Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭AVFC.Stephen

Esse85 wrote: »
    I'm watching on beIN sports 3

What do ya think so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Quiet game so far. Ramsey already looking lively in and around the box though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

What do ya think so far

Stoke have been the better side so far and looked more likely to score.

I don't like the body language of Traore, there's a real lazy individual type about him. The type we would of signed under Di Matteo.

Stoke 1 up.

Way, way too early to be judging Traore imo. Looks to have a fair bit of pace about him though, haven't got much ball to him. Lansbury looks a player who is getting worse all the time, needs a move out.

I don't like the body language of Traore, there's a real lazy individual type about him. The type we would of signed under Di Matteo.

Havent seen enough to judge but our game play is awful. Playing out from the back and cant get past the half way line....

0-1

Terrible miss from Lansbury, should be 1-1.

Free header. Harder to put wide than hit the target

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Awful miss Lansbury, free header with time to see it and set...... complete fluff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

That head from Lansbury. Dire....

• Advertisement

Ahhh Davis, c'mon I'm hyping you up

Davis should score there, although a bit of a stretch to get it from the replays.

Patser wrote: »
    Ahhh Davis, c'mon I'm hyping you up

I'm so patient with him but he never turns up...

Scrappy half, Villa never really got going. Too many reckless passes amongst the midfield really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Shockingly poor in possession.

Hause, El Ghazi and Lansbury especially.

El Ghazi should be nowhere near a PL squad.

Only positive is Ramsey looks a real player. Pity he is surrounded my total muck as in a team that could dominate and get him on the ball more he would be a very dangerous player.

Corholio wrote: »
    Scrappy half, Villa never really got going. Too many reckless passes amongst the midfield really.

Lansbury has the been the worst culprit for this. Get him off at half time and try to sell him and get him off the wage bill. Total waste of space and money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

CucaFace wrote: »
    Shockingly poor in possession.

Hause, El Ghazi and Lansbury especially.

El Ghazi should be nowhere near a PL squad.

Only positive is Ramsey looks a real player. Pity he is surrounded my total muck as in a team that could dominate and get him on the ball more he would be a very dangerous player.

El Ghazi seems to be the only attacker we have who wants to try something. He's trying to make runs and get into space. And he put in a cross that Davis should have buried.

Traore looks disinterested, Davis always has his back to goal and doesn't look to make space or attack the stoke defense.

Yes i would agree with you. Looks good in possession but a liability when we don't have the ball.

When Taylor is our best player on the pitch, you know we're in trouble.

I really hoped Guilbert and Traore would tear their left side apart but have been anonymous.

Hause trying to pass out is disasterous.

Nakamba is nowhere - he's not getting across to help as they break on the wings, or getting into box to help defend - just watching to game go by.

El Ghazi is selfish, and poor at it.

Ramsey is lively, and youg so gets a bit of a pass on this - but between him, Nakamba and worst of all Lansbury they are exerting no influence on midfield.

Davis, is Davis, great at lay offs, good at holding up ball and holding off defenders - couldn't score in a brothel.

Taylor surprisingly is doing his absolute best to get forward and create, as well as defending ok

Traore has tracked back a fair bit, don't get the liability stuff. He has got into good wide positions and players have given away the ball recklessly trying to get it forward and he's obviously going to be behind the play then.

Tbh I think we look quite attacking and relatively good in possession. I'm comparing to same time last season.

I can see some goals from us this half.

• Advertisement

I am judging Traore extremely quickly, but he came on for the last 10 mins in the last round and casually trotted back to help the RB so not like he was tired.

I've watched the first half and again he doesn't show much desire to get back and help out his RB, I know Trez is less talented but I could never accuse him of being lazy or questioning his attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Playing ****e?

Played too much like a team that thought this would be easy, and we'd equalise at some point. Only now waking up to fact times running out and they bloody need to do something, but Stoke are organised and we've no Grealish on to unlock them - so huffing and puffing now, going nowhere

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Going by Fulham tonight as well I don't think we can read too mush into last weekend also.

It didn't suit us, I say it didn't suit us

We are just woeful tonight.

The first 11 this season has been improved thats for sure.

But our squad in general is very poor and when any injuries arise we will struggle again this season.

