Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Did I say "stamp"? Did I say "dive"?

No, I didn't.

Another poster said that.

It was Bamford's "reaction" I was speaking of.

Was replying to the previous few comments, your own included, figured i didn't need the multiquote since i said "Looks a very harsh reaction to that in here".

His reaction seemed to be someone in a bit of pain... didn't look at the ref, didn't ask for a pen, didn't complain about Mings or anything, just grabbed at the ankle that we could see had twisted in the replay. And then Mings went grabbing at him.. if there was a reaction to be talked about i'd have thought it would be that one..

No big deal, just didn't seem like an event worthy of the general vitriol around it <shrug>.

Anyway, been a great game... how different it could have been if Graelish had passed to Watkins on the back post when he was running across the box instead of trying to work a shot himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

I'm starting to question Watkins role, I'm not sure what his role is, sometimes he's out wide, other times he's in the box.

Had Jack scored from that solo run, things would of been so different.

Disappointed how much Konsa stood off Bamford for the second goal, equally disappointed at Mings turning his back on the ball for the first.
    3 very badly defended goals, credit to Bamford of course but our defenders should be doing better with all 3 goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭TheDenialTwist

Leeds have been brilliant. Thoroughly deserved

We never turned up. Was gonna happen that we lose just hope we dont hit a rut now

Yeah as I said previously Stephen we've been totally outplayed tonight.

Hopefully not...

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Smurts

CucaFace wrote: »
    In fairness not one player on our bench would have made any difference. Horihane to come into the CM against leeds to make a difference?

Dont think thats the point, there is no plan B there tonight with the players on the pitch or on the bench, its very disappointing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

In fairness not one player on our bench would have made any difference. Horihane to come into the CM against leeds to make a difference?

Two sets of tired legs out there in midfield fkn sure the swap should have been made.

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Was replying to the previous few comments, your own included, figured i didn't need the multiquote since i said "Looks a very harsh reaction to that in here".

His reaction seemed to be someone in a bit of pain... didn't look at the ref, didn't ask for a pen, didn't complain about Mings or anything, just grabbed at the ankle that we could see had twisted in the replay. And then Mings went grabbing at him.. if there was a reaction to be talked about i'd have thought it would be that one..

No big deal, just didn't seem like an event worthy of the general vitriol around it <shrug>.

Well done, ye played a great game.

Final whistle...

Oh well

Hope we learn something from tonight

Final whistle...

Oh well

Hope we learn something from tonight

Was there any positives? I'm struggling to think of any.

Well done, ye played a great game.

Oh I'm not a Leeds fan, just a random neutral, and I've enjoyed watching both Villa and Leeds so far this season so figured this'd be a good'un.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

If i was a villa sub id be knocking down smiths door tomorrow , they could not have been any worse than what played

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,148 ✭✭✭Patser

7 v 4 on a break there at the death - summed up Leeds' desire vs Villa.

They really looked like a team who's confidence went pop after they went behind. Smith bears a lot of blame for that. Where we were failing was obvious by half time and he changed nothing, instead we seemed to again be relying on Grealish to 'magic' up something (unlucky for him tonight - goal cleared off line and that run!!)

But all credit has to go to Leeds, they really, really played brilliantly. Speed and energy the whole game, and Bamford's finishes just got better and better (could easily have had 5)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

Esse85 wrote: »
    I'm starting to question Watkins role, I'm not sure what his role is, sometimes he's out wide, other times he's in the box.

Had Jack scored from that solo run, things would of been so different.

Disappointed how much Konsa stood off Bamford for the second goal, equally disappointed at Mings turning his back on the ball for the first.
    3 very badly defended goals, credit to Bamford of course but our defenders should be doing better with all 3 goals.

In fairness, they could have scored 6 or 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭pavb2

Poor enough should have made a better game of it second half but got to keep it in perspective can’t overreact we’ve still had a great start to the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Bad night, especially second half. Just outplayed and quicker to everything. They let no Villa midfielder have any time on the ball in the 2nd half and had way too many overturns of play. Leeds were very good and deserved it of course, the speed of their transitions cut through Villa tonight. Took chances decisively in previous matches and shows how much you're punished when you eventually don't.

As much as we didn't get too ahead of ourselves about winning 4 in a row, or at least shouldn't have, no need to get too in despair either after first loss. Poor night all round though, hopefully learn from it.

sc86 wrote: »
    If i was a villa sub id be knocking down smiths door tomorrow , they could not have been any worse than what played

It looked like a system failure to me. I don't think we were set up to succeed and different square pegs would not have made a difference.

