few training drills with the ball at his feet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I think Smith has reached his limit with what he can do with this team.

P**s poor.

Ramsey and Sanson to start next game please. They gave us a foothold and energy at least.

McGinn needs to really have a look at himself and I wouldn't mind never seeing Barkley again if that's his attitude. He was awful and he throws a wobbler like that. Nah...get rid. Totally unfit.

Of course Grealish not playing is a massive blow but we've been poor for a while now with him.

Trez, Elmo were both so poor. No quality at all.

Positives: it was only 2. Traore played 90 mins.

Negatives: the usual positions, usual under performers, Barkley, McGinn, AEG.
    Smith's failure to address this.

Gotta agree with this. After their second I was fearing 4 or 5 and considering how good a side Leicester are this is respectable on paper but really Villa didn't deserve anything from this game and the reason the performance wasn't great is exactly what we all would have predicted beforehand. If we can all call the issues before a ball has been kicked Smith really should be able to see it too.

I agree with the praise for Targett though, my opinion of him has changed so much from last season.

Well it wasn't as bad as it could have been, after that start - even had a chance at get something at the end.

A good few players dug deep there, and showed pride but quality was missing and shows lack of depth in the squad. McGinn wasn't that bad, he got a lot of ball there in second half and was showing up all over the place. But Barkley is turning into a disaster - I wonder if his strops are frustration at himself, he can't argue he's not getting game time and played in preferred role.

And Trez, ah God bless him, he plays with his heart, tonnes of energy but how many cheap drag backs, poor control moments, losing the ball times can we take.....still better than El Ghazi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Now that's totally OTT.

Can it really be as simple as drop Barkely and play a more defensively minded CM be that Nakamba or Sanson?

Well it wasn't as bad as it could have been, after that start - even had a chance at get something at the end.

A good few players dug deep there, and showed pride but quality was missing and shows lack of depth in the squad. McGinn wasn't that bad, he got a lot of ball there in second half and was showing up all over the place. But Barkley is turning into a disaster - I wonder if his strops are frustration at himself, he can't argue he's not getting game time and played in preferred role.

And Trez, ah God bless him, he plays with his heart, tonnes of energy but how many cheap drag backs, poor control moments, losing the ball times can we take.....still better than El Ghazi

I'd say this is it exactly. Doubt he is having a go at Smith who has been giving him a great opportunity to play/start as an attacking midfielder even when he hasn't been great and or was only just returning to fitness but I made this move because he thought that given that opportunity he could play his way back into England contention, instead he is now being subbed off in games because he is actually being detrimental to the team with his lack of contribution. He knows he has the ability to do more (why he is being picked) but simply is not doing it (which is why he wasn't being picked at Chelsea).

rebelomar wrote: »
    P**s poor.

Ramsey and Sanson to start next game please. They gave us a foothold and energy at least.

McGinn needs to really have a look at himself and I wouldn't mind never seeing Barkley again if that's his attitude. He was awful and he throws a wobbler like that. Nah...get rid. Totally unfit.

Of course Grealish not playing is a massive blow but we've been poor for a while now with him.

Trez, Elmo were both so poor. No quality at all.

There's really nothing to play for this season now, therefore I'd rather see Ramsey and Sanson get the game time ahead of Barkley and prime them for next season.

My mind is made up on Barkley, whats the point having him halting the progress of the two above who have a future at the club.

Targett is such a revelation this season, his attitude and performances have improved so much.

Can it really be as simple as drop Barkely and play a more defensively minded CM be that Nakamba or Sanson?

Yes, partially - Nakamba playing allows Luiz and Mcginn a bit more freedom to get forward. Both of these have shown a lot more energy than Barkley, and can be creative. Equally they both have shown an ability to score screamers from outside the box - so they provide presence, creativity and threat.

The wings remain a concern now though.

Cash on the right was great at supporting Traore and creating overlaps, space etc while having the speed to get back and defend. Elmo can't do that any more (I've great respect for Elmo, he's been a good, quiet professional and helped a lot at end of last season).

Grealish missing on the left, leaves a choice of Trez or El Ghazi.... they just can't compare...... or hold up the ball.... or cross...... or win frees......

