Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Barkley needs to stop being used. He was ineffective as always, but what he did at 0-0 having just been dropped for 2 games was unforgivable IMO.

He’s a waste of a squad slot. A Championship player who just hasn’t found his level yet.

Point of no return for him now for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

McGinn gets away with murder in this side. Totally disappeared again in that second half but will be guaranteed a start the next game.

Barkley did exactly what i thought he would do which was to bring nothing to the side. The turning part of our season was the actual return from injury of that useless and lazy player.

And Traore really is just so brainless on the ball its unbelievable.

I just wish Smith would have a pair of balls and give some of the youth players some time on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Hope Wesley actually has a chance of appearing in April, we've nothing on the bench to try and get a goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

matrim wrote: »
    Not denying that we need to replace elmo in the summer but I thought he was good today. Did what you needed from him and kept Traore quiet by not giving him the chance to run at him

Traore has done nothing this season and I'd say Elmo kicked away 40% of the ball he had second half.

Its grand saying he defended well but he's giving the ball away again every second touch. It's not good enough if you want to kick on up the league.

CucaFace wrote: »
    McGinn gets away with murder in this side. Totally disappeared again in that second half but will be guaranteed a start the next game.

Barkley did exactly what i thought he would do which was to bring nothing to the side. The turning part of our season was the actual return from injury of that useless and lazy player.

And Traore really is just so brainless on the ball its unbelievable.

I just wish Smith would have a pair of balls and give some of the youth players some time on the pitch.

McGinn hasn’t been good but I still think he’s lower down in our midfield problems. Luiz has been awful in 2021.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

CSF wrote: »
    McGinn hasn’t been good but I still think he’s lower down in our midfield problems. Luiz has been awful in 2021.

Whilst i agree with you about Luiz's form in 2021, i think a lot of that is down to the inability of the other 2 CM's ball retention to keep us further up the pitch.

McGinn just totally disappears in games, like in the second half today he may as well have not been playing. I think he is a very overrated player and is someone we need to get an upgrade for in that position in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

I’ve often accused people on this thread of being overly negative or being a bit hyperbolic in their criticism but I genuinely think that touch from Ross Barkley might be the worst thing I’ve ever seen in football. The thought process behind it, the arrogance to attempt it and the execution of it combined. Dumbfounded.

CucaFace wrote: »
    Whilst i agree with you about Luiz's form in 2021, i think a lot of that is down to the inability of the other 2 CM's ball retention to keep us further up the pitch.

McGinn just totally disappears in games, like in the second half today he may as well have not been playing. I think he is a very overrated player and is someone we need to get an upgrade for in that position in the summer.

Sanson is the player to replace him if he doesn’t step it up. 2 attacking/wide midfielders is a must in the summer and allow Luiz, Nakamba, McGinn, Sanson and Ramsey fight for 2 spots behind them.

Other than that, I feel a backup RB is all we really need, which is kind of ideal, considering the more players you have to sign, the less you can invest on getting ones that really make a difference for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I wonder if Luiz was one of the players who had covid and it's affecting him. He's been particularly poor since we came back after that covid outbreak

I wonder if Luiz was one of the players who had covid and it's affecting him. He's been particularly poor since we came back after that covid outbreak

Might be part of it, but hasn’t a big part of his problem been making stupid errors and then giving away free kicks in a dangerous error as a result?

Not sure his biggest failings have been physical ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

I would like to keep the back 4, GK and Jack in the starting 11, the other 5 positions can all be upgraded, just too much inconsistency and lack of quality amongst them. You just cannot rely on them.
    McGinn, Trez, AEG, Traore, Barkley, Watkins at times, all headless chickens.
    Luiz has been rubbish as well, covid related possibly.

I actually think having Wesley back is a curse as it will prevent us signing a decent striker in the summer. The guy was poor enough pre injury, wasn't getting into the box at all, never on the end of anything, went 4 games without a shot, he's been out for 18 months and people think he'll be a good option, no chance.

Jack has probably been looking on the past few games thinking WTF is he watching.

I think our wingers are too inconsistent but El Ghazi and Traore both pop up with goals every so often.

I'd like us to try a 5-3-2. Push the likes of Cash on and get Grealish central behind Watkins or the most advanced of a MF 3.

Martinez

Konsa Hause Mings

Cash Sanson Luiz Ramsey/ McGinn Targett

Grealish

Watkins

It might seem madness to break up the back four but it would give us more control of the play centrally imo. It would also give us added strength and threat at set pieces.

Esse85 wrote: »
    I would like to keep the back 4, GK and Jack in the starting 11, the other 5 positions can all be upgraded, just too much inconsistency and lack of quality amongst them. You just cannot rely on them.
    McGinn, Trez, AEG, Traore, Barkley, Watkins at times, all headless chickens.
    Luiz has been rubbish as well, covid related possibly.

I actually think having Wesley back is a curse as it will prevent us signing a decent striker in the summer. The guy was poor enough pre injury, wasn't getting into the box at all, never on the end of anything, went 4 games without a shot, he's been out for 18 months and people think he'll be a good option, no chance.

