Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

City dropping points today.

Super stuff for us.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Ramsey and Moreno back starting after their injuries and Diaby back in the first 11. Hopefully these lads grab their opportunity with both hands.

The bench isn't as strong as usual today (with the suspensions of Luiz & Digne and Tielemans having a knock) but Bailey has been in great form recently and could make an impact if he comes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Moreno jasus that look terrible, no cut in the attack either, a different team away from home unfortunately

That Ramsey chance looked like it 100% was going to be a goal. He still looks a little rusty (overhit a one two with Moreno as well for example). Something like that goes in and it is a very different game as Brentford seem happy enough to sit deep (when Villa have the ball) and try to limit the chances for the likes of Watkins to get on the ball. Their goal is a real kick in the teeth and wass poor defending where you could just see Moreno (I think) waiting for the ball instead of attacking it and boom we are behind.

Need to get the likes of McGinn more involved. Cash and Moreno in particular were getting a lot of space at different times. There were also a few times where Cash has been on for a cross field ball but only once was it played by Torres and then he was almost in at the back out of nothing.

I'd say Villa looked the more likely to do something but still we are lucky to have Martinez between the sticks and the high line always has you worried.

disappointing to be 1-0 at half time but this is far from over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Ramsey has been very poor.

And Diaby gets more anoymous in every game. I don't know how people are calling him one of the best signings of the season.

Very little on the bench to change this today. Just Bailey and thats about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Yes I agree about Diaby he impressed early on but gone off the boil I think we need Bailey on sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

This isn't looking good at all. Brentford look very organised. Happy to sit back and let us try to break them down, we don't look likely to do that at the minute.

442 now with Bailey and Duran on. Not been impressed with him in a Villa shirt but I could also see Zaniolo for Ramsey at some point

Looks red that

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Ben Mee red card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

That has to be a red. Bailey is lucky not to have a leg even touching the ground or it was a broken leg.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Brentford can just sit back now.

Lovely assist by Bailey. Again making a difference although of course the red is too... now go for the win!

1-1 Moreno. Need to push for the win here with Arsenal 1 up.

Get in!

• Advertisement

Super finish from Moreno.

I almost feel for Brentford but this should be a win now

Watkins makes it 2-1

Yeehaaaawww

I wouldn't feel sorry for a team who are down to 10 because one of their players tried to injure a fellow pro.

Would it be too much to ask for Brighton to get a late equaliser?

• Advertisement

Nevermind, just gone 2-0 to Arsenal.

Nearly a big oopsie.

This is chaos.

Kamara red for throat push

Stupid from Kamara.

Silly by Kamara, but totally STUPID by Martinez. If he walks away from Maupay there nothing happens.

Stupid from Kamara.

You know something has gone wrong when Emery gets a yellow card

but the most important thing, another 3 points!

2nd, for now

Super result. Kamara will be a big miss for 3 games in the thick of Christmas.

Hopefully Man U can do us a favour.

Kamara is a miss but if he was to miss any games Sheff Utd & Burnley at home aren't the worst. The United game mid-week isn't ideal as some rotation might be needed. A Chance for Dendoncker to get some minutes off the bench again at least.

I'm still keeping realistic and thinking about 4th/5th for CL not a run at the title so it's almost hard to decide the result I want in the Pool/Utd game. If Pool beat them, I reckon we could get Ten Hag sacked

• Advertisement

I think a draw would be good for us! I really don't want Ten Hag sacked before we play them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Nah, c'mon, United win and Villa into second. The more points that can be gained on teams in the top 4 here the stronger the position later, United won't be pulling up trees any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Bizarre for what Mee and Kamara did to both be 3 game ban offences.

Hag isn't getting sacked win or lose today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Only 3rd on goal difference. What a time to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

A win on Friday to put us top and a draw between Liverpool and Arsenal has us top on Christmas Day. What a time to be a Villa fan. It looked as though Torres was limping when he went off so hopefully nothing serious. I'm hoping that we can cope with Sheffield Utd and Burnley without Kamara, but he'll be missed at Old Trafford on Stephen's Day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Is this all a dream?

Not wishing to be pessimistic but I am expecting a poor run of form at some stage thankfully it doesn’t look like happening just yet. Top 6 finish at the end of the season will be ok by me.

• Advertisement

History has thought Pav to feel that way... Unai has thought me there is another way. If our current form was just a blip then i'd be more worried but this is essentially how we have been doing since Gerrard was replaced. I too expect one or two poor results (the likes of Forest or what Brentford could have almost been) and everyone else's talk of a title challenge to dissipate but after this start to the season we really should be in the CL hunt (even if that includes fifth).

Injuries are going to be key. Everyone keeps mentioning if we lose Watkins and yes this is a prime example of what we are lacking squad wise to compete with the other CL level squads. If the likes of Spurs & Newcastle keep getting injuries and suspensions will also have a massive impact in making sure we stay ahead of the chasing pack.

I am very curious to see if we strike while the iron is hot (our rep has to be high across Europe right now) in terms of transfers this January as outside of Oscar Gloukh - 19yr old Israeli Red Bull Salzburg midfielder 12 caps/3goals - I've not really seen anyone linked that isn't a regurgitated link to last summer (like Nico Williams or less appealing Moise Kean) and the window opens in less than 2 weeks.

My worry is that the team start to believe and rather than spurring them on to win games, it makes them afraid to lose games.

Yes, true we haven't really had a blip since Emery took over, I'm enjoying where we are, just not buying into the PL winners 23/24 hype. All teams go through a poor run of form and I expect to see it at some stage. City, Arsenal and Liverpool are title contenders I think Utd will improve and Spurs and Newcastle are capable of top 4, Brighton top 6 but yes a CL spot for Villa would be some achievement.

So Brighton can be top 6.. but we can't because it's hype and just a run of Good form.

Bit of an oul... contradiction there horse

Look we all know it's going to end in tears.

Tears of joy as John McGinn lifts the Premier League trophy in May.

• Advertisement

Think you misread, the hype refers to us being PL winners not in achieving top 6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

The title and top 4 are wide open this year. Liverpool will struggle without Salah once he goes off to the Africa cup of nations, he has been on fire and the centre point of their success so far.

City have a small squad and losing DeBruyne and Rodrhi has had a massive impact. They are much more susceptible to injuries and suspensions affecting performances than most realise.

Arsenal look solid enough in defence and lot more composed and organised this year but they desperately need a striker and they'll probably get someone in January but it remains to be seen how effective that will be. I wouldn't be surprised to see Arteta falling out with some of the squad, he appears to be volatile.

Newcastle might make the push, Spurs are still a basket case and it'll take Ange a while to recruit and finesse his method.

United are pants. That squad shows very little effort and desire despite the apparent quality there. I don't think ten Hag is the problem, the culture within the club is toxic.

Will Villa win the league? Probably not, top 4 is looking like a very distinct possibility with only Newcastle showing the capacity to disrupt that. We definitely need a good backup keeper and experienced striker though. Depth elsewhere is decent but losing Watkins or Martinez will **** us.

Villa seem to be the only team in the league that relies on perfecting one system, which is a good thing. The squad can be chopped and changed because the tactics can also be chopped and changed.

People talk about Watkins getting injured being a blow (worth noting that the last time he missed any real time through injury was 2021), and obviously that would be the case, however he has scored 24% of Villa's goals, compared to Salah's 30%, Son's 28% at Spurs, Haaland's 35% at Man City. It seems that Arsenal are the only one of the top five not reliant on their striker.

Id be chuffed with the conference league and 6th. That would be solid progress and would allow us build good depth.

Cant see much in Jan. I think we are against the wall with FFP. Would like a Right Back if Emery doesn't like Cash. I think he's a good player but I don't want to see what is imho our best centre back played out at right back.

Haha, you can absolutely tell we are not used at all to being good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement