Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

Are there any playing staff left in AVFC?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

You really think Villa are short staffed? Haven't lost anyone that we would have wanted to keep yet, 4 signings already, and a good few young players coming back from successful loans. Obviously if everyone that has been talked about leaving actually leaves, there will be some depth issues, but who actually expects that all the players will leave in reality?

Looks like there'll be another 3 in before the window closes too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It's June...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Man Utd fan here, jealous that ye got Kamara as I think he would have been an excellent young DM signing for any club especially considering he was a free agent.

Have any details emerged regarding his Weekly wages, inbuilt bonus payments etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭LeBash

A few places saying Ings has been told he can leave. Brighton being the club being linked most. Think that one had been mentioned before the season was even out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

Looks like Bissouma to Spurs could be happening.

Wonder would Conor Gallagher be an option, or Ward Prowse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭pavb2

I think Ward Prowse though unlikely to happen would be as good if not better than the Coutinho signing. What fee would he command though £50 mill + ?

Would Gallagher be too similar to Ramsey?

Home to Chelsea first fixture.

• Advertisement

Where are you seeing that?

I'm seeing Bournemouth, Everton, Palace, West Ham, Arsenal as the first 5.

Apologies I got this completely wrong.

I had Talksport on in the background and thought that's what I heard.

Thanks for correcting me.

I thought I might have been looking at the women's fixtures.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I think the time to sign JWP was last season but we weren't going to go in strong enough. He signed a new deal and now a la Zaha would cost too much for someone to sign him and could be stuck where he is.

350k deal agreed for Rory Wilson - 16yr old from Rangers who scored 49 goals last season.

3.5m deal agreed for Trezeguet to head to Turkey permanently.

Villa are now being reported by BBCs Phil McNulty as having no plans for Ox from Liverpool, and it seems it as just the typical lazy Liverpool links.

Glad we're not interested in Ox, he's way too injury prone, done need another Sanson.

Would of thought Trez was worth more unless he's in last year of contract. Hopefully a few more follow and that speeds up incomings.

Fairly sure he was in the last year of his deal. Did well for us but everyone knows he isn't going to be playing for us again so getting a fe million and his wages off the books is good. Hopefully the club can do the same with the likes of El Ghazi now too

Looking less likely the club will be able to get good money from Davis though as Forest are close to signing Taiwo Awoniyi from Union Berlin instead. Archer however seems like he will have the pick of championship clubs or even Rangers if he is sent out on loan again, in fact with the latter he would be likely to be starting in the champions league this year!

Going to be difficult moving Davis on but it should be possible to structure a deal based on availability and performances.

If forest we’re sure that he’d be available for 75% of league games over the next two years and scored 15 goals, then they’d pay up.

His game is much more than putting the ball in the net so that would surely be worth 4m up front and maybe 4 million on both of the next two criteria as well.

Hes apparently on 50k a week. That's going to be a hard sell to move him on.

Being reported that Villa have offered Alessio Romagnoli a contract, The CB won the league with Milan this year and on a free would be a quality addition to the squad but a) Newcastle are also reported as having offered him a contract and b) Whenever I see Italian players like this linked I always expect them to end up staying in Italy a la (I know he's not actually Italian) Vlahovic last year and Romagnoli apparently had been in talks with Lazio until this news having not been happy with what AC offered him to renew.

Tomas Soucek the latest midfielder to be linked. Not sure why but I don't see this one materializing but speaking of AC Milan they were also linked to Luiz and if he is sold (seeing as he does not seem to be re0signing) then another CM could be on the cards especially as Carney once again does not seem to be re-signing.

So yeah not really expecting either of those atm, LB cover still were I expect movement next as well as players like Trez (apparently still negotiating personal terms) out/ That said the only credible link I've seen to a LB recently was the Spanish lad at Anderlecht, Sergio Gomez. Would like if that link was real as I doubt we could get better that'd be happy to be on the bench most of the time.

• Advertisement

Anyone else book a flight with Ryanair over to Villa in august for any of the games and get the flight cancelled?

Sanson to Galatasaray link has popped up. Getting the Turks to take him and Trez would be a start as it seems outside of a backup / rotational LB going for new signing might be dependent on others leaving or signing new deals.

Carney seems to be lighting up the U-19 tournament on atm for example and seems happy enough to make Villa sweat on him signing a new deal while he sees if any of Europe's big boys want to make a move for him. Meanwhile it seems the opposite with Luiz with Villa happy enough to sell him but as he only has 1 year left most suitors don't want to pay what Villa want.

Purslow and co. talking about Villa Park's expansion to above 50k capacity / closer to 60k eventually. Actually seems strange that VP only has a 42k capacity in this day and age.

Here is the planning application

I hope that the heritage is preserved and it doesn’t turn into a soulless Chelsea Village type deal. The application gives some comfort in that regard

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Villa linked with CM Porto player Otavio for €30-35m

Looks like Trez and Sanson heading to Turkish clubs.

Porto rubbished that Villa made a 25m for him about 10days ago but the same Portuguese outlets now reporting a 30m plus add ons bid is being made. Hard to know if there is any truth to it and the same outlets were suggesting Leeds were looking to bid too and that Liverpool had previously scouted him.

had seen reports that our manager & CEO were both stateside atm on holidays and that players in shouldn’t be expected for a bit.

players out however:

Kalinic is finally off the books on a permanent basis. He had been back in Croatia at Hadjuk Split on loan the last 2 seasons and will now be staying there.

it seems Trez is finally completing his move to turkey but it’s now being reported as slightly above 4m instead of 3m as was said last week.

Post edited by Bounty Hunter on

So you can't delete posts on this new boards eh? sucks... umm gotta post something now ha

Can see Villa being linked to Andrea Belotti on a free before long now that he has officially left Torino.

• Advertisement

What are the chances of getting a ticket for the Everton game? My son and I have just signed up as claret members but I would only have a small history otherwise of buying tickets and he has none.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭pavb2

I think you should be ok the key thing is to get in quick at 17.00 when you are eligible for the criteria, you'll also have more choice. Unless they've changed it booking history makes no difference for a claret club member you'll still have priority over people who buy on general sale unless of course its for big matches like Wembley when priority was given to Claret members depending on the amount of home games they had attended.

When I was booking additional home tickets for family last season I think all went to general sale but obviously some matches sold out quicker than others.

Also if matches are sold out keep trying the web site you might be able to pick up season ticket holders seats or returns which go back on sale, I got a couple of Liverpool tickets this way.

Capacity at Villa Park is approx 42.3 K, there are 30k season ticket holders, away fans 3k so that leaves 9k available for corporate, Claret Club and general sale. I'm not sure how many claret members there are.

As said the important thing is to get in there quickly, for some matches I've had mine and my wife's phone, ipad and computer all going at the same time good luck I'm sure you'll be OK with all the disruption flying over to the UK will be much more difficult.

It would seem Villa have given Young a 1yr contract. Not against the move really but I hope it doesn’t stop them bringing in a backup LB to actually challenge Digne.

Never saw him linked before but supposedly Villa are interested in Konrad Laimar from Leipzig. He is available for around 17m due to only having a year left on his deal and had been heavily linked / expected to go to Bayern but now it seems that isn't going to happen as they are keeping Marcel Sabitzer who he would have been replacing.

And while talking about Kamara / the midfield Gerrard had this to say:

" It’s still an area we’re looking to strengthen again and we want to challenge the lads that have done well for us in the last six months since we’ve been here."

I would still expect Laimar to end up somewhere else but that's because I feel the same way about him as I did with Kamara before he signed... so you never know plus 😉 this is him talking about Gerrard after his move to Leipzig!

"The way he played football, the passion and the emotions - that's what I was always able to identify with,"

Reports of Milan being after or in talks over a move for Luiz are also increasing... I'd be happy if they somehow pulled off Laimar in - Luiz out and I also believe that the 17m being reported for Laimar would be a price a team would be happy to part with for Luiz.

In other news:

The only way to stop decent Rangers players from being linked to Villa... have them signed by someone else. Joe Aribo to Southampton for 6m seems to be a thing.

Swedish left back from Sevilla heavily linked as the next signing now.

• Advertisement

Seems a done deal, loan to buy. 28 year old. At least it means should Digne get injured we won't need Ashley Young to fill in there.

Starting to worry that the significant business might be done.

tbh I think it is. They talk about two type of signings at Villa. The planned filling of gaps and the opportunistic signings. The latter could still happen if something unexpected comes up Laimar (or a CF) for example might fall into that category for example where I doubt most would expect such a deal but if it became a possibility why not especially if the likes of Luiz was then to move on.

Think they always intended on getting a backup LB but were struggling to get their targets to be happy to be backup to Digne so instead are pushing it down the road a bit with a loan who has links to new signings Carlos and Olson but the idea of the buy option incase he really impresses or proves happy to be a great backup.

It kind of makes the signings of guys like Coutinho, Carlos and Digne a bit pointless though. What’s the point in signing high wage players in their prime if you’re not going to go all in on winning now? Surely guys like Kamara is the strategy for that kind of situation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

What do we need?

You can't just constantly buy, there is so much untapped potential in the existing squad. It has to be about coaching now.

I would guess that the coaching staff think the likes of Kamara and Carlos will allow the current midfielders to play there more natural game.

I think the midfield still isn't that strong at all. Who plays beside Ramsey in front of Kamara now? Neither of McGinn and Ramsey are amazing passers of the ball. It really should be 1 of the 2 in there with somebody more technically gifted. My point is basically that there is no point in spending that kind of money on a relatively short term investment, if you're not really in a position to take full advantage of the gains you get from those players being in their prime.

Still a central midfielder to be signed.

Would imagine the slowness of departures has led to a bottleneck of transfers incoming.

Surprised people are complaining already given there's about 50 days of the transfer window still remaining.

It depends on Luiz, if he can play ahead of Kamara he will be a better player.

But if he doesn't sign a new contract, (has one been offered?) he may be sold then a replacement will be needed.

Luiz is a good passer.

Complaining as if it has already happened isn't really the case. More just worrying reading media talk about how we'll only sign players that greatly improve our squad, which while logical as an argument, has previously been the sign that we'd done our business barring an exceptional deal presenting itself.

It is very early to be worrying though. Players need to go through a month of pre season before their managers decide on the next steps.

• Advertisement

It is a bit. I'm only a little bit worried. Its that 'we'll only make signings that massively improve the first team' line that always gives me a fright (even though its technically a logical statement).

How often is media talk accurate?

Way too early for this.

I trust the club to get it right and appreciate how difficult it can be to get players out firstly, to make room for incoming players.

Secondly, this is the case for all clubs, sometimes it takes several player moves to create a domino effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

I wouldn't be panicking just yet anyway. As other posters have said there's plenty of time left and we have to get a few players off the books too.

The signings we've made have given us greater squad depth in the backline and midfield.

If Hause was fit I'd expect him to move on.

Douglas Luiz's future seems up in the air and Carney also. Both have a year left on their contracts. I'd like to keep both but I'd imagine one of them will leave. I think if we show some faith in Chukwuemeka , he will come good. I'd like to see what Luiz can playing higher up with Kamara DM this season but if he's dragging his heals then take the 20m or whatever is on offer and replace him.

The youngsters are very promising but may need another loan spell each to help their development. Archer, Kesler Kaine, Aaron Ramsey, Barry and Tim Iroegbunam all have attributes to make it with more first team experience elsewhere. It's never been harder for young lads to breakthrough at PL level and the loan market is vital to their development now.

Ideally I'd like an upgrade in the striker position. Top class number 9s are very rare now. If not...give Archer opportunities. The kid is a natural finisher. We'll need options though as we know Ings won't stay fit for 38 games a season.

Going down into the u23s young Tommi O Reilly looks a player in the Wes Houlihan mould. Full of class and creativity. From an Irish perspective it's a pity he missed out by one generation.

Been seeing a lot more links to Sangare at PSV. Could be an ideal replacement for Luiz.

Louis Barry off to MK Dons on loan

Looks likw Wesley might be coming back from his loan early too although most likely he will then be off elsewhere, maybe back to Belgium or somewhere. Real pity how things went for him, seems like a real what could have been

So Carney has been left at home form the Australian tour because he won't sign a new contract. Gerrard revealed this in an interview on the official site earlier so it must mean that the bridges are burned now and he won't be signing.

It's disappointing but Chukwuemeka has proved nothing, seems to be badly advised by his agent or have notions about himself.

Fair play to SG and the club for saying do one Carney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Disappointing but what can you do? There’s plenty of young talent there that want to play for us.

The AVTV channel seems to have upped their game a bit. Lot's of interviews and training videos from Australia and a nice little feature with the Ramseys as well.

Any further rumours? Where do we think the squad as it stands would finish?

• Advertisement

I know this might not be a very popular opinion but I think we'll still struggle for top half. Watkins will still fluff too many chances; our midfield will still give away cheap possession, and our defence will need to be transformed by Carlos or we'll still ship too many goals.

Advertisement