Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Anyone see Mings brain dead moment last night?
    If the ref saw it, 100% penalty no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Esse85 wrote: »

Completely out of character

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

And a red.

Genuinely stunned that Emi didn’t get in the team of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Multiple journalists now stating that Villa are closing on an agreement with Norwich for Emi Buendia for somewhere around £30 million. Arsenal are also very interested but Villa are ahead of them in the chase for the moment.

• Advertisement

VillaMad wrote: »
    Multiple journalists now stating that Villa are closing on an agreement with Norwich for Emi Buendia for somewhere around £30 million. Arsenal are also very interested but Villa are ahead of them in the chase for the moment.

I almost feel like if we miss out on him now and sign someone of equal quality it’ll still probably be considered like the one that got away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Mad that we are now seen as a better prospect for a player than joining arsenal, I am sure Martinez was bending his ear also.

Great signing if it gets over the line

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

I can’t understand why no one bought Buendia and Cantwell when Norwich went down Buendia still had a good season.

pavb2 wrote: »
    I can’t understand why no one bought Buendia and Cantwell when Norwich went down Buendia still had a good season.

I’m sure people tried but Norwich probably had faith that by holding firm they could get both promotion and more money the following summer.

• Advertisement

Man City buy back clause for Luiz expires at midnight

Buendia will be an excellent addition to the team, seems 95% complete.
    Would remind you of a more attacking version of Sanroi Cazorla with his duel feet. Him picking out Watkins runs could be a thing of beauty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Buendia will be an excellent addition to the team, seems 95% complete.
    Would remind you of a more attacking version of Sanroi Cazorla with his duel feet. Him picking out Watkins runs could be a thing of beauty.

And one twos with Grealish will be amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

This is a real sign of where the club is going , no doubt our goalkeeper got him to come to us.

Some saying this is replacement for grealish , i hope not

No chance of a Jack replacement, they play in different positions and will compliment each other well. Buendia loves spraying it out to the left.

Replace barkleys position in squad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

sc86 wrote: »
    Replace barkleys position in squad?

I'm hoping that will be Chuke playing in the central role that Barkely 'played' last season with Buendia playing wide right.

Grealish, Chuke and Buedia as an attacking trio could be an unstoppable prospect, if the 2 CM's behind them are the correct ones.

Some reality check for arsenal fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

sc86 wrote: »
    Some reality check for arsenal fans

They think they are getting Grealish. I've a Spurs fan neighbour thinks the same, I asked what their manager has said....

In for Ward-Prowse now too being reported. That'll solve out free kick problems, that Grealish was complaining about.

https://twitter.com/Paul_Doyle/status/1401509585878458373?s=20

• Advertisement

Patser wrote: »
    In for Ward-Prowse now too being reported. That'll solve out free kick problems, that Grealish was complaining about.

What does our midfield look like with him signed, do you think? With Nakamba, Luiz, Sanson, McGinn and Ramsey all fighting for what would appear to be 2 places (assuming we're playing an AM, maybe Chukwuemeka also as part of a battle for 3 midfielder spots if we're not playing an AM), you'd imagine 1-2 of those might be on their way?

I reckon he's just a bit beyond the age we target players. Was surprised he's 26 (27 in November). Seems he's been around forever.

Not really bothered if we get JWP or not.
    Could take it or leave it.
    I thought he was much older too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

LeBash wrote: »
    I reckon he's just a bit beyond the age we target players. Was surprised he's 26 (27 in November). Seems he's been around forever.

Yeah I thought he was over 30 by now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Patser wrote: »

JWP would be the replacement for Barkley in many ways. He would not play in the same position but he would allow McGinn to push forward into a more similar position to where he does for Scotland. Meanwhile Buendia is going to replace Trez.

I could see this move making sense for Smith as he is still coming into his prime and played 100% of Southampton's premier league games last year and is good at set pieces.

He would not be cheap though. Dunno how affected the Saints have been by Covid but I'd imagine they would be looking for 30+ million for him as he is contracted until 2025. Doubt Sanson would be too happy to see him rock up at VP though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭basillarkin

30 m for jwp wouldnt be mad in todays market but there will have to be outgoings, luiz mcginn nakamaba sanson conor and carney for 2 spots. will bunedia play the 10 role, jack on left if he stays and traroe on the right? trez elgazi ramsey as back up for the attacking spots?

Grealish and Mings starting against Romania, first 10 mins and Mings has been all over the place all ready.

30 m for jwp wouldnt be mad in todays market but there will have to be outgoings, luiz mcginn nakamaba sanson conor and carney for 2 spots. will bunedia play the 10 role, jack on left if he stays and traroe on the right? trez elgazi ramsey as back up for the attacking spots?

