Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Esse85 wrote:
    They dont need one. Last season proved that. Even with an under scoring Sterling.

They have already contacted Kanes agent as have Chelsea and United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Yeah Gundogan with 13 was their only player to make the top 20 goalscorers in the league and they still scored more than everyone else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

Hourihane starts in the playoff final for Swansea.
    I'm hoping it's Brentford who go up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

City want England internationals, it doesn't really matter where they play, the bigger their star the more City want them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,655 ✭✭✭✭CSF

pavb2 wrote: »
    I wondered what all the fuss was about Foden when we played them in the final last year But this has been His breakout season, the most improved player of the season I think. Assuming they play Jack and Foden could be really exciting to watch at the Euros.

He is very talented but I think he played less than half their minutes this season. Still has to develop consistency.

Toney with a typical cool penalty, 1-0 the bees.

2-0
    Surely that will be enough.
    Brilliant counter attack goal.

Rumour that Sterling and Mahrez are up for sale.
    Not great to hear that from a Villa POV

There'll be lots of players up for sale this year, any of them being able to get a move at the prices required will be a lot harder to find

Hourihane really struggling to get into the game here.
    Still a wand of a left peg from set pieces but missing otherwise.

• Advertisement

Esse85 wrote: »
    Rumour that Sterling and Mahrez are up for sale.
    Not great to hear that from a Villa POV

Mahrez has been unreal this season. I don’t believe that to be true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭circadian

sc86 wrote: »
    If we take off our aston villa glasses then theres plenty of good reasons bar money.

1 team that can win league
    2 team that can win champ league
    3 work under best manager in the world
    4 play with some of the best players in the world

The fact that hes a villa lad is our only hope to keep him , or city wont pay enough.

He's captain at villa and guaranteed game time when fit, this gives him more opportunities at international level rather than being benched at City for half the season.

World Cup etc on the way as well. Another season as captain at a club that has potential to develop over the summer and have a better season makes him more noticeable.

circadian wrote: »
    He's captain at villa and guaranteed game time when fit, this gives him more opportunities at international level rather than being benched at City for half the season.

World Cup etc on the way as well. Another season as captain at a club that has potential to develop over the summer and have a better season makes him more noticeable.

I don't know how much more noticeable he needs to be, he's got probably the best team in the world wanting him and he's in the England squad. A season at Villa does nothing for his profile or career, I'm hoping he wants to stay and even more hopefull that noone will pay what we want but there's no tangible benefit to him in staying

CSF wrote: »
    Mahrez has been unreal this season. I don’t believe that to be true.

Nobody is doubting his ability.
    I was quiet surprised when I heard it too.
    It's widely reported.

circadian wrote: »

"Benched at City for half the season?"

He'll be a starter for City if he joins, he's good enough, and City won't spend £100+ million on a player only to bench him for half the season.

For footballing reasons, he'd be way better off joining City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Nobody is doubting his ability.
    I was quiet surprised when I heard it too.
    It's widely reported.

Indeed - thought it was just as insane when he decided to let Sane go back at the end of 18/19 (had to wait a year to sell after Sane got injured).

He just seems to have these sudden turns against players every so often, even if they're playing well.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Indeed - thought it was just as insane when he decided to let Sane go back at the end of 18/19 (had to wait a year to sell after Sane got injured).

He just seems to have these sudden turns against players every so often, even if they're playing well.

Sane wanted out though, right?

Tammy not in the Chelsea squad tonight, I'm a big fan. I'd sign him. Imagine him, Watkins and Grealish as our front three.

Starting to think it won't happen tho. It'll be a cheaper continental striker with Wesley or Davis to be loaned out.

Tammy not in the Chelsea squad tonight, I'm a big fan. I'd sign him. Imagine him, Watkins and Grealish as our front three.

Starting to think it won't happen tho. It'll be a cheaper continental striker with Wesley or Davis to be loaned out.

I just don’t think we should be moving Watkins out of the position he has played so well in. He really got better at the season went on. Grealish on the left, Watkins in the middle, and sign 2 top quality players to replace Barkley and challenge Traore on the right.

• Advertisement

I just don’t think we should be moving Watkins out of the position he has played so well in. He really got better at the season went on. Grealish on the left, Watkins in the middle, and sign 2 top quality players to replace Barkley and challenge Traore on the right.

He's played all his career on the left bar the last 2 seasons. He's not a natural striker. But I hear you and think Smith won't want to change Watkins now, he's earned the right to be no.1 through hard work.

Buendia for Barkley, can't see us paying £40m for him.
    Presume Guilbert returns to replace Elmo.
    Wonder who we sign at LB.

