Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Panrich wrote: »
    If I was sure that the money would end up back at the club I’d pay up. Who am I kidding? I probably will buy it after a few drinks Friday night.

It's on Sunday evening so you'll have a chance to sober up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Two international man of the match awards in two games for McGinn. Great to see he's hit the ground running this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Corholio wrote: »
    Two international man of the match awards in two games for McGinn. Great to see he's hit the ground running this season.

Yes he really seems to be getting back to his best. Looked excellent against Liverpool. Just needs a goal now to get his confidence back in front of goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

CucaFace wrote: »
    Yes he really seems to be getting back to his best. Looked excellent against Liverpool. Just needs a goal now to get his confidence back in front of goal.

Didn't he score against Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

He did indeed but easy to forget when we scored oh so many goals

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭AVFC.Stephen

With the performances in the media about individual play of the players. I cant stop thinking about how many points we will have by Christmas. I understand the season started late but I'm gonna say 27 points.

Before the 26th. We will have played 13 games. I be happy with 27 on the board

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

With the performances in the media about individual play of the players. I cant stop thinking about how many points we will have by Christmas. I understand the season started late but I'm gonna say 27 points.

Before the 26th. We will have played 13 games. I be happy with 27 on the board

Let’s not get the expectations too high and we won’t be disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

If we had 15-20 range I would be delighted

Ah lads come on. Let's dream!!! This is a **** year one to write off. Let's get some sorts happiness together

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ah lads come on. Let's dream!!! This is a **** year one to write off. Let's get some sorts happiness together

Don't mind these lads. It's top 4 this year.

listermint wrote:
    Don't mind these lads. It's top 4 this year.

Didn't someone point out earlier I think that the year after Leicester stayed up by one point they won the league.

I think this season will be a total rollercoaster with 5 or 6 clubs within a few points at the end.

No one will get 85 plus points like the last few years

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

We are still relegation candidates as far as I'm concerned. A bright start alright but still a lot to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

We are still relegation candidates as far as I'm concerned. A bright start alright but still a lot to do.

Without a doubt. I've been thinking since the Liverpool match that Leicester next will give me a better idea of how I think the season will go.

I'd love for the team to have a banging season and I'll be right on that train, I'm just trying to measure my own expectations.

Relegation candidates.

There's absolutely no evidence of that. We've tightened up at the back. Were scoring with abandon. We have a more mature back 4 and a proper keeper. A midfield that are gelling quickly. Shackles are off.

You simply didn't see any evidence of this the last three years. There was zero self confidence and shakey all over.

I can't stand by relegation talk at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I think it should be ok for relegation this year but I think it's still good to not look too far up either. I definitely don't want to see a case of not being in top 10 etc is disappointment and pressure on the manager. A very good start cushions the bumps along the way a bit. But at the same time, a more comfortable survival/consolidation is still the realistic aim.

Hopefully don't have the horror injury luck of last year either. I still think people underestimate the hammer blow of that Burnley game last season, losing Wes and Heaton at the same time, along with McGinn's problem too during the season.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Relegation candidates.

There's absolutely no evidence of that. We've tightened up at the back. Were scoring with abandon. We have a more mature back 4 and a proper keeper. A midfield that are gelling quickly. Shackles are off.

You simply didn't see any evidence of this the last three years. There was zero self confidence and shakey all over.

On the evidence of 3 games, we'll be well clear of relegation. But we stayed up last season on a points total that would have got us relegated a lot of other seasons.
    One or 2 key injuries and we could be in trouble,

JPA wrote: »
    On the evidence of 3 games, we'll be well clear of relegation. But we stayed up last season on a points total that would have got us relegated a lot of other seasons.
    One or 2 key injuries and we could be in trouble,

We've still a game in hand and unbeaten. The confidence is high in the team that carries everyone with it. It's infectious.

Genuinely taking it game by game and not even in a cliched way.

We could genuinely win 3-0 or lose 3-0 on Sunday and neither would be a gigantic shock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

We've still a game in hand and unbeaten. The confidence is high in the team that carries everyone with it. It's infectious.

Exactly this, confidence is high, everyone is happy, team seems to have gelled well, even the new players like Watkins, Martinez and Barkley have all had 'glory' moments in 1st 3 games (a hattrick, a peno save and a debut goal).

It's amazing how a start like this can drive on a team, as a happy team will play freely and have fun, whereas after the start say Fulham have had all sorts of doubts creep in.

Even a few more wins over next month, and if relegation threat starts to recede this early, the team will start looking up rather than down

Actually Villas odds of top 4 went from 101/1 season start to 35/1 last week to 20/1 today. Looks like the bookies are looking at our Internationals.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Relegation candidates.

The evidence is a few months ago we stayed up by the skin of our teeth, there our promising signs there, but the goal has to be to stay up.

If you look at the start of the season, Sheffield we really scraped by, with them down to 10, obviously they were able to sit back, but you can't read too much into it.

Fulham are a basket case, that result is probably comparable to the Norwich last season.

Liverpool was a one off bizarre case and the league cup performances were underwhelming and show that there's not a whole lot of room for injuries.

Leicester is the real litmus test on where we are, after this game I think then I would be more confident in saying that Villa will be comfortable this year.

The evidence is a few months ago we stayed up by the skin of our teeth, there our promising signs there, but the goal has to be to stay up.

If you look at the start of the season, Sheffield we really scraped by, with them down to 10, obviously they were able to sit back, but you can't read too much into it.

Fulham are a basket case, that result is probably comparable to the Norwich last season.

Liverpool was a one off bizarre case and the league cup performances were underwhelming and show that there's not a whole lot of room for injuries.

Leicester is the real litmus test on where we are, after this game I think then I would be more confident in saying that Villa will be comfortable this year.

A few months ago we had different keeper , different midfield and different strikers

There's no comparison to be made to a few months ago tbf. None. Injury prone depleted out front and dejected from a slog of a season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Our first 11 right now is a pretty good team that is easily a mid table side.

But outside of the first 11 we have very average and poor players.

So any injuries will hugely reduce the ability of this side. So how our season will go will mainly come down to injuries (and i guess covid outbreaks also).

CucaFace wrote: »
    Our first 11 right now is a pretty good team that is easily a mid table side.

But outside of the first 11 we have very average and poor players.

So any injuries will hugely reduce the ability of this side. So how our season will go will mainly come down to injuries (and i guess covid outbreaks also).

What would be our 2nd eleven if magically everyone was injured?

Steer
    Guilbert Hause Engels Taylor
    Nakamba
    Hourihane Lansbury
    Traore/Trez El Ghazi
    Davis

Anyone I'm obviously missing? I mean that's be no means a great 2nd string, but could hold it's own for a draw vs poorer Prem team

Patser wrote: »
    What would be our 2nd eleven if magically everyone was injured?

Steer
    Guilbert Hause Engels Taylor
    Nakamba
    Hourihane Lansbury
    Traore/Trez El Ghazi
    Davis

Anyone I'm obviously missing? I mean that's be no means a great 2nd string, but could hold it's own for a draw vs poorer Prem team

That's a shocking team, they'd concede bucket loads and score a goal every 5 games.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Esse85 wrote: »
    That's a shocking team, they'd concede bucket loads and score a goal every 5 games.

True but even if they are injured you can add Heaton and Wesley to that 11 and I think Villa could benefit a lot this season from how congested other teams fixtures are while we are not in Europe and already out of the league cup especially if the club can keep our own Covid situation under control.

No doubt they will put out a second string team but a quick google shows me that we play Arsenal for example on Nov 7th and they also have a Europa league game the day before that, not to mention playing Man Utd away on the 2nd while our closest game to them is Southampton on the 1st. Similarily they have a Europa and Prem game (Oct 26th & 30th) sooner to those games again than our one proceeding game would be (Leeds 24th Oct).

I agree this Leicester game will be a good measure of where we are at as that Pool game has to be considered an anomaly but still it should have the lads brimming with confidence and we have been too used to seeing them scared of a potential screw up and know how detrimental that can be so it will be nice to hopefully see the opposite now.

Personally I would be happy if the club are not involved in a relegation scrap this year. talk of mid table or higher would be a bonus. I love the optimism though to say after 13 games you'd be happy with 27 points. That'd be more than 2 points per game, damn right we would all be happy!

Soyonchu out Sunday, Vardy a doubt.

Grealish should be well rested given Southgates selection policy

Just read that kagawa is a free agent. If someone could tell me about his demise... I always rated him. Be great back up for us in midfield if our injuries were so detrimental

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

JPA wrote: »
    Soyonchu out Sunday, Vardy a doubt.

