Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

JPA wrote: »
    Great result and performance. Was like early season Villa. There was energy that has been missing lately. Could have scored 5 at least.

20 shots, only 4 on target though.

Was it the Grealish effect?
    Or maybe the Nakamba affect?

Both brought something different to what McGinn/Luiz/Barkley offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Panrich wrote: »
    Chukwuemeka could save us a lot of money. He looks like he is a special talent.

Having watched all the youth cup games I'd have to stick my neck out and say, himself, Kesler, Aaron Ramsey and Barry all have a very real chance of being good enough.

They are really really talented. They just need a break or chance to prove it next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

rebelomar wrote: »
    Having watched all the youth cup games I'd have to stick my neck out and say, himself, Kesler, Aaron Ramsey and Barry all have a very real chance of being good enough.

They are really really talented. They just need a break or chance to prove it next season.

Barry needs a growth spurth over the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Just shows the madness off playing barkley in recent games when the young lads look so good , that few mins tonight will do them the world of good, and they contributed and looked the part.

Wasnt expecting a win at all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

CucaFace wrote: »
    Played very well. McGinn was great tonight and the defense looked very solid.

Both youngsters did really well when they came on with very little time.

If we can make sure we have proper upgrades on both Traore and AEG for next season the improvement in our side will be huge just from that alone as both are miles away from being good enough to push us on from here.

Agreed not sure that AEG can improve his consistency but I’d hope Traore can push on after his first season with us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Obviously Carney won’t play on Sunday but hopefully Bidace might get a start.

Tonight was the last time we’ll see Barkley moping on the bench too which is nice.

Jasus ye thats him done for us , even more surprised smith didnt play him so

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Two stats from tonight,

Watkins is the highest English scorer in the PL for Villa with 14 since Julian Joachim

That's the first time Villa has come back from behind to win away from home in the PL since 1-3 V Arsenal v 2013.

Both interesting and meaningless.

No idea how Watkins didn’t get a peno by the way. Thankfully it didn’t matter but up there with the worst of the (many) terrible referee/VAR decisions that have gone against us over the past two seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Two stats from tonight,

Watkins is the highest English scorer in the PL for Villa with 14 since Julian Joachim

That's the first time Villa has come back from behind to win away from home in the PL since 1-3 V Arsenal v 2013.

That is interesting, thought it may have been Gabby.
    Think I remember that game, we had a Spanish left back who got the third, his name escapes me.

• Advertisement

Two stats from tonight,

And he could have had another half dozen though you would expect he will make the Euros and Jack should be going into the Euros quite fresh after his layoff. Along with Mings & McGinn the Euros should hold some interest from us Villans though it’s a shame Konsa probably won’t make it.

Esse85 wrote: »
    That is interesting, thought it may have been Gabby.
    Think I remember that game, we had a Spanish left back who got the third, his name escapes me.

Wasn’t that Antonio Luna or Tony Moon scored a great goal but never pushed on after that

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

That sounds familiar, didn't he run from the halfway line and a lovely drilled finish at the near post?

Think it was first game of the season as well.

Two stats from tonight,

Highest points in PL for 11 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

11th place finish regardless of Chelsea. Would love to see us beat them and Leicester get top 4. Would prefer if Liverpool miss out though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

pavb2 wrote: »
    Agreed not sure that AEG can improve his consistency but I’d hope Traore can push on after his first season with us

The problem with Traore is that his brain and his feet aren't connected. He wont be any different for us next season.

He is so frustrating because he has clear talent. But he will do something great and then won't do the next and obvious part after that like give an easy pass to someone or shoot at the right time. Tonight was the perfect example of that, he must have blown 6/7 great positions to score or set someone up.

He lacks a footballing brain to go with his skills. He just never seems to be fully in control of what he will do next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Panrich wrote: »
    Chukwuemeka could save us a lot of money. He looks like he is a special talent.

Grealish and Chukwuemeka combining could be a seriously dangerous combination.

Dier is such a bad defender, so weak for the Watkins goal.

On another note I wonder if John Terry will make the step up in the near future I think a lot depends on a clubs finances but Derby would be a good shout

I don't like John Terry as a person and would be glad to see him gone from the club.

• Advertisement

Big interview with JT in the UK Times this morning. Is behind a paywall but should be in the Irish print edition of the paper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Poll closed but our picks for goals of the season

https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2021/may/Vote-for-your-2020-21-Goal-of-the-Season-/

the fact that Traore is in there so many times shows how fustrating he is as a player. He can sometimes do something amazing but is so inconsistent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

I'll say he meant that...

Traore off the crossbar and in from a very easy corner set piece (possibly kicked it into ground and watched it bobble up perfectly!)

Patser wrote: »
    I'll say he meant that...

Traore off the crossbar and in from a very easy corner set piece (possibly kicked it into ground and watched it bobble up perfectly!)

Straight off the training ground? Either way we’ll take it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

How has Jack Grealish played so far?

Battered for the entire half , yet 1-0 up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Nice little move before the pen, Traore influential again.

Very good penalty from El Ghazi.

We are so much better when teams have to break us down and get them on counter attack.

10k fans make some noise at villa park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Traroe prominent again today. Has his detractors here but has had a good season overall and hopefully will kick on next season

• Advertisement

Konsa and Traore asleep there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Nice sign off to the season this. Shame we couldn't break the top 10 though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Nakamba deserved that MOM. He's been brilliant.

Surprised Elmo didn't get onto the pitch for a farewell, he's been around the club for a long time now and a lot of positive words come out about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

LeBash wrote: »
    Nakamba deserved that MOM. He's been brilliant.

Surprised Elmo didn't get onto the pitch for a farewell, he's been around the club for a long time now and a lot of positive words come out about him.

Surprised about Elmo too. Nakamba had a great game alright. Mings and Targett too. Loved watching that doggedness in the display, it shows a really good group to build on for next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Corholio wrote: »
    Surprised about Elmo too. Nakamba had a great game alright. Mings and Targett too. Loved watching that doggedness in the display, it shows a really good group to build on for next season.

I love beating Chelsea. Just disappointed we didn’t deny then a CL place 😂

Thought Nakamba and Targett had great games today. Theres a good player in Traore somewhere. He just needs to make better decisions. Ollie has been a great signing but Martinez has been the standout for me. Absolute bargain.

JPA wrote: »
    We might do a poll at the end of the season for the following categories, I think there'll be a fair bit of consensus for a few of them!

Player of the Season:
    Young Player of the Season:
    Signing of the Season:
    Most Improved Player:
    Goal of the Season:
    Game of the Season:

Player of the Season: Martinez
    Young Player of the Season: Matty Cash eligible? Otherwise Jacob Ramsey.
    Signing of the Season: Martinez
    Most Improved Player: Matt Targett
    Goal of the Season: Traore V Manchester United. Lovely little turn.
    Game of the Season: 7-2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Player of the Season: Konsa
    Young Player of the Season: Matty Cash
    Signing of the Season: Martinez
    Most Improved Player: Matt Targett
    Goal of the Season: Trezeguet vs Arsenal - for how Grealish, Barkley and Targett showboated and toyed with Arsenal defence
    Game of the Season: 7-2.

If we use the PFA criteria YPOTY is 23 or under at the start of the season.

Player of the Season: Grealish
    Young Player of the Season: Konsa
    Signing of the Season: Martinez, Watkins very close behind
    Most Improved Player: Targett
    Goal of the Season: Watkins first Vs Arsenal in the 3 nil win.
    Game of the Season: 7-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Congrats to Neil Dundon who won the Villa Boards Fantasy Premier League. I'm not 100% on which poster that is as you didn't include your username in the ref when you sent me the money, so if you can PM me with the email address you sent the money from on Paypal we will sort out your prize

In terms of points, Villa made the 2nd highest improvement on points tally on last season, behind West Ham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Youth cup final against Liverpool is on BT at 7.45

• Advertisement

1 - 0 Villa, brilliant goal

Peno
    2 - 0 Villa

Carney is an absolute rolls Royce. Pure quality

CSF wrote: »

Hes on a diff planet to rest of the players

sc86 wrote: »
    Hes on a diff planet to rest of the players

Future is bright with that lad

Honestly it’s like when someone’s older brother is allowed play at training and the teams just become ridiculously uneven.

He reminds me of the Yaya Toure we saw at City.

Esse85 wrote: »
    He reminds me of the Yaya Toure we saw at City.

I was thinking Pogba because of how comfortable he is on the ball.

Jesus....I'm all for playing out from the back but this is getting ridiculous at times

I was thinking Pogba because of how comfortable he is on the ball.

They both have that arrogance and swagger that's usually found in top players.

Failure to take our chances could cost us yet, we don't seem tight at the back. Liverpool have had plenty of chances.

• Advertisement
Advertisement