Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭LeBash

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭pavb2

A comfortable win for us tonight, it’s amazing what Steven Gerrard has done with the players 17 games in and it does finally seem like we can play without JG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

Imagine a fit Traore and Sanson in the squad too.

Suppose every manager can probably say that about having a whole squad to choose from.

Really hope a DM is the priority now in January if Nakamba is out for the season, gutted for him as his form had been excellent in recent games.

I didn't see the game tonight and have been critical of Watkins on here in recent weeks.

I have listened to podcasts and read comments from fans at the game tonight and it's been said that Watkins body language changed after he was asking to go out wide for Ings, I wonder is that what you mean?

Also I'm reading several comments that say, apart from the goal he was very poor.

It seems we all have different metrics for judging Watkins. Some are simply happy with a goal etc.

From what I have seen of him this season, he's been poor compared to last season, seems slower and link up play has been sloppy. I was so positively vocal about him on here last season, that's why I've not been impressed this season to date as I know he can play a lot better. Gerrard has certainly gotten more goals from him in the last handful of games than Smith has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭Patser

I think the thing with Watkins is that's he's not happy being left up front as a hold up type player. A lot of his goals last season were using his pace to attack into space often created by Grealish dragging defenders onto him. This season Watkins is often isolated, and well marked but is being asked to hold up the ball for others to get up to him.

Maybe that's why he seemed a bit happier when Ings came on and took on that role, while Ollie was given a chance to look for space on the wings to run in to.

I'm not being harsh on him, or saying he's poor. Just that body language wise he doesn't seem the same player as last season. And he definitely goes to ground to easy, as couple of falls tonight looking for frees were embarassing, especially the 'peno' one in the box, when he slipped to his kness, then tried to dive from there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,658 ✭✭✭✭CSF

6 games in and Gerrard has ticked every box so far.

Long way to go, but it’s definitely the first time where you could feel confident in the team with or without Grealish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

I dont see how traore fits into gerrards plans. He doesnt look the type of player for this system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Don't see why not, wide player, pushing inside. He already does that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

On the ball he could possibly be quite good in that role. Plenty of ability and a good left leg. Physically strong enough to play inside too.

Off the ball I think he might struggle a bit. Those dual #10s have a lot of defensive work to do and have to be tactically disciplined. Traore would need to improve a lot on the part of his game.

I'd like to see him get a fair chance anyway.

• Advertisement

Its more the work rate and defensive side of things , no doubt his ability.

Hopefully gerrard will get more out of him , hes getting more from everybody so why not i suppose.

I thought it was another mixed bag of a performance last night. Some lovely stuff first half and a bit of messy second half.

The players must have been a little tired after the Liverpool game and the Covid distractions pre game so understandable imo.

First half the passing in the midfield block was very good. We played Cash in time and time again and his delivery was largely poor. He needs to improve this part of his game and fast given this system.

Ramsey outstanding first half and such a good goal. He was fouled a lot second half and he didn't get to drive forward as much but he looks very impressive at the moment.

Delighted to see Carney do so well when he came on. He's such a talent and physically he's ready for this level. Great assist.

I think our full backs are doing a great job until the final ball. I believe Gerrard will look to replace them in time if this doesn't improve.

Buendia was alright again. Could do better but improving gradually each game now which is positive.

On Watkins, as mentioned above his role has changed so much under Gerrard. He has to play more central now. He likes to drift out to the left looking for space....too much previously imo so he needs to adapt. 3 goals so far for Gerrard isn't bad but he defintely needs to tighten up his touch and passing which was better last night.

Ings has his work cut out to fit in to this new system given what's been asked of our #9 now.

I'd throw a big chunk of the budget on a #6 in Jan if the right player can be found. It's probably the area we need to strengthen as a priority at the moment with Marv out injured.

I thought Luiz was excellent last night and will be more of an asset if played higher up the pitch.

He links up really well with Buendia.

Such a shame about Nakamba as both McGinn and Luiz can't take off the shackles now until a DM is brought in.

Ings is a real concern given his age and injury record and the fact Watkins doesn't link well with a partner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

Burnley handed an advantage in freshness having had their game postponed last night.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Looks like it will be the only game not postponed on saturday too. A win would be massive here, keep the momentum going and move up the table while the other teams fixtures start to pile up.

we’d be level with Spurs, but they have four games in hand. How did that happen?!?! Was there a Covid problem or something at White Hart Lane (or whatever it is called now)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭circadian

Sanson has covid because of course he does the poor fecker.

Would be great to make sure the club work hard to keep covid under control. The more games we can have on schedule the better as other teams will have to play extra games closer to the end of the season if they're having outbreaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

One of their games (Burnley?) was called off due to snow, and I think they've had 2 games pulled due to covid but one of those might have been their opponents who had the problem. They've been unlucky.

Game postponed because of COVID.

Ya, COVID and snow, not paying much attention are you?!

• Advertisement

I guess they got some late positive results. Not ideal.

PCR tests were done Thursday. Probably got a couple of positive cases otherwise I guess they'd have gone ahead

I don’t pay much attention, no. I just follow Villa as was born and brought up in Birmingham. But don’t follow the game very closely

This is probably only the start I imagine a few more games will be postponed over the Christmas/ New Year period

They'll probably be back ready to go and everyone else will be unavailable.

I dont think it's a bad thing today. Burnley are tough side to play against and had no game in 6 days. We've injuries and covid in the camp. Probably would have made for a tougher game and we really should be looking a win from the fixture.

Any word on how many players we are down

Gerrard out of our next 2 games with Covid.

Might have needed him in midfield if the stories of who's out were true

Has there been specific stories or just general talk of a large amount being out?

• Advertisement

Just general talk on twitter naming the whole midfield as Covid cases. Konsa was named but pictured later on the official twitter.

Martinez was the player that was "afraid" to leave his car because he thought he had symptoms but passed a PCR test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

McGinn and Young missing from matchday squad. SJM a real loss of course, but apart from that we seem to be full strength?

Traore on the bench.

Ings and watkins both starting.

Matty rash

Mings has lost the head now. A total liability out there since Lukaku has come on.

A good first half. Played good incisive football and looked solid. A terribly rash challenge from Cash but that's the way he plays. He loves a tackle.

I thought a very poor second half. Lukaku gave Mings nightmares and Chelsea upped their level.

Our full backs are playing well for their ability but we need better. They have very little quality or end product in the attacking third and they play a big part with our tactics.

Ings looks past his best unfortunately. Physically he was a yard or two off all game and wasn't in sync with anyone.

Chelsea obviously have a far better squad but we fell apart second half. Disappointing.

Gerrard not being there played a part in that I'm sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,525 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Mings looked knocked out after that clash with Martinez, I couldn’t believe they didn’t take him off to assess him...didn’t move for about 20 seconds after he hit the deck.

I didn't see the game, how did Sanson get on?

Was there any link up play with Ings/Watkins? Anytime I've seem them on the pitch previously, they look like complete strangers playing with each other for the first time.

• Advertisement

I thought Ings was pretty good last night. He set up a few half chances and made a few breaks.

Hes not fit yet, that's for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Sanson was very good, starting to show what the hype was about. Good energy pressuring Chelsea, passing was sharp and drive forward with the ball well at times. Understandably tired towards the end but very positive signs.

Ings and Watkins showed some promise but still not great.

I thought decision making around the box was poor at times, we took one touch too many and shot when a better option for a pass was on

Tuanzebe seems to be leaving to go to Napoli instead on loan.

Leaves us very short on defence, especially with Mings suspended tomorrow. Can only assume there's a replacement in pipeline

Davis on loan to Forest too, and big rumours Wesley on way out on loan to Brazil.

Gerrard moving on those he won't play

Doubt we had a say in the decision, so might not be something in the pipeline already, but definitely need to bring someone in now quickly.

Hause would have started beside Konsa tomorrow anyway, but with players dropping like flies across the league, cover is badly needed.

Almost every Tuanzebe appearance this season was a horror show, so he isn’t a loss in his own right IMO, but the spot absolutely needs to be filled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Rumours of Hause to watford too but would have to assume that won’t happen with Tunzabe leaving too unless we have 2 new CBs lined up

Yeah, that one can be knocked right on the head. Much prefer Hause to Tuanzebe anyway.

Axel has left, pity as he had potential, hard to dislodge Konsa tho.

Joe Gomes being linked.

Davis will be off too, no harm and badly needed, hopefully he earns a permanent move in the summer to a championship club.

At least Gerrard should be able to bring in his own new blood now.

It's a pity about Tuanzebe. He could well be a player who needs a run of games to find his true form. When he's in form I think he's a very capable defender and probably has a higher ceiling than Hause. Hopefully he gets his chance in Italy.

Hause on the other hand seems to be able to come in from and find his groove as a defender immediately which suits us as an occasional back up option for Mings/Konsa.

Watkins not in the squad.

Traore starts.

Little defensive cover on that bench.

Sanson on bench.

• Advertisement
Advertisement