Jack has probably been looking on the past few games thinking WTF is he watching.

How do you upgrade 5 players though? You can certainly sign 5 players but you’re likely to get quantity rather than quality.

We had to sign players in that way when we were upgrading players like Neil Taylor, Guilbert etc in recent years, but signing a genuine upgrade on players like McGinn, Traore and Watkins, it’s hard to do that without spending megabucks.

From where we are now, gotta focus on 1 or 2 positions each window and look for players that will be improvements for 5+ years to come.

If the DOF can find cheap European gems in the meantime, and a few more young lads become first teamers in the meantime, even better.

How do you upgrade 5 players though? You can certainly sign 5 players but you’re likely to get quantity rather than quality.

We had to sign players in that way when we were upgrading players like Neil Taylor, Guilbert etc in recent years, but signing a genuine upgrade on players like McGinn, Traore and Watkins, it’s hard to do that without spending megabucks.

From where we are now, gotta focus on 1 or 2 positions each window and look for players that will be improvements for 5+ years to come.

If the DOF can find cheap European gems in the meantime, and a few more young lads become first teamers in the meantime, even better.

Didn't we upgrade on 5 players each of the last 2 seasons?
    I genuinely think we'd upgrade on McGinn and Traore with 2x £20m players.

A new £30m striker, maybe Abraham, could play Watkins on the left, maybe Jack centre.

I'd rather a better striker who doesn't have to work his b0llox off to make up for the short comings off the midfield.

Even watching Watkins, he seems to push so many chances onto his weaker left side. You look at any decent striker and they are always looking to get a shot in off their favourite foot.

A new £30m striker, maybe Abraham, could play Watkins on the left, maybe Jack centre.

I'd rather a better striker who doesn't have to work his b0llox off to make up for the short comings off the midfield.

Even watching Watkins, he seems to push so many chances onto his weaker left side. You look at any decent striker and they are always looking to get a shot in off their favourite foot.

We were upgrading from a much weaker base. In goals we were improving on nobody. Up front we were improving on nobody. At RB you were improving on Guilbert. Not completely convinced Traore and Barkley are upgrades yet on what was there before.

The more ‘upgrading’ you do, the harder it actually becomes to make improvements. Unless you can spend like City did of course. On our limited budget we’re better going for 2 statement signings that we know are better than what was there.

Look at it this way, if we’d not had to spend more than 40 million on Watkins and Martinez (positions we’d have otherwise had nobody really for), do you think Traore would have been the player we’d signed to play wide on the right this summer gone?

We were upgrading from a much weaker base. In goals we were improving on nobody. Up front we were improving on nobody. At RB you were improving on Guilbert. Not completely convinced Traore and Barkley are upgrades yet on what was there before.

The more ‘upgrading’ you do, the harder it actually becomes to make improvements. Unless you can spend like City did of course. On our limited budget we’re better going for 2 statement signings that we know are better than what was there.

Look at it this way, if we’d not had to spend more than 40 million on Watkins and Martinez (positions we’d have otherwise had nobody really for), do you think Traore would have been the player we’d signed to play wide on the right this summer gone?

I don't expect all 5 positions to be upgraded this summer, but there is room for improvement on each position. I'd obviously love 5 but more realistic is 2-3 of the first 11 and then some upgrades on the squad players.

I don't expect all 5 positions to be upgraded this summer, but there is room for improvement on each position. I'd obviously love 5 but more realistic is 2-3 of the first 11 and then some upgrades on the squad players.

My point was just that some positions in the team are glaring holes, whereas others like McGinn are areas where we could improve but it’s not a dire need.

Depending on whether we decide Jack’s longterm future is on the left or central, we need a top notch alternative that plays the other position. I’d be looking to upgrade Traore to backup and probably let Trez go as a result unless he steps up big time in the runin.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Jack thinks he will be ready to start vs Newcastle.

After last season mid table, especially upper mid table isn’t too shabby especially with room for improvement,

In the second half of 2020 Luis was great but it in 2021 he has struggled, City won’t come calling in the Summer but he can kick on again.

The back four are solid and don’t need replacing and in theory Guilbert could return to replace Elmo so only a backup LB would be needed to replace Taylor. That said given Engels lack of game time I wouldn’t be surprised to see him leave and the club try for another Kona’s type signing (young, not expected to start immediately but huge potential).

In midfield we will need at least one new winger and if Grealish was to be used centrally instead of a departing Barkley that number would be two. El Ghazi & Trez have made great contributions but should not be starting games and at least one should probably be moved on after in coming players.

I’d like another CF too but do agree with the fears that Wesleys return might put a stop to that but perhaps if we do only sign one winger we might get a CF (for instance Edouard who we were heavily linked to last summer from Celtic) and see Watkins pushed out wide in more games like in yesterday’s game but not for Davis who shouldn’t be anywhere near playing for a team with ambitions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Only Ederson has more clean sheets than Martinez!

