Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

2-1 now.

Ramsey misses a sitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Throwing this away. Midfield gone missing. Think Carney is very tired after yesterday.

Tactics are bizarre

Outstanding for the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Yeah has to bode well, hung on a bit near the end but by far the better team overall so nice to see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Well won in fairness, much the better team on the night - really high level of quality across the team, with a few proper future stars in the making.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Revan my man of the match, didn’t put a foot wrong at left back. I wonder does he have a clearer path than most into the first team with Taylor set to leave.

Fantastic achievement from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,655 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Great win, Liverpool were the better team in the second half and more as the game went on, but the first half performance was enough.

Hope we can get a few first teamers out of this bunch but hope the increased pressure to blood them now doesn’t end up detrimental either.

For some of these lads, this will be just the beginnings, but for others this will be the greatest night they ever have in football. What an achievement.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Hopefully some of them kick on. Just looking at the last lot that won in 2002 ( V Rooney's Everton)

Ridgewell, Stephen Davis, Peter Whittingham (RIP), the highly rated Moore brothers.

Davis probably ended up best of the bunch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Hopefully some of them kick on. Just looking at the last lot that won in 2002 ( V Rooney's Everton)

Ridgewell, Stephen Davis, Peter Whittingham (RIP), the highly rated Moore brothers.

Davis probably ended up best of the bunch.

There tends to be a severe drop off from the youths, if there's 3 of the lineup at the club in 5 years we'll be doing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

We really could have some great players to come through.

Chuke is like the next Pogba going on tonight. The link up between himself and Jack could be something to behold.

Brad Young looks like a really intelligent striker.

JPA wrote: »
    There tends to be a severe drop off from the youths, if there's 3 of the lineup at the club in 5 years we'll be doing well.

Yes thats true. Maybe we have got our own Fergie's babes generation about to happen? You have to dream i guess.

But really all these players look like they would have a chance from the last few games - Chukewamaka, Barry, Young, Kesler and Ramsey would be 5 i think look like they could make it to the senior squad/team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭LeBash

I doubt we will see many, we are apparently going to spend big this summer.

I'd like to see a policy of at least 3 on the bench at all times.

LeBash wrote: »
    I doubt we will see many, we are apparently going to spend big this summer.

I'd like to see a policy of at least 3 on the bench at all times.

Carney will be a legit first teamer next year. Whether he goes as far as to be a regular starter is upto him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Mings, Grealish and Watkins in England's provo squad. I'd imagine Watkins would be favourite to be cut from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Hard to believe some of the defenders in squad ahead of target and konsa

Milot Rashica certainly justified his choice in rejecting Villa due to not wanting to be in a relegation battle.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Milot Rashica certainly justified his choice in rejecting Villa due to not wanting to be in a relegation battle.

Ironically he was linked again yesterday in a cut price 13.5m move by the Birmingham mail I believe (but I think that has mostly a re-hash plus would now be cheaper but nothing actually new to suggest Dean would be looking at him again).

Other players linked since the end of the league season

Celtic: Turnbull, Edouard
    Hibs : Josh Doig
    Norwich: Emi Bundia
    Chelsea: Tammy Abraham
    Metz: Pape Matar Sarr
    Werder Bremen: Milot Rashica

Buendia appears to have truth to it, doubt we'll entice him over other options but he would be brilliant to get

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Aston Villa foundation are doing a live auction on the website for signed match day worn gear if anyone is interested.

Davis match worn only £100.....

Few days left depending on the player gear you want both home and away gear available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,136 ✭✭✭Patser

kilburn wrote: »
    Davis match worn only £100.....

Whoo ho............ ah feck they are all the Poppy version. I know it's still a bit childish, but just couldn't imagine showing up for a 5 side in Dublin with a big poppy on my chest

Patser wrote:
    Whoo ho............ ah feck they are all the Poppy version. I know it's still a bit childish, but just couldn't imagine showing up for a 5 side in Dublin with a big poppy on my chest

Very true but they are signed, so frame it, wait for David to start banging in 20 goals a season and sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭pavb2

https://shop.avfc.co.uk/en/

Some good reductions in the shop if you can get the right size

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

pavb2 wrote: »
    https://shop.avfc.co.uk/en/

Some good reductions in the shop if you can get the right size

I saw those, but the size is the thing for me. I'm normally L, sometimes XL. But not sure what to look for with the Kappa shirts!

CSF wrote: »
    Congrats to Neil Dundon who won the Villa Boards Fantasy Premier League. I'm not 100% on which poster that is as you didn't include your username in the ref when you sent me the money, so if you can PM me with the email address you sent the money from on Paypal we will sort out your prize

Bump

Useless fact from fpl website, Taylor had 1 appearance all season 15 min cameo and ended the season on a minus 1 after conceding 2 goals against City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Useless fact from fpl website, Taylor had 1 appearance all season 15 min cameo and ended the season on a minus 1 after conceding 2 goals against City

I wonder how often he picked himself!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Daily Mail reporting that Man City's main target this summer is Jack Grealish with the paper saying it would take at least £100 million.

Interestingly, Douglas Luiz's buyback clause of £27.5 million ends on the 5th of June with City still not having made any contact with Villa about it. His poor form in the past few months should mean that he will remain a Villa player.

VillaMad wrote: »
    Daily Mail reporting that Man City's main target this summer is Jack Grealish with the paper saying it would take at least £100 million.

Thankfully the Daily Mail isn’t the most reliable source in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭LeBash

Having a flick through some of the links, whoever we sign, one of them has to be able to take a set piece. We've had a lot of poor deliveries.

LeBash wrote: »
    Having a flick through some of the links, whoever we sign, one of them has to be able to take a set piece. We've had a lot of poor deliveries.

