Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,671 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Why?

Under the new system, the rankings/pots positions make absolute sense to me. The best teams in the top pool, etc (granted the co-efficients won’t be totally accurate, but it’s the best we have).
    I don’t agree with the concept of the new Swiss system (or whatever they call it) as a similar system has made a complete balls of the European rugby pool stages, but we’ll see.

However, a key result of the change is that it’s much fairer for the lower seeds. Under the previous system, it was almost guaranteed (subject to the odd exception due to vagaries of draws) that a top seed gets an easier group than a 4th seed. Now it’s totally even, totally fair, no real advantage to being in any of the pools - everyone plays 2 from each pool. It’ll be interesting to see how it plays out.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I assume the system has been designed to suit the big boys.

new system is designed for more games = more money. Those with the biggest stadia I guess will benefit most cash wise, but for teams like Aston Villa, Girona, Bologna (ie good teams who have had few enough opps to get their co-efficient up so aren’t really 4th seeds talent wise) they are the ones who benefit most footballwise from the new system IMO. Easier to get into the top 24 of 36 rather than finishing top 2 in a group of 4 which could include two strong teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Pot 1 should remain domestic league winners and the CL winner, was the bulk of my criticism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭LeBash

There are those who believe it was changed as a peace offering to keep the super league from happening. More games and more big games in the group stage.

But why? Having a weaker team in Pot 1 would dilute the fairness. And being in Pot 2 does disadvantage those domestic league winners one iota.

I know the ‘Champions’ side of Champions League has been heavily diluted (we wouldn’t have a hope of being in if it wasn’t), but I still think there should be an advantage to having actually won your league, over being a team who hypothetically only finished 4th in your domestic league, but has done well in Europe in the past.

My personal preference for the numerous leagues with 4 teams in it, to have the team that finished first in pot 1, second in pot 2 etc.

• Advertisement

I think we’re going round in circles so I’ll leave it here, there is no advantage to being in pot 1 vs pot 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭circadian

Emery's son on the bench.

Palace are a sneaky bunch they play on the edge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Eze and Olise the difference. They’re creating great chances for Mateta. Ollie feeding on scraps. That said, 2-0 is very generous to Palace. It’s been pretty even which I was not expecting when I saw the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Losing 3-0, but we dont care!

Unload bench. Give the kids a run. Give Gauci his debut.

Awful stuff this.

• Advertisement

Not even amusing.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

We always seem to struggle with the physicality that Palace have. Needs to be addressed in the Summer. Too many lightweights in our squad.

Well we are linked with half their squad.

tbf you’d take a bunch of them. Apart from the obvious two, they’ve some gems in there. Andersen is class and Munoz is a steal.

I’d like to think Spurs are kicking themselves for not trying harder against City given the final table. But also, **** them. Up the Villa. Champions League here we go.

• Advertisement

Very glad that this was the first Villa game of the season that I haven’t been able to watch. I think there’d have been a very different outcome if a result was needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Season bookended by losing while conceding 5 goals in both games. Good thing it didn't reflect the season.

Hoping dangling the opportunity of Champions League football will make us attractive to a better level of player this summer.

We need a deep quality squad for next season

The good news is that not a single person is gonna look back at this season and remember either of those games very much really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

The contrast between the huge disappointment of matchday one, and the total indifference of matchday 38 is what I'll remember 😁

I don't think I'd want him back he was not at the races last time, what's the point.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/may/20/aston-villa-ross-barkley-luton

I couldn’t stand him in his last spell, but I’d be saying the same about Bailey if he’d left last summer. He’ll cost nothing and if Emery likes him, I like him. He did well at Luton too.

He showed flashes when he was with us during that Covid season, the odd game him and Grealish would run the show, but so many more games he was just a passenger.

However if it does happen I trust Emery to get the best out of him.

Yeah would be very dubious about Barkley tbh. He’s had a decent season and redeemed himself to an extent but he’s found his level. Big fish in a small pond suits his ego best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

my abiding memories of Barkley include watching him making half-hearted attempts to tackle and not chasing back. I know he played deeper for Luton but I’d have concerns if he forms part of the DM solution until Kamara is back.

Without doubt there is a player in there but his career has been a mess of since he left Everton in term of his potential talent. He has had a really good season at Luton and played most of the season without injury.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

As a squad player, maybe replacing Dendoncker who I am assuming will be sold, I would have no issue with Barkely who did well from that deeper role this year. Proper backup (maybe a loan) for Kamara (who will still miss the start of the season) in DM would be more important though and neither he / nor Gallagher (who has also been linked in the past day or so) are that imo and the type of player they are might not be needed imo if the likes of Ramsey, Kamara & Beundia come back and allow McGinn/Luiz not have to fill holes in midfield positions that aren't their own.

From links I believe we might be getting Hermoso from Ath Madrid and maybe Carlos might leave but I'd still be looking for a RB that is better than Cash (who I don't dislike and would be very happy with as a squad player) and proper competition for Watkin's in the form of someone like Jonathan David (contract in it's last year at Lille) plus the aforementioned backup at DM and maybe a first team LB if we are lucky as I could see them wanting to offload Digne's wages.

