Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Patser wrote: »
    Whatever it is has just gone back down about £10 million, subbed off after very quiet 2nd half, not looking happy

And yet their best player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

I do know one person with connections to the club that has told me he wants to go this summer and has said as much to the club. Whether that means we actually agree to that happening or City agree to pay us enough to make it acceptable is a different story.

Ah here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

JPA wrote: »
    And yet their best player.

Think Saka was

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

I think his two games have been limited by his standards. Part of this is down to the left back in both games being Shaw. Grealish likes to drift out wide to receive the ball but too many times Shaw would just stop and pass back rather than feed the ball out wide. They were certainly not on the same wavelength.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Panrich wrote: »
    I think his two games have been limited by his standards. Part of this is down to the left back in both games being Shaw. Grealish likes to drift out wide to receive the ball but too many times Shaw would just stop and pass back rather than feed the ball out wide. They were certainly not on the same wavelength.

Shaw was like a marble statue in the louvre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Reports liverpool are after mcginn
    45 million

I would have my doubts how true that is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

sc86 wrote: »
    45 million

I would doubt it as well. Also he signed a 5 year contract in December.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

45 million

Well if they offer that, i hope we take it as he isnt worth anything close to that amount based on his his consistency.

But im sure thats just a made up report due to him playing well against England.

45 million

Certainly would doubt it too but I would be tempted. Liverpool would obviously see something there (maybe he's good mates with Robertson) but I have had niggling doubts about his suitability for Smiths team going forward. We need a better balance in midfield and we shouldn't be afraid to move on players for profit.

I look at Leicester and how they've improved overall through the years despite selling Kante, Maguire, Chilwell etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Dalian Atkinson trial finds the police officer guilty of lesser charhe of manslaughter

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-shropshire-57495426

Hopefully some comfort to his family

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I'd snap the hand of Liverpool for 45 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

I think so as well, I appreciate he’s had a few niggling injuries, the step up to the PL and he has been asked to play a less offensive role but he hasn’t consistently hit the swashbuckling form we saw in the Championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

i would personally drive him to anfield for 50m

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    i would personally drive him to anfield for 50m

That's an expensive taxi service you're running there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Joking aside I hope McGinn and Grealish don’t go anywhere we’ve broken our transfer record a number of times now with Mings, Ollie, Wesley & Buendia previous record was Darren Bent in 2011. So it’s a real statement of intent to keep hold of those two and keep adding quality.

I read that the owners are prepared to put in more investment than planned in a bid to get ahead of Spurs,Everton & Arsenal.

Talksport reporting that Grealish to Man City is a done deal for 100 million (just wont be announced until after euro's).

Gutted is an understatement.

We will never have a player like him again (bar when he returns to finished his career).

We could really have done something special if we could have held him for one more season at least to see how he could link up with the better players coming in.

Im disappointed in him if this is true but its not unexpected as im sure his agent is in his head all the time forcing him to move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

CucaFace wrote: »
    Talksport reporting that Grealish to Man City is a done deal for 100 million (just wont be announced until after euro's).

We will never have a player like him again (bar when he returns to finished his career).

We could really have done something special if we could have held him for one more season at least to see how he could link up with the better players coming in.

Im disappointed in him if this is true but its not unexpected as im sure his agent is in his head all the time forcing him to move.

It’s Talksport though. May be true. But I wouldn’t get too downhearted until I see it from reliable sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭chases0102

Yeah, gutting if true. He is the best player I have seen at Villa in my time. 100 million won't replace him. But, thankfully we got him to sign a new contract last September, strengthening our position. Best of luck to him if he goes, genuinely.

CSF wrote: »
    It’s Talksport though. May be true. But I wouldn’t get too downhearted until I see it from reliable sources.

Well lets hope their sources are the sun newspaper who reported this first this morning which I totally discounted as garbage

I would have thought thought talksport are reliable enough though?

