Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I'd say he is at the very least more consistent, that said I also expect Villa's CBs to be improved in general with a proper DM playing in front of them next season. I would think that he might fall into the opportunistic category they talked about before given his free status hence they have also been looking at others like Ginter before he decided to stay in Germany and De Vrij and thats just the ones we know about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

I would of been happy with Tarkowski prior to Konsa injury.

I definitely think a good DM makes the CBs look better.

I'd still be satisfied with just Tarkowski knowing that the DM now has been signed, and sounds like a gooden, can't say I know much about Kamara tho.

Would like another CM as I expect 2, possibly 3 to go of Luiz, Nakamba, Sanson, McGinn.

Chukwuemeka, should be sent on loan to the championship, no way is he good enough to start, Tim better off getting game time in that league too. Let's see how these guys do playing 35-40 games etc.

If Targett leaves, then cover for him, as Young shouldn't play next season for us.

And obviously a striker as ye know my feelings on Watkins, and I just wonder is Ings over the hill now, i know he's not even 30 but his body is well into the 30s given his injuries. Send Archer back on loan as a full season in championship would do him good.

If the current reports are to be believed there is no reason Tarkowski won't still be wearing Claret and Blue next season. The reports have stated that the three teams known to be in for him are Villa, Fulham and Everton. Everton are said to be willing to offer him 90k a week. Villa are said to have offered him double his current 60k a week Burnley wage.

Also in CB Duje Caleta-Car of Marseille is being once again linked to Villa. It had been reported that Gerrard was interested in him a few weeks ago but our signing of his Marseille teammate Kamara could have make people think that he wasn't actually looking at Caleta-Car at all but now suggestions are that we were interested in both and a move may be imminent for the Croatian that West Ham were previously interested in.

A 3rd CB being linked according to reports in Germany however is Wolfsburg's Maxence Lacroix who is rated at about 20m although those reports cite a release clause of 34m sterling.

Meanwhile we have a 4th with Diego Carlos via The Athletic but suggest that perhaps a defender would have to leave if this was to be a possibility. Then there is the usual Rangers player linke with their CB Bassey making it 5 for the day. Are the club just checking out a lot of players or could we see multiple CBs signed?

Brighton are supposedly interested in the possibility of bringing in Ings and perhaps unsurpringly given how the season went for him at Villa the club are open to the possibility of selling him if it helps fund a supposed A list striker. There don't seem to be any new striker links but keeping West Ham target Ollie Watkins is apparently one of Gerrards top priorities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Great news if true, the defence needs some serious upgrading. I'm still on the fence about Gerard but I'd like to see what he comes up with after a summer transfer window. Our midfield has some great talent now although it's a shame Bailey is just so injury prone and we're not too bad up front but yeah defence is where huge improvements are needed.

Has anyone seen Calvin Bassey of Rangers actually play? The llinks are getting stronger and the fact that he can play both CB and LB would be a big plus for him signing (as even though Targett to Newcastle now seems a bit less likely his return on a permanent basis probably isn't the most likely either) and it seems the links to him are getting stronger and although i'm not usually enthused by the links to Rangers players him being only 22 would be a positive as a lot of the established names Villa are being linked to are already nearing 30 and would be need replacing in a few years.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Saw him in a couple of the Euro games. Certainly potential there.

I thought SG mentioned wanting winners, which led me to believe he wants experience.

Haven't seen anything of Bassey.

Linked with Diego Carlos from Sevilla yesterday too.

Certainly the spine of the team is being looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Villa getting their business done extremely early this year. Appears to be a fee of around £26 million or so. Don't know too much about Diego Carlos as he is a bit of a late bloomer but know that quite a few clubs were interested in him, in particular Newcastle who had bids rejected for him in January.

Not too keen on signings too many players like him at 29 years of age as you have little resale value and he has to hit the ground running. With our links to Tarkowski and Bassey as well, it looks like perhaps Mings could be off.

Wow That one was done fast. I really like how the club does business and although I'd have preferred a younger player 26m for a starting CB of his caliber is pretty good value. Kamara and Carlos in already makes the team a lot stronger and although both are probably on big wages there has not been a huge spend.

I wonder hoe much we could get for Mings and might there have actually been something to the seemingly random link to Newcastle being interested in him I saw a week or so back.

• Advertisement

Can't say I know much about Diego Carlos, seems to play in the same position as Mings, but a right footed player.

Sounds like he can play out from the back.

The club are so efficient at getting deals done and over the line.

Would expect a handful of outgoings at some stage.

I still think Tarkowski will be signed.

Bissouma too.

Suarez and cover at LB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Mings is better than Tarkowski IMO. Mings and Carlos (who is right footed) as the CB partnership next season please.

Has to be a good chance Leon Bailey is going to step forward next season too. He hasn’t become sh*t overnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I haven't watched a huge amount of full Villa games this year - has Konsa dropped off a lot or something?