I would fear that for that to happen we would be likely to see the likes of Duran leave for sure and maybe even Ramsey (that one I don't want). You would imagine Hause & Chambers would be moved on. You would hope Coutinho could be jettisoned and Zaniolo's loan will almost certainly not be renewed. Would not be shocked to see Tim Iroegbunam sold with a buy back included too as if Emery thought he was ready he probably would have seen more game time with Kamara out. I'm still not 100% clear on if Archer is coming back but if he is I'd think we might look to sell him to another promoted club like last year.

IN: Hermoso, RB & LB, Jonathan David type, loan DM

Out: Diego Carlos, Lucas Digne, Dendoncker, Duran, Coutinho, Iroegbunam, Archer, Zaniolo, Hause, Chambers

It is never that simple of course

That El Kaabi lad at Olympiakos definitely has an eye for goal 😂

Duran is a player, I'd keep him.

On no planet would I ship Duran.

I would not want to ship him out but I could see him wanting more game-time and some clubs around Europe being willing to pay decent money for him because he is still so young (20).

We'd end up having to spend decent money to replace him.

McGinn’s post match interview did indicate that he might be a Balotelli type though. Hope he can get his head right.

Wonder if this is an preview of a longer series.

Yeah I feel the problem with Duran will be that the better he gets, the more disruptive he might get. I'd love to give him another year and see how he does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭Patser

Oh no, Coutinho wants to leave too.....we'll never push on

working to terminate 😂. Just go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭circadian

Pay me loads of money to **** off.

Football Insider (a lot of waffle in fairness) say the Barkley deal is done and will happen next week. It was also saying we have placed a bid for Arujro thats been rejected Barca want 68 million but they are broke and need to negotiate.

Read somewhere else that Dendoncker is being sent back (no surprise) but he's on 90k a week. More than Luiz, Ramsey and Buendia. SG signed up Carlos, Digne and Dendoncker all on absolutely crazy money, Kamara on over 100k per week, worth it and it was a free, so it was always going to be inflated.

With the Barkley deal (2 years with an option for a 3rd it seems) being reported as a free (although I am sure he will get a decent wage) it could be a very good deal for Villa if he comes in as a Dendoncker replacement. Dendoncker is reportedly on 90k a week while I see suggestions that Barkley was on less than half that at Luton.

Fabrizio Romano reporting that Vasco Da Gama are very confident they can get Coutinho. I'd say if Villa get any kind of fee and his wages off the wage bill it'll be done. 

You can definitely see the financially prudent improvements they seem to be trying to make:

Potentially:

Diego Carlos 100k p/w out > Mario Hermoso (Ath Madrid - CB - Free transfer) in

Lucas Digne 120k p/w out > Bradley Locko (linked to Villa & City - 22yr old Stade Brestois 29 LB in Ligue 1) in

Dendoncker 90k p/w out > Ross Barkely in

Coutinho 125k p/w

If you are lucky you get maybe 20m for all of them and also 435k p/w off the wage bill

Meanwhile I've seen (different figures but) Hermoso has been listed for around 70k so i'd imagine he would be looking to double that on a free move and get a signing on fee, so lets just say 2m 140k a week.

Barkley for Free but again maybe a 1m sign on fee and wages of around 70k a week (based on him being noted as being on around 30/35k a week at Luton)

Maybe Locko costs around 12m just cos City are also linked but he was only signed for 3m (inc previous loan fee) last year and is apparently on under 10k a week so lets bump that up to something like 40k initially.

Sold 20m / 435k - Bought 12m 250k p/w - Save 8m and 185k p/w

plus Hermoso and Barkley would be considered improvements on the outgoing players

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭Patser

The problem with Dendoncker, Carlos and Digne is finding a buyer, especially one that they will accept and match their wages. They all have years left, each one til 2026, they'll all be over 30 by then, Dendoncker the only one under 30 now and all on high wages.

Now I'm not saying they are washed up at 30, but it'll be harder to get a other clubs to put in big long term offers for them, and Dendoncker especially has failed to get established at Villa and Napoli this year - even as we had to piece together a shoe string squad at times. So hopefully we can unload them to free up money - although I like Digne - but it could be a big struggle

New 5 year deal for Emery.

Great news to start the summer! And i see his title has changed from Head Coach to Manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

not a villa fan, Leeds unfortunately…lol

But does anyone think 5 years is a bit much ? Obviously he has been brilliant but things change so quick in football, thought the 3 years left was perfect. I get that it shows commitment from both sides but reality is he could leave in a heartbeat if a club like Real came in or can get fired in a heartbeat if there is a bad run. Just curious that if it actually matters and it’s just a show of faith.

Not really no. He would have been given a target to hit on his original contract, he's hit that target early, now it's on to the next one and a new contract to show faith that he can do it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement