Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Shameful performance. Would never have deserved the win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Wow, that old familiar feeling of getting robbed in the last seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Hopefully last time we see barkley , send him back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

I didn't think McGinn did enough to get out and stop the cross.
    We didn't deserve that win.

Pathetic from Watkins and Barkley.

Feel sorry for Konsa and Targett who have been brilliant all season.

While this season overall has been good, I'm looking forward to it being over. Its fizzling out fast now.

circadian wrote: »
    Wow, that old familiar feeling of getting robbed in the last seconds.

That's not true this season.

rebelomar wrote: »
    Watkins and Barkely should be shot! Watkins in particular cost us tonight. What was he doing when Carroll tackled him. No awareness.

Game management was non existent.

McGinn's "attempt" to stop the cross was a disgrace.

Mings was a shambles all through the game.

So many lads need to look in the mirror after that performance. Honestly...its not good enough.

Smith needs to buck up his ideas too.

This 100%

Very much concur with the never wanting to see Barkley again sentiment. He is a disgrace of a professional footballer.

Since the covid outbreak we have been sh1te
    Couple of jammy wins
    10th position looms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Esse85 wrote: »
    That's not true this season.

That's my point, it's an old, but familiar feeling. It's been a while.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

People will point to Grealish being out but it was bad before that. We've been getting away with it but there is serious work to be done over the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

I’d love if Villa made a statement right now and announced a deal to sign someone like Michael Olise (for example) at the end of the season. Would show the ambition is still there, give the supporters a bit of an injection and a kick up the hole for some of the many many under performers recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Hourihane scoring again for Swansea, 5 goals in 12 now

The mad thing is, Hourihane would be starting for the team right now if fit. We all know his weaknesses but with no Jack there is basically in any of the midfield/wide positions with any end product to speak of. Conor has that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It would be swapping playing poorly for playing poorly. His end product from free kicks possibly, but even that is often very overstated, but his output from open play was often very minimal. Hourihane got better the more he didn't play. I think end of season we'll need to look past both. Fair play to Conor for doing it in the Championship though.

Corholio wrote: »
    It would be swapping playing poorly for playing poorly. His end product from free kicks possibly, but even that is often very overstated, but his output from open play was often very minimal. Hourihane got better the more he didn't play. I think end of season we'll need to look past both. Fair play to Conor for doing it in the Championship though.

I don’t think Conor is any better now than I thought he was in January. Him being in the team makes the team overall less effective than it is without him, but I think he is more likely to make something happen in terms of goals than any of our midfielders with the exception of Jack.

In Jack’s absence, I’d probably be willing to sacrifice what Ramsey and definitely Barkley bring to the team, in the hope that Hourihane could find a way to help us score more than 1 goal a game, something we’ve only done twice in 2021 (both before Jack got injured).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Curiosity finally got the better of me and I watched the highlights back. That breakaway in the last few mins was criminal. We’ve literally got a 4 v 1 break and McGinn tries to force a through ball from inside his own half? All he had to do was work the ball up the pitch! Kind of sums McGinn up, all hustle and bustle but lacking in that bit of nous you need at times. Big hammer, small nail.

Hourihane has same amount of assists as Barkley for Villa this season, and almost same number of goals. Whatever about Hourihane's limitations he was an honest player on the pitch, and would make a far better impact sub than Barkley has been. He's also shown for Swansea that given a more forward role he can score.

Yes, the Championship is more his level but I'd still rather have him on the bench than Barkley at the moment, or Sanson (who's also shown little other than ability to pick up needless yellow cards)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Patser wrote: »
    Whatever about Hourihane's limitations he was an honest player on the pitch, and would make a far better impact sub than Barkley has been. He's also shown for Swansea that given a more forward role he can score.

Thats in the Championship though. He has come on plenty of times for Villa and done zilch, that's just the harsh truth. I've no love for Barkley either, I thought he may have picked up a bit by now but hasn't worked and would not be signing him of course, but the 'Hourihane would be better' thing doesn't hold ground for me, they are both players who wouldn't improve the team.

Wouldn't be judging Sanson yet either imo.

• Advertisement

I'm not going to be hard on Sandon, he's new, looks fast and as he gets used to Premier League could be v good.

Great to see Ramsey getting his chance to develop too.

But I stand by my idea Hourihane would be better in the squad than Barkley. OK, a lot of that is based on hindsight, but Conor has been the consummate professional and has on occasions come through for us, he was great in 1st game of season. Barkley had become a pouting, sulking presence around the squad offering incredibly little on the pitch, without his buddy Grealish to play off of

Thats in the Championship though. He has come on plenty of times for Villa and done zilch, that's just the harsh truth. I've no love for Barkley either, I thought he may have picked up a bit by now but hasn't worked and would not be signing him of course, but the 'Hourihane would be better' thing doesn't hold ground for me, they are both players who wouldn't improve the team.

Wouldn't be judging Sanson yet either imo.