Could be massive game changer if those teo are absent. Leicester are a very good side but even at his age now they are often dependent upon Vardy for goals and without their best defender they could struggle against on form McGinn, Watkins and Grealish (both of whom should actually be quite rested thanks to the break/Southgate) and co

On a side note I know there is some anti Southgate sentiment atm but was I the only one who always thought Ugo Ehiogu was the better of our CBs at the time. Was shocked to find out recently Ugo passed away 3 years ago, always felt he was underrated myself.

• Advertisement

Leicester have given us some severe beatings in recent years, usually Vardy or Iheanacho doing the damage. Be great to get a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Could be massive game changer if those teo are absent. Leicester are a very good side but even at his age now they are often dependent upon Vardy for goals and without their best defender they could struggle against on form McGinn, Watkins and Grealish (both of whom should actually be quite rested thanks to the break/Southgate) and co

On a side note I know there is some anti Southgate sentiment atm but was I the only one who always thought Ugo Ehiogu was the better of our CBs at the time. Was shocked to find out recently Ugo passed away 3 years ago, always felt he was underrated myself.

Southgate was one of those players that I never warmed to. I never really felt that he had any great affinity for the club.
    His behaviour now is vindictive and I’m not sure what’s behind it. Some people say he prefers players who came through the English under age system but it doesn’t seem to affect Declan Rice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Panrich wrote: »
    Southgate was one of those players that I never warmed to. I never really felt that he had any great affinity for the club.
    His behaviour now is vindictive and I’m not sure what’s behind it. Some people say he prefers players who came through the English under age system but it doesn’t seem to affect Declan Rice.

Its very like Ireland and Wes. They don't like him but pressure will get him a few caps.

Im chuffed he got 1 out of 3 games. Despite all the turn around in atmosphere and expectations, Villa are rubber duct without Grealish. If he gets injured, I hope its in a Villa shirt and not an England one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

This season is going to be all over the place. Along with the usual injury bouts that some teams have throughout a season there's also the risk of large sections of a squad getting sidelined as a result of covid.

I think any squads that are well disciplined and can keep infections out will do well. Leicester having injuries can only be a good thing. It won't be easy but if we get even a draw then it's a flying start if you ask me.

Be interested to see how Benrahma does on loan at West Ham.

Esse85 wrote: »
    Be interested to see how Benrahma does on loan at West Ham.

With Antonio up front. I reckon he will be fairly decent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Toney has 3 in 4 games. How much will Brentford quote us next season?

LeBash wrote: »

Only thing we should be bidding for is that Smartodds database. They are unreal.

How come the game is on box office?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

kilburn wrote: »
    How come the game is on box office?

Think all games outside the ones being shown by Sky/BT are available via box office

Bein sports. Premier sports. Dazn. NBC. Theres loads of channels that show it normal as there package.

I dont mind listening to andy gray

LeBash wrote: »

He has 5 in 5 now!

Bein sports. Premier sports. Dazn. NBC. Theres loads of channels that show it normal as there package.

I dont mind listening to andy gray

Me either but I’m definitely not an expert at finding decent streams.

CSF wrote: »
    Me either but I’m definitely not an expert at finding decent streams.

I have all the streams but it's a secret

Some helpful posters on Villa talk often share the links pretty close to kickoff.

• Advertisement

It's mad that I'm seeing Sheff Utd and Fulham drawing, going this is a good result as 2 relegation rivals are dropping points, while at the same time optimistic we'll win this evening and have 4 wins out of 4 and maybe challenge for European spot

Streams? Links? Get with the times!

Even after 5 games I think it's very obvious how poor Fulham and Sheffield United are they are both going to have a long hard season and will be cut adrift long before the season ends.

So that's 2 of the bottom 3 for me with either Burnley which looks like there are problems behind the scenes or West Brom for that 3rd spot.

Think we are definitely looking at a top 12 finish even if the wheels come off, first time in at least 10 years that I am very optimistic about our season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

Hi Folks,

Just a quick question. Trying to find the 20/21Villa Jersey in a Large to send overseas for a birthday. Its a last minute thing and need it by Wednesday as giving it to another lad travelling out.

Ay ideas where I can find one. Tried Lifestyle in Blanch and Elverys to no avail.

Hi Folks,

Just a quick question. Trying to find the 20/21Villa Jersey in a Large to send overseas for a birthday. Its a last minute thing and need it by Wednesday as giving it to another lad travelling out.

Ay ideas where I can find one. Tried Lifestyle in Blanch and Elverys to no avail.
    They have them on the Villa store and says they ship within 3 business days, although it looks like the only ones they have in stock are with someone's name on the back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement