Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I think Ings might actually suit that "Haaland" role if the others around him work. Seemingly not doing a whole lot, but getting the goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭Patser

Just thinking of result, Wolves and Leeds the new crisis clubs - at least we've suddenly seen a glimpse of light at end of tunnel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Just saw Watkins goal. He must have been like how in the fk is this not going in. Then finally bang.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

Great result. We had a lot more combative energy in midfield with Dendoncker and Luiz behind Buendia. The result was an ability to get at them that we haven't seen for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭LeBash

I wouldnt be upset about Danks getting the Newcastle game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭pavb2

Inexplicable that performance, everyone played their part Luiz pulled the strings in midfield and Dendoncker was really calm. So many good points The kick from Martinez up the pitch that led to our Penalty and Baileys run that led to Ollies goal. Ollie looks a different player out wide instead of leading the line up top trying to hold the ball and chasing lost causes.

we should start every game kicking towards the Holte End

Post edited by pavb2 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Great performances all over the field today. Luis and Dendocker gave us a really solid base. Young and Bailey linked really well. Thought Cash struggled a bit as the game went on. Not convinced he’s fit. Buendia was getting really stuck in. Delighted with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I don't think we'll get a manager before the world cup. Unless they are unemployed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

The best thing about a win like that is that it shows any potential manager what the players are capable of. Cant blame Poch for turning us down based on what he saw under Gerrard, but the squad will look a lot more appealing now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

That was an excellent game to go to, after feeling the most depressing thing when I thought Gerrard might stick around for it.

Danks simplified things and let the players play, and f*cking hell did they play. Buendia and Luiz the stars but everyone was good today really.

Wouldnt go anywhere near the notions of giving Danks the job beyond the WC, but a performance/result like that takes away the need to panic hire within the week. If we get our guy before Newcastle, great. If not, grand, no bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

That result and win takes the immediate pressure off needing to bring someone in ASAP

Suddenly we are not as desperate looking.

Took courage and balls to drop the captain and superstar and I'm very glad the decision paid off handsomely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭chases0102

What a result, exactly what was needed. Palpable sense of relief from players throughout those opening 20 minutes or so.

To a man, all played well. Young has been such a stabilising influence. Luiz excellent, as was Bailey.

Next few fixtures are difficult but hopefully team can gather some momentum. McGinn and Ramsey now need to prove themselves, brilliant position for them to be in for the team.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I'd say Gerrard is pissed off at that, he must be thinking "if only I'd have thought of playing players in their correct positions."

Yesterday The players seemed to rely on their instincts and natural ability. It seemed to be the case that playing at a higher tempo didn’t give the players time to overthink their decisions and make mistakes as they did when we were playing the slower possession based football.

Emery the strongest link ATM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭LeBash

We've got Newcastle (away and in form), Man U x 2 and Brighton (away) before the WC and then Spurs away then Liverpool after it. That's a disaster of a run of games especially with our record against Man U and in London.

Any manager in the know must be thinking they could be out of the before the window opens. The next 4 after that are all winnable games so I'd imagine some targets might be pragmatic about when they would look at taking the job.

The board may also think that more candidates may become available after the World Cup personally if the right manager was available I’d appoint sooner rather than later and use the World Cup as another pre season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭adaminho

We're in the same boat at Leeds. Do you wait for the world cup to finish up and hope to nab a good manager or get someone before and give them a month to work with the players?

If Emery is interested they should move now and give him plenty of time to get familiar with the squad. Seriously underrated manager among the English press.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Tier one guys saying offer made and he's considering his options.

He turned down Newcastle last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Perseverance The Second

I'm excited if this happens.

He'll have a point to prove after Arsenal.

6 of our last 8 managers have been British, why not give him a go.

His track record is impressive, he can relate to the standard of player we have, having worked with similar players.

Expecting more signings from La Liga if this happens and I hope it does.

Is Steve Bruce not available?

Deal is done , the club really doesn't mess around does it

Good ebening.

Brilliant news, no messing about. Huge upgrade on the last guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Emery is a really excellent get for ye. He might not be anything flashy but he lines up his teams really well and is tactically astute, he got a very raw deal at Arsenal. Is it 4 ELs he has now? That's no mean feat considering they all were with what would be not be considered "big" teams in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

That was really quick. He wouldn't have been my first choice but outside of Tuchel and Poch but it seems like a solid choice tbf!

I didn't realise he had 4 Europa Leagues...and one final defeat. Incredible record.

His win percentage at Arsenal was 55% , and only 2.4 % lower than Arteta at the moment

It will be interesting to see how it goes.

He’s a top coach who did far better at Arsenal than you’d think. Following Wenger, especially considering the mess he inherited, was a poisoned chalice. His record outside England speaks for itself.

• Advertisement

Well that was very fast. Must have been lined up.

No excuses for Villa now. He needs to be backed and given time and we’ll see where this club can go. We won’t get anyone better. Exciting times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Can’t be disappointed with that appointment. I’d kind of selfishly hoped we’d get someone of that same calibre, who plays attacking football, since we rarely seem to get that at Villa, but ultimately winning is what counts and Emery has a good record of doing that.

He won’t be there Saturday though; because of the work permit so it’s Danks getting one last go at it.

Previously manager SeVILLA and VILLAreal...... he has a type

If we win I hope all our German fans say Danke Danks

.....ok I'll stop now.......

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Hard not to be pleased with that signing. Just like in the transfer market the club don't mess about and arguably they have gotten the best guy they could here. After all the club want to be progressing towards being a club that regularly competes in Europe so why not sign the guy who has won the the Europa 4 times.

Some might say he is only moving for the money and there will be an element of truth in that but he did turn down Newcastle and imo he does have a point to prove in England after his spell at Arsenal, a spell which can only benefit Villa as now unlike then he has experience of the league and probably far improved English.

The players should respect him and he should be someone who can attract decent signings to the club too.

• Advertisement

Yes, he ticks all the boxes, PL experience, a definite upgrade on SG and a proven winner. Not sure what sort of football he plays but at least he has a system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭circadian

What a pleasant surprise! Massive upgrade on Stevie, that's for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

I think a squashed slug would qualify as an upgrade from Gerard.

It's nice to see that they managed to get someone decent, and in really good time. I was expecting this to draw out for a couple of months.

He agreed to join us last Friday going by reports , we must have sounded him out before Gerrard was sacked

Interesting video here:

Balague mentions and 'exciting' assistant manager, who is a European Cup winner (presumably as a player).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

I would have thought he'd take the guy that's been his assistant his whole career, Pablo Villanueva.

Neither fit the "exciting" bit.

Team unchanged. Very excited about this game. Not that i think we will get much out of it (a draw would be great). But its just that its a good test.

Need 2 Newcastle players to have an on pitch fight

Good game, few chances both sides. Villa playing well, Luiz especially.

But Martinez and Buendia have both been down with long injuries

Edit: Martinez gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭DBIreland

Martinez going off with concussion.

Penalty to Newcastle -- pretty stonewall handball by Young under new rules

1-0 down.... soft again to give away, and again we're missing our chances

H/T

1-0 down but very even game. Buendia is trying so hard, too hard to make things happen but just keeps losing it at key moments. Meanwhile Ings, Watkins and Bailey all doing well at finding space but then going quiet. Luiz, Mings, Konsa all good, Dendoncker only ok

• Advertisement
Advertisement