Most who played tonight are mid table championship level players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Solid chance to win a cup gave up very easy , shows how poor our second 11 is

Soooooo

2nd string ain't as good as we thought, in fact very poor. Maybe the depth isn't there. Who could challenge 1st team from that - Traore hopefully will pick it up but .....

Edit: I'll give Steer a pass too, he pulled off 1 good save, and beyond goal was untroubled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

This was somewhat similar to the Sheffield United game. We lacked pace in our passing and that bit of creativity to break up a well organized defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Typical Michael O'Neil win.

Please!!! Please!!! Please!!! Let that be the last time I ever see El Ghazi in a Villa jersey. There's still time to off load him.

I thought Jota did look good when he came on and the other positive was i slept though the first 60 mins of that game quite contently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

I didn't pay to watch that but it was disappointing to hear reports of huffing and puffing without any end product. Did I hear that Stoke were playing a second team also (8 changes) so that means their reserves just beat ours. Not good for strength in depth if needed.

Ah lads, last week was a good, impressive away win against Fulham, we were drawing/losing that game last season. Fulham had loads of changes tonight too.

Tonight was disappointing, no cohesiveness there at all, 11 changes definitely looked like 11 changes. A good few there not good enough but might struggle to move them on. Lansbury and Nakamba trying to create is about as blunt as it gets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Poor result to not even score. Davis simply not a goal scorer.

Ramsey the only player in that starting 11 I'd hope to keep. The rest could be sold in the morning and they wouldn't be missed. Just poor players.

I cannot believe the can't be bothered attitude from Traore already, he's gonna be toxic, definitely not a Smith signing. Simply no excuse for not looking interested.

I'd be paying Rashica what he wants in the morning because it seems without Jack, we'll really struggle.

Taylor, Hause, Lansbury, Elmo, Nakamba, El Gazhi all championship players and not even good enough to push the lads ahead of them in the first team.

Ramsey the only player in that starting 11 I'd hope to keep. The rest could be sold in the morning and they wouldn't be missed. Just poor players.

I cannot believe the can't be bothered attitude from Traore already, he's gonna be toxic, definitely not a Smith signing. Simply no excuse for not looking interested.

I'd be paying Rashica what he wants in the morning because it seems without Jack, we'll really struggle.

Taylor, Hause, Lansbury, Elmo, Nakamba, El Gazhi all championship players and not even good enough to push the lads ahead of them in the first team.

Shocked but yet not shocked that a player can be dubbed 'toxic' before he's even played 90 minutes for the club? I don't get the 'not looking interested' at all to be honest. Some players just have a playing style about them.

Is it just Villa fans who seem to do this quite often, or just football fans in general? Couldn't disagree more at already labelling players anything. Whether he ends up good or bad for the team, I can't honestly fathom judging him already.

Shocked but yet not shocked that a player can be dubbed 'toxic' before he's even played 90 minutes for the club? I don't get the 'not looking interested' at all to be honest. Some players just have a playing style about them.

Is it just Villa fans who seem to do this quite often, or just football fans in general? Couldn't disagree more at already labelling players anything. Whether he ends up good or bad for the team, I can't honestly fathom judging him already.

You don't get the not interested look?

I wrote my comments after the match, I've since had a look on Villa talk, many comments on there question his work rate, his lack of tracking back and him being "anonymous" tonight. So what I'm saying is, I'm not unique spotting this.

A couple of other posters on here mentioned Traore looking "disinterested" and "liability off the ball".

I'm not alone in saying he doesn't look interested, others have seen something to suggest that too.

Lyon fans were happy to see the back of him and based on the short representation he's given of himself, I can see why.

You don't get the not interested look?

I wrote my comments after the match, I've since had a look on Villa talk, many comments on there question his work rate, his lack of tracking back and him being "anonymous" tonight. So what I'm saying is, I'm not unique spotting this.

A couple of other posters on here mentioned Traore looking "disinterested" and "liability off the ball".

I'm not alone in saying he doesn't look interested, others have seen something to suggest that too.

Lyon fans were happy to see the back of him and based on the short representation he's given of himself, I can see why.

There's also plenty of posts there laughing at the mini meltdown some are having as well. Whether he eventually turns out poor or not is almost irrelevant, he hasn't had 90 minutes yet in a new team and is already being written off. A few here questioned what was so good about Luiz during last season, already writing him off as well. People like to have a 'finality' to some opinions and honestly god knows why. I just don't take analysis about a player after not more than half a game very seriously tbh. I just think people had already set opinions based on what they read 'Lyon fans said' and are already running with it.

I just completely disagree with anything even close to a substantial opinion being made on less than 90 minutes playing time in a new team.

There's also plenty of posts there laughing at the mini meltdown some are having as well. Whether he eventually turns out poor or not is almost irrelevant, he hasn't had 90 minutes yet in a new team and is already being written off. A few here questioned what was so good about Luiz during last season, already writing him off as well. People like to have a 'finality' to some opinions and honestly god knows why. I just don't take analysis about a player after not more than half a game very seriously tbh. I just think people had already set opinions based on what they read 'Lyon fans said' and are already running with it.

I just completely disagree with anything even close to a substantial opinion being made on less than 90 minutes playing time in a new team.

Bingo!, it appears some folks want players running around with the head in the air smiling for the full 90 minutes. Otherwise were is the passion :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I think after 2 wins on the trot with zero goals conceded, we can probably panic less about a game that featured an entire 2nd string.

Smith decided not to prioritise the League Cup, and to be honest I’d have done the same.

• Advertisement

My concern with Traore is that he's already got a reputation for poor attitude and not working hard at previous clubs.

He's already demonstrated this in his brief time at villa as many of us have noticed.

That's worrying and not the sort of first impressions I'd want or expect from a guy who cost £18m

My concern with Traore is that he's already got a reputation for poor attitude and not working hard at previous clubs.

He's already demonstrated this in his brief time at villa as many of us have noticed.

That's worrying and not the sort of first impressions I'd want or expect from a guy who cost £18m
    You're obviously entitled to a first impression, but ultimately I'm sure we're gonna get to see what he is actually about fairly soon.

Trezeguet isn't giving that spot up on the right without a fight though, so I'm confident that having competition there will improve them both. No room for resting on the laurels with a place almost assured, like a few got away with last season.

The only position where we don't have legitimate competition is LB. Up front for now, but we will when Wesley is fit.

CSF wrote: »
    You're obviously entitled to a first impression, but ultimately I'm sure we're gonna get to see what he is actually about fairly soon.

Trezeguet isn't giving that spot up on the right without a fight though, so I'm confident that having competition there will improve them both. No room for resting on the laurels with a place almost assured, like a few got away with last season.

The only position where we don't have legitimate competition is LB. Up front for now, but we will when Wesley is fit.

I really hope I'm wrong.

A combination of the two would be great, no doubt Traore has the ability.
    I guess we've had enough players in the past with all the ability and the wrong attitude, Ireland and Nzobgia come to mind.

I was wrong about Jota last season, I thought he'd be a really good signing.

I didn't fancy Wesley, Hogan or Samatta early on either.

Those judgements were all based on ability rather than attitude in Traore's case.

As I said, I hope I am proved wrong.

I know so little about Traore that I’m just gonna wait and see. I mean it doesn’t matter what I think now anyway since he’s signed, so he will either be a success or a flop and we’ll moan about him for the rest of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Mane out of Sundays game with Covid

El gazi and lansbury deactivate twitter accounts , you would think because of abuse about last nights game

• Advertisement

sc86 wrote: »
    El gazi and lansbury deactivate twitter accounts , you would think because of abuse about last nights game

Some absolute donuts online to have nothing better to do than post abuse. Those who do are scum and those who defend it too.

Tbh if I was a footballer I wouldn't bother with social media. You don't need that absolute sewer messing with your mental well being.

Jota gone. Mutual agreement for him to leave,

Strange one, would we not have got money for him? Nowhere near good enough.
    Big things were expected from him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

listermint wrote: »
    Tbh if I was a footballer I wouldn't bother with social media. You don't need that absolute sewer messing with your mental well being.

Agreed if I was a manager I’d actually ban the players from using it. . . More often than not it doesn’t end well

• Advertisement
Advertisement