Carney isn't going to go from 2 sub appearances to starting despite his obvious potential. Maybe Ramsey goes out on loan to get more guaranteed game time and Carney comes in as backup for McGinn making mostly sub apperances but starts in cup games. Grealish on the left Buendia on the right and Traore sub for both with El Ghazi as backup only kept around as Trez is going to miss most of the season through injury.

Then 2 for each of the two CM positions with Luiz and Prowse the usual starters but Nakamba and Sanson on the bench.

If someone like JWP could be signed all I would be expecting is a CF and then maybe backup for Targett but that could be a cheaper or young player.

tbh I think we would be lucky if Southampton didn't try to squeeze Villa for as much as possible, given how long Prowse's contract is and that he is their captain so I wouldn't be expecting this one to go trough like the Buendia one seems to be doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

JWP is an ambitious target. I know he's super at set pieces but how is he in general play?

Would he play in a 2 in a 4231?

• Advertisement

JPA wrote: »
    JWP is an ambitious target. I know he's super at set pieces but how is he in general play?

Would he play in a 2 in a 4231?

I think that’s the exact role he is in for England at the moment.

Watkins, Mings and Grealish all on the pitch now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Grealish won the penalty for England. Didn't see it myself.

JPA wrote: »
    Grealish won the penalty for England. Didn't see it myself.

Yeah he was fouled several times throughout the game.
    Has played better while out left instead of in the centre.
    Still not fully sharp as you'd expect but 90+ mins in his back pocket tonight.

Jaysus forgot all about Sanson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Buendia deal confirmed by the club. Will be completed after Argentina's game tomorrow night. Great early business done.

https://twitter.com/AVFCOfficial/status/1401833913425747969?s=19

• Advertisement

Rashica has a €15 million relegation release clause and a few rumours that we are back interested in him.

Chris Wood being linked as well at 25m in a few places.

Wood is a class player, id like him on board. Not sure about Rashica but apparently he is lightning quick.

Rashica has a €15 million relegation release clause and a few rumours that we are back interested in him.

Chris Wood being linked as well at 25m in a few places.

Wood is a class player, id like him on board. Not sure about Rashica but apparently he is lightning quick.

Chris Wood is nearly 30, and wouldn’t start in our team ahead of Watkins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I'd always be wary of buying Burnley players unless they were real, proper stand outs like McNeil etc. They have such a particular system and way of playing that a lot wouldn't flourish as well in other teams, similar to Sheff Utd players imo. I don't think Wood would be a great option really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

The Buendia signing is great new, and so early in the summer too. Just watched all his goals and assists on youtube. Some great through balls and balls over the top - I can see him and Watkins doing well together!

He also takes penalties, which is great, seeing as Jack isn't prolific from the spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

If we do end with Ward Prowse we'll be in that happily horrible place of no idea where you immediately improve the team which will be a huge test for the next window. There'll be no position where we look weak

• Advertisement

If we do end with Ward Prowse we'll be in that happily horrible place of no idea where you immediately improve the team which will be a huge test for the next window. There'll be no position where we look weak

Tyrone Mings, he's mistake prone.

He is, but he’s still clearly good enough for Villa. If he wasn’t error prone he’d be playing for a top 4 team because he has everything else in spades.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

CSF wrote: »
    He is, but he’s still clearly good enough for Villa. If he wasn’t error prone he’d be playing for a top 4 team because he has everything else in spades.

The hardest thing to replace would be his leadership ability. The game against Palace where we conceded three and were in general a shambles at the back showed what he brings to the table. Konsa seems very quiet so he needs a dominant type beside him.

Panrich wrote: »
    The hardest thing to replace would be his leadership ability. The game against Palace where we conceded three and were in general a shambles at the back showed what he brings to the table. Konsa seems very quiet so he needs a dominant type beside him.

Yeah, but his physical attributes are immense also. He drives me crazy like, but I don’t think we could improve on him in the market too easily. Left sided defenders especially are hard to come by.

England would say the same, Konsa is twice the player. If we finish the summer with Ming's being our weak link then that is absolutely amazing

CSF wrote: »
    Chris Wood is nearly 30, and wouldn’t start in our team ahead of Watkins.

Yeah but he offers something different than Watkins. He's basically Davis but can score. Big powerful bloke who would work well in a 2 if we were chasing.

The price tag is crazy though.

Yeah but he offers something different than Watkins. He's basically Davis but can score. Big powerful bloke who would work well in a 2 if we were chasing.

The price tag is crazy though.

25 million for essentially a substitute option, is surely notions beyond where we currently are.

It’s not that I don’t rate Wood, but eh he’s a Premier League starter, just a lesser one than Watkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Emi Martinez suffered a heavy knock and was stretchered off for Argentina. Seemed to have landed on his head when Mina went up to challenge him. Hopefully nothing serious.

Being linked with King now on a free after his release from Everton.

That would be a good bit of business to strengthen the squad

King in Davis out would be a good move for all concerned

• Advertisement
Advertisement