Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Esse85 wrote: »
    I think Jack will be on the bench tomorrow evening.

He is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

JPA wrote: »
    He is!

That's great news.

Can't wait to see him back, 20 minutes will do, regardless of what the score is, he needs a run around.
    Same can be said for Wesley, get minutes into him for next season.

I think their midfield will kill us tonight with no Ollie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,136 ✭✭✭Patser

Some collision for Cash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Mings should have scored there

Very open game, 2 teams with little to play for having fun attacking

How many times has Traore given the ball away cheaply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

How many times has Traore given the ball away cheaply.

Yeah he’s having one of those games where everything goes wrong for him. Happens all too regularly but he’s still capable of magic.

That sums up Barkley. Good play to get into positions and then mis-controls it at the important time twice in 1 minute

matrim wrote: »
    That sums up Barkley. Good play to get into positions and then mis-controls it at the important time twice in 1 minute

And as for the pass when Davis was running in behind defence, and Barkley mi****s the pass weakly to defender 3 yards in front of him.....

Easy Rod wrote: »
    Yeah he’s having one of those games where everything goes wrong for him. Happens all too regularly but he’s still capable of magic.

You said it, that dive was embarrassing from him.

• Advertisement

Should be a game that suits him, getting loads of space... instead gets deserved yellow for terrible dive

If Traore was to come off would you go:

Grealish - return of the King
    Wesley - needs game time
    Chukwuemaka - let's see the future

Cash off for elmo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Barkley and Traore really are rubbish footballers

Patser wrote: »
    If Traore was to come off would you go:

Grealish - return of the King
    Wesley - needs game time
    Chukwuemaka - let's see the future

Take Barkley off first

I feel really sorry for Davies.

This is his chance to start a game at last and he is left replying on the likes of Barkely, Traore and AEG to supply him.

Woeful supply to him in the first half.

CucaFace wrote: »
    I feel really sorry for Davies.

This is his chance to start a game at last and he is left replying on the likes of Barkely, Traore and AEG to supply him.

Woeful supply to him in the first half.

To be fair, if he had Messi and Ronaldo in their prime supplying him I don't think it would make much difference. He's not a premier league player and this fixation and hope people have for him is gone stale at this stage.

They are not always rubbish but they are more rubbish than good and that's the problem. 1 in 6 games they will deliver a performance, not up to standard for a team looking to break into Europe next season. When they don't produce magic they do nothing, they don't even show effort.

On the evidence of this season, one of them is rubbish 90% of the time, the other 50%.

• Advertisement

The funny thing is that from a pure stats point of view traore has 6 goals and 5 assists which isn't a bad haul. It's just unfortunate that when he doesn't turn up he is very poor

Jack looks p1ssed off, can't believe he's not out warming up.

To be fair, if he had Messi and Ronaldo in their prime supplying him I don't think it would make much difference. He's not a premier league player and this fixation and hope people have for him is gone stale at this stage.

I think there is a player in there.

I just dont think he is suited to playing in a 451 formation which is basically the only formation we have started a game with in about 3 years now.

Id like to see him start a game with a another striker up top with him also before i would write him off as not being up to this level.

Barkely must have given the ball away now maybe 15 times in this game.

But of course im sure he wont be taken off until its too late.

Has to be Jack and Wes on next for AEG and Davis.

Jack getting ready

• Advertisement

Mings lucky to not get a red there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Panrich

Dirty enough tackle there by Mings. He seems to have that in him from time to time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭LeBash

Watching Davis up front and the woeful service, it shows how good Watkins is to look good up there alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,137 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Well that's not ideal .

Panrich wrote: »
    Dirty enough tackle there by Mings. He seems to have that in him from time to time.

Followed by a game saving clearance. Such a hit and miss player.

• Advertisement

Why was mings allowed to stay on there and not have to go off after treatment

Such a bitty 2nd half. No flow at all going forward and midfield non existant in defence. We rely a lot on the speed of Mings and Konsa to cover the gaps left around our box

Grealish looked silky when he came on. Hopefully no ill affects from those 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭pavb2

I thought Douglas Luiz had a good second half I’m happy with the point as they looked more likely to score than we did.

Martinez our player of the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,655 ✭✭✭✭CSF

matrim wrote: »
    Why was mings allowed to stay on there and not have to go off after treatment

Doesn’t apply when the keeper and defenders collide.

Cons: One of the worst games I’ve ever seen

Pros: Jack back and that was Barkley’s final game at Villa Park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Delighted for Martinez equalising the clean sheet record. Himself and Grealish for player of the year. Konsa, Targett and Watkins just behind. Everyone else too inconsistent or error prone to get near them.

Delighted for Martinez equalising the clean sheet record. Himself and Grealish for player of the year. Konsa, Targett and Watkins just behind. Everyone else too inconsistent or error prone to get near them.

Grealish has been our best player but having missed a third of the season, you'd have to give it to Martinez. He's been a game changer in a vital position.

Panrich wrote: »
    Grealish has been our best player but having missed a third of the season, you'd have to give it to Martinez. He's been a game changer in a vital position.

Yeah I’d give it to him just about

CSF wrote: »
    Doesn’t apply when the keeper and defenders collide.

Cons: One of the worst games I’ve ever seen

Pros: Jack back and that was Barkley’s final game at Villa Park in a Villa shirt

I added to your comment.

I think another pro was keeping a clean sheet as we'd gone at least 7 games without one.

Id go Konsa myself. I think he's been absolutely brilliant, can't remember a mistake that sticks out, never has a stinker despite cleaning up after Luiz and Mings.

• Advertisement

We might do a poll at the end of the season for the following categories, I think there'll be a fair bit of consensus for a few of them!

Player of the Season:
    Young Player of the Season:
    Signing of the Season:
    Most Improved Player:
    Goal of the Season:
    Game of the Season:

We might do a poll at the end of the season for the following categories, I think there'll be a fair bit of consensus for a few of them!

Player of the Season:
    Signing of the Season:
    Most Improved Player:
    Goal of the Season:
    Game of the Season:

I feel like Most Improved Player will be the one absolutely unanimous one.

Well maybe Young Player too if Ramsey is the only one that is eligible!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Player of the Season:
    Signing of the Season:
    Most Improved Player:
    Goal of the Season:
    Game of the Season:

Ramsey does not have a lot of competition as the young player breaking into the squad and getting a lot of game time but I'd have to think that Martinez for POTY aided by Jack not playing so much as otherwise that'd probably be a much harder choice.

For most improved though I'd be looking at Targett. Was not convinced by him at all last season but this season his consistency of performances has really impressed me.

Hopefully 1 or 2 others can make that step up next year as well as new signings which from listening to Smith recently you would have to be optimistic about.
    "We've been planning for a long time, the people in the recruitment department and the sporting director have certainly had their finger on the pulse.," he said.

"The targets will make me excited, so it should make the supporters excited as well."

If you go by the official young player definition it might include Cash and Konsa

El Ghazi called up to the Netherlands Euros squad. Unexpected I would say, but fair play to him

CSF wrote: »
    El Ghazi called up to the Netherlands Euros squad. Unexpected I would say, but fair play to him

It is the provisional squad with 34 players but still good going.

O'Hare won players player of the year at Coventry. I still think we lost a good one in him.

LeBash wrote: »
    O'Hare won players player of the year at Coventry. I still think we lost a good one in him.

He is 23 and at Coventry though. 3 years older than Jacob Ramsey. Same age as Cash and Konsa

He’ll need to be trending upwards big time in the few years til his peak to really make us feel like we missed out.

The FA youth semi final is live now on BT sports for anyone interested in it.

• Advertisement

Chukewemeka is a serious footballer.

His skill set would work so well with Grealish that we could have a seriously dangerous attacking force next season if he fast tracked into the side in a number 10 role behind Watkins.

Just watching him tonight the ball sticks to his feet very similar to Grealish and he also glides past players at his ease as well as spotting the pass at the right time and giving perfectly weighted passes to players on the move. Not to mention his shooting ability.

Advertisement