Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

How did Watkins do toady? Didn't see the game.

He did ok. He did very well in the tussle that led to Egan getting red. Very good strength to ensure that Egan had to hang out of him to slow him down.

There wasn’t much space available in their box after the sending off so he didn’t really get a lot of touches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

How did Watkins do toady? Didn't see the game.

He wasn't used to his strengths, had lots of long balls aimed at him, heading is not his strongest attribute yet watching the match you'd think why do the team continue to aim for his head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

He nearly curled one into the far corner as well, just a little too high.
    I’m just worried his service is going to be very limited. Hopefully Traore adds creativity.

Cash whipped in a few nice balls last night and looked good and obviously Martinez was great. On the whole all of them look significant upgrades on last year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Newest link is to Ismael Sarr from Watford. They say that Liverpool had agreed a fee between 30 and 36m but that Villa are happy to match that and can offer first team football where as Sarr knows he would be on the bench at Liverpool.

I don't think this will happen for Villa especially as his preferred position is exactly where Traore plays but that is more the kind of player I would like to see linked and who knows maybe after signing Jota something might have happened in terms of the fee pool are willing to pay / how much game time they can offer (even though they occupy opposing wings).

I still think the protracted move for Rashica will happen and then one more most likely another CF like King from the links. If Samatta is sold they have to get someone else in and he has probably been the strongest of the links, and unlike say Celtic who don't want to sell (plus I don't see us breaking our record on another CF when we only play one and just did so on one) Bournemouth have openly said he can go for th right money. I guess from how much we are linked with him Rico Henry wouldn't be a shock but I'm not expecting that one as well this window.

That said if Liverpool did sign Sarr as well as Jota and struggled to offload some of their backup, Origi etc maybe a cheeky loan bid on deadline day for the likes of Shaqiri wouldn't go amiss too. Yeah he only played 11 games (just means he is surplus to requirements and they would probably be happy to offload his wages) for Pool last year but he's still only 28 and can play all AM positions and imo I'd much prefer him coming off the bench than most of our sub options of the sort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Esse85 wrote: »
    He wasn't used to his strengths, had lots of long balls aimed at him, heading is not his strongest attribute yet watching the match you'd think why do the team continue to aim for his head.

For the same reason we tried through balls to Gestede, high balls with Gabby and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Davis contract extension until 2024.

That should divide opinion amongst villa fans!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Davis signs 3 year contract. Delighted for him. Big season ahead either as back up for Watkins or championship loan.

Davis contract extension until 2024.

That should divide opinion amongst villa fans!

Hopefully it doesn't. I don't think he is good enough for Premiership football atm but see his potential and think he is worthy of an extension. For me I hope he gets a loan elsewhere as he needs first team football at a level were he can maybe develop his goal scoring ability plus if he gets that loan it means we don't need him with our first team squad so you would hope we have brought in better back up.

Easy Rod wrote: »
    Davis signs 3 year contract. Delighted for him. Big season ahead either as back up for Watkins or championship loan.

Backup for Watkins should not even be considered an option. He should be sent out on loan as soon as Samatta clears off and a replacement is signed. He cannot remain at VP this season for his own growth and development, he needs to get away and get first team action and discover where the net is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Davis is so poor, maybe a loan move will help but I doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Davis has pictures of Smith's micropenis on his phone I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

A loan move would do Davis good, I think he will too before the end of the window. At least it's a young player with possible potential, at Villa or otherwise, tied down rather than let go which a lot complained about.

I like Davis, I wish he had developed that scoring instinct before now though. Would still like to see him week in week out playing somewhere though, that can be the making of a young player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Thing is, with Wesley now out til New Year, and no striker being linked - do we want to end up with Samatta as only back up. Davis at least adds size as an alternative up front to Watkins speed, Samatta has yet to show much of anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

I think Davis has potential. He is good at holding the ball up.

I think he would would do so much better in a 442 where he had a strike partner. Reminds me a little of Heskey

Being so far isolated from everyone else as he was for most of the games he has played hasn't really helped him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Don't forget Traore can play the striker role also.

Has anyone seen the compilation videos of him tripping over his own legs comedy gold hope it isn't a sign of things to come

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

CucaFace wrote: »
    I think Davis has potential. He is good at holding the ball up.

I think he would would do so much better in a 442 where he had a strike partner. Reminds me a little of Heskey

Being so far isolated from everyone else as he was for most of the games he has played hasn't really helped him.

I remember when Heskey came on the scene, he frightened the life out of defenders with his speed and strength...but was a decent finisher as well.

Granted, Davis has been involved in a struggling team. But nothing about him screams top class footballer to me. Would be happy to be proved wrong!

So according to some click bate Samatta's father says he's not going anywhere

Samatta already in Turkey it seems, about to complete a loan to buy deal with Fenerbahce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Corholio wrote:
    Samatta already in Turkey it seems, about to complete a loan to buy deal with Fenerbahce.

Tweeted an emoji of a plane earlier also

Interested in Barkley or Loftus-Cheek on loan according to Percy. Either would be a good signing imo, a position that needs better competition certainly.

https://twitter.com/JPercyTelegraph/status/1308881719743873024?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Would much prefer Loftus Cheek. I don’t like Barkley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

CSF wrote: »
    Would much prefer Loftus Cheek. I don’t like Barkley.

Both seem to get injured alot, RLC more than Barkley. Both very talented, RLC has been stunted with injuries, Barkley has stunted himself.

Barkley and Grealish playing together would suit each other great imo, also playing with Watkins pace up front. Both Barkley and RLC are physically strong and move the ball quick because they are technically very good, this is something that frustrates me about Villa midfield at times, space and chances lost due to it being a bit slow at times.

Id be so delighted if we got Barkely.

Honestly our side is being hugely hampered by the fact our CM is very weak bar Luiz and his arrival would increase the potential of this whole side hugely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Barkley would be a brilliant addition, him McGinn and Luiz for two spots would be great depth, it'd be McGinn missing out for me.

Barkley would be a brilliant addition, him McGinn and Luiz for two spots would be great depth, it'd be McGinn missing out for me.

Surely he takes Conor's place? Unless you are thinking of a future with Grealish as No 10?

Would be delighted with Barkley if there's an option to buy.
    He could be a very good addition and give JM the kick up the hole he needs.

Hopefully Rashica and striker to follow.

If Samatta goes, which seems likely, will Davis still head out on loan? Assuming we get a replacement striker in.

Is tonight’s match being shown on any channel? English or otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Radiant Cool Crazy Nightmare

Easy Rod wrote: »
    Is tonight’s match being shown on any channel? English or otherwise.

Had a look and it's being streamed

https://carabaocup.live/

Costs £10 for the game. Have never used this service, will he hoping to catch a stream myself

• Advertisement

Had a look and it's being streamed

https://carabaocup.live/

Costs £10 for the game. Have never used this service, will he hoping to catch a stream myself
    Pricey enough but will probably pay it. Sticking €2 on Davis first goal scorer will cover my costs!!

JPA wrote: »
    Surely he takes Conor's place? Unless you are thinking of a future with Grealish as No 10?

Yeah that's what I'd be hoping for, Grealish as a 10 when we sign Rashica if Grealish hasn't retired by the time that happens

Whats the line up tonight??? Elmo and Guilbert in the same starting 11?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Weak looking team , but theres lots of games in a short period so to be expected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

AEG trying to prove something.

That's some goal from Traore! 2-0.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

0-2 already, Traore scores on his debut.

AEG trying to prove something.

AEG and Traore score, 2 nil.

traore goal , cross or shot i wonder?

Great set up by davis for first goal

Just seen the 2 goals on SSN. Good work by Davis for the first and what an absolute dinger by Traore.

sc86 wrote: »
    traore goal , cross or shot i wonder?

Great set up by davis for first goal

Looked 100% like he meant it!

• Advertisement

JPA wrote: »
    Looked 100% like he meant it!

I don’t think so. When he celebrates with Lansbury it looks like he’s saying that was meant as a pass to you! He’s looked very bright though.

0-3 Watkins

Ramsey has been excellent, he does look a player.

Villa could, should be 6 or 7 up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Any links to goals.

listermint wrote: »
    Any links to goals.

Skys "score Centre" app.

Corholio wrote: »
    Ramsey has been excellent, he does look a player.

Villa could, should be 6 or 7 up.

He really does. He is good on the ball and really works hard also at closing the opposition down.

Sammatta deal done , hopefully his followers on social media will follow suit.
    To say they are not happy with villa is understatement .
    I am a little surprised they didnt give him more time , but that would lead me to believe they could see he wasnt good enough.

Got out of dodge on that one, needed to take a punt at the time and it didn't work but have recouped our money rather than him languishing for the next few years.

Was expecting him to be loaned out so seeing Fenerbache announce they have him for 4 years and Brian above say we recouped our money... not bad. Thought it could work out at first but as time went on he looked less and less up to it. Ante Budimir from Mallorca seems to be the current CF linked to replace him as backup striker.

Seems we have walked away from contract negotiations with Rashica for now. Don't blame them looking at alternatives given how that transfer has dragged. Wonder is Benrahma completely dead? They don't play on the same wing usually but as soon as the Rashica talk started dying down was when the Sarr mentions picked up and now West Brom and Palace are sniffing around him too. To me that would suggest that Liverpools interest did indeed end when they signed Jota

Would be happy with either of the Chelsea lads on loan as we definitely need quality competition up front. I like Hourihane but would be happy if he wasn't starting again. You would hope JT would give us an edge on others interested in those lads with Lampard... plus they owe us after drinkwater :pac:

Linked in the past month:
    GK Henderson/Romero (Man Utd), Jasper Cillessen (Valencia), Emiliano Martinez (Arsenal)
    RB: Max Aarons (Norwich), kieran Trippier (At.Madrid), Matty Cash (Notts Forest), Diego Dalot (Man Utd)
    LB: Rico Henry (Brentford) Danny Rose (spurs)
    CB: Omar Colley (Sampdoria)
    CM: Weston McKinnie (Schalke), Philip Billing (Bournemouth), Marko Grujic (Liverpool) John Swift (Reading), Conor Gallagher (Chelsea), Rueben Loftus Cheek (Chelsea Loan), Ross Barkely (Chelsea loan)
    RM: Emi Buendia (Norwich), Todd Cantwell (Norwich), Florian Thauvin (Marseille) Bertrand Traore (Lyon) Ismael Sarr (Watford)
    LW: Said Benrahma (Brentford), Milot Rashica (Werder Bremen), Grady Diangana (West Ham), Ryan Sessegnon loan (Spurs)
    AM: Eberechi Eze
    CF: Odsonne Edouard (Celtic), Ollie Watkins (Brentford), Callum Wilson (Bournemouth), Divock Origi & Rhian Brewster loan (Liverpool), Gonzalo Higuain (Juventus), Cavani (Free), Tammy Abrahams (Chelsea) Moussa Marega (Porto), Fabio Borini (Free) Michy Batshuayi (Chelsea) Paulinho (Braga) Ante Budimir (Mallorca)

Left winger is so important, hope we've someone suitable in mind for when/if Rashica doesn't happen. If we can get to the stage where we've 2 threats on the wings and allow Grealish move to the 10 we've got the makings of an attack that anyone outside of the top teams would be happy with.

• Advertisement
Advertisement