Edit:

On the last point, is Wesley definitely a goner all season. If there was an option in centre, I'd push Watkins wide and use his pace and inteligence there rather than AEG or Trez. In fact I'd love to see an experiment of Davis starting a match, with Watkins wide (I'm sick of Davis been thrown on in last minute hope and glory when all structure of team is sacrificed, give the lad a try out from the start in 1 game at least)

• Advertisement

Barkley can't sprint, would love to see stats on how often he sprints, still looks like he's carrying extra weight too which contributes to him still being unfit.

There's really nothing to play for this season now, therefore I'd rather see Ramsey and Sanson get the game time ahead of Barkley and prime them for next season.

My mind is made up on Barkley, whats the point having him halting the progress of the two above who have a future at the club.

Targett is such a revelation this season, his attitude and performances have improved so much.

Agreed. I was very critical of Targett. He's really turned it around. Fair play to the lad.

Now that's totally OTT.

Yeah it is.

One thought though, Barkley would have been a perfect option to bring on with 20 minutes left when chasing a goal.

Is Barkely having another strop for being subbed? The commentator on my stream is repeating that he isn't happy

The English commentators are so annoying.

At least 3 times again during this game they are giving excuses for why Barkley is garbage.

Apparently he is still crap now because of the 2 weeks our training ground was closed due to covid.... :rolleyes:

Yes of course that makes sense. Thats why he gives away the ball so much in the first 10 minutes of the games, because somehow he still isnt fit after playing 75 mins plus in 7 straight matches.

Now that's totally OTT.

A bit like McGinns shooting today :)

Now that's totally OTT.

It might be OTT for now.

But by the end of next season this is will be the huge question i have no doubt about for the owners of the club if they really have big ambitions or not.

Smiths tactical weakness and inability to see the basics happening in front of him during the games and to ever try and do something to alter this in a timely manner will hinder the clubs ambitions.

So far the evidence from watching Smith is that he doesn't do change of any sorts. That's going to be an issue for sure.

• Advertisement

McGinn played much better second half, coincidence or not when Barkley went off. Ramsey who came on even did more with the ball. Fitness excuse isn't valid when you can't play 10 yard passes to a teammate. Smith got the lineup wrong for sure, and in previous games too.

Saying all that it's absolutely bonkers to say Smith has reached his limit with the season it's been. The limit last season with some was that he was gonna take us down, and now the limit is because we're slightly falling away from European places? Madness. I think some increase their expectations to make it easier to criticise imo. The progress has been fantastic, but much like the improvement after lockdown last season, some are loath to give Smith any credit whatsoever.

Corholio wrote: »
    McGinn played much better second half, coincidence or not when Barkley went off. Ramsey who came on even did more with the ball. Fitness excuse isn't valid when you can't play 10 yard passes to a teammate. Smith got the lineup wrong for sure, and in previous games too.

Saying all that it's absolutely bonkers to say Smith has reached his limit with the season it's been. The limit last season with some was that he was gonna take us down, and now the limit is because we're slightly falling away from European places? Madness. I think some increase their expectations to make it easier to criticise imo. The progress has been fantastic, but much like the improvement after lockdown last season, some are loath to give Smith any credit whatsoever.

I do think that one strength Smith showed during lockdown last season was an ability to adapt. That is a very good trait in a manager and one that he can lean on when faced with another mini-crisis like this loss of form. If he can reset the mindset among the team again he will be a lot of the way towards putting us back in contention for a top finish.

We have looked very reactive and lacking in energy for the past few games and we need a spark from somewhere. Leicester had an away game in Europe midweek and yet they came out with twice the energy and urgency that we showed.

I think we need a bit of a shake-up in our line-up to change things. the team that finished for us was more energetic but it has to be admitted that they just sat back with some defensive subs.

CucaFace wrote: »
    It might be OTT for now.

But by the end of next season this is will be the huge question i have no doubt about for the owners of the club if they really have big ambitions or not.

Smiths tactical weakness and inability to see the basics happening in front of him during the games and to ever try and do something to alter this in a timely manner will hinder the clubs ambitions.

So far the evidence from watching Smith is that he doesn't do change of any sorts. That's going to be an issue for sure.

It’s clear that Smith is very flawed. He could have been sacked pre-lockdown break last season and not been able to have a single complaint.

However, if you actually look at what he has achieved in his 2 years at Villa, he took over a team underachieving in the middle of the Championship, with a squad full of 50% players who were not going to be under contract for the following season, including some of our key loan players.

