Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Feels like teams are allowing Cash space out on that side now, knowing that he’s a fast route to an attack ending.

If Atletico want to pay decent money for him I’d be driving him there, in spite of him being good defensively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Very poor again. Midfield isn’t working at all and something needs to change.

I don’t see the point of bringing on Chuckwuemeka for 10 minutes to try change things when we are chasing a game. He hasn’t shown much when he does come on. You can tell there is talent there but he’s not ready. The only reason I can see is to try get him to sign a contact because he isn’t going to win us the game.

Martinez has been poor enough the last couple of games too. He’s made at least one big mistake each game and even his kicking has been off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Terrible game on so many levels.

What has hause done to now be 4th choice cb behind chambers?

Our 2 strikers badly need a goal , they look visually depressed during games now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Agree about our midfield Newcastle pressed us quite high up the pitch meaning Coutinho, Ramsey and Buendia couldn’t get on the ball, drive forward and create much around their penalty area I think the last three results and inconsistency of performance are indicative of where we are at the moment which is a mid table team. More changes needed in the summer I think.

SG says he’ll make changes for Watford but I don’t see wholesale changes maybe one or other of Sanson, Ings or Bailey to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Bailey won't be starting. He's played about 100 mins this season.

SG was obviously a big part of getting Coutinho in but other than the initial bounce, we have been poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Back 5 is set in stone. Luiz and Watkins under most immediate threat I’d imagine. Wonder will he try Chambers at DM.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I think this space was due to Saint-Maximan not tracking back.

Yeah, that happened in the 2nd half. But I’d noticed it in the first half and the Leeds game. Teams seem to be actively defending the wide areas out on Digne’s side, but they seem to be letting Cash have it and making sure our danger men in the middle don’t get any space.

Might be a case where Gerard wanted a right footer so our CB changes would be Konza -> Chambers and Mings -> Hause

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,828 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I think Villa are suffering form Gerrard coming in mid season, the first bounce worked but i think your now looking tired and a bit jaded,

I reckon Gerrard needs pre-season and two new CB's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

The issues are tactical and whether or not we have the right players to play this system - full backs pushing high and two CMs becoming ‘false’ fullbacks. It’s designed to get us moving through the lines and creating space for the two no 10s but it’s just not working.

It worked very well in SPL with Rangers dominating most games but very different situation in more competitive EPL.

I’m slightly worried that we’ll end up spunking loads of money on players to ‘fit’ the system, only to find out the system was the problem all along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Sanson and Ings have to be given a start tomorrow.

After Newcastle it’s a good opportunity to get a win at home against a team fighting relegation.

SG was quite scathing about the players last week be interesting to see what he does or if this was just an emotional reaction to the loss.

if the players have anything about them I see nothing but a win today.

Ings in for Watkins, that's the only change to the line up.

Gotta say I was expecting more changes. Surprised to see Luiz keeping his place.

At least one of the midfielders should have been dropped. Sanson must be awful in training to not be getting a look in

Also expected more changes.

is this not on tv?

can see why chambers was available free

If Gerrard was hoping for a reaction from the players that he decided against dropping he hasn’t got it. Watford have absolutely brought Villa down to their level.

• Advertisement

sanson on at ht please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭DBIreland

How is Ings playing

Has been involved in some moments but not amazing. I know Watkins has been off form of late but he is a level above Ings and it shows. The energy of the team is completely off without Watkins' running up there.

To play with your FBs as the highest players up the pitch, you need them both to be excellent attacking players, fair enough Digne was brought in, Cash simply isn't good enough to play this role.

Secondly you need a Fabinho type that will mop up and cover for the FBs when they are caught high up the pitch, we don't have this and haven't had this player in years yet Gerrard insists on trying to put square pegs in round holes. We don't have the personell to play the system he wants.

Thirdly, Buendia, Coutinho and Ings lack the pace required to get in behind a defence.

If Watford nick a goal and win this you could see Villa Park turning toxic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

We're a very frustrating team to support and particular players failings keep repeating week after week.

I miss Deano

if this happened under smith fans would be looking for his head.

terrible stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

What is going wrong? Things are just not clicking, while all the pieces seem to be there

New manager bounce well and truly gone. All I’m seeing now is a celebrity manager with no plan B.

• Advertisement

no shots on target for first half at home again watford, no excuse for that

This system is just exposing the players.

Cash, McGinn, Luis all really poor under Gerrard, our CBs get no protection at all.

Ramsey the only improvement under Gerrard. We are so easy to play against.

Surely the first thing we must be, is difficult to play against. Does the manager still think he's in the SPL?

