Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Nedeljkovic would have been ahead of KKH in the pecking order

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Agreed. I think it makes sense to for KKH to go out on loan. I just meant (almost separately to that I guess) that I think we still need an upgrade on Cash. Unless of course Emery sees Ned growing into that 1st choice role this season…which he might well do!

Absolutely, but can’t see them getting someone in unless they can get someone to pay Cash’s value. He isn’t the kind of bad where you will take pennies on the dollar just to be rid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Well apparently we looked much better last night. I wouldn't know though because the wonderful Villa website seems to have removed all video from the match. I also see that the Borussia Dortmund friendly is showing as geo-restricted and only available in the UK.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Well we've finally been linked to a very believable RB target today. Romano has Villa with Luthsharel Geertruida on our shortlist. Incase anyone doesn't know he is the starting RB for Dutch Eredivisie side Feyenord, just turned 24 a few weeks ago is valued at 32m by transfermarkt, has 11 Dutch caps (They have pretty tough competition at RB with Frimpong and Dumfries but he still went to the Euros), can also cover CB and DM and is over 6ft tall.

So he ticks a lot of boxes while also being gettable as he has not left Holland, we can offer CL football and much improved wages etc (I've seen different wages quoted online but always under 50k a week at PSV).

Post edited by Bounty Hunter on

Would still be surprised if he comes in, unless we can get market value for Cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Maybe they are buddies ha. Was just reading that reports friom Turkey have Monchi and Cenk Ergun having met in London to discuss Villa signing Baris Alper Yilmaz (linked to Arsenal, Newcastle and Wolves in the past day) who plays all across the frontline, mostly RW and LW but also CF.

I find Luthsharel Geertruida / Felix on loan to be more likely but yeah the likes of Cash or at the very least Carlos might have to leave for that to happen.

I would say Felix and Duran are largely interlinked.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I won't miss the Duran Duran puns.

Im not that confident we will get the chance to miss them. Growing anxious he won’t move on this window.

Interesting to read what Dirk Kuyt had to say about Geertruida earlier this summer when he was asked about him due to the Arne Slot link. Him being in his final year of his contract too makes me think there is a strong possibility with this one, plus i've read about how he can play in a back 3 which I would not be shocked to see Emery try at some point (especially if Carlos stays or is replaced by a signing).

At the very least a LB would need to be moved on and Kosta Nedeljković might need a loan move if Cash isn't sold. Plenty of links to the likes of A.C / Inter Milan at the start of the Summer but nothing really with regards Cash since.

———

"The level from Holland to England is at least two steps higher, so it’s not easy to make that move. So when you’re talking about Feyenoord players joining Arne at Liverpool, I think Lutsharel Geertruida is the one, really, who would be able to make that move.

“Lutsharel is someone I’d love to see playing in the Premier League. I really think he’d fit into English football. He has great stamina, he’s great on the ball, he’s physically strong... he’s capable of making the step up to the Premier League.

“I’m asked a lot about players who I think are good enough to step up to the level of Liverpool, or the Premier League in general, from Holland, and Lutsharel is definitely one of them.

"Hopefully he has the chance, one day, to play in the Premier League - and hopefully that’s in a Liverpool shirt.”

———

looks like it’ll be Geetruida to replace Carlos and you’d assume Konsa back to CB.

That’s a good shout, but you’d still need another CB. I don’t know how involved Feeney is going to be, or how able Mings will be to participate, but last year it was Konsa, Torres, Lenglet and Carlos and 2 of them heading out the door.

well the Dutch RB can also play CB and I’ve heard Bogarde has impressed over pre season and that they are offering him a new deal after not letting him go to Forest. Though I do understand your line of thinking.

• Advertisement

It sounds like Mings is close to being back…but I dont know what that means in reality. Could still be a while before he can feature in a PL game. I havent seen much of the friendlies, but by all accounts Lamare Bogarde has been very good for us. Not sure if we can trust him to be Carlos' replacement though.

So yeah, would agree that if Carlos leaves we should likely get a replacement.

Between all the options discussed above, hard to imagine any being sufficient if Konsa or Torres were to pick up a long term injury a week after the deadline passes.

Think a direct Carlos replacement will be required.

Cameron Archer to Bournemouth is being mentioned again due to them selling Solanke. Even if we don't sell Duran I would be hoping another forward comes in if he is sold. Obviously Felix is the most heavily linked but Semih Kilicsoy was linked again today. The report said that Fulham (14m) and then Villa (18m) had bids turned down by Besiktas for their young attacker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Feeney gone to Shrewsbury on a loan. Bogarde has looked very assured this pre season and might stick around for cover.