2 years later we’re now a side with a settled (albeit still thin) squad, with games in hand that could see us upto 6th in the Premier League. That is huge progress after about 10 consecutive seasons of no progress.

Could you potentially go out and bring in someone who can take us to the next level? Yes, but I think if any club has seen that the grass isn’t greener on the other side it’s us.

Smith will be learning lessons also, competing at a new level, and while it’s frustrating that 2 years in a row we’re upset about underperforming loans signings retaining a guaranteed place, I think the good still massively outweighs the bad.

Panrich wrote: »
    I do think that one strength Smith showed during lockdown last season was an ability to adapt. That is a very good trait in a manager and one that he can lean on when faced with another mini-crisis like this loss of form. If he can reset the mindset among the team again he will be a lot of the way towards putting us back in contention for a top finish.

We have looked very reactive and lacking in energy for the past few games and we need a spark from somewhere. Leicester had an away game in Europe midweek and yet they came out with twice the energy and urgency that we showed.

I think we need a bit of a shake-up in our line-up to change things. the team that finished for us was more energetic but it has to be admitted that they just sat back with some defensive subs.

I think by and large adapting is what he has been weakest at, in game and during poor runs of form. He’s not great at making a change that makes us look better.

The way he tightened up the defence to keep us up last season was impressive though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

This is very reactionary, very clearly there are issues to address and it is slightly concerning that Smith is failing to address them, but we have been massively outperforming expectations so far this year.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/sistoney67/status/1363533731504488461

BBC saying Grealish out for a month, ok there's an international break in there too, but I'm glad we're not in a relegation dog fight either

https://twitter.com/sistoney67/status/1363533731504488461

BBC saying Grealish out for a month, ok there's an international break in there too, but I'm glad we're not in a relegation dog fight either

Deano has said he’s game to game and that it won’t be a longterm one, so I dunno

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Calling for smiths head is a bit much lads , we have short memory

Surely the poster that said that was caught up in the moment. We've improved massively year on year with Smith in charge, even if it's 14th we finish this year, it's improvement and we've been entertaining.
    Another 5-6 signings needed in the summer with the likes of Taylor, Engels, Elmo, AEG, Trez, Davis all hopefully leaving.

Surely the poster that said that was caught up in the moment. We've improved massively year on year with Smith in charge, even if it's 14th we finish this year, it's improvement and we've been entertaining.
    Another 5-6 signings needed in the summer with the likes of Taylor, Engels, Elmo, AEG, Trez, Davis all hopefully leaving.

I like Trez. Never wanna see him on the left again though, that was ugly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

The expectations are getting a little out of control. We are safe as houses and look to be on a top half finish, 2 years after being bottom half of the Championship. We lost by 1 goal to 3rd in the PL.

Smith is doing a great job.

LeBash wrote: »
    The expectations are getting a little out of control. We are safe as houses and look to be on a top half finish, 2 years after being bottom half of the Championship. We lost by 1 goal to 3rd in the PL.

Smith is doing a great job.

I think the Smith future conversation was only 1 person so are we maybe getting a bit hyperbolic with our dismissal of it by now?

The biggest thing that makes me positive for the future is that our back 5 is completely settled for next season, no doubts about it, and our striker.

Smith needs to get to grips with the other 4 spots in the team that aren’t Jack (especially if City come after Doug) but a) the likes of Traore and Sanson will surely improve in a 2nd season to become more important players in the team and b) it’s much better to have a couple of areas to concentrate our recruitment on than our last decade of constant overhauls.

Even this summer we desperately needed a goalkeeper, a RB, a number 10 and a striker, before even looking at strengthening the depth of the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Do we need a number 10? Most teams don't play with one. We have Barkley at the moment and I don't know what he is, he's no playmaker.

Do we need a number 10? Most teams don't play with one. We have Barkley at the moment and I don't know what he is, he's no playmaker.

We need the option of one unless we’re gonna move Jack centrally as his main position and prioritise a wide left player instead.

I would certainly like to see what a Luiz, McGinn, Sanson midfield would look like before the end of the season. I know McGinn and Sanson have been discussed as similar so would like to know if they can be complementary or fighting each other for 1 place in the team.

I didn't call for his head FYI I just think he's reached his limit. I can't see him being able to push on for Europe and beyond with how things have gone the last month or so, his game management has been poor and he hasn't addressed the problems on a game to game basis.

• Advertisement
Advertisement