Hourihane has 4 goals and 6 assists in 31 Premier League appearances for Villa (a lot of his appearances are sub appearances also)

Neither of them are what we need for the team or even close to it, but if Barkley had Hourihane’s goal involvement, he probably wouldn’t have become Public Enemy Number 1 at the club in spite of his otherwise poor performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

So it turns out we have paid Chelsea 11 million to take Barkley on loan :

https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-purslow-spearheading-permanent-barkley-move-to-aston-villa/

If thats true it must be one of the worst pieces of business this club has ever done (which is saying something).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

CucaFace wrote: »

https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-purslow-spearheading-permanent-barkley-move-to-aston-villa/

If thats true it must be one of the worst pieces of business this club has ever done (which is saying something).

Depends on if that includes wages or if it's just a loan fee. If it's just a loan fee it was a very risky bit of business which in hindsight has turned out poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

In either case, it is not good to have the CEO making footballing decisions. That will never end well.

We’ve had a great transfer window. 100% success rate would have been great, but alas, not to be. At least the one that failed isn’t under contract next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Can't believe he still wants to sign him permanently madness

kilburn wrote: »
    Can't believe he still wants to sign him permanently madness

I don’t believe that to be true. Barring a huge turnaround he won’t be a Villa player next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

CSF wrote:
    I don’t believe that to be true. Barring a huge turnaround he won’t be a Villa player next year.

Hopefully so, think he has to be up there with our list of worst ever signings whether permanently or on loan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

CucaFace wrote: »

That fee does not surprise me one bit. Chelsea make a fortune off loan deals

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

JPA wrote: »
    That fee does not surprise me one bit. Chelsea make a fortune off loan deals

They certainly saw Purslow coming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

Thought he started at the club quite well. Injected a lot of impotus the midfield. Most people thought he was a big improvement on Hourihane. He was key against Liverpool and got that late winner against Leicester. Perhaps, if we're speculating, maybe hasn't been 100% since he (possibly/likely) had covid. His reaction to his own poor form is disappointing, but I don't know what's going on behind the scenes.

Considering how quickly fan-opinion flipped on him, I wouldn't be surprised if it flipped back the other way again before the deal is over.

gaffmaster wrote: »
    Thought he started at the club quite well. Injected a lot of impotus the midfield. Most people thought he was a big improvement on Hourihane. He was key against Liverpool and got that late winner against Leicester. Perhaps, if we're speculating, maybe hasn't been 100% since he (possibly/likely) had covid. His reaction to his own poor form is disappointing, but I don't know what's going on behind the scenes.

Considering how quickly fan-opinion flipped on him, I wouldn't be surprised if it flipped back the other way again before the deal is over.

Can you think of any games other than Leicester (not sure we’d even include this one if he hadn’t scored), Arsenal and Liverpool where he played well?

He’s played 16 games for Villa.

I don't believe that article to be true.

The last 2 Ross's we've signed have been terrible, let's not sign another Ross again.

Esse85 wrote: »
    I don't believe that article to be true.

The last 2 Ross's we've signed have been terrible, let's not sign another Ross again.

McCormack and?

CSF wrote: »
    McCormack and?

Barkley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Watkins gets an England callup, no place for Jack so presumably still not ready to come back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

No Barkley?! Strange!

This spurs result and the extra time is the best outcome for us playing them Sunday.

Hard to believe konsa is not in squad , mings isnt even villas best cb.

Surprised at watkins , wasnt expecting that

sc86 wrote: »
    Hard to believe konsa is not in squad , mings isnt even villas best cb.

Surprised at watkins , wasnt expecting that
    Think Mings' big advantage is that he is a naturally left sided centre back. Those are not as easy to come by. To me there is no question that Konsa is the better player and should have been in there ahead of Dier, who Mings is better than also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Is his name Erzik O'nza and they just messed it up on the jersey by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Whut?

JPA wrote: »
    Whut?

I'd say he's stretching in hope of Irish heritage, just like O'Bama

Would be a nice change to nick and England U21 rather than the other way around

Guessing I wasn’t the only one who watched that Brighton v Newcastle game and felt even worse about our current predicament?

I hope Smith is watching the West Ham game.

There's a lesson here in terms of tactics and attitude against a team who played Europa Cup Thursday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,971 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

There might be a bit of unhappiness in the Spurs camp as well after the loss. Lots of papers reporting Harry Kane wants to leave.

Id take a draw v suprs the way we are playing

sc86 wrote: »
    Id take a draw v suprs the way we are playing

They are probably saying the same after Thursday

Patser wrote: »
    They are probably saying the same after Thursday

Would expect lots of changes to their side.

What sort of midfield are we expecting will start

I'd like to see Nakamba brought in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

The only way we will beat them tonight is if we go at them from the start and stop them from playing out from the back.

If we sit back and try to hit them on the break kane and vinicius will murder us

Advertisement