Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

I heard that the Liverpool team have headed to Spain for a few days.....

Apparently it's hard to beat a Villa this time of year :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Really good alternate look at the Liverpool game. The echo of players shouting during the game is still so strange.

Anyone listen to the irish podcast on villa called "for the love of paul mcgrath"

I just heard the guy on the Villa View podcast a couple of weeks ago, definitely has a good understanding of the game.

I'm not watching the England Wales game, but just checked the score and England 1 up, the assist came from one of the best players in the world right now, Super Jack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Esse85 wrote: »
    I'm not watching the England Wales game, but just checked the score and England 1 up, the assist came from one of the best players in the world right now, Super Jack.

Well of the two continue on as they did last week Barkley is in for a treat with back into the England squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

In less good news he was wearing some sort of weird strapping on his thigh for a while and also was down after someone stood on his foot. He doesn't look 100% to me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

He was carrying something in the Liverpool match I believe.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Looks like Mings assisted England's 3rd.

He was carrying something in the Liverpool match I believe.

Hamstring problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Hamstring problem.

Nope,

Expectation.

• Advertisement

Hourihane missed a sitter, should really have scored.

listermint wrote: »
    Nope,

Expectation.

:D

This journalist rated Jack man of the match.

https://twitter.com/MirrorFootball/status/1314313151899463680?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Yes I think people are starting to appreciate what us Villa fans have known for a long time, players with his talent don’t come along very often we are lucky to have him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Most reports say he was outstanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Its fair to say jack plays much better with better players around him which is understandable.
    Mcginn man of the match for scotland also.
    Meanwhile conor cant score from 2 yards for ireland

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

There were times when I wouldn’t have blamed one for leaving or the board for removing the other but it’s great having fans who genuinely love the club captaining and managing Villa atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Some Twitter chat we are in for Benrahma, believe it when I see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

JPA wrote: »
    That'd be dreamworld stuff for me, but yeah, can't see it either.

I don't think that'll happen.
    I'd of much rathered Benrahma to Traore, even tho I know Benrahma plays more on the left, in Jack's position.
    With the likes of Lansbury, Kalinic and AEG still taking a wage from the club, I can't see us paying £30m for a player that's more of a want than a need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

CSF wrote: »
    That'd be dreamworld stuff for me, but yeah, can't see it either.

We're 2nd in league and last week beat Liverpool 7-2, dreams can come true

JPA wrote: »

I can't see a place for him in the first 11 all being fit. Would he come here to sit on the bench and would we pay £30m for him to do that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Would prefer if we tried to get King and a decent center back in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

I think Traore is the back up striker until Wes is fit. Id say we will be looking at a young Centre Back only.

Engels and Hause will be fit soon, so its not completely necessary. They are back ups so we can't expect a whole lot better.

Nobody will be getting ahead of Mings a current England International and Konsa who looks to probably be 1 soon enough.

What is the story with Engels? Is it a long term injury we knew nothing about, an illness of some sort or was it just a falling out with Smith?

Patser wrote: »
    What is the story with Engels? Is it a long term injury we knew nothing about, an illness of some sort or was it just a falling out with Smith?

I thought Smith said an injury last I heard, probably wouldn't disclose a falling out if that was the case.

I thought Smith said an injury last I heard, probably wouldn't disclose a falling out if that was the case.

Maybe, but all google searches only say keen to sell after Engels dropping to 4th choice

Patser wrote: »
    Maybe, but all google searches only say keen to sell after Engels dropping to 4th choice

A similar thing happened last season there were a number of games where he didn't play and no one knew if he was injured or had had a falling out.

Other than his howler against Spurs (hard to believe our last attended home match) I thought he was OK and every time I see that header against City in the cup final I still think it's going in.

pavb2 wrote: »
    A similar thing happened last season there were a number of games where he didn't play and no one knew if he was injured or had had a falling out.

Other than his howler against Spurs (hard to believe our last attended home match) I thought he was OK and every time I see that header against City in the cup final I still think it's going in.

He was brilliant in that Spurs game as well bar that mess up.

He might still be a good player. Look at the improvement in Luiz, Trez, Mings, Target etc since lock down. He just hasn't had a shot.

Someone (i think I might have read it here) said he has asthma. Maybe its because he's high risk with Covid that we aren't seeing him?

• Advertisement

LeBash wrote: »
    He was brilliant in that Spurs game as well bar that mess up.

He might still be a good player. Look at the improvement in Luiz, Trez, Mings, Target etc since lock down. He just hasn't had a shot.

Someone (i think I might have read it here) said he has asthma. Maybe its because he's high risk with Covid that we aren't seeing him?
    Konsa is so good, he will have to settle for a bench spot for now at best.

Nearly every Premier League player has asthma. At least they are all on medication for it, like the cyclists. Always amazes me how so many asthmatics become elite athletes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Watched Brazil v Peru. Dougie played another 90 minutes tonight. Impressive, solid showing. Brazilian fans seem to be really warming to him now too.

Unfortunately it's hard not to see City exercise that option at some stage I fear, unless Guardiola gets the boot possibly.

Corholio wrote:
    Unfortunately it's hard not to see City exercise that option at some stage I fear, unless Guardiola gets the boot possibly.

How long is left on it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Meant to be next summer at £35 million, can't see any way that isn't triggered at this rate. Even if they don't want him they'll sell him for more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I think it's very easy to forget that he's only 22.

Last year he was only 21 and just moved to a new country at the start of the season. It's understandable that there may have been some bedding in time.

• Advertisement

If he is offered a new contract can the buy back option be removed or can they just pay city a go away fee?

kilburn wrote: »
    If he is offered a new contract can the buy back option be removed or can they just pay city a go away fee?

Would have to be the latter

Just have to accept the clause is there and that the original transfer wouldn't have happened without it. Good business from Man City, Barcelona do it also, as they did with Adama Traore to us.

Just have to accept the clause is there and that the original transfer wouldn't have happened without it. Good business from Man City, Barcelona do it also, as they did with Adama Traore to us.

Seems Villa learned from it also as they are including it in their sales now

Meant to be next summer at £35 million, can't see any way that isn't triggered at this rate. Even if they don't want him they'll sell him for more

Unless the arse falls out of the transfer market with COVID and/or Brexit. If transfer prices fall, then he might not look as good an option at £35m or at worst, a good replacement can be sourced.

• Advertisement

kilburn wrote: »
    Seems Villa learned from it also as they are including it in their sales now

So we can buy back....... Scott Hogan?

Patser wrote:
    So we can buy back....... Scott Hogan?

Haha sorry I meant sell on clause

If Luiz goes, he's served his purpose and we just need to have several targets lined up and ready to roll.

We could even buy a player now and leave him on a 1,2,3 year loan, whatever runs down the buy back deal. We don't even need to take the player if we don't want.

DM is probably the easiest position in football to fill.

I'd imagine Jack will be feeling pretty angry leaving the England squad.
    Southgate is a joke.

I’m a bit conflicted as it would be good to see Grealish become an England regular but there’s always the risk of injury. Southgate isn’t doing himself any favours leaving Jack out and I think opinion is starting to turn against him.

I didn’t realise that Ross Barkley has 33 caps and only a year older than Jack., by all accounts John McGinn had a good game tonight.

On the plus side, Grealish is going to be fresh and playing with that extra bit of hunger on Sunday now.

Is anyone planning on actually paying this PPV fee for the game?

On the plus side, Grealish is going to be fresh and playing with that extra bit of hunger on Sunday now.

No I have a box that streams all the games.

As for McGinn, I looked at live score app and they had him playing further up behind the strikers, is this where he actually played?

If I was sure that the money would end up back at the club I’d pay up. Who am I kidding? I probably will buy it after a few drinks Friday night.

I'd imagine Jack will be feeling pretty angry leaving the England squad.
    Southgate is a joke.

I wonder if Jack went out against Wales with strict instructions to stay out wide left but he decided to play his natural game instead and started to pop up everywhere. It would explain some of the Southgate comments after that match and his subsequent banishment.

No chance im paying that. I genuinely hope not many do. The bleeding price of it for per match.

• Advertisement
Advertisement