1 point from the last 4 games is disgraceful given the relegation fodder we've been up against.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Leon Bailey is just useless. What a complete waste of money

And also, Ramsey, his all round game for a CM just isnt nearly good enough yet for this level. None of our CMs have been good enough.

We aren't clear of a relegation battle...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Atrocious result. Remind me again how bad Smith was...

if you take away the coutinho transfer and hype thats brought, and the draw again united , its been a very drab start again bang average teams

Gerrard needs to get his sh*t together and quickly. Awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Gerrard panicked and left us wide open with the subs. Young at fault coupled with a poor effort to get back by McGinn. Bailey was miles off the pace. I wonder if we'll see some actual changes now for Brighton? I'm beginning to think that we can't afford both Buendia and Coutinho in the same team. Both are pushed off the ball too easily.

At least Smith had built up cred, he'd brought us up and kept us up. You could see his tactics in having wingers like Traore, Bailey, Trez, El Ghazi - hit wings at speed, Targett and Cash helping, Grealish the central link... not perfect, especially given standard or Trez and El Ghazi and of course losing Grealish, and often exposed but still a plan - and 7-2 vs Liverpool forever an incredible highlight

Gerrard has Buendia, Coutinho and Ramsey all trying to play in same position, Digne and Cash now the only wide options as we try to force it through the centre - you play relegation facing teams with packed defence looking to counter and it's bound to fail...... so where's plan b

We will end up like Everton if we are not careful, spending loads of money, burning through managers and closer to relegation than mid-table.

You'd wonder has Gerrard lost the players?

I dunno if there’s a lot to go with that. Given that Villa players have performed poorly for about 14 months now. It’s not as if we’ve suddenly downed tools.

Gerrard temporarily made things look a little bit better, but it didn’t last long and now we’re sh*t again.

Its on Gerrard to sort it out now. He’s going nowhere soon in reality.

I see some of our players who played today have already been told they can find new clubs in the summer. This cant be good or correct info?

Some outlets on twitter saying this

• Advertisement

Think there just random Twitter accounts waffling from what I’ve seen. Haven’t seen any actual journalists report it.

I'm not on twitter so who are these players mentioned? Cash, Luis, McGinn I wonder?

Could be Mings and Watkins another day.

The tweets I saw didn’t mention any names. Basically what’s happened is there are people who did not want Smith to be sacked who appear to be revelling in this a little too much.

Even without the starters today I think there will be a few going permanently in the Summer El Ghazi,Trezeguet, possibly Davies, I doubt we’ll see Guilbert or Targett back at Villa and surely there are question marks over the future of players like Sanson, Young and Traore.

Edit

That’s exactly what I fear, I think Edens and Sawaris are in it for the long run but if they get seriously burned they could fall out of love and cut their losses like Lerner did - we all know how that went.

I don’t think he’s lost the players just yet… but it’s not far off. Brighton will be a very tough game against a tactically astute manager sore from a big loss today.

As others have said, Deano had a lot of goodwill in his locker and had at least proven he can get us out of a rut or go on a winning streak. Gerrard has none of that. Very worrying.

Palace hammered Watford tonight, they were away.

We lost at home to Watford Saturday, just goes to show how poor a result that was.

With Burnley 18th and winning again, it means they are only 7 points behind Villa with a game in hand and similar goal difference.

If Villa don't get a win in the next 2 games, we are gonna be in the thick of this relegation fight to avoid 18th place I hate to say it.

We still have to play Burnley twice but that safety points buffer is being eroded game by game.

SG needs to stop the rot though at this stage I’m not sure what the solution is. I know he’s gone but against Newcastle and Watford I felt we missed Jack and his ability to break down a defence and create something.

There were times on Saturday when a player had space in front of him and chose to pass rather than carry the ball forward, I wonder if this is SG’s instructions, The passing game is fine if executed properly but we’re too slow to get the ball out of defence allowing the opposition defence to reset. I also thought that instead of trying to go through the middle we should have gone to the byline and put crosses in to the box but again the quality of our crosses has been poor of late so maybe that wouldn’t have worked either

Not panicking just yet as there are other teams in freefall but I think we’re in for a nervous end to the season and can’t see us getting much from Brighton away or Southampton at home

Post edited by pavb2 on

Burnley just beat Spurs, and are now 7 points behind us with a game in hand - and are currently 18th and in relegation zone - so that's how close the relegation zone suddenly is. Ok Leeds and Everton are also currently stinking things up below us, but we need to switch on sooner rather than later.

Also jarring is Palace hammering Watford away - after our failure.

Watkins in for bundeia the only change. Making the same mistakes game after game. Gerrard looking well out of his depth now

• Advertisement
Advertisement