I really thought he would stay another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

He's beginning to remind me of McClean. A lot of heart but it's mostly head down and see how far he'll get with the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Well lets hope their sources are the sun newspaper who reported this first this morning which I totally discounted as garbage

Talksport aren't reliable. Clickbait radio supreme.

He might or might not be off but would put zero credence into what they say.

Eventually the media will get it right with Jack, 2 for 2 in definitely being off to Spurs and Utd.

Talksport are the radio equivalent of tabloids. The fact that they’re really whacking their certainty to this is a little worrying but I won’t panic too much until someone with Villa links starts reporting it.

Sky now reporting Villa have opened new contract talks with Grealish now.. and saying we have no intention of selling.

So what seems to be the actual truth is that City are planning to make a bid after the Euro's (reported 100m GBP).

But what was has been reported is wrong (saying that Villa have accepted this) and have actually offered him a new contract earlier this week, and are not open to any bids as their whole transfer policy for the summer has been based on him being there next season.

I assume that £100m includes Foden as well.

I do know one person with connections to the club that has told me he wants to go this summer and has said as much to the club. Whether that means we actually agree to that happening or City agree to pay us enough to make it acceptable is a different story.

Can you text dean and ask him for the truth ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

We've another year with grealish tbh to see what progress we make and then gloves are off. I see evidence of any 100 million move especially not to city. Paper ink ink paper or in this case talksport Instagram page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Talksport were using the Mirror as a source. So I doubt it. Its worked though, they'll have every Villa fan, Man City fan and fans of the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs etc who thought he should be going to their club clicking links.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I honestly cannot believe how many column inches / clickbait stories they get out of Grealish "moving"

I have no doubt if Man City offered over 100m for Grealish and Jack told the club he wanted to leave they would probably consider allowing the move but unless they actually offload a few of the Mahrez/Sterling etc type of players that they are linked with wanting to offload then I honestly cannot see it happening.

They have never signed a player for 64m (Rodri) and now people think that they wil ldo that twice in one (pandemic hit) summer window. Their main target and need seems to be a CF / Kane, not him.

Apart from City I could only see Chelsea bidding that much and their main focus also seems to be on a CF but for them it's Haaland.

All these stories are using each other as sources and the stories aren't actually coming from anywhere it seems. Doesn't mean that the stories will stop though and anytime Villa sign anyone there will be more - already spending their Grealish money - comments even though our owners are loaded already.

Edit: I mean look at this headline

"BREAKING: Manchester City preparing bid of £100m to sign Jack Grealish from Aston Villa after Euros"

Then nowhere in the report do they say this is the case, in fact they say that despite them being interested a striker is their priority and it would be very hard to sign him from Villa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

I have no doubt if Man City offered over 100m for Grealish and Jack told the club he wanted to leave they would probably consider allowing the move but unless they actually offload a few of the Mahrez/Sterling etc type of players that they are linked with wanting to offload then I honestly cannot see it happening.

That's the main reason I don't think it will actually happen, it would have to mean Mahrez/Sterling/Bernardo Silva leaving and I fail to see clubs who could afford them wanting them this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yeah I can't see Grealish going anywhere he's not guaranteed starts. He doesn't seem like the type that would be happy to sit on the bench a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Apparently club has a 40m bid lined up for Tammy which is "imminent" you would wonder where everyone will play at this rate

kilburn wrote: »
    Apparently club has a 40m bid lined up for Tammy which is "imminent" you would wonder where everyone will play at this rate

Think it’s another without reliable sources reporting this yet.

I’ve no interest in breaking our transfer record to sign our backup striker. He’s no better than Ollie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

kilburn wrote: »

I really thought this was for Smith Rowe.

I rate Tammy, not sure where he fits in tho if we were to sign him as Watkins is in pole position.

You'd imagine Wesley would be leaving the club if that happened.

• Advertisement

CSF wrote:
    I’ve no interest in breaking our transfer record to sign our backup striker. He’s no better than Ollie.
    Watkins is miles ahead of him imo. You'll be facing big offers for him next year if he has a year like he just had.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Watkins is miles ahead of him imo. You'll be facing big offers for him next year if he has a year like he just had.

