Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Good result, great defensive display with one big brain fart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Great result in the end, only a mistake stopped from getting the win. Defence looked really good, Mings and Hause outstanding. Leicester, for all their play, didn't create much clear cut.

Good to see the change of formation already making a positive impact, changing between them for different opponents could be vital. Hopefully can nail down a few more signings to increase the bit of quality needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Panrich

listermint wrote: »
    Ming's redemption?

MOTM sky sports.

I'd have given it to Nyland.

Nyland had a great game definitely. Could have been either.

Interesting too as it seems tonight from speculation that Reina signing is very close on loan with view to permanent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭basillarkin

dont need renia hopefully this convinced smith tonight, priority are 2 strikers and an attacking wide player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭LeBash

dont need renia hopefully this convinced smith tonight, priority are 2 strikers and an attacking wide player

I'd say we still need a keeper but maybe not a no 1. Sarkic is still very young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,655 ✭✭✭✭CSF

JPA wrote: »
    He has played once for Brazil. So has Wesley.

Its effectively his first season in English football despite signing from City. You would hope he's still adapting.

But he's been disappointing despite a couple of crackers.
    He actually looks really good most of the time recently, but then he goes and does something like that and you just can't defend him. Definitely one to keep around anyway because he looks like he is going to be quality as he gets older and develops some sense.

Would agree with this. If not signing Reina means another contributing outfield player can be signed, then it is a no-brainer. Even the lad who doesn't get a minute is the Croatian 2nd choice goalkeeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

Drinkwater and Reina can be done without, they are not priorities yet one has signed and the other looks to be coming.

Come on Dean, bring in what we need first, strikers and wingers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭circadian

Tactically seems to be completely off balance. Either defending like tonight or attacking and scoring and conceding, Smith needs to strike the balance between the two.

I agree with others here, more attacking players. The team have shown they defend well with 5at the back, thee just needs to be the finishing at the other end to compliment it.

• Advertisement

In fairness Nyland is one mistake away from some fans saying we need a keeper so I'm not against Reina coming in, especially with his experience. Signing one doesn't necessarily have any effect on signing other players, which I'm sure will happen.

I'd count a midfielder, Drinkwater and possibly more, as a reasonable priority too with McGinn's injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,137 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Corholio wrote: »
    In fairness Nyland is one mistake away from some fans saying we need a keeper so I'm not against Reina coming in. Signing one doesn't necessarily have any effect on signing other players, which I'm sure will happen.

I'd count a midfielder, Drinkwater and possibly more, as a reasonable priority too with McGinn's injury.

All keepers make mistakes.

It's what they do the rest of the time that makes it.

He has been very strong stopping, positionally, coming out and confidence everytime I've seen him the last few months. His distribution needs work. Should go to cluxton college

But I'd agree with the we don't really need Reina line of thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Panrich

I'd be looking for a left back as well. Targett seems to be a sicknote and Taylor is a liability going forward and can't get back quick enough either.

listermint wrote: »
    All keepers make mistakes.

It's what they do the rest of the time that makes it.

He has been very strong stopping, positionally, coming out and confidence everytime I've seen him the last few months. His distribution needs work. Should go to cluxton college

But I'd agree with the we don't really need Reina line of thinking

Nothing but praise for Nyland as well but you and I know one or two mistakes and he'd be under pressure from fans etc, including on here, especially when he has had previous rough patches. I personally think Reina's experience will be a help, especially with Heaton's presence there missed. If Nyland got injured or lost form, there'd be criticism of not signing a keeper too.

Panrich wrote: »
    I'd be looking for a left back as well. Targett seems to be a sicknote and Taylor is a liability going forward and can't get back quick enough either.

I don't think that'll happen this window, bigger priorities is on the wing and striker x2.

Taylor hasn't scored in over 230 games of club football, his crossing is even shocking. Real championship level player.