He's had a poor season, hasn't kicked on, got injured towards the end and out for about 4 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Yes Mings also starts for me I think The danger is that we try and introduce too many players at once and the last time we did that we got relegated.

Sanson, Traore and Bailey are frustrating with their injury record. I was speaking to a Man City fan at the game Sunday and he said they were interested in Bailey a couple of seasons ago. Buendia playing as he has the last few games, Coutinho up to speed and Bailey playing like he did against Everton at home would be so exciting

• Advertisement

I really don't think Sanson will still be at Villa after this summer, unless nobody is willing to take a punt on him until he proves his fitness. Hourihane will be off the wage bill, Surely El Ghazi & Trez will be gone on permanent deals too. Add them to Targett who will most likely move even if it isn't to the magpies and there should be at least 30m recouped there plus a good amount on wages. Could be even more if Davis is moved on permanently which to be honest might be for the best with regards both parties, he needs to keep playing and Villa could actually get a decent fee atm

I am very curious to see what happens with Guilbert though, he could be a handy backup for Cash in Gerrards system but would he come back to be 2nd choice.

I'd agree that Mings beside a player like Carlos with a proper DM infront of him should be much improved especially if he feels his place is under threat but if another out and out CB is brought in like Tarkowski I don't know if he will stick around to be on the bench. Saw another link to Newcastle today with a 30+mil price tag and similarly to Targett I'd say he would jump at the chance to move if he was benched at Villa especially having just dropped out of the England squad and knowing he would have to be playing to have a chance of going to the world cup.

He has. I’m not in favour of giving up on him, but I do think it was the right idea to get legit elite competition in for him.

I don’t think it’s worth doing similar with Mings. Mings, Carlos, Chambers and Konsa is great CB coverage IMO. Leave Tarkowski go elsewhere.

Hause will be moved on too, think he was linked with Watford.

Kane Kesler Hayden could act as cover for Cash if Guilbert is sold.

If Wesley still contracted to the club?

Sanson surely wants to go for his own reasons.

Wesley's loan back in Brazil goes until next January, his contract with Villa lasts for a few more years as he signed a 5 year deal when he first joined. iirc however he isn't on crazy wages given he was only 22 and coming from Belgium at the time.

reports are definitely suggesting to expect more signings and that they want them done before pre-season

Davis starts for Forrest in the playoff final, anyone know why he's wearing gloves?

• Advertisement

Apparently we had a bid rejected for Koulibaly at Napoli. It would seem they are looking for closer to 30m with his contract situation but I’d wager the bid was put in before the Carlos bid was put in. Doubting they would go for 2cbs with that age profile.

Looks like Gerrard is losing his assistant - Beale is taking the QPR job

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Hard to know if this is a huge deal or not.

He seems to be the hands on guy at training so will need to be replaced with a top class coach.

What bearing this will have on tactics and match day remains to be seen but you’d hear that Gerrard leant on him quite heavily.

Sounded like Beale was "the mastermind", that's what I remember hearing when Gerrard was about to join us.

No idea what impact he's had, how do you judge/measure.

We've a massive backroom staff and I felt it would be reduced but didn't want Beale leaving.

At least the timing is good and allows us to get someone in. Time will tell I guess whether we miss him or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

There was lots of discussions going on and agreeing with that.

The way it was reported sounded like Gerrard was almost just a face and voice which I'd assume isn't the full story but maybe not a million miles from the truth either.

Counterpoint - the team Gerrard built at Rangers got to the Europa League final without Gerrard or Beale.

Would suggest that Gerrard’s squad building is at least decent and that the talk of it all being Beale there might have been a bit short of the mark.

And who built the foundations that enabled them to get that far?

Yes neither was around to put the icing on the cake but Gerrard and Beale would of been instrumental in the roadmap to get there.

It sounds like a big loss, Martinez said on an interview recently how great Beale was behind the scenes and on the training ground.

No doubts the club will take every stride to line up a more than capable replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭DBIreland

Plenty people linking Xabi Alonso to the assistant managers job having left Real Sociedad this week. Gerrard said in his book that his ideal assistant would be Alonso. Weather Alonso would consider an assistant position or not is another question but he would be an interesting option.

I think we need a dedicated no.2 rather than someone likely to have their head turned when the opportunity to be no.1 presents itself.

from The discussion it seems that a No 2 has more of an influence than simply just taking training but isn’t Gary McAllister Assistant Manager? I agree with others though and John Terry is a case in point as from a fan’s perspective it’s difficult to measure their influence on overall performance.

Richard O Kelly under Dean Smith was highly regarded and I know he’s now left but I always expected Mark Delaney to step up into a first team role.

• Advertisement

Sergio Gomez, a 21 yr old LB Spaniard playing in Belgium linked with us today, seems to bomb on and get plenty of assists.

