Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

Young with a beauty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Get in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭circadian

Lovely goal, fair play. Oldest goal scorer for Villa with that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Don’t see this finishing 11-a-side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Truly despise everything about Gerrard's Aston Villa.

Two poor sides you'd know are towards the bottom of the league.

Watkins has offered zilch, must of lost every 50:50 battle. Stupidly offside a few times.

Midfield doesn't gel as per usual. Buendia and Coutinho too lightweight and no pace.

Ya know what, I think they're wrong. Pretty sure Schmeichel was 38, it was 2001 he scored wasn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭Patser

Christ I miss Smith. I miss el Ghazi, I miss Trez - they mightn't have been great but they'd actually run. I miss Targett tearing down the wing too. I miss the Cash and Ramsey of 2 seasons ago, 100% effort and running themselves ragged, the same with McGinn....

Instead now we get slow pass to feet, 2 or 3 touches to slow it down, then pass to another's feet, then wonder why opposition are all back and organised, so pass back, pass back, then Young or Mings launch it for poor old Watkins to chase forlornly....

Is it that hard to create a diamond where Luiz feeds Coutinho/Buendia who then has McGinn and Ramsey tearing past him to offer options, Cash running wide, Watkins dragging defenders out of position, all at speed. Just show some urgency

I'm watching on sky so didn't hear that commentary but that link says Schmeichel is two months off 38, whereas Young has another 9 months before he's 38.

This is not a Premier League game..... everything feels like a League 1 exhibition match. Atmosphere, quality, tension....

It's dire

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

Our midfield is so shite.

McGinn and Watkins should be replaced by Sanson and Archer/Ings.

Absolutely putrid stuff.

I'd have Dendonker on for Ramsey, Luiz pushed up.....

Oh here's Dendonkcer on for McGinn, so hopefully Luiz up.

And now Archer too, just what I was hoping for. Let's hope it works

Utter dross. There’s no way we stay up if something doesn’t change.

Luiz still sitting back.... last man usually

Mings somehow the one offering width, Konsa the playmaker

• Advertisement

Forest lost the last 5 and conceded 18 in the process and look at the state of Villa.

Dendoncker has no mobility or pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Terrible stuff

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

This is an great point well won against two time European Champions. Away from home no less.

And there's one huge difference youth and enthusiasm bring. Archer gets ball, runs at defence, gets fouled but keeps going, suddenly there's space, causes all sorts of issues.

Either side of that Young and Luiz both separately throw hands up to ref, stop, lose all momentum, even if its a free they are in useless positions. Just awful to watch. The game is nothing but niggly little fouls, and looking to ref.

1-1. We need a change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Wow fixture list is terrible looking

Yes. Another great performance. Even was able to give McGinn and Coutinho a well deserved rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Wow, he hasn't a clue, the team haven't a clue.

I'm not one bit surprised by that really either.

You could tell the Villa players had more quality out there, it was like playing a championship team, they just didn't know how to break them down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭LeBash

That was a really tough watch. We are going to beat or draw with Chelsea and it buys Gerrard another 5 or 6 weeks.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. There is nothing to be excited about at Villa until the day he is gone.

Surely he cannot remain in seat after that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Absolutely, the whole front line got a rest as they were obviously informed to make as little movement as possible. One can only assume the intel on Forest was that their defender's are reptiles who can't see movement.

• Advertisement

He can and most likely will. Its been a club that has been addicted to mediocrity with Jack Grealish the only shining spark that took that away temporarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭pavb2

It was really just a continuation of how we played against Leeds but with less chances, its like watching football under Bruce.

plenty of supporters calling for Gerrard out at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭chases0102

Such dross.

The inevitable needs to be done now. If we can't beat a ten man Leeds and a Forest team who had lost 5 in a row how are we going to get any results with our fixture list coming up? And even outside of the results, our performances have been absolutely toothless, slow and worryingly lacking any drive or even effort. I agree with all that has been written above - Watkins' confidence completely gone, why not start Ings last night for example? And as for Coutinho, it's such weak management from SG who is clearly just indulging his friend at this point.

You'd obviously long for the feel good factor of the Smith era, despite how is ended. If only that 2 goal lead against Wolves was kept....

Watkins scored 16 in his first season. He hit the bar or post almost as many times. He looks nothing like the player he was under Smith.

Douglas Luiz has signed a new long term contract.

Obviously goods news from the club's POV but seems bizarre from his side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭pavb2

Yes, didn’t see that coming I thought he was nailed on to go to Arsenal in January

She's obviously good at what she does.

Delighted with that. Really think he has the potential to be a key midfielder for us, if played properly ie. given a bit more freedom to be creative when Kamara comes back

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Honestly I would not be surprised if this did play a part combined with Villa getting desperate and offering him a great deal.

it is good news though and the lad should have never been out of the team . It’s just a pity it took Kamara’s injury to get him in the side regularly. Think the two of them at the base of our midfield could have made us much more solid and allowed McGinn to play his Scotland role.

The quality of the sides that were interested show the quality the lad has when employed in the right role so hopefully we can see that going forward.

Obviously none of us want to lose tomorrow, but from a purely logical standpoint would a defeat that got Gerrard sacked be more beneficial in the long run than 3 points?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

I dont want us to lose as we will need every point we can get. But if we are going to lose, it might be best that we just get thumped 5-0.

Yeah, kinda like this. Like yourself, I’ll never watch a game wanting anything other than to win. And tomorrow will be no exception.

But I do believe that every week earlier that he leaves, will result in a higher points tally at the end of the year. If a point tomorrow got Gerrard an extra 2/3 weeks, that probably leads to a lower final points tally than if he goes tomorrow after a defeat.

Didn't think Bailey was back for today. Essentially 3 strikers starting is very optimistic imo.

A midfield 3 of Luiz, McGinn and Ramsey up against Chelsea is not something to look forward to. Gerrard has a blind spot about what constitutes a competitive balance in his team.

Buendia must be so pi$$ed off. Coutinho is finally benched, and he still doesnt get a start.

Ugh

Well that was much better apart from the scoreline. Much more like a Dean Smith display. A bit of width without Coutinho or Buendia makes a difference.

Not much you can do when you throw everything at them but can't score, meanwhile 2 of your key players mess up and gift them soft goals

The worst thing is Stevie G will be able to put this down to individual errors

• Advertisement

Lack of goals scored is absolutely alarming, nobody had scored twice in the league this season.

Advertisement