Nothing but praise for Nyland as well but you and I know one or two mistakes and he'd be under pressure from fans etc, including on here, especially when he has had previous rough patches. I personally think Reina's experience will be a help, especially with Heaton's presence there missed. If Nyland got injured or lost form, there'd be criticism of not signing a keeper too.

When is Steer back?

Is Kalinic fit?

I presume Kalinic leaves if Reina comes in.

Marvellous reminds me of Yacouba Sylla, not sure I see a player there at all.

Esse85 wrote: »
    When is Steer back?

Is Kalinic fit?

I presume Kalinic leaves if Reina comes in.

Steer out for the season, Kalinic is gonzo soon. Villa have made it public that they told his agent to find somewhere.

LeBash wrote: »
    Steer out for the season, Kalinic is gonzo soon. Villa have made it public that they told his agent to find somewhere.

Fair enough, I thought steer was back later this month.

Kalinic has to be up there with Balaban on complete and utter waste of money. Similar price tag too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Fair enough, I thought steer was back later this month.

Kalinic has to be up there with Balaban on complete and utter waste of money. Similar price tag too.

Different eras. 6 mill is the new 1 mill but I agree with the sentiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭pavb2

I think we’d have all taken a draw last night but their goal had an inevitability about it, the frustration is the way we handed it to them. The next leg is finely balanced and I don’t think it matters who we face in the final should we get there. Getting to the final of a domestic trophy is an achievement in itself and might add some momentum to the somewhat stalled feel good factor

A few places reporting Kodjia is on his way to Forest. A lot of negative opinion about him on Twitter. I thought he was super until the broken ankle and was coming back to form when he got his second injury. No doubt he is lazy but he scored some unbelievable goals.

Giroud is also supposed to be going to Inter Milan in the next couple of days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

A few places reporting Kodjia is on his way to Forest. A lot of negative opinion about him on Twitter. I thought he was super until the broken ankle and was coming back to form when he got his second injury. No doubt he is lazy but he scored some unbelievable goals.

If he got his head up and passed the ball sometimes he'd be a good player.

I'd carry Kodjia there myself, good riddance.

Talented lad but his attitude is up there with the worst I’ve seen. Would have fit right into that relegation team.

• Advertisement

Pound for pound in the transfers done in the Championship and the team that went down he has been very good money for output at Villa in comparison.

Richard's, Bennet, Zog, Ayew, Rudy, Lescott, Gollini, McCormack, Veretout, Elphick, Okore, Tish, Bacuna, Bree, Thor, De Laet. There are probably a dozen more.

That's before mentioning some of the wasters we had on loan like Bolasie, Onomah, keeper from Athletico plus more I'm sure.

Kodjia got 29 goals in 90 games, 2 bad injuries ruined the super form he was in. Yeah hes lazy and greedy (he always has been) but we got a lot of points on the table with some of the super goals he scored from solo efforts.

The only signings in the Championship that were better would have been Chester, Terry, McGinn, Houirhane, (I'd say Whelan but I know not many here think much of him).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Heard something random today from a mate, would love it tbh but doubt there is any validity in it.

Batigol (Gabriel Barbosa) to Villa on an initial loan from Inter Milan. He was the first person to be dubbed the next Neymar but only played 9 games for Inter after they spent 30m to bring him in when he was still 19iirc (think he turned 20 very shortly afterwards though. Now 23 he has spent most of the past few years back in Brazil with former club Santos & this past year with Famengo where he scored 25 goals in 29 games.

He apparently has no future at Inter. West Ham were supposed to be negotiating to bring him to England but that was pre-christmas and is dead now and his agent is still claiming he is talking to teams in Europe including in England since the breakdown in those discussions.

Again I don't believe it but would love if thats why a story about Piantek to Villa was about and the club actually denied it -because they were discussing with the other Milan team and everyone knows Villa need a striker. The initial loan part might make sense for us with FFP and with Inter wanting him anymore they might accept that. We have a few Brazillians that could help him settle, 1 who could even partner him upfront in the future.