Aston Villa is pleased to announce the appointment of Neil Critchley as Assistant Head Coach.

Critchley leaves his post as manager of Championship club Blackpool with immediate effect to become part of Steven Gerrard’s coaching staff.

The 43-year-old led Blackpool to promotion from League One during his first full season at the helm via the play-offs and managed them successfully to a mid-table position last term.

Neil Critchley has been poached from the Blackpool job to become Villa's new assistant manager.

Joined the Liverpool academy in 2013 and coached their U-18 and U-23 sides and also memorably took charge of that Liverpool youth team who were beaten 5-0 by Villa in the Carabao Cup.

Took charge of Blackpool in 2020 and led them to promotion from League One via the playoffs in his first full season before guiding Blackpool to a respectable 16th in the Championship last season.

Is it strange a manager of a championship club leaving to be assistant of a premier League club?

Especially when he done a good job as manager.

It is, especially when Villa just lost an assistant to a Championship club. Might be internal issues at Blackpool that we don't know about but it does seem like the assistant job at Villa isn't just any assistant manager job and appears to be quite hands-on. Still unusual to give up a job where you have the final say to being an assistant.

Having someone who Gerrard knows well is important from Villa's point of view as he couldn't speak more highly of Beale. He will know Critchley well and hopefully the transition will be seamless between the two as Liverpool had a very specific way of playing when they were there and they will know what to expect from each other straight off the bat.

More and more reports suggesting Villa will not be going for another CB now that Carlos has been signed. The focus instead goes on to a backup LB, a CM and a CF. The currently lineked favorites for each position are still Suarez, Bissouma and now Quentin Merlin fills the LB slot. He is a 20yr old French defender from Nantes who apparently impressed during the game where Gerrard was spotted scouting Kamara vs Marseille. He also may be the next player Villa go for if things are to be believed as Bissouma may depend on a decision being made on Luiz and Suarez on Ings / if the club cannot identify another achievable and younger high profile CF for this season.

Despite the no longer looking for a CB line some reports are going with Bassey from Rangers is still getting linked elsewhere and perhaps could be the exception as he can also play LB and does just as much at club and international level. That said the French U-21 Merlin may be a better fit as a converted midfielder as Gerrard likes his WBs getting forward to provide width, he would also be cheaper and allow more money to be available elsewhere. This would probably mean Mings not going anywhere next season while the club are supposidly actively shopping Sanson, Trez, El Ghazi & Traroe around to see which of them will attract offers. Elsewhere a couple of young lads from West Ham and Rangers look like they might be brought in but not for the 1st team squad

Targett seems to be getting his move to Newcastle after talks took place yesterday 12m sterling. They looked elsewhere but I guess they probably aren't going to get a better value deal.

Targett did really well there (and for us), surprised we are only getting 12 million for him.

Seems very low and losing money on the guy too, unless he's in the last year of his contract?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Considering that they were desperate to avoid relegation and had just paid Burnley 25m for Woods, you’d think we could have inserted a clause there to guarantee a good profit if they stayed up.

I would say that basically retaining value on a guy who would be surplus to requirements is not the worst situation in the world.

It's as important to get players out to make room for new players.

I wish him well and he was our most consistent player when the fans couldn't attend.

Hopefully there's further exits happening soon like El Gazhi, Trez, Traore, Sanson, Hause etc

Target is officially gone. 15 million.

Looks like Conor Hourihane’s been released fantastic attitude and exactly the type of player we needed when we were struggling. Too many crosses to leading to goals to mention but highlights were his hatrick against Norwich, goals against Blues, Blackburn and probably the most important Villa goal in a long time his goal in the playoff SF against Albion.

Post edited by pavb2 on

Great player in the championship for us, proper pro.

Another midfielder we used badly at times playing him in a 2 man midfield which didn't suit him.

Wand of a left peg at times.

• Advertisement

6 youth team players gone as well.

Mungo Bridge and Dominic Revan are a surprise. They both looked good prospects.

Romanzo: "Trabzonspor have made an official proposal to Aston Villa for Mahmoud Trezeguet. Negotiations are set to begin. There are also other clubs interested in Trezeguet from Turkey and different leagues.

Also Archer scored twice for the England U-21s the other night and is now wanted by a lot of clubs for next season including Boro, Rangers and a return to Preston among others

There have been more and more links for Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain who I'm not sure why im not more interested in personally but at the mooted 10m price could definitely strengthen the squad.

Southampton, bournemouth and Brighton all have apparently asked to be kpet informed by Villa about Ings' situation and it looks more and more likely he could leave Villa.

That said the most heavily linked CF, Suarez, is supposedly in talks with River Plate and Atlanta about a move.

Matty Cash scored against Holland tonight, I'd say that's his first international goal.

Great loan spell for Archer at Preston the Decision now is whether to let Him out on another loan or introduce him to the first team I would suggest the latter

Didn't realize Ashley Young was released too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement