Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Emi Martinez signs on till 2027

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

And Hause signed up

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Starting lineups

Olsen on the bench for the first time, Young is also back on the bench alongside Ings, Sanson, Targett and Carney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Pleasantly surprised Coutinho is fit to start. Strong 11 there. Need to see a 90 minute performance today. It’s been a while since we put together two halves of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Agreed. This is the lineup I've been waiting for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

HAs to be one of the best, dream Villa line ups I've seen in years. If even a month ago someone had said 'yeah Coutinho starting in attacking role', I'd have been asking after what they were smoking.

They need to perform now though, no more excuses - and a wounded Everton might react to show 'it was Benitez, not us, honest!'

Lawrenson has predicted Everton , so that's a good sign

This is the type of game that Watkins loves, alone up front, on last defenders shoulder, using his pace to pick up longs balls and allowing Buendia and Coutinho to get up to him. Buendia doing more than Coutinho though

Buendia in last seconds!!!

Digne's delivery pays off.

Injured themsleves in celebrations though the muppets

Actually hit by bottle from crowd! Digne down

• Advertisement

Thats 2 goals from 5'6" Buendia's head.

Tough watch that first half. Everton very aggressive and we’re rattling us. Second to every ball. Thankfully they’ve had no end product. But they’ve really stopped us playing our game.

Mings has hopefully got his weekly error out of the way with no damage.

Buendia looks better every game.

Need sharper more accurate passing in the second half.

He nearly scored with his head in the last game too. Didnt realise he had that aspect to his game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

And that's why we need to upgrade Mings in the Summer, he's like Smith, reached his peak.

Unreal save by Emi in the middle of all that scrambling.

I'd have Carney on for Coutinho, or maybe Sanson to shore up midfield

Everton making chances......

Yeah Chukwuemeka was excellent when he came on against Utd.

We are getting deeper and deeper, inviting Everton pressure onto us.

That's another - 3 great chances blown by Everton.

Gerrard needs to change something to break this up

Mina would only love to score against Martinez.

Chuk is on.

This is where the lack of a DM kills us.

McGinn and Luiz have been missing this half, no game management from them at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Got the win but we were very poor in the second half.

Agreed, don't think we deserved it, we rode our luck, but delighted to get three points and a clean sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Our midfield disappeared in the second half and Mings was bullied by DCL but we held on and got the win.

I think everyone knows we need a DM (unfortunately I think that might wait till the summer, but I hope they prove me wrong here), which was made even more obvious since Nakamba got injured. Todays 11 plus that addition could give anyone a game but without it we are somewhat fortunate to get 3 points today. That said we did get the 3 points and another clean sheet. 70m under Coutinho's belt too is nice and Beundia is coming into himself more and more after a frustrating start for Villa where you could see the quality but things just weren't coming off for him. The bench is starting to look a lot stronger too. you'd almost forget we signed Bailey at this stage too, hopefully he can be back after the international break and the bench will look even stronger as he looked like he had a lot of potential during the few cameos he had and should only get better when he gets gametime and can gel properly with the team

I've mentioned Luiz a few times but I really hope Carney signs a new deal too. Lad has huge potential and I am sure he is looking for assurances but he is only 18 and getting minutes in the premiership every week atm so surely it is the best place for him in terms of his development especially considering that he has been there since he was 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

I think the talk will be that it was a good defensive performance but we should never have allowed them to come on to us the way they did. Fortunately they only had one tactic which was to lump the ball up though it nearly paid of with the number of free kicks we gave away around the area.

It was our best line up out there but they need to improve quickly as more clinical teams will finish us off there was just no control of the game 2nd half.

Post edited by pavb2 on

Rodrigo Bentancur: Aston Villa in talks with Juventus over move for defensive midfielder. £16m fee mentioned.

My understanding is that he's not really a DM though. He's more of a No.8. We are pretty stacking in that position, between Ramsey, SJM, Chuck, and its where a lot of people feel Luiz is at his best.

Gotta be honest as I’ve not seen a whole lot of Seria A recently I’m not sure about him but he is exactly the profile of player we should be looking at. Only 24, a DM who plays (18 games this season) for a top club like Juve and already has 45 caps for the traditionally tough tackling Uruguayan national team. Plus at under 20m in today’s terms it could turn out to be a great price for just what the club need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

• Advertisement

Good podcast that one, Neil and Paddy are great to listen to. I listened to that episode last night.

Looks like this transfer is happening.

Yeah seems to be the case

"As per Tuttosport, Bentancur is one of many players up for sale, and Villa look set to sign the midfielder this week with Juventus looking to ‘accelerate plans’ to get the 24-year-old off the club’s books.

A 45-cap international with Uruguay, Bentancur is perhaps a surprise player that Juventus have allowed to leave the club this month given the midfielder’s quality and who else the Bianconeri could sell in that position."

Was odd to read that they are trying to push this through and at a relatively decent price considering he was starting for them Vs Milan only yesterday.

If it happens Gerrard can have no complaints about how the club have done / backed him in this window

Yes I thought it interesting that Purslow said that they don’t view the Jan and Summer transfer windows as two distinct events but look at the overall picture. He went on to say that there are two types of transfer, opportunistic in the case of Coutinho and Digne and in Bentancur’s case strategic.

Gerrard said he wanted to raise the age profile of the team which is a departure from the previous young and hungry approach for players who would have a sell on value. I think he knows where he and the club want to go but wants to get there sooner than anyone else had thought.

The more I think about it the more I think Bentacur could be a great deal, especially considering he is still only 24.

This team and bench (add in a RB or Nakamba when he is back to make up the 9 allowed) looks so much better than what I was expecting before the window.

I think Ramsey is a starter at this stage could Bentancur possibly start ahead of Douglas Luiz.

I think that Gerrard does not see Luiz as his DM hence Nakamba getting so much gametime once he took over. Therefore Ramsey & Luis will be fighting it out / rotated for the slightly more advanced CM slot. If Luiz does not sign a new contract he could be sold in the summer and Ramsey would be a ready made replacement.

• Advertisement

Just saw this in the Arsenal thread and had been listening to Gab Marcotti talking about Juve's interest in him recently, he was saying they had to sell players to raise money for the deal to be possible. Perhaps they have sold a DM from Uruguay.

18 months left on Douglas Luiz contract it will be interesting to see how that plays out

Davis got his first goal for Forrest tonight

His annual goal came early this year! 😁

Seriously though, hopefully regular first team football brings him on. He's unlikely to be PL standard, but he could be a menace in the championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Cameron Archer scored for Preston tonight, only joined Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭chases0102

Hi all,

Booked flights over to Birmingham for 5th March game against Southampton. Bringing the old man.

Has anyone have advice as to how to try source 2 tickets together for the game?

First thing to do is make sure you each have a Fan ID you can set this up on the Villa web site. it also helps if you have a booking history for example tickets for Man Utd at home required attendance at a previous home game I imagine for Southampton you wouldn’t need this. Once you have Fan ID and fulfill the criteria getting tickets together shouldn’t be a problem but get in early.

should also mention that once you have individual fan id’s just Assign the tickets to the relevant fan ID and you only need to do one transaction. They’ll then email the individual tickets to the main purchaser as a pdf with a bar code to be scanned at the turnstile.

Obviously have your covid bar code/record they have people around the ground who’ll check it and give you a wristband to gain entry.

Post edited by pavb2 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭chases0102

Brilliant, thanks for that pavb2, appreciate it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭adaminho

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Wasn't expecting that.

Hope he was cheap. Presume he’s 4th choice.

Covers RB, CB and DCM

Arsenal fans seem to have admired him for his versatility. Only 6 months left on his contract so I’d imagine we got him for buttons.

Wow another one to come out of nowhere.

Good cover for the squad. I guess Mings can rest easy for the minute. I'm sure we won't be signing another CB in this window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Has he played DCM before? Very smart signing regardless …. even more out of the blue than Danny Ings signing!

• Advertisement
Advertisement