....Again it's def bull :pac:

Eddie Nketiah also being linked (and by also I mean anywhere I can actually see online :D ), who I would not mind as backup because he is highly rated but we would need more than the guy Leeds were not playing enough to keep arSenal happy if we want to stay in the premiership.

Also reports claim Pepe Reina has agreed to come to Villa but Mian won't let him go until they sign a replacement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Tosun to Palace, I've decided that means Benteke is coming back and that he's going to be amazing.

Tosun to Palace, I've decided that means Benteke is coming back and that he's going to be amazing.

Would absolutely take him as a 2nd choice striker. The Kodjia replacement.

Wickham going out on loan to Championship so Tosun brought in to replace him apparently. Not sure Palace would let Benteke go without another in. I'd take him though, he's not going to be the same Benteke we knew but I think he could be still a threat, if no other striker targets are forthcoming.

• Advertisement

Take benteke lads wtf. Take yer tablets more like.

If Benteke was the second striker and signed instead of Kodjia, I'd take that, he's only turned 29 last month, he'd be a handful in the air for the last 15-20 mins.

But we need that starting striker more than anything.

Have to remember that January is not the greatest window to be signing targets, along with the fact clubs know Villa have lost their main striker for months. Of course that's what people are paid for etc etc, but it's certainly not an ideal situation. I think the days after the City game you'll see some movement.

Have to remember that January is not the greatest window to be signing targets, along with the fact clubs know Villa have lost their main striker for months. Of course that's what people are paid for etc etc, but it's certainly not an ideal situation. I think the days after the City game you'll see some movement.

Doesnt really make a huge difference. If we lost a player on a bosman or hadn't got a striker, the clubs we are talking to know it. Suppose the best place to look is at guys with 6 or 18 months left on a contract. When you're stuck the selling club will always stick the boot in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Bentekke my arse , jasus lads hes not the player that we remember

Percy reporting that Reina deal is done. Medical early next week.

Its ok sky sports as done

Hammers lose. Very much in the relagation battle

Ashley Preece of Birm. Mail has mentioned he's heard Kemar Roofe is a name he's heard linked. Plays with Anderlecht now, ex Leeds.

On the Reina deal, I think it's better to bring in someone like him. Nyland was nearly 4th choice not long ago. I hope he keeps up his recent form but there was nothing previous to go on that he would, hence the Reina signing imo.

Hammers lose. Very much in the relagation battle

They were robbed, shocking rules that led to VAR disallowing a last minute equaliser due to handball.

• Advertisement

They were robbed, shocking rules that led to VAR disallowing a last minute equaliser due to handball.

Overall they deserved little from the game. They were very very poor.

Overall they deserved little from the game. They were very very poor.

Yeah they were crap, Haller up top doing nothing.
    I'm glad they got Moyes in charge as I don't rate him anymore.

Benteke didnt makebthe bench today. Might be a sign hes coming back.

Norwich are doomed so 2 spots left and really could be anybody

Benteke didnt makebthe bench today. Might be a sign hes coming back.

Hope not

Slimani being linked now. 6 goals and 7 assists at Monaco but apparently hes a bit upset with having to play on the wing and being on the bench a few games.

Those tame defeats against Southampton and Watford maybe look a little less drastic in the context of their current form.

Need a point minimum today to avoid finishing the weekend in the relegation zone.

We may be missing a few but that still looks an awful choice of lineup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Drinkwater straight into first eleven. City playing Aguero and Jesus. I’ll be honest lads, I’m nervous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,136 ✭✭✭Patser

That is a fecking terrible selection

Taylor and Elmo start.

Hourihane, Drinkwater, Luiz, el Ghazi and Grealish - who's even going to attack - El Ghazi playing as a drifting forward? Grealish expected to do it all alone? Hourihane with a set piece.

We're already begging for a draw.

Advertisement