Danny Rose and Ryan Bertrand are both on free's be happy with either to give Targett some backup

Guilbert coming back for a year would be nice even if he's no long term future, hopefully Kessler can be ready to step up by the following year

Danny Rose and Ryan Bertrand are both on free's be happy with either to give Targett some backup

Rose is an absolute clown, no thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭LeBash

PSV are interested in taking Wesley on a loan is the rumour.

We are being linked with King again. Probably nice business, get 1 guy game time, take in another who won't throw the dummy out of the pram for playing back up but can score and play both sides as well.

LeBash wrote: »
    PSV are interested in taking Wesley on a loan is the rumour.

We are being linked with King again. Probably nice business, get 1 guy game time, take in another who won't throw the dummy out of the pram for playing back up but can score and play both sides as well.

I’d keep Wesley, largely so we don’t have to go sign a striker. His fitness will build and he is absolutely good enough to be our number 2 striker. The money we save can go towards adding real quality in the central and right attacking positions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

I’d keep Wesley, largely so we don’t have to go sign a striker. His fitness will build and he is absolutely good enough to be our number 2 striker. The money we save can go towards adding real quality in the central and right attacking positions.

The big worry is if Watkins picks up an injury to keep him out for weeks or months. I don’t think we can depend on Wesley apart from a cameo role until proven otherwise in the heat of battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

VillaMad wrote: »

Not very exciting for me, McNeil looks very similar to Stewart Downing in that he has good left foot and is a very hard-worker but has nothing outstanding. With 3 years on his deal at Burnley, it would probably take something like £25 million plus too I reckon, which is mad for an average enough player.

McNeil really does remind me of a MON type signing. Downing is a good comparison. A workhorse who would be useful against better teams because he will probably track back more than El Ghazi or Traore. He wouldn’t get you off the edge of your seat though.

Panrich wrote: »
    The big worry is if Watkins picks up an injury to keep him out for weeks or months. I don’t think we can depend on Wesley apart from a cameo role until proven otherwise in the heat of battle.

He is gonna have a full pre-season by the looks of it. He will surely be closer to fitness and is still a 20+ million Brazil international.

I don’t really see him pushing Ollie for the starting spot, but if he gets through a full pre-season unscathed, he should be a more than capable backup option. Signing a better backup option would be expensive and take away from our budget for signing quality in the positions we hugely need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

eagle eye wrote: »
    City want England internationals, it doesn't really matter where they play, the bigger their star the more City want them.

Do they? Can you give me an example if that?

JPA wrote:
    Do they? Can you give me an example if that?
    Sterling.

• Advertisement

Sterling.

Great example from 6 years ago. Your statement is not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭pavb2

He is gonna have a full pre-season by the looks of it. He will surely be closer to fitness and is still a 20+ million Brazil international.

I suppose the question is do you loan him out to get more game time or take a slower approach as back up to Ollie along with Keinan. Either way I think it’s going to be a very long road back for Wesley. I can’t see him having any real impact until Next year fortunately at 24 he still has time to come good.

I suppose the question is do you loan him out to get more game time or take a slower approach as back up to Ollie along with Keinan. Either way I think it’s going to be a very long road back for Wesley. I can’t see him having any real impact until Next year fortunately at 24 he still has time to come good.
    If you loan Wesley out, you have to go sign someone. If you sign someone like Josh King you've signed someone who isn't going to be better than a fullly fit Wesley. Seems like a waste of money that could be well spent in positions where we have a need in our first 11.

I think it depends on Dean Smith’s approach to risk, worst case scenario Ollie gets injured you’re then relying on Keinan and Wesley to get you goals.

Alternatively we keep hearing the owners have a bit of money so why not invest in another striker and let one of Keinan or Wesley go out on loan.

Unless Wesley looks immense in preseason we will be bringing in another striker.

Davis should be sold, let's just stop that charade.

I dont think a whole lot has to be done to the squad. We need someone to come in and be able to play in the CAM, need someone on the right wing and left back. Probably another centre half as well seen as Engles isn't fancied anymore (I'd take Axel who can double up as a DM and is super on the ball)

Id take King as a back up striker and he can play either wing, let Wesley go out on loan and we have Davis in a disaster, Barry coming through. King will be there for 1-2 years and let him off.

We were 10 points off 6th, if we didn't lose Jack for as long as we did, we could easily have been right up there.

JPA wrote: »
    Unless Wesley looks immense in preseason we will be bringing in another striker.

Davis should be sold, let's just stop that charade.

Can you get a decent striker for less than 20 million? Honestly, I don’t think Josh King is any better than Wesley. He barely figured at Everton.

