Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

The midfield is a disgrace, it's clearly not working, same with Leeds game. McGinn nowhere to be seen again.

Absolutely embarrassing.

Starting to think that Liverpool result was the worst thing that could happen us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

3 nil from 3 free kicks, horrendous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Six goals conceded at home in the last 90 minutes. Defensive solidity has gone out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Hourihane for McGinn?

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭TheDenialTwist

Very difficult to watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Southampton haven't made a chance from open play that I can think of.

Two bad free kicks to give away and punished. Wall poor for the first Ward Prowse goal. Mings past post in the wall. He's our tallest player. Poor really.

Barkley and Grealish only want to pass to each other like u12 players. Both need a kick up the arse.

We've been absolutely dire. Watkins spending more time out wide. Get in the bloody box man.

As it stands currently Saints will go into 3rd and we'll drop to 7th.

I'm already ill enough, this isn't helping

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

JPA wrote: »
    3 nil from 3 free kicks, horrendous.

And a 4th chalked off for a very marginal offside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Panrich wrote: »
    Hourihane for McGinn?

Nakamba. Hourihane would be more of the same. I think we’re seeing more from Smith that he is so high ceiling/really low floor. He is capable of so much good stuff but he’s also so f*cking flawed.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭AVFC.Stephen

rebelomar wrote: »
    Southampton haven't made a chance from open play that I can think of.

Two bad free kicks to give away and punished. Wall poor for the first Ward Prowse goal. Mings past post in the wall. He's our tallest player. Poor really.

Barkley and Grealish only want to pass to each other like u12 players. Both need a kick up the arse.

We've been absolutely dire. Watkins spending more time out wide. Get in the bloody box man.

This^^^^^ +1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Team is set up to play counter attacking football against open attacking teams, with Watkins speed, Grealish's guile and the athleticism of Barkley, McGinn and Trez.

They have no clue how to patiently break down an organised team also happy to counter, and instead are all getting caught out too far up pitch when our attack peters out, and then our midfield and defence is swamped. Our FBs are getting no protection and Luiz cannot do everything. Drop McGinn or Barkley, or tell 1 to stay back when other goes forward or something- but this plan a isn't working, lets try even more plan a is awful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Awful half and the naivety to give two free kicks away playing against Ward-Prowse makes it even worse. I don't know why the team reverted to paniced long balls so often this half, it doesn't give Watkins much of a chance. I think the midfield moves out of position too often, Barkley caught too forward a few times. Still not sure what the right balance and positioning in midfield is at the moment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Jaysus this season is confusing. Maybe a few other teams can say this but I've no idea are we good or completely sh!te.

If I was Nakamba I would be knocking on Smith's door as the side need to be more solid defensively. Yeah Barkley, Grealish and Co. can be great going forward but not if they have no defensive base to play off. If Nakamba isn't the answer then an answer needs to be found in January. I like Luiz but he isn't a enough defensively and needs help in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

We haven't been that bad defensively as stupid as that sounds, the "dangerous" freekicks always strikes me as a bit of a fallacy, players rarely score from a freekick. Case in point that's freekick expert Ward Prowse 7th and 8th ever freekick goal.

Toothless going forward is a bigger concern no composure

Feck it, 2 great saves against us in seconds. Team now suddenly playing with speed

FFS :(

4-0 down

Goal of the season contender

I'm blaming Barkley again, he got a knock down from Watkins, lost it softly and watched them break

Great finish all the same

• Advertisement

No way should team have been overrun on switch of possession that easy. Great goal but terrible brittleness to allow them get that far so quick.

After 10 games it will make interesting reading. Should now our true status in the league by then.

Unless Smith can improve us tactically again we could be in trouble again.

It's very worrying

Why no changes at half time?
    Pattern of play hasn't changed.

All defensive structure is gone, Luiz is actually pushing up now to help attack. Even Mings going up more.

Instead of solving the problems we're adding to them. I suppose at 4-0 down it's too late to sort defence

GOAL

It's performances like this where the players and management should have a weeks salary paid to charity instead.

This is absolutely spineless, cowardly and totally unacceptable for the second game in a row.

Leeds and Southampton are hardly world beaters.

It's shameful Smith hasn't learned from the mistakes of the Leeds game.

• Advertisement

4-1 Mings

Maybe absolute desperation attack will work

I think I'd use the word 'stupid' for how the team plays at times. Ultimately it comes down to the manager how we play but I think players often make just stupid decisions in possession too that causes the team problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭basillarkin

People on about traroe and his work ethic but Ross is terrible. Ings passed out his full back earlier tracking back and blocked a jack cross. Villa dont seem to have that desire

Elmo on now

Elmo on now

All Egyptian right wing

• Advertisement

Watkins is falling into the same trap as Samatta and co last season.

Spending too much bloody time out wide instead of leading the attack and positioning himself between the width of the box.

I understand at times it's frustrating for our striker. Our play is very slow. Grealish while our best player by a mile needs to do things quicker at times...not try be so precise...let the ball in the box...Get a shot away etc. When he speeds things up we play much better.

What a block from the Southampton CB, Mings should be taking notes.

You know the squad lacks depth when Trez and Elmo are the first two options from the bench.

Jack getting boxed into the left corner flag too much.

Offside

rebelomar wrote: »
    Watkins is falling into the same trap as Samatta and co last season.

Spending too much bloody time out wide instead of leading the attack and positioning himself between the width of the box.

I understand at times it's frustrating for our striker. Our play is very slow. Grealish while our best player by a mile needs to do things quicker at times...not try be so precise...let the ball in the box...Get a shot away etc. When he speeds things up we play much better.

In fairness to Watkins, isn't he only playing the role of a striker a year? He's not a natural striker, I feel sorry for him, he gets very few chances and his confidence is starting to erode. Must be very frustrating for him.

Mc carthy on fire

Watkins taking short comers. WTF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Trez had had 3 shots saved

Corner to Saints

Surely Nakamba has to be played as a DM instead of McGinn next game.

Play both him and Luis as DMs

Trez should start again.

Yes!!! Watkins

• Advertisement

Too late now anyway :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Everytime grealish gets in box to shot he does exact same thing

Grealish GOAL

Well we won the 2nd half

So to counter all the negative reactions at ht. We lost to 2 great free kicks and a world class finish, meanwhile poor Trez could have a hattrick with some luck, Mings a 2nd, Grealish also close. So the team did show some heart and step up in the 2nd half

4-3

4-3....

We couldn't could we......

Edit. No

All over 4-3

Patser wrote: »
    4-3....

We couldn't could we......

No

At least there's some positives to take towards the end.
    It shouldn't take 4-0 down for us to wake up.
    Southampton obviously took their foot off the gas.
    Glad Watkins got on the scoresheet, didn't think he usually takes penalties.

• Advertisement

Deceptive scoreline if you just checked the result.

Advertisement