Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭Patser

2-0

How the f............ are you unmarked from 3 yards out from a corner. Bang smack centre of box, a big forward, completely unmarked. Atrocious

3-0 - more pathetic defending.

At least Emery knows what he's gettin into

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Smurts

4 now, complete collapse..

crossbar

Newcastle running riot, our lads look shattered, and want to go home and cry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

Cannot wait until many of these fragile cowards are gone from the club.

Imagine Gerrard is smirking thinking, last week was a once off freak event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Back down to earth with this one. The villa rollercoaster continues.

Rollercoasters normally have more then 1 up to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭circadian

His teams seem to be pretty solid defensively so there's that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

For 6 days I forgot we're ****. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭pavb2

Back to our default capitulation in the 2nd half but at least we have a plan and you would think Emery will learn a fair bit from that performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

I know the players capitulated yesterday and it’s easy to think that a wholesale clear out is required.

However Newcastle were in a worse state than us this time last year and fans were calling out the likes of Longstaff, Joelinton, Almiron and Willock among others as needing to go.

A good manager can make a huge difference so hopefully Emery is as good as advertised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

It was an unpleasant watch yesterday but I’m not overly concerned about it in terms of what is to come.

With the way Danks set the team up (Watkins, Ings, Bailey, Buendia all playing together), we were always going to have to take our early chances to avoid being destroyed by how open that leaves you away to a well coached and in form Newcastle team. We didn’t and got suitably destroyed. Once behind the substitution was never going to be Nakamba on for Bailey to stop the bleeding either, and Newcastle were very impressive in the 2nd half.

I can understand why Danks felt that he should go with the same 11 that did so well for him the week before, but I can’t help but feel that Emery would never have considered that lineup, nor would Danks if he was going to be in that role for much longer.

Im pretty confident that Emery will have this same bunch very competitive against United and Brighton (I don’t think we’ve the luxury of caring about the League Cup right now) in spite of the fact that there are obvious January recruitment needs that him and Lange are surely already looking at.

Neil Cutler has left the club.

Martinez had a great relationship with him, hopefully it doesn't have a negative effect on Martinez or the club.

Yeah, although I wouldn’t say Martinez has gone forward under him either. He’s gone from excellent in season 1 to very good since then if that makes sense?

• Advertisement

I would agree with that, he's regressed since that great first season he had.

Wonder does Emery fancy him?

Suppose if he gets the captain's armband that'll be a big hint.

I can’t see a world where we improve upon him. I genuinely thought he was the best keeper in the league that year. He hasn’t been that in the year and a half since, but he is still very good.

I would definitely give Martinez time. Almost every single player has regressed over the last 12 months. His confidence cant have been helped having that defence and (in particular) midfield in front of him.

He's definitely the last person I'd be looking to replace, however Villarreal had a really good defensive record under Emery so happy to trust his judgement in that area.

I admire the ruthlessness about getting rid of previous coaches and bringing in your own. Hope that continues into the playing staff too.

Many players are in for a massive shock and won't be able to comprehend what's asked of them under Emery.

Players we think will feature under Emery will be told they've no future and others we think are out the door will be in his plans.

Patience and backing are what the new manager needs most, particularly patience given how under-coached these players have been for several years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭pavb2

Yes, that’s why it’s important not too carried away I doubt we’ll see any consistent improvement until end of Feb at least. A good cup run and finish in top 15 will suffice this season.

• Advertisement

He will definitely want to make a few personnel changes. He will also have Martinez, Carlos, Luiz, Kamara and Buendia who I would like to think are 5 players that any manager coming into a club with our expectations would want. He will want to replace some of the others and bring in quality that suits his style and that is fine.

But one of the things you would expect from an elite coach also, is that he will get something from players that previous managers didn't get. This is the value of having an elite coach, rather than just the ability to replace players as necessary. You've a group of players there from Digne, Cash, Bednarek, Mings, Konsa, McGinn, Ramsey, Dendoncker, Coutinho, Bailey, Watkins, Ings (maybe even Chambers and Archer) who the jury is out on to varying degrees. Emery's remit needs to be improving about half of these into guys that can be effective starters within his system. At least while the process of signing 14 first team players that he likes better (probably thats about 3 years of summer and January windows) takes place. Gradual improvement is always a thing, but I'll definitely be disappointed if I hear a narrative later that a complete squad revamp is required, because it will mean Emery hasn't been able to get more from what he already has.

Bailey and Mings probably wondering what's all this coaching malark about.

We have lift off!!!

Great goal!!

Edit: Even since I transferred him out of fantasy, Bailey!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Goooood ebening.

2!!!!!!

Direct from a free!!!

Is this real life, or just fantasy!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Why isn't this on TV ffs. If anyone can help, PM me cheers

Bailey finally having fun and freedom in his role

Jammy deflected 2-1.....

Surely there was an offside in that build up, VAR didn't seem to look

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Aww feck, harsh on Ramsey but this 2nd half will show a lot about our lads now

I just do not understand offside rule and VAR anymore.

I get that linesmen are told keep flags down until play plays out, but earlier on a few minutes before their goal - Watkins just barely got his head to a cross to stop Ronaldo from scoring.... Now Ronaldo was well off, and if he'd scored it would have been VARed out, but because Watkins got head to ball they get corner??? So they get an advantage from being offside, but Watkins can hardly be expected to not try get to it as he doesn't know that.

Same for their goal. Cross comes in, UTD player well off, but defender clears to be sure, ball is cleared to Shaw who shoots and gets lucky. In olden days flag would have been up as soon as 1st cross was hit. It just doesn't make sense

• Advertisement

For the United goal, as I remember the offside United player was nowhere near the ball. That isn't going to be given as offside.

Get in!

Lovely just lovely

great setup by Watkins and Ramsey staking a claim for a starting place under Emery

All is good again!

Ramsey with a beaut, Watkins actually kept his head for once with assist

You know a Villa player would be sent off for either of those lashing outs by Utd players

Martinez very very lucky there clearly two elbows

McGinn for Bailey, shore up midfield and lets hope the start for McGinns redemption

Jaysus, get Dendoncker off, 2 atrocious decisions in defence

McGinn not in CM instead more advanced and coming on for that role instead of Coutinho is something I like.

• Advertisement

Kamara returns, Ings on too and Young (Digne, Buendia, and Watkins)

feel good factor- New manager, 2 goals up on Man Utd, Kamara back ahead of schedule and players playing like they have a point to prove/ need to earn their place.

Ings is not the right choice to bring on - we're sitting deep and looking to break but without Watkins and Buendia we've no pace up front now. Archer would have been better, Ings is just wondering around

Would also have liked to see proof of life evidence that Sanson exists and isn't just a mass Villa hallucination

And what is going on with Konsa - is he on a bet to score. That's twice he's decided to just go for a run into box - he was furthest forward there! Must be on a promise

Edit: now he's turning and playing past Ronaldo in defence... he's loving the high life

Sanson lives!!!!!

• Advertisement

Nice routine win.

Fantastic result.

Similar to the 1995 opening day win over them.

Up the villa.

Nice routine win.

So so many positives... can't get too ahead of ourselves as we were here after Brentford 4-0 only to get demolished at Newcastle but Newcastle are flying, we didn't have our new coach yet and consistency takes time but this was Man Utd and we did score 3 while they only scored cos of a deflection.

Our WBs are back, Kamara is back, we are back scoring goals, McGinn is back playing more advanced, Bailey is back to full fitness and flying...

Everything could be clicking just in time for Emery, given we will soon have a break for him to get his ideas drilled into the lads and a transfer window for him to make changes if need be.

It feels good to support Villa gain

Stevie who

• Advertisement
Advertisement