The word coming out of the club already is that we’re not going to be spending as much as the last 2 summers and instead focusing on bringing in quality in areas of need. If that’s true, I can’t see how Josh King fits into that strategy. Ollie Watkins is our striker for the next 5-10 years you would think. I don’t know who our CAM or RW is for the next 12-18 months even.

Can you get a decent striker for less than 20 million? Honestly, I don’t think Josh King is any better than Wesley. He barely figured at Everton.

The word coming out of the club already is that we’re not going to be spending as much as the last 2 summers and instead focusing on bringing in quality in areas of need. If that’s true, I can’t see how Josh King fits into that strategy. Ollie Watkins is our striker for the next 5-10 years you would think. I don’t know who our CAM or RW is for the next 12-18 months even.

I never mentioned Josh King. We got away with it with Watkins this year in terms of injuries. If Smith is confident that Wesley can play a significant part next season then I'm happy to trust him.

I never mentioned Josh King. We got away with it with Watkins this year in terms of injuries. If Smith is confident that Wesley can play a significant part next season then I'm happy to trust him.

I know you didn’t, but the point still stands. Can we get an improvement over Wesley for less than 20 million (or an aging player whose wages end up with similar net financial result)

If there is a dirt cheap guy in the French or Nordic leagues who is gonna be able to handle the step up to Premier League football, great, but I don’t think it’s any less risky than trying to get the best from the 20 million we’ve already spent,

If Smith is confident that Wesley can play a significant part next season then I'm happy to trust him.

But after a bad injury why do we think Wesley’s going to be a better player for us than before? 5 goals in 22 appearances and he’s really only got 6 months PL experience. Of course we could argue that he’ll have better service from better players around him and can step up but that remains to be seen.

Much as I want Wesley to do well, at the moment I just think it’s a big gamble to rely on him filling Ollie’s boots should he get injured.

• Advertisement

But after a bad injury why do we think Wesley’s going to be a better player for us than before? 5 goals in 22 appearances and he’s really only got 6 months PL experience. Of course we could argue that he’ll have better service from better players around him and can step up but that remains to be seen.

Much as I want Wesley to do well, at the moment I just think it’s a big gamble to rely on him filling Ollie’s boots should he get injured.

I think that people in the club obviously think highly of him having broken the transfer record to sign him. Even the DOF who was around at the time, has since been vindicated on nearly all the big money transfers despite some of them not looking great after year 1.

Wesley is young enough that the injury shouldn’t really be a showstopper for his career. It’s not impossible, but we will find out I guess. The coaching and medical staff will know whether he has made a sufficient physical recovery or not.

JPA wrote:
    Great example from 6 years ago. Your statement is not true.
    Stones, Kyle Walker. Going back a bit Gareth Barry, James Milner, Fabian Delph and Frank Lampard.

Mings and Grealish included in the euro squad, Watkins misses out.

Mings and Grealish included in the euro squad, Watkins misses out.

Disappointed for him but hope he benefits from the summer off and it lights a fire under him to get into the World Cup squad

Disappointed for him but hope he benefits from the summer off and it lights a fire under him to get into the World Cup squad

Euros probably comes a bit too soon for him but at least he was being considered he’s come a long way in a short time.

Stones, Kyle Walker. Going back a bit Gareth Barry, James Milner, Fabian Delph and Frank Lampard.

The one player they signed because he is English was Delph. The rest were and are big parts of the team. Your point was they sign players because they are English.

If Jack Grealish was German, French or Japanese they would want him just the same because he is fantastic.

JPA wrote:
    If Jack Grealish was German, French or Japanese they would want him just the same because he is fantastic.
    I'm not disagreeing that he is fantastic.
    They want him more because he is an English superstar.

I'm not disagreeing that he is fantastic.
    They want him more because he is an English superstar.

They would have to pay more because he's English, but they won't be arsed either way.

He won't be going to City, they are well stocked where Grealish can play and they need other bodies. Someone who can replace Aguero and Fernandinho, thats probably 150 million for the calibre of player they will want.

I cant see them putting the hand into the pocket for another 60-80 million (whatever is being bandied about) on top of that.

Sometimes it’s nice just to take a step back and enjoy the journey we’ve got a prized asset in Grealish worth considerably more than the 3 mill plus Onomah Spurs offered a couple of seasons ago. International players in the starting 11 at the Euros.

The club has achieved a level of stability that many others would bite your hand off for ie Everton & Spurs and 8000 people on the waiting list for season tickets. We won’t get carried away but after 10 or so years we do look like we are heading in the right direction

• Advertisement

Jack given number 7 for England if that means anything regarding starting.

Advertisement