Esse85 wrote: »
    Was there any positives? I'm struggling to think of any.

No, I didn't see any positives Esse.

I said I hope we learn from tonight.

Tonight was a reality check and we need to learn from it.

Anyway, been a great game... how different it could have been if Graelish had passed to Watkins on the back post when he was running across the box instead of trying to work a shot himself.

Rebel - I think I was one of those you were responding to.

I still stand by it - kind of - Bamford definitely was the one to stand/stamp on Mings. In the replayes to me it looked like a stamp, but replays can be misleading compared to real time and I'm willing to say it could have been accidental.

But I think there's less doubt that he threw his leg high up into the air - over his head actually - to try claim he was fouled and get a peno. I can understand Mings frustration, to be stood on and then watch that player go down claiming you did it - although never great to see one of your players grab an opponent, always a risk of a red card for retaliation.

As you say, you're not a Villa fan, so there is history here with Bamford for exactly this behaviour a few seasons ago, that did get a Villa player sent off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,655 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Jesus, that was truly appalling. McGinn and Barkley looked lost all night and Smith had to change it. He didn’t and Leeds took full advantage. It looked like a team playing opponents a few divisions below.

Huge wake up call there.

Corholio wrote: »
    Bad night, especially second half. Just outplayed and quicker to everything. They let no Villa midfielder have any time on the ball in the 2nd half and had way too many overturns of play. Leeds were very good and deserved it of course, the speed of their transitions cut through Villa tonight. Took chances decisively in previous matches and shows how much you're punished when you eventually don't.

As much as we didn't get too ahead of ourselves about winning 4 in a row, or at least shouldn't have, no need to get too in despair either after first loss. Poor night all round though, hopefully learn from it.

Yes, I made the same point,hopefully we learn from the performance tonight. It's a reality check.

Oh I'm not a Leeds fan, just a random neutral, and I've enjoyed watching both Villa and Leeds so far this season so figured this'd be a good'un.

Yes, we were completely outplayed by Leeds tonight.

Anyway, onto the next one... :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

That's the first time we've gone behind this season, and what's worrying was the reaction, there was none.

That's the first time we've gone behind this season, and what's worrying was the reaction, there was none.

It’s true, but we were being outplayed long before they scored. We had some chances but were largely dominated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Yes i was going to say the same. Heads totally dropped after the first goal and nobody in the center positions stood up and the leeds CM (minus their best player lets not forget this) totally dominated us. What makes it worse is we had a good few chances before they scored so its not like we were totally out of it.

McGinn is a player who i just don't know what to make of. Sometimes he looks great, and then often he is just totally AWOL in a position any team cant afford to be carrying passengers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I want leeds to keep running there socks off. By the 60th min they will be hanging...

You don't watch many Leeds games do you?

Yes i was going to say the same. Heads totally dropped after the first goal and nobody in the center positions stood up and the leeds CM (minus their best player lets not forget this) totally dominated us. What makes it worse is we had a good few chances before they scored so its not like we were totally out of it.

McGinn is a player who i just don't know what to make of. Sometimes he looks great, and then often he is just totally AWOL in a position any team cant afford to be carrying passengers.

Barkley deserves criticism as well for the second goal. Very poor pass followed by letting his man waltz past him.

Panrich wrote: »
    Barkley deserves criticism as well for the second goal. Very poor pass followed by letting his man waltz past him.

He was truly awful. He was good against Liverpool and Leicester for sure, but I’d consider Hourihane for next week to send a message that there is a certain level of performance that nobody can go below.

McGinn could face the same for his performance but he has 2 extra good games under his belt to get him the benefit of the doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

CSF wrote: »
    He was truly awful. He was good against Liverpool and Leicester for sure, but I’d consider Hourihane for next week to send a message that there is a certain level of performance that nobody can go below.

McGinn could face the same for his performance but he has 2 extra good games under his belt to get him the benefit of the doubt.

Yes he was very bad, but dropping him for Horihane would be a punishment for the whole team not just Barkley.

Yes he was very bad, but dropping him for Horihane would be a punishment for the whole team not just Barkley.

Hourihane wouldn’t have been as bad as Barkley was tonight. If the message is that you can play as bad as that and get away with it because the other guy has less ability then it’s not a good message.

Only in the door 2 games and putting in that kind of performance, I’d be sending him a message of how there are minimum performance levels required at the club.

I’m still confident he will be a useful player in his time at the club but him and McGinn tonight was like playing with 9.

In fairness to Barkley, he said he was 50/50 for the Leicester game Sunday, so I suspect he wasn't in top physical condition for this game.

Hourihane would of been like a guy stuck in the mud out there tonight, he was poor against the average international sides he played. He's not what you want when up against a fitter side. I'd of preferred Nakamba than Hourihane against a high energy side like Leeds.

• Advertisement

Nakamba should have been the sub alright. Was even enough up until first goal, but Leeds got better after and Villa got worse. Trez was another who reverted to the Trez of last season, didn't even do the working back tonight which has been his saving grace of his place in the team. I like him but I think he's the one that needs to be really consistent for his place, more than anyone else I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Patser wrote: »

I still stand by it - kind of - Bamford definitely was the one to stand/stamp on Mings. In the replayes to me it looked like a stamp, but replays can be misleading compared to real time and I'm willing to say it could have been accidental.

But I think there's less doubt that he threw his leg high up into the air - over his head actually - to try claim he was fouled and get a peno. I can understand Mings frustration, to be stood on and then watch that player go down claiming you did it - although never great to see one of your players grab an opponent, always a risk of a red card for retaliation.

As you say, you're not a Villa fan, so there is history here with Bamford for exactly this behaviour a few seasons ago, that did get a Villa player sent off

Bamford is incredibly irritating. But it was pretty clear to me that someone’s laces got caught on the other’s studs which caused his leg to react like that. Mings obviously felt very little contact and assumed the worst and reacted stupidly.

In the first half, I though I saw a challenge in the box where Konsa deliberately fell on Bamford and looked like he could of avoided landing on him.
    Commentators didn't mention it, maybe I'm imagining it, but when I saw it, I just thought Konsa has left something on him there.

Did anyone else spot that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Yep, defo did. Very minor though. Did Klich do something similar to Grealish, kind of leaned his fist into his face while Grealish was on the ground.

You can see how annoying both players would be to opposing team!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭pavb2

Did anyone else think the grass was a bit too short tonight?

Patser wrote: »

Ah gotcha, thanks for providing the context! The reaction makes more sense now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Guys I understand the Bamford dislike (from a villa point of view) but seriously Grealish does a lot worse and more often. Can we al least agree on that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Nakamba for Barkley and trying to build some sort of defensive structure probably should have happened but easier to say in retrospect. Think we've just been done by a well drilled team, they murdered Cash all night despite him personally not doing a whole heap wrong.

It'll be a familiar sight in the games we lose this season we don't have the squad to make meaningful changes. Watkins and Barkley were both dreadful which didn't help. Hopefully we see a big reaction against Southampton

Nakamba for Barkley and trying to build some sort of defensive structure probably should have happened but easier to say in retrospect. Think we've just been done by a well drilled team, they murdered Cash all night despite him personally not doing a whole heap wrong.

It'll be a familiar sight in the games we lose this season we don't have the squad to make meaningful changes. Watkins and Barkley were both dreadful which didn't help. Hopefully we see a big reaction against Southampton

I dunno about the substitution one there being a thing you’d look in retrospect. He was truly appalling. A 2/10 at best performance.

Guys I understand the Bamford dislike (from a villa point of view) but seriously Grealish does a lot worse and more often. Can we al least agree on that?

No.

Everton losing means that with our game in hand, the title is still in our own hands to win:pac:

• Advertisement

I see we're finally resurfacing after Friday night. It's mad to think that we're almost no worse off despite the defeat.

Panrich wrote: »
    I see we're finally resurfacing after Friday night. It's mad to think that we're almost no worse off despite the defeat.

Unfortunately we have Southampton next week who looked like Bayern today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

CSF wrote: »
    Unfortunately we have Southampton next week who looked like Bayern today.

Did So'ton play with a high line in defense?

We certainly did well against Liverpool who defend like that.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Did So'ton play with a high line in defense?

We certainly did well against Liverpool who defend like that.

Not as recklessly as they have in some other games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Heaton made his return today in a behind closed doors friendly against West Brom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Heaton made his return today in a behind closed doors friendly against West Brom

3-1 win, Neil Taylor, Davis and Traore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Another game PPV :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭LeBash

Another game PPV :(

And......our next game as well. 3 in a row is an absolute joke. I got a now tv sports pack offer thinking I'd catch most of the games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Will teams outside the top 6 end up on PPV more? Any evidence so far?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Villa were bottom of the PPV table I saw on BBC (most times on PPV) and Everton were top, £0 to watch them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement