Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Hadnt realised that. Shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Not bad enough to get him the sack sadly

A long time since villa Park was so empty before final whistle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭pavb2

The first half was probably the best we’ve played all season we would have beaten Leeds and Forest if we’d played like that.

2nd half was very flat and once Chelsea had got their 2nd goal there was no way back even with 25 minutes left to play.

Chelsea’s game management was excellent once they’d gone ahead they were happy and confident enough to defend a one goal lead and not commit too much going forward, if it had been us we would have been at panic stations.

I think the board will give SG until after The Brentford game next Sunday but I think we need at least 4 points from that game and Fulham this Thursday

It was a bit of a free swing really as long as it wasn't a mauling via the scoreline.

I'm not sure the fight is in the side to go beat Fulham /Brentford.

I fear we are in real danger of going down.

Expect Rodgers to get sacked this week and Leicester to get a head start in acquiring a new man and the new manager bounce.

Maybe the interruption of the world cup will be our saving grace some how, bit similar to the unusual circumstances we stayed up in in 2020.

How easy must it be for sides to defend against us knowing there's no width, no pace, no danger man.

• Advertisement

Thinking ahead though if and when he goes who do we bring in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

If he’s still in charge in Fulham, there are people at the club who can’t be forgiven even afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭LeBash

He won't be getting the sack after that game. He should have been gone before the start of the season imo.

We should have kept El Ghazi and or Traore, for all the failings both scored goals. I liked Traore but couldn't stand El Ghazi but both offered way more than Coutinho along with some width (probably cost less than 50% between them per week as well).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Sono

Anyone on this thread have a season ticket? I need tickets to United at home and they are on sale to season ticket holders today, if anyone can possibly help please drop me a PM. Thanks.

Is it a case that he’s ditched the wingers and changed the system to accommodate Coutinho to try and play possession based football?

I think We’ve been far too narrow this season and too reliant on our fullbacks to get up the pitch and get crosses in. Bailey, Buendia & Ollie can all play on the wing and are arguably an upgrade on Trez an El Ghazi and let’s not forget SG blocked the transfer of Sarr from Watford.

• Advertisement

I hate this constant underlying implication from Gerrard that it’s the players fault. Like the soundbite on the news this morning is him saying that he’ll “continue to drive and motivate the players”. As if it’s their lack of drive and motivation that’s the problem. Not that they need to look at their systems and play with more width so they can find a way through defences

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭circadian

It's the Alex McLeish school of thought. When the team does good he's a genius, when the team does bad it's their fault.

In fairness to Gerrard, if the team are creating chances yet can't score, that's on the players. They need to shoulder responsibility for that.

I don't agree the manager should be making that public but there's only so much a manager can do.

I cannot stand Gerrard and want him out but he cannot be blamed for yesterday's errors that lead to the goals being conceded, nor can he be blamed for lads hitting the bar, missing 1:1s etc.

The players got Smith the sack through either under performance or not being good enough to begin with, and they have continued in the same vein for Gerrard 12 months in. Core of the side Mings, McGinn and Watkins are killing us through regular costly mistakes and little contribution.

How long must we continue with these poor players who reached their ceiling years ago playing with no crowds.

Yeah, I’m thoroughly uncomfortable with the prolonged goodbye. The conversation needs to stop being about how many points he needs to save his job, and instead who the best achievable appointment is, and when we can realistically get them. If that’s during the World Cup break, fine, but I don’t want to be hearing then how he kept his job because we beat United and Brighton in the last 2 games

It has to be 1 approach or the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭Patser

I wonder if we're one of the 2 clubs that approached Tuchel?

Pochettinno often mentioned as well, especially on Villa talk

Yes, we’re probably dreaming if we could get either of them but given the board’s stated ambitions that’s the level of manager we need.

To paraphrase Ferdinand:

‘Get the contract out, put it on the table. Let him sign it, let him write whatever numbers he wants to put on there’

Post edited by pavb2 on

Sounds like Potch, Emery and Tuchel are rumoured to be who the club would like, believe it when I see it.

I'd have no issues with us paying a huge amount for a world class manager.

We spend millions on crap players transfer fees and wages every window, why not invest in a decent manager who's impact at the club will be far greater than any one player.

No smoke without fire , hopefully he's gone this week

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Fulham, Brentford, Newcastle, Man Utd & Brighton before the world cup.

Fail to get a few wins in those games, in particular the next two and I could really see the club thinking that break would be the ideal time to get a new guy settled in.

In some ways I feel for Gerrard because he is trying to turn things around but is missing all his defensive signings (Carlos, Kamara & Digne) while the strikers seem to have forgotten how to strike but as much as we were banking on getting behind a long term project with big potential in him as manager you gotta think that any of the names mentioned would be a better bet especially with some investment (ideally a striker who can score). Poch would obviously be the most likely of the names linked too

• Advertisement

This managerial limbo does not do much at all for the enthusiasm for games. Heading over for Sunday and all.

Yes, I had a ticket for Fulham but decided not to go.

The atmosphere on Sunday will be determined by tonight’s result, I think the consensus from Villa fans is that SG should go and unless we win against Fulham and Brentford I think he’ll be gone by Monday.

The next game after these two is Newcastle away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭LeBash

Just got a message that he just got the bullet. Any news anywhere? Sounds mad not to give him tonight's game.

Bednarek starts.

Cash dropped to bench.

Konza at RB

Same 3 upfront.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Such a bad looking team.

And poor old Freddie Guilbert not even registered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Fulham being made to look like peak Barcelona for the first ten mins here…

Getting battered

• Advertisement

1-0 down from a corner, no one at edge of box....

They've had 3 chances from there but we learnt nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭basillarkin

depressing stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

When will the torture end.

Sacked in the morning please.

Lucky to be only a goal down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Where are the points going to come from? We’re so passive.

They're not coming from anywhere with Gerrard there. He is absolutely lost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Don’t let the door hit you on the way out Stevie

We've said it all before, pathetic .

No game plan beyond kick it long to corner and hope Bailey or Watkins can chase. Ramsey and McGinn just running around headlessly in midfield, ball just bypassing them.

Meantime we can't defend set pieces, we've a patched together back line, and Watkins looks complete disinterested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

It’s so depressing watching how all of these players have regressed under him.

World Cup break will be blessing this season

30 million for Bailey, what a joke

• Advertisement

Red card for Luiz, I don't see any head movement there.

That's a nonsense red.. Mitrovic initiates contact, charges into Luiz and then dives when Luiz moves back........ that's incredible

What the **** is that decision?!! Mitrovic comes charging in acting the hard man’s and then drops like a bag of shite as soon as he’s touched.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

This is Gerrard's last game.

Ah here. Smashed at him from a yard away 😂 Jesus Christ

Cash gives away harsh peno

When the tide is out it's out. Now an incredibly soft penalty for them....

And Martinez messes up easy save..

If he's gone in the morning it's worth it

Gerrard is useless.

Players are an absolute disgrace to the club too and they get away with murder. I hope when the new manager comes in he makes a big clear out because these players don't deserve to wear the shirt.

• Advertisement
Advertisement