Totally agree. With Grealish we get more frees then anyone else in really good area's. More often then not the delivery's and corners have been of poor quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Villa really like Burnley's Dwight McNeil and Norwich's Emi Buendia according to the Athletic.

Not very exciting for me, McNeil looks very similar to Stewart Downing in that he has good left foot and is a very hard-worker but has nothing outstanding. With 3 years on his deal at Burnley, it would probably take something like £25 million plus too I reckon, which is mad for an average enough player.

Whilst I like Buendia, the figures of around £40 million quoted are crazy high for a player that was below average in the Premier League the last time around with Norwich. Surely, they can find much better value on the continent.

Elsewhere, Ahmed Elmohamady, Neil Taylor and Tom Heaton have all been released. Guilbert could be brought back to challenge Cash next season or that could be a spot for a new signing. A left-back will be needed this summer with no obvious back-up now to Targett.

Villa really like Burnley's Dwight McNeil and Norwich's Emi Buendia according to the Athletic.

Not very exciting for me, McNeil looks very similar to Stewart Downing in that he has good left foot and is a very hard-worker but has nothing outstanding. With 3 years on his deal at Burnley, it would probably take something like £25 million plus too I reckon, which is mad for an average enough player.

Whilst I like Buendia, the figures of around £40 million quoted are crazy high for a player that was below average in the Premier League the last time around with Norwich. Surely, they can find much better value on the continent.

Elsewhere, Ahmed Elmohamady, Neil Taylor and Tom Heaton have all been released. Guilbert could be brought back to challenge Cash next season or that could be a spot for a new signing. A left-back will be needed this summer with no obvious back-up now to Targett.

Buendia created the 4th highest number of chances in the premier League for the season he was in it. And for 20/21 he created the most chances in Europe. ( I know it was in the championship)

But figures are out of control, buying from another PL team is very expensive business.

Kesler might be earmarked as backup right back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭basillarkin

going to have plenty of money with the sale of jack, just hope its going to be invested wisely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

going to have plenty of money with the sale of jack, just hope its going to be invested wisely

He aint going anywhere this season except back to villa park.

Elmo has been a brilliant signing, seemed like an absolute pro too. He was great for us in the championship. Really wish him well.

Taylor was great around the younger lads I've heard.

Tom Heaton ended up being a complete waste of money, through no fault of his own. Sounded like a really positive, likeable guy too.

Hourihane likely to go too, that's some big characters gone.

The grealish to city rumours are at fever pitch already and season is only over a few days.

I'd be very surprised if he goes anywhere. I don't think City will pay £100 mill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,136 ✭✭✭Patser

Ryan Bertrand has been released by Southampton - would he be a good cheap back up to Targett - played a season at Villa before

Patser wrote: »
    Ryan Bertrand has been released by Southampton - would he be a good cheap back up to Targett - played a season at Villa before

Leicester bound

Why would Man City sign Grealish? I thought he would have been an excellent ready made replacement for Silva but Foden has shut that door. Where does he fit into their team? They have Foden, De Bruyne, Mahrez, Bernardo Silva and Gundogan all attacking midfielders and all on the level of Grealish.

Why would Man City sign Grealish? I thought he would have been an excellent ready made replacement for Silva but Foden has shut that door. Where does he fit into their team? They have Foden, De Bruyne, Mahrez, Bernardo Silva and Gundogan all attacking midfielders and all on the level of Grealish.

We definitely have different ideas of Grealish’s ability. The only one I think is as good as Grealish (and tbh he is better) is De Bruyne IMO.

Bernardo Silva and Grealish on same level? Really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

sc86 wrote: »
    The grealish to city rumours are at fever pitch already and season is only over a few days.

He’d be mad to go to,city, unless he’s just about money. He’s not going to displace DeBruyne in that playmaker role and would also be in direct competition with Foden you’d have to think.

fullstop wrote: »
    He’d be mad to go to,city, unless he’s just about money. He’s not going to displace DeBruyne in that playmaker role and would also be in direct competition with Foden you’d have to think.

I just think with Foden there they’d be mad to go after Grealish. I think Grealish is a good bit better than Foden, but Foden literally just turned 21 so he is obviously going to improve even further and definitely doesn’t need his path blocked.

• Advertisement

fullstop wrote: »

If we take off our aston villa glasses then theres plenty of good reasons bar money.

1 team that can win league
    2 team that can win champ league
    3 work under best manager in the world
    4 play with some of the best players in the world

The fact that hes a villa lad is our only hope to keep him , or city wont pay enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

sc86 wrote:
    If we take off our aston villa glasses then theres plenty of good reasons bar money.
    1 team that can win league 2 team that can win champ league 3 work under best manager in the world 4 play with some of the best players in the world
    He can certainly back himself to be the man at City but there's huge competition for places. If he went to United he's pretty much guaranteed to start most games.
    sc86 wrote:
    The fact that hes a villa lad is our only hope to keep him , or city wont pay enough.
    You'd have to pay him the money to stay. He's given a lot to Villa in fairness to him.
    Imo he's that good that Villa should spend big, I think they could challenge for the top six, maybe even top four.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭pavb2

CSF wrote: »
    I just think with Foden there they’d be mad to go after Grealish. I think Grealish is a good bit better than Foden, but Foden literally just turned 21 so he is obviously going to improve even further and definitely doesn’t need his path blocked.

I wondered what all the fuss was about Foden when we played them in the final last year But this has been His breakout season, the most improved player of the season I think. Assuming they play Jack and Foden could be really exciting to watch at the Euros.

I imagine they would go all out to get Kane rather than Jack they have no 20 goals a season striker now

I imagine they would go all out to get Kane rather than Jack they have no 20 goals a season striker now

They dont need one. Last season proved that. Even with an under scoring Sterling.

• Advertisement
Advertisement