Hoping he’s as loyal as Jack as has been!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

eagle eye wrote: »

I would be hopeful of a better season. Think he got 14 PL goals last season.

He will have a years experience under his belt.
    Grealish will be there to supply him all season rather than only two thirds of a season.
    Buendia will create chances for him.
    Between hitting the woodwork and having VAR disallow goals, he's could of had an extra 5 goals with a bit of luck.

I'd expect him to have close to 20 league goals in the coming season.

Whole load of reports about clubs preparing bids these days. Safe potentially bull headlines where you just take someone heavily linked to a club / likes by a club add a number and report that nothing has actually happened and boom clicks!

I’d hope Villa offer less for Tammy. Don’t get me wrong, I like him and (other clubs like west ham could move on him if they have cash) all but 40m for someone clearly not in his clubs plans is a lot, especially for a first bid.

I once collated all reports for Blackburn, think it was the summer before the 10/11 season and we were rumoured to be signing 67 players, and definitely signing 19 of them. Two were correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Is it true jack grealish has a buy out clause in his contract?

POKERKING wrote: »
    Is it true jack grealish has a buy out clause in his contract?

Doubt it, it would be an extremely well kept secret given all the speculation that has been around him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Doubt it, it would be an extremely well kept secret given all the speculation that has been around him

Yeah youd think, I read it this morning and now the article is gone so thats probably that!

POKERKING wrote: »
    Yeah youd think, I read it this morning and now the article is gone so thats probably that!

Yeah, the media aren’t doing a very good job if they haven’t got to the bottom of that one long ago, given how obsessed they’ve been with the Grealish saga.

Ornstein reporting that a 2nd (30m) bid has been rejected by Arsenal for Smith Rowe. As someone in the Arsenal thread said, you would have to imagine that ESR's agent has had a word, don't know if Villa would be pushing this hard without thinking the lad was interested.

Don't know if Villa will offer much more but there will be the question of if Arsenal should look to cash in if contract talks (he only has 1 year left) do not progress as they hope with him.

Ornstein reporting that a 2nd (30m) bid has been rejected by Arsenal for Smith Rowe. As someone in the Arsenal thread said, you would have to imagine that ESR's agent has had a word, don't know if Villa would be pushing this hard without thinking the lad was interested.

Don't know if Villa will offer much more but there will be the question of if Arsenal should look to cash in if contract talks (he only has 1 year left) do not progress as they hope with him.

Its very interesting for sure and it does look like we seem to think we can be successful in this.

If Villa can go and take one of Arsenals best young players from them like this, that would be a massive statement to world football that Villa are a club on the move and could really help get other players to join who may not have done so previously.

But i cant see it happening, as it would also be a huge statement about Arsenal and their owners which i just can't see them being willing to make.

Its very interesting for sure and it does look like we seem to think we can be successful in this.

If Villa can go and take one of Arsenals best young players from them like this, that would be a massive statement to world football that Villa are a club on the move and could really help get other players to join who may not have done so previously.

But i cant see it happening, as it would also be a huge statement about Arsenal and their owners which i just can't see them being willing to make.

I am currently thinking it'll be one of him or Alvarez and for some reason think the latter might be more likely. That said I am unsure of the Argentinian's position from the reports I've read as they all note he call play all across the front so he may infact be the backup we need for Watkins as much as he is competition for the 3 AM slots.

I still reckon we’re probably being used as leverage in contract negotiations by his agent

I still reckon we’re probably being used as leverage in contract negotiations by his agent

I'd agree with that. Would wonder how far apart him and Arsenal are in their negotiations though as if they can't make a deal Villa are looming large over the whole situation.

I'd agree with that. Would wonder how far apart him and Arsenal are in their negotiations though as if they can't make a deal Villa are looming large over the whole situation.

Yeah, could happen if they don’t manage to agree on it. But the timing of it all is fishy, during contract negotiations etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement