Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Corholio wrote: »
    Wouldn't be completely writing off Barkley yet, hopefully the dropping was a kick up the ass for him. Don't mind him starting certain games, although he does need to use his starts well now some have come in and played well.

Yeah I honestly would not be shocked to see him come back in against Sheff Utd but I'd hope in the tougher games someone more defensive minded like Nakamba are given (at least form dependent).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

CSF wrote: »
    I think a total of one person displayed particularly negative sentiments towards him, but sure look. Solid point,

And we locked him back in the toilet, et voilá we won the next match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Jamie Carragher has just done a comparator piece of Villa before and after lockdown.

Unbelievable changes.

Essentially bottom of the table in metrics like goals scored, clean sheets defence etc before lockdown

Whatever Smith did, it’s a transformation. Only one other PL team has more away clean sheets since the league resuming.

Any link to that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

I think a total of one person displayed particularly negative sentiments towards him, but sure look. Solid point,

Did you miss out the comments on facebook , twitter etc ? There was plenty going ott

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

sc86 wrote: »
    Did you miss out the comments on facebook , twitter etc ? There was plenty going ott

I would advise to never read the comments section of anything for a happier life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Jaden Philogene-Bidace has signed a new contract at Villa. Lots of clubs sniffing round him and at one point it looked like his head was turned and he was on his way out. Seems a very good prospect from the talk about him. He travelled with the first team for the Leeds game too.

Jaysus, flashback to the bad old days - Bacuna has scored twice for Cardiff tonight. McCarthy is a miracle worker

We came through a tough run with 7 points out of 15.
    Next 3 are Sheffield United, Wolves and Newcastle. Should be looking for 7 points at least from those 3.

If Grealish is out for the next few weeks then it isn't a bad fixture list to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Grealish not travelling to the game, hoping to be on the training ground by end of the week.

Wesley back in full contact training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Tonight's game will be a tough enough one. Sheff Utd aren't as bad as their league and points total may show.

I certainly wouldn't be bringing Barkley back into the side as being able to get good possession will be key to winning this game and he seems to only hinder this.

I agree with the others saying Luiz should be brought in for this one.

CucaFace wrote: »
    Tonight's game will be a tough enough one. Sheff Utd aren't as bad as their league and points total may show.

I certainly wouldn't be bringing Barkley back into the side as being able to get good possession will be key to winning this game and he seems to only hinder this.

I agree with the others saying Luiz should be brought in for this one.

The table doesn't lie. They're not getting thumped every week, they're combative and difficult but they are losing most weeks, they have lost 21 of 26.

JPA wrote: »
    The table doesn't lie. They're not getting thumped every week, they're combative and difficult but they are losing most weeks, they have lost 21 of 26.

Yeah I think they’re really bad also, but hope tonight isn’t a rare performance from them

Thankfully Smith has said Martinez isn’t a worry and will be playing. We have the best possible backup but the guy has been on fire this season.

Esse85 wrote: »
    Grealish not travelling to the game, hoping to be on the training ground by end of the week.

Wesley back in full contact training.

Any updates on Cash?

JPA wrote: »

They have lacked the ability to score. Ive watched them a good few times and their build up play can be decent, often they just couldn't score.

I hope its similar tonight.

I'm just a little worried because of the huge inconsistency of our CM trio. If the CM turn up tonight we win for sure.

Patser wrote: »
    Any updates on Cash?

I read March 21 but then he said on Twitter 'back soon'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Unchanged team for game tonight.

https://twitter.com/AVFCOfficial/status/1367157873424420866

Oooh, interesting. Same team so Luiz and Barkley still on bench. Wonder what Douglas did

Corholio wrote: »
    Unchanged team for game tonight.