Yeah, you’d say he will be CB5, ie the Chambers role from last season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Can't tell if these friendlies are being played with little effort given the season ahead or if the team is worryingly nowhere near good enough.

starting to look like Carlos to Fulham is going to get done and I’d not be surprised to see Lutsharel happen quickly once that is finalized.

Apparently Atalanta are showing some interest in Cash. Never feel like Italian teams will offer big fees for players but if Lutsharel was signed I'd not be shocked if they sanctioned a Cash sale should a decent offer come in and perhaps then replace with a CB.

double post

two young lads being signed- Colombian defender and U-20 captain who will immediately be loaned out to the club in Spain that Unai Emery owns.

And this guy from City

meanwhile there is a lot of talk now that Archer might be off to somewhere like Union Berlin on loan.

and now Southampton are working on a permanent deal for him… wonder will a relegation buy back clause be included

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Away kit launched. Both jerseys are a bit meh for me.

would definitely prefer if we were to sign an attacker now though I’d guess if we don’t it'll probably be Rodger’s in a no.10 role.

one of our left backs should definitely be gone by the time the window shuts.

Also Gomez not in the Liverpool squad today because he’s assessing his options before a possible move and we were linked with him, but so were the likes of Newcastle.

I'd rather we just sell Moreno for whatever we can get for him now rather than loan him out. If the loan goes badly he will be worth almost nothing in a years time at 32 years of age

• Advertisement

Could be similar to the Archer situation. He was linked to a few loans in Europe then boom permanent deal to Southampton. Other clubs in Europe are interested in him so I'd not be shocked if he ends up leaving on a permanent deal but it might not be huge money given we signed him for 13m 1.5 years ago and he is 31 now. If we got10m for him and got him off the wage bill it would be a pretty good deal as despite me liking him we really don't need 3 LBs and he hasn't even been named in the squad today.

What a start for Villa and Onana!

On a side note I was sure Paqueta was banned

Name on the trophy.

Ouuu what a chance…

Thats a very soft penalty

So close to 2-0 from Bailey and (one or two other chances like McGinn's) couldn't feel comfortable while there was only a goal in it given the individual quality of some of West Ham's players including those they could bring on from their bench and then ugh what a very harsh penalty against Cash and now we go in level

Especially away it was a good first half and deserving of the lead but obviously disappointed not to be. Hard to blame anyone really but hopefully they don't let it affect them too much going into the 2nd half.

Could argue ours was was an easy goal / bad defending...which it was but Bailey did well to create the space for Onana and it is great to see him score on his debut while also adding a physical presence in midfield and both boxes for set pieces.

don't think Rodgers is a winger anymore really. He is a no.10 / playing between the lines now.

Yeah Rogers is no. 10/Central with McGinn on the left wing.

WWe have had a lot better chances than them. Bailey, McGinn and Rogers all had decent chances. Apart the penalty, I cant think of any clear chances they had. If we just keep going and not let than peno get to us, i think we have a good chance.

• Advertisement

Digne did pretty well first half but I'd still expect to see the likes of Maatsen and maybe Ramsey come on at some point.

You can almose be certain that Fulkrug will be on and cause more issues than Antonio had before the game is done.

Bailey and Rodgers have shown that of you run at the hammers they will leave gaps. Hopefully we will see more of that

Cash is such a bum

Despite thinking the last one was harsh I do worry about him potentially giving away another penalty.

There are only so many chances they can not pull the trigger on if we are still hoping to get 3pts here

Here's big Jhon.

Interesting to see Duran being brought on. Hopefully he thinks he has a point to prove

• Advertisement

Definitely could have scored more. 3pts in the bag. If Duran stays we have a quality young back up for Watkins / option from the bunch but if not he is justifying Villa demanding a big fee with not only his goal but how involved he got. Maatsen to Ramsey to Duran for the winning goal shows the increased squad depth with all coming off the bench.

Nedeljković coming on was nice to see too but Cash can worry me against top quality opposition like Kudus today. If we can bring in a new RB like the linked Lutsharel Geertruida I'd feel more confident.

I actually don't think Onana was amazing today but his physical presence could make a big difference maker.

Away win against a West Ham side full of new signings everyone has been bigging up can only be a positive. Obviously a serious upgrade on our first game last season

I know they gave Onana MOTM there, but I really thought Tielemans was sensational beside him.

Team could have let the game get away from them, after some shocking refereeing, but did not.

When he pointed to the ground as if to say "I'm staying here" did he mean Villa or London?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

delighted with the result and the performance. Lots of room to improve but a great start to the season. Fun times ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Never in doubt!!

I'm on holidays and I assume Artane is locked in the jacks somewhere!

• Advertisement
Advertisement