Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

LeBash wrote: »
    What in the name of Jaysus are these pundits watching?

Yeah Grealish is talented but he needs to work harder? Tonight he was sprinting back last season he was walking back? Then the other clown agrees with him?

Souness the guy who said Grealish is only the most fouled player because he holds on to the ball too long and can't pass it.

Blaming the length of the grass at half time.

He's a soundbite.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭TheDenialTwist

Esse85 wrote: »
    Jack Grealish is absolutely world class, he'd get in any team club or country, and he's ours :D

We've really hit the ground running, fitness looks great, fantastic to see McGinn back to his best.

I really like the look of Matty Cash too.

And Ollie Watkins just seems like the dream player to have in your side, brilliant attitude, honest, no ego and bags of ability.

100% this. Pool could not keep up. Guess they thought this would be an easy game for them. What an incredible performance from us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Yeah Grealish is talented but he needs to work harder? Tonight he was sprinting back last season he was walking back? Then the other clown agrees with him?

Ya morons, just exposing their ignorance. Graham Souness might disappear from sky soon give his other comments as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

Pathetic from Souness and Evra to say that Jack is/was lazy, shows how ignorant and how little research both pundits have done.

Souness really is so sour and bitter at times.
    Credit to Van Dyke and Klopp for saying straight away how good villa were tonight.

Pathetic from Souness and Evra to say that Jack is/was lazy, shows how ignorant and how little research both pundits have done.

Credit to Van Dyke and Klopp for saying straight away how good villa were tonight.

Ya morons, just exposing their ignorance. Graham Souness might disappear from sky soon give his other comments as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭pavb2

Yes and I think Klopp was equally as respectful when they beat us 6 nil at VP

Onwards and upwards I’ll have to watch that game a few times before it sinks in

Souness is like this all the time, never fails to make
    unsound and unjust commentary.

SouRness more like.

Sky Commentary tonight... The desperation was quite palpable. Grasping at straws, oh sorry... grass :D

Souness is like this all the time, never fails to make
    unsound and unjust commentary.

SouRness more like.

Sky Commentary tonight... The desperation was quite palpable. Grasping at straws, oh sorry... grass :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

the most fouled player because he holds on to the ball too long

There is an element of truth in this part of it. I mentioned it earlier in the thread but last season we didn’t have players that ran into space for grealish to find. Because of that he ended up having to hold on too long and draw the foul.

When there are players making space and making runs he will find them and it makes him much more effective. He works hard, has great control, passing ability and vision. He just needs people around him that can take some of the pressure off him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Great to se villa at the top end. great stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Incredible stuff tonight. That game was nuts. Watkins looks a goalscorer but he absolutely dominated Gomez physically too.

Barkley looks a good fit for that 10 role. McGinn and Luiz was a good deeper pairing too. Grealish was incredible. He had TAA beaten every which way. Far to clever for him tonight.

As good as Villa were, Liverpool dug their own grave. That higher line in unnecessary. Conceded loads of chances in every game this season. That's their issue though!!

Hopefully we can build on this again. Our new signings all look like significant upgrades in quality which is all you can ask. Barkley will find the spaces as defenders will be pulled towards Jack. Jack will go to another level with better players around him.

Our left back still upsets me but we are improving each game so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Incredible stuff tonight. That game was nuts. Watkins looks a goalscorer but he absolutely dominated Gomez physically too.

Barkley looks a good fit for that 10 role. McGinn and Luiz was a good deeper pairing too. Grealish was incredible. He had TAA beaten every which way. Far to clever for him tonight.

As good as Villa were, Liverpool dug their own grave. That higher line in unnecessary. Conceded loads of chances in every game this season. That's their issue though!!

Hopefully we can build on this again. Our new signings all look like significant upgrades in quality which is all you can ask. Barkley will find the spaces as defenders will be pulled towards Jack. Jack will go to another level with better players around him.

Our left back still upsets me but we are improving each game so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Klopp applauding and saying 'Wow' at end of game. Good to see a bit of class even after seeing your team annihilated.

https://twitter.com/VillansB6/status/1312849545823506438?s=19

Let's hope Rashica was watching tonight and he's thinking, I fancy playing with Jack, John and Ross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Never put money on us last season. Always a sad experience and poor feeling around the team.

Took us at 7/1 Today prior to the match. Because I've been watching the work rate ethic and confidence growing over the last number of weeks. There's a team there now and today there was a swagger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

JPA wrote: »

There was a weird apology to Lamela at the end of Sky coverage, for using a Latin stereotype or something.

What were Souness' other comments?

Synode wrote: »
    There was a weird apology to Lamela at the end of Sky coverage, for using a Latin stereotype or something.

What were Souness' other comments?

He said Latins would be celebrating getting a player sent off.

He's a real old dinosaur who's never moved on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Unbelievable scenes.

Barkley made a huge difference in midfield.
    We are looking decent everywhere now (LB weakest still) and dangerous going forward.

All the new signings have improved us massively. High hopes of a great season now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭LeBash

Let's hope Rashica was watching tonight and he's thinking, I fancy playing with Jack, John and Ross.

Who would you drop for him though? Someone would have to be dropped for a guy thats around 20 million.

He plays left mostly, won't be Jack, he can play up front, won't be Watkins who even before tonight looks really good with his work rate and movement. That leaves Trez and he is playing out of his skin. To me, he's key with his work rate which is absolutely incredible. He's like watching Cafu running but from higher up the pitch.

We had Traore on the bench and while id hate to see him again, El Ghazi who in fairness as a 4th choice is probably as good as it gets outside the top 6.

Who would you drop for him though? Someone would have to be dropped for a guy thats around 20 million.

He plays left mostly, won't be Jack, he can play up front, won't be Watkins who even before tonight looks really good with his work rate and movement. That leaves Trez and he is playing out of his skin. To me, he's key with his work rate which is absolutely incredible. He's like watching Cafu running but from higher up the pitch.

We had Traore on the bench and while id hate to see him again, El Ghazi who in fairness as a 4th choice is probably as good as it gets outside the top 6.

Good points but I think it's about competition and game changing options from the bench. It would be a big statement and an effort to move away from relying on one player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Watkins and Martinez look like great signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

fullstop wrote: »
    Cash even moreso than Martinez so far. Martinez has had a ropey moment in both games whereas Cash has just been relentless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

fullstop wrote: »

I’m mostly happy with martinez. He seems to be confident in the air, a good shot stopper and a good passer. But he has had 2 howlers in the last 2 games and has been a bit lucky that they didn’t cost us goals.

• Advertisement

Trez would have to be the one.

Against lesser teams we'll need a more skillful player like Rashica to unlock the defence rather than the hard worker of Trez who is more effective against better teams when we're defending and have less of the ball.

I'd hope AEG would be moved on if Rashica signs.
    If would be nice to have the option of putting Rashica out left if we needed to as well.

Conor will be gutted that a CM was brought on and it wasn't him.

Trez would have to be the one.

Against lesser teams we'll need a more skillful player like Rashica to unlock the defence rather than the hard worker of Trez who is more effective against better teams when we're defending and have less of the ball.

I'd hope AEG would be moved on if Rashica signs.
    If would be nice to have the option of putting Rashica out left if we needed to as well.

Conor will be gutted that a CM was brought on and it wasn't him.

Rashica looks to not be happening according to Ashley Preece from Birm Mail. He said Smith commented that Villa are probably done incoming wise, but may be some going out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,338 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Great win for ye. Ye got a fair bit of luck, the first and 3 deflections, but that shouldn't take away from a real polished performance. Villa were where they were at the end of last season because they simply couldn't score. That looks to be solved and I reckon people will see a different Villa this season. Thoroughly deserved win at any rate.

I was happy Trez only tried one of those kick and run things tonight, that's progress :P He was great though, worked incredibly and as importantly, used the ball much better than last season. Needs to keep that up though, huge variances in consistency will be his enemy otherwise. Fantastic tonight though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Was it all a dream?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

sc86 wrote: »
    Was it all a dream?

Not according to Biggie smalls

I barely got any sleep with the excitement and the need to read and listen to every report on the game.

A striker or Rashica signing would really be the icing on the cake.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Looking forward to the gifs in the Liverpool thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Well done.

Incredible performance.

The turnaround since coming back from lockdown has been sensational, and yesterday was totally deserved.

You took the píss out of our high line, and I thought McGinn in midfield, in particular, made a mockery of what we put up to you. It gave you the space to have players get their heads up and make the pass to exploit our offside 'trap'.

I've a lot of admiration for Dean Smith, and indeed the board for keeping faith when so many clubs would've taken a chance and sacked him when things were bad.

SlickRic wrote: »
    Well done.

Incredible performance.

The turnaround since coming back from lockdown has been sensational, and yesterday was totally deserved.

You took the píss out of our high line, and I thought McGinn in midfield, in particular, made a mockery of what we put up to you. It gave you the space to have players get their heads up and make the pass to exploit our offside 'trap'.

I've a lot of admiration for Dean Smith, and indeed the board for keeping faith when so many clubs would've taken a chance and sacked him when things were bad.

Thanks.

I think the Konza & Mings partnership has blossomed, Konza has improved immensely and that stability has helped everyone. I wouldn't rule Konza out of making the Euro squad for England.

I've never seen a player as good at using their body to shield the ball like McGinn, he just gets down so low and sticks his arse out to protect the ball, any push and he'll fall over and win a free. That pass for the Grealish last goal from McGinn was excellent.

The board need to take that credit with Smith, most fans at the time were split on whether to keep Dean or sack him when we looked dead and buried, easy and short term decision would of been to get rid, but thankfully they had faith and patience and then backed him financially with transfers.
    We are blessed with the owners and how they conduct themselves, we've had some apes over the years to know the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭Patser

Sudden urgent desire for transfer window to be finished.

Just had bad thoughts that:

Pep might go where can I get a Premier league DM quickly

Or Woodward/Glazers go well how do we shut up the fans and make them happy again.

There's no suggestion this will happen, or rumours but would just like yo have Luiz and Grealish locked away from fax machines for the day

Patser wrote: »

Or Woodward/Glazers go well how do we shut up the fans and make them happy again.

There's no suggestion this will happen, or rumours but would just like yo have Luiz and Grealish locked away from fax machines for the day

Not a hope either will leave this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Patser wrote: »

I'd assume and hope that the Luiz agreement is date locked to a certain window, I'd be furious at our naivety if we'd allowed it to be completely open ended to deadline day

I'd assume and hope that the Luiz agreement is date locked to a certain window, I'd be furious at our naivety if we'd allowed it to be completely open ended to deadline day

I don’t get the impression that we had that much leverage in those negotiations.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I must have watched every type of coverage of the game on youtube today from listening to shaka hislop on ESPN to Michael Owen on BT and Carragher on Sky just can't get enough no matter which numpty is talking about the game.

Be interesting to see now if anything else happens today. Rashica seems to be the only name being mentioned as possible so unless he signs Watkins isn't going to have any backup until Wesley is back (well except the goal machine Davis who does not seem to getting a loan move).

I must have watched every type of coverage of the game on youtube today from listening to shaka hislop on ESPN to Michael Owen on BT and Carragher on Sky just can't get enough no matter which numpty is talking about the game.

Be interesting to see now if anything else happens today. Rashica seems to be the only name being mentioned as possible so unless he signs Watkins isn't going to have any backup until Wesley is back (well except the goal machine Davis who does not seem to getting a loan move).

Smith said the Rashica thing isn’t happening. Reckon if we sign anyone it will be later in that Championship window

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

CSF wrote: »
    Smith said the Rashica thing isn’t happening. Reckon if we sign anyone it will be later in that Championship window

Totally blanked on the extended domestic window. Guess we will be hearing renewed links to King until 5pm on Friday 16th October so. Maybe the odd Henry link from Brentford too

You would think we would still be looking to shift one or two fringe players as well though I dunno if the links of Guilbert will be looking to head anywhere in England if he doesn't get a move today and his 40k a week wages may make that difficult. Also hard to believe both Kalinic and Nyland are on the books

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭LeBash

Also hard to believe both Kalinic and Nyland are on the books

Its not hard to believe. Who would actually want them? I think we are stuck with them until the end of the contracts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭Patser

Its not hard to believe. Who would actually want them? I think we are stuck with them until the end of the contracts.

Liverpool after last night:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

So sad that Smith's old man wasn't alive to see that.

Nyland gone. Mutual termination of contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

That's him and Jota cleared out to take us to a 25 man squad I believe, shift one more and we've space for another addition before the English window closes next week. Would be nice to get King as an option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Youd imagine lansbury must also be on the list for termination of contract offere with the other 2 gone

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »
    Nyland gone. Mutual termination of contract.

Christ he was bad.

Advertisement