Enjoy this while it lasts!

Would Watkins on the left be better than Trez, El Ghazi or Traore? He has been criticized (rightly) on here for a poor touch at times. He was bought as a forward and has played well there for the team. He might make mistakes but I’m not sure we would be better off with Abraham.

I think Traore is decent but inconsistent. He will have good and poor games but offers a creative alternative.

Trez and El Ghazi get in good positions and may score goals but don’t necessairly offer the creativity we need on their own.

If we keep Grealish next season, my preference would be to move him to the center and try upgrade left winger to someone who is a good first team choice.

We also need to improve backups for RB, CB, ST (and maybe LB)

• Advertisement

Would Watkins on the left be better than Trez, El Ghazi or Traore? He has been criticized (rightly) on here for a poor touch at times. He was bought as a forward and has played well there for the team. He might make mistakes but I’m not sure we would be better off with Abraham.

I think Traore is decent but inconsistent. He will have good and poor games but offers a creative alternative.

Trez and El Ghazi get in good positions and may score goals but don’t necessairly offer the creativity we need on their own.

If we keep Grealish next season, my preference would be to move him to the center and try upgrade left winger to someone who is a good first team choice.

We also need to improve backups for RB, CB, ST (and maybe LB)

Watkins would be better than all three of them on the left yes. He's played most of his career there.
    I think Tammy would be a better goalscorer.

Watkins fits into the current system better due to his work rate.

We will be stuck with Wesley now so can't see the Abraham move.

First time I’ve looked at our remaining fixtures in a while. I forgot how tough a list it is. In 11 games, 7 of them are against teams ahead of us (with spurs twice)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

We are actually better against the good teams , its the teams at the bottom we have trouble with.

If you remove first 4 games , we have won 8 games from 22 matches.
    Now 10 points from 4th , only just ahead of arsenal who are 10th.
    All the teams above us are in good form.
    The hope of a top 6 finish before the sheff utd game wasnt long to go down the drain.
    10th place finish would be dissapointing , but still a long way to go

Looks like Cash will be back tonight but Jack still out.

Newcastle have their front 3 missing.

Hardly gonna be a cracker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Looks like Cash will be back tonight but Jack still out.

Newcastle have their front 3 missing.

Hardly gonna be a cracker.

As long as we get 3 points I couldn't care less, it's been a long season and there'll always be the grind around this time of year. Newcastle certainly not out clear yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Ramsey for Sanson and Cash on the bench seems to be the word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Disappointed Sanson is dropped.

Would of rather see McGinn on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Cash only on the bench. Not fit enough to risk I'm guessing.

• Advertisement

Mings needs to stop playing the hard man and just defend. 3 times Joelinton has beaten him to a ball now as Mings is obsessed with trying to out muscle him.

rebelomar wrote: »
    Mings needs to stop playing the hard man and just defend. 3 times Joelinton has beaten him to a ball now as Mings is obsessed with trying to out muscle him.

Konsa always tidying up for him. Hoprfully that last one is Mings wake up call.

McGinn has been good, popping up everywhere

That looked painful for Traore

Yep, he's fooked, El Ghazi on

Konsa is so good

Mcginn needs stint on the bench

We're doing nothing with any conviction on the ball.

It's slow, too many touches and no quality.

Newcastle are reminding me so much of the bad old days og Bruceball - as soon as Villa get the ball in midfield it's retreat, retreat - mass up around the box to stifle their attack then kick ball forward to isolated attacker hoping he'll do something miracalous

• Advertisement

Terrible match so far

rebelomar wrote: »
    We're doing nothing with any conviction on the ball.

It's slow, too many touches and no quality.

This is the case most of 2021.

McGinn is always the guilty party.

We're playing with no skill or composure. Newcastle have seen there's nothing to worry about here and are growing in confidence.

I know there's serious love on here for Watkins, but he's so poor at holding up the ball, it bounces off him way too much.

He's very average on the ball, not good technically at all.

Yeah this is bad

• Advertisement

The ball is just not sticking to Watkins, he's letting it loose to far backwards so a Newcastle player can get it. He's not offering his usual relief

I know there's serious love on here for Watkins, but he's so poor at holding up the ball, it bounces off him way too much.

He's very average on the ball, not good technically at all.

Very poor so far tonight but I don’t think representative of his season.

Mings getting the runaround from Joelinton. Embarrassing

Joelinton giving Mings the runaround.

Losing Traore has really thrown us, he was most composed and creative force in first part of this match - instead El Gazi has been anonymous and Trez, is well Trez, so much effort but nothing ever seems to work out.

Ramsey quiet too, I suppose to be expected a bit but explains our lack of attack on left when paired with El Ghazi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Barkley on at halftime, at least he has some creativity buried in him somewhere This is awful stuff to watch

We've turned into a hoofball team in the past few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

When El Gahzi cut in, you just know there is no way he is passing! Shot every time.

Like a training game by both teams.
    If theres a crowd at this there would be boos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Painful stuff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement