Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Bring on Davis!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Nakamba can't pass wind. Respect the effort though

*edit has he made a successful pass second half? Haha

Might be worth Taylor for Targett, he might be on thin ice now

Sanson in for Ramsey - Luiz and Barkley still on bench, Barkley still looks like he's sulking

Would still like a bit more energy up front, especially on wings to hold up ball. Barkley's tricks could do that if he can play El Ghazi's position

Edit: Trez getting ready

How in the name of God is Traore still on the pitch. Such a liability tonight

Trez on for El Ghazi, who looks shattered, so fair enough. Traore has survived on pitch though

Martinez can't take kick outs - that's worrying

Rock solid again.

We played no football again and it was a dire watch! Not a fan. Think we should be passing the ball much better.

But...another fine result.....so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Brilliant result.
    Another clean sheet.
    Performance wasn't great.
    Defense didn't look like conceding.
    We showed we can win without Jack.
    Nakamba was my man of the match.
    70+ mins for Ramsey.

• Advertisement

What a great win!!!

We're not a 1 man team!

And fair play to Smith, starting Nakamba and Ramsey, changing tactics and nullifying Bielsa's Leeds.

Mings was immense, Konsa to ultimate partnership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Huge win. Deano needed to change it up and that’s exactly what he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Second half a lot more comfortable than I thought, Leeds best chance of the game came in the 88th minute. Could have been more expansive but would have allowed Leeds more of their game then I think. Ramsey impressed, gave lot more energy in there. El Ghazi very good first half.

Amazing stat they put up in the second half that Villa have dropped the least points (3) from a winning position of any team in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Great win. The CM was much better without Barkley.

Ramsey is such a nice and tidy player and will improve a lot more I'm sure given time on the pitch to learn his trade and get more confident.

How Smith decided to not to take Traore off is just beyond me however, he was brutal from start to finish and Leeds only looked dangerous from times he gave the ball away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Love it.

When we scored I thought we're not winning this 1 nil, but here we are.

Nakamba was excellent.

Probably the most lacklustre performance from Leeds this season that I have seen. Villa contributed to that of course.

Still no league goal conceded with Nakamba on the pitch, that's at least 4 games he's started and several subs appearances.

I thought McGinn played better than he has in recent games.

rebelomar wrote: »
    Rock solid again.

We played no football again and it was a dire watch! Not a fan. Think we should be passing the ball much better.

But...another fine result.....so...

The pitch was shocking, it would have been very difficult to play decent football on that.

Up to 8th with 1/3rd of season to go, ahead of Spurs and Arsenal, 1 point behind Liverpool with a game in hand.

The turn around since Smith took over is seismic

CucaFace wrote: »
    The pitch was shocking, it would have been very difficult to play decent football on that.

It definitely favoured us over Leeds I felt.
    Even running on it in certain parts looked difficult.

• Advertisement

CucaFace wrote: »

The pitch was brutal alright but that's not an excuse. Same for both teams. Still a great result of course.

Esse85 wrote: »
    It definitely favoured us over Leeds I felt.
    Even running on it in certain parts looked difficult.

Yes totally agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Absolutely spot on from Smith tactically. The complete opposite of the reverse fixture. Very impressive professional performance. Completely changed the way we play today and it was so effective. Rubbish to watch but I rank it high on our list of performances this season as there was a fear that Smith didn’t have the ability to move to a plan B. No idea why Traore wasn’t taken off though!

Esse85 wrote: »
    Still no league goal conceded with Nakamba on the pitch, that's at least 4 games he's started and several subs appearances.

I thought McGinn played better than he has in recent games.

Nakamba when we didn't have the ball was immense. On the ball he was appalling.

He's perfect for a game you expect to be under the cosh, however his ceiling as a player is very low.

I respect his commitment and efforts though. Great attitude.

Martinez had a tight groin, hopefully no lasting damage, especially from that pitch.

Mings excellent again today as well, such an important player.

Corholio wrote: »
    Martinez had a tight groin, hopefully no lasting damage, especially from that pitch.

Mings excellent again today as well, such an important player.

He’s put together a mistake free run alright, and no doubting what he brings to the team when he’s not David Luizing it.

• Advertisement

Mad how much the feeling can change in 6 days. 3 good fixtures next on paper too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

CSF wrote: »
    Mad how much the feeling can change in 6 days. 3 good fixtures next on paper too.

I think seeing Luiz and Barkley 'rested' helped the mood. We had a lot more energy against a hard pressing Leeds team.

Panrich wrote: »
    I think seeing Luiz and Barkley 'rested' helped the mood. We had a lot more energy against a hard pressing Leeds team.

I don’t think Barkley comes back in against Sheff United. The only change I would make would be one of the harsher ones. I’d bring Douglas back in for Nakamba.

Nakamba is great against teams who like to have a lot of the ball, but I feel horses for courses should prevail and while the right DM was chosen today and it worked great, the right one should be chosen on Wednesday too.

Other than that, unchanged 11 as long as everyone is fit. Sanson in for Ramsey is the only one I would somewhat consider reasonable, but I wouldn’t actually do it myself.

I don’t think Barkley comes back in against Sheff United. The only change I would make would be one of the harsher ones. I’d bring Douglas back in for Nakamba.

Nakamba is great against teams who like to have a lot of the ball, but I feel horses for courses should prevail and while the right DM was chosen today and it worked great, the right one should be chosen on Wednesday too.

Other than that, unchanged 11 as long as everyone is fit. Sanson in for Ramsey is the only one I would somewhat consider reasonable, but I wouldn’t actually do it myself.

I'd have no issue seeing Nakamba back on the bench for the next game, pick the players for the game and opposition. We need ball players against Sheffield United.

• Advertisement

I'd keep Nakamba, and bring Luiz in for McGinn or Ramsey. Let Luiz have some freedom to attack as well

Patser wrote: »
    I'd keep Nakamba, and bring Luiz in for McGinn or Ramsey. Let Luiz have some freedom to attack as well

Do you think Luiz would be as good for providing the attacking energy that McGinn or Ramsey does though?

Sheff United are ravaged with injuries at the moment. I feel like 2 primarily defensive mids (albeit different kinds) would be a bit too much.

McGinn could potentially get a rare rest but I’d give that spot to Sanson.

Yes, Luiz has shown lots of potential going forward when allowed to do so. He's shown both the ability to pick out a pass to runners, and to score screamers. I feel he'd add a lot more presence then McGinn at the moment, or ability than Ramsey.

It's a good dilemma for Smith to have. Against Sheffield Utd, it might be better to drop Nakamba though, as we'll need creativity more than disruptiveness to break them down

Luiz Sanson Ramsey against Sheffield United.

McGinn needs a rest. Although I'd imagine Barkley will be back in, could surely do damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Patser wrote: »
    Yes, Luiz has shown lots of potential going forward when allowed to do so. He's shown both the ability to pick out a pass to runners, and to score screamers. I feel he'd add a lot more presence then McGinn at the moment, or ability than Ramsey.

It's a good dilemma for Smith to have. Against Sheffield Utd, it might be better to drop Nakamba though, as we'll need creativity more than disruptiveness to break them down

I thought McGinn was brilliant yesterday but no doubt the deeper lying role doesn't show the best parts of him.

I thought Ramsey was out best MF last night tbh.

He had great energy and can really carry the ball and make a forward pass. That skillset is important especially now we don't have Grealish to get us up the pitch.

Early days but I've been nothing but impressed with him when he's played. He was certainly an improvement on Barkley the last few games.

I'd keep him in the team I think.

JPA wrote: »
    Luiz Sanson Ramsey against Sheffield United.

McGinn needs a rest. Although I'd imagine Barkley will be back in, could surely do damage.

Really don’t see Barkley being back given how much better we looked without him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

rebelomar wrote: »
    I thought Ramsey was out best MF last night tbh.

He had great energy and can really carry the ball and make a forward pass. That skillset is important especially now we don't have Grealish to get us up the pitch.

Early days but I've been nothing but impressed with him when he's played. He was certainly an improvement on Barkley the last few games.

I'd keep him in the team I think.

I've been impressed anytime I've seen him. Hasn't had that wow moment but just does the job he's asked, works hard and keeps the ball moving.

He has also shown good maturity with the ball when he's been put on later in games when we want to hold a lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Dont see why barkley would be put back in , he wasnt even in first 3 subs last night.

If grealish is back then slot him in , otherwise id leave it , be very harsh to drop anybody after that result.

You have to admire sheff utd , already down and still very hard to beat if your not on your game.
    Hopefully liverpool can fire a few past them tonight

Sheff Utd are awful.
    38 year old Phil Jagielka starting tonight.
    They don't look like scoring at all.

If Nakamba plays, we really need Ramsey and McGinn to play way ahead of him.

• Advertisement

sc86 wrote: »
    Dont see why barkley would be put back in , he wasnt even in first 3 subs last night.

If grealish is back then slot him in , otherwise id leave it , be very harsh to drop anybody after that result.

You have to admire sheff utd , already down and still very hard to beat if your not on your game.
    Hopefully liverpool can fire a few past them tonight
    Douglas in for Nakamba is a must.

Really don’t see Barkley being back given how much better we looked without him.

It's what I think will happen, not what I want to happen. I think Smith knew Barkley against Leeds was a recipie for disaster but there's less risk Wednesday.

JPA wrote: »
    It's what I think will happen, not what I want to happen. I think Smith knew Barkley against Leeds was a recipie for disaster but there's less risk Wednesday.

I’d be truly disgusted with Smith if he plays him and he is his usual self.

Yesterday felt like it was Smith turning a corner on his usual flaws.

Sheff Utd are garbage.
    We will have the bulk of the possession, we will need to unlock their poor defence and create chances and the selection needs to reflect that.

Lets forget about the Leeds game, that was an entirely different set of circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Jamie Carragher has just done a comparator piece of Villa before and after lockdown.

Unbelievable changes.

Essentially bottom of the table in metrics like goals scored, clean sheets defence etc before lockdown

Whatever Smith did, it’s a transformation. Only one other PL team has more away clean sheets since the league resuming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

And yet lads want him sacked last week

Everton very lucky to hold on for the win tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭basillarkin

I dont think many were actually calling for his head, most were just pointing out some of his flaws which every manager has, whether its local junior all the way to international. Its a discussion board, of course there will be differences, smith has done well, winning games by the odd goal, inc games where we have been starved of possession, keeping clean sheets, alot of which is down to the brilliannce of martinez.

Some here are frustrated with what seems to be his unwillingness to change things quickly, his stubborn to persist with certain players, while his lack of rotation in the squad earlier iker in this season looked like sending out the message, he didnt have complete trust in his extended squad.

Im not saying hes right or wrong but surely posters are aloud to voice an opinion. He has again done some job thus far. Is he the man to lead villa into the top 6 and be consistent in the PL. Jury still very much out on that one.

I think a total of one person displayed particularly negative sentiments towards him, but sure look. Solid point,

• Advertisement

Wouldn't be completely writing off Barkley yet, hopefully the dropping was a kick up the ass for him. Don't mind him starting certain games, although he does need to use his starts well now some have come in and played well.

Advertisement