Great. Would not have been surprised if Barkley or Luiz came back in especially the latter but players being rewarded and earning a starting place after playing well and Smith not reverting to norm asap can only be a good thing. Ramsey and Nakamba having not been playing all season shouldn't need to be rested either but this should light a fire under Ramsey and Luiz when they do get a chance to get back in the team (which I would suspect at least one of them will against Wolves on Sunday unless the CM trio are amazing tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

One of my worries for that team is a lack of creativity if SU sit back. We already have problems with breaking down teams who defend deeply and the lack of Grealish and Luiz means we will have even less creativity.

matrim wrote: »
    One of my worries for that team is a lack of creativity if SU sit back. We already have problems with breaking down teams who defend deeply and the lack of Grealish and Luiz means we will have even less creativity.

Maybe if SU do sit back, McGinn will be allowed roam more. Ramsey loves getting forward too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Very sloppy start so far

Easy Rod wrote: »
    Very sloppy start so far

I was going to say more a very open game. We're managing better to draw them forward, and suffocate them in our half - while leaving lots of space for El Ghazi and Watkins to try exploit. McGinn and Ramsey definitely being allowed get forward a bit

Ah come on now, that's a good old fashioned sandwich, no effort to play the ball and Watkins squashed inside box by 2 defenders... is VAR even checking it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

How did var not even check that

Watkins is excellent

Damn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Elmo and Konsa both ball watching

• Advertisement

Watkins is excellent

This match is set up for Watkins to shine - SU desperate for a win being dragged forward, Watkins getting space to take on 38 year old Jagielka.......

And like that we're behind. Feck, how did they let that trickle through to him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

We've been very poor on the ball so far.

Traore unlucky. That would have been some goal

Is that the 1st goal conceded with Nakamba on the pitch all season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Nakamba will have to be taken off. He can't pass the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Is that the 1st goal conceded with Nakamba on the pitch all season

In the league yes, it was good while it lasted.

Not sure Nakamba was the man for the job tonight, bottom of the league fodder with no Jack or Barkley.

I think our record when we go behind is poor.

• Advertisement

God I miss Grealish

The more we see of McGinn the more you can se how limited he is from a technical point of view. He's a mid table level player at best.

It's all through Traore and Watkins - El Ghazi has gone missing (in fact entire left wing has, Targett and Ramsey also anonymous)

38 year old Jagielka nipping in to rob 19 year old Ramsey sums us up in that half.

It's all through Traore and Watkins - El Ghazi has gone missing (in fact entire left wing has, Targett and Ramsey also anonymous)

El Ghazi had some good runs in the first 20/25 minutes but his crosses were over hit

• Advertisement

HT - 1-0 down. Game is far from over, but Smith has questions to deal with with how he approached 2nd half.

At least the bench does have a lot of potential answers these days

Poor stuff. Looks like the wrong midfield for this game. It's a game for an (in form) Barkley, ie someone to break out from midfield, not hang around the box waiting for something.

Panrich wrote: »
    38 year old Jagielka nipping in to rob 19 year old Ramsey sums us up in that half.

That's what Ramsey has to learn. He's still so light, so if he tries to take a touch on a ball to his feet, he'll be a target for someone bigger to outmuscle him.

Shouldnt be losing this game. Have been unlucky.

But again Smith hasn't bothered to select his side based on the opposition, he has done what he does 95% of the time and just pick the exact same side as the last game and play with the same formation. There was no need for Nakamba to be selected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Get Barkley and Sanson on, time for one of them to step up

Jagielka could be in rouble..... RED after VAR

That's twice this season SU have had a centre back sent off for denying a runner, both a bit soft. But no excuses now, really could be a chance for Barkley to shine

VAR decision and Jagielka red card for denying a goal scoring opportunity. Probably correct decision but could have gone either way

No need for Nakamba at this stage.

would it be worth bringing in Trez for Elmo. Allow him and Traore to overlap and give us more attacking power on the right

Panrich wrote: »
    No need for Nakamba at this stage.

Yep. SU have made changes, sacrificed Brewter and shored up defensive midfield. Yet we still have a holding midfielder on....

And are crossing into an empty box!
    DAVIS this is your moment

• Advertisement
Advertisement