Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Forgot to mention Cash earlier. I thought he was excellent, gives so much energy that side that seems to ripple throughout the team when he starts a move again. He'll have his up and down games as a young right back, but I've really liked the look of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Savage performance and coule have well scored more.

Not to take the polish off it. They system worked last night well. Arsenal are attacking team and tbf looked incredibly flat . They weren't at he races and we capitalised.

However what's plan B when the opposition isn't flat and are defending in numbers. We will see plenty of that, so far Smith has no answers for it. And appears unwilling to make changes. In fact be ploughed on in previous 2 games with the same squad hoping to break the back of the game to no success , much like last night at 1-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Yeah I do worry about the lack of changes and ability to change approach during the game.

Having said that, inconsistency in selection last year before lockdown was one of our biggest problems. I’d say for the first 30 games of the season we put the same team out twice. We didn’t know our best cb partnership, full backs rotated constantly. Midfield three chopping and changing. Weekly toss of a coin between Trez or Anwar.

We now know our best team and you can see the improvements it’s making... but are we becoming over reliant on them and open to being exposed if plan A doesn’t work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Yep, I can't see the logic in not giving Hourihane and Davis a run out last night, even for final 5 minutes and if only to run down clock slightly. I mean at 3-0 up, it's very unlikely to affect the result. Ok Watkins was on a hattrick, so maybe keep him in, but Hourihane could have some in for Barkley or McGinn to give them a rest and to get some game time. Similarly Nakamba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Found it bizarre Conor didn't get on for a few mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Nakamba or Hourihane could have got 15 minutes last night.
    But we have one game a week until Christmas, so Smith might be just thinking of maximising our form right now, nobody needs a rest, but players on the bench do need game time.

That Barkley assist was unreal, with no Villa player in the box, it still could have went in, very hard to defend that.

JPA wrote: »
    But we have one game a week until Christmas, so Smith might be just thinking of maximising our form right now, nobody needs a rest, but players on the bench do need game time.

The problem is if there's an injury, suddenly a player that hasn't played in months is now back in the team, trying to fit into a previously tight unit

Patser wrote: »
    The problem is if there's an injury, suddenly a player that hasn't played in months is now back in the team, trying to fit into a previously tight unit

Yes, I said players need game time.

I don't think Smith trusts the subs, he's found a winning formula and won't change it unless forced to.

That Barkley assist was unreal, with no Villa player in the box, it still could have went in, very hard to defend that.

Preferred the Grealish 3rd myself, always thought Bellerin was quick, he wasn't able to keep up with Jack and Jack was running with the ball, to then have the strength to knock Bellerin away from the ball as he got close and release the perfect pass for Watkins was exquisite, good to see Barkley get into the position for the 3rd, if Watkins had to square it, Barkley was un-marked for a tap in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

As Villa fan Tom Hanks' mama used to say life is like a Villa performance, you never know what your gonna get.

Cash looks a bargain, really impressed by him so far this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yes, I said players need game time.

I don't think Smith trusts the subs, he's found a winning formula and won't change it unless forced to.

That's the problem through we had two games prior to this one where he should have been forced to change it , in game. That doesn't mean moving away from the tight starting team. It means adapting when needed. So far refused to do that this season even when the warning lights are flashing and firing for 15 minutes.

He needs to work on that and coupled with that he needs to trust the subs or we will be shagged with an injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Yes Arsenal weren't great last night but Villa have often played under par bigger teams in the past and still been well beaten, part of Arsenal not getting their game going was because of Villa.

Injuries could become a problem if they happen but I think it's just trying to have a consistency of team at the moment. Our starting eleven in games last season changed game to game and it probably had a detrimental effect on building something but it was needs must then, this season is different. The team is still another season away from having a really competitive squad imo, now that the starting eleven is just getting that quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

When is Wesley due back? I'm wondering if he is Smith's plan B, but he just can't use it yet.

I can see how if our attack isn't firing, putting on Wesley, with Watkins playing along side him, would give a different option. Hopefully we wouldn't revert to long ball completely, but might give the opposition something to think about.

When is Wesley due back? I'm wondering if he is Smith's plan B, but he just can't use it yet.

I can see how if our attack isn't firing, putting on Wesley, with Watkins playing along side him, would give a different option. Hopefully we wouldn't revert to long ball completely, but might give the opposition something to think about.

Honestly I think that it his plan B especially seeing how Watkins can also play on the wings / likes to drift out that way while Wes would be more of a hold up / target man type.

Def look forward to Wesley's return...However I do fear that plan B is an offensive plan B and often when Villa need to change things up it is in terms of becoming more defensively sound in the center of the park in stead of becoming more dangerous up front.

Don't think there is a definite timeline on his return but not expected to be available for selection until January was the last line I heard/saw on it at which point he will have been out for a full 12 months

Just enjoying the goals from last night again, they're just so good. Extreme intricate play, long ball 1 touch goal, counter attack.... It's not like Liverpool and the 3 deflections, dodgy keeper moments.

McGinns '4th' would also have been a beauty

Honestly I think that it his plan B especially seeing how Watkins can also play on the wings / likes to drift out that way while Wes would be more of a hold up / target man type.

Def look forward to Wesley's return...However I do fear that plan B is an offensive plan B and often when Villa need to change things up it is in terms of becoming more defensively sound in the center of the park in stead of becoming more dangerous up front.

Don't think there is a definite timeline on his return but not expected to be available for selection until January was the last line I heard/saw on it at which point he will have been out for a full 12 months

I'm not sure we need a massively different defensive plan B. Maybe a Plan A.2. Smith needs to recognize when we are having an off game (eg Leeds) and have Barkley and McGinn sit in deep with Luiz and not get overrun. Then you give yourself and chance of a draw, and you never know, maybe even pick off a chance up front and snatch a win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

After this international break, Hourihane will probably have played 7 games for Ireland so far this season so I wouldn't be as worried about him but your point is still valid about use of subs

rebelomar wrote: »
    After this international break, Hourihane will probably have played 7 games for Ireland so far this season so I wouldn't be as worried about him but your point is still valid about use of subs

It's getting used to your new team mates as much as anything, sometimes it'll take match time, hard to get that in training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Villa seem to have learnt where the goal is this season. And there's more than one person scoring. How long did it take them to get to 18 goals last season? It feels like they've scored more goals since the restart than they did last season ahead of the shutdown.

Conor and Jack both put in typical performances of them tonight.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Esse85 wrote: »
    Conor and Jack both put in typical performances of them tonight.

Anonymous and excellent?

Anonymous and excellent?

Exactly.

Anyone know how McGinn played, I know he came off before FT

Exactly.

Anyone know how McGinn played, I know he came off before FT

Based on reports he was very good. 'Covered every blade of grass', etc. Looks like he was taken off as he was gassed.

I see Scotland have more games on the 15th (sunday) and the 18th (wednesday) before we play Brighton on the Saturday. Hopefully he doesn't play both of those games.

Douglas Luiz came off at HT in the Brazil win today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Uh oh

From what I can determine it was a tactical decision, and he was on a yellow.

Grealish was outstanding in the 2nd half vs Belgium tonight, best player on the pitch tonight. Ran the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Grealish was outstanding in the 2nd half vs Belgium tonight, best player on the pitch tonight. Ran the show.

He has been a world class player for maybe a year. Its just the fact he was playing with a lot of average players at villa as well as the fact nobody bothers to pay attention to villa in the English media that his true abilities have been overlooked until recently.

Easily the most exciting player ive ever watched playing in a team i support (villa and Ireland being my only 2 teams) and possibly will end up being villas greatest player ever.

We will struggle to keep him for sure now as all the big boys in the world will come looking for him, but at least now we will get his true worth which in today's crazy market is well in excess of 100 million pounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Easily over 100 mil now. England regular puts 50 mil on these days. The money is no good though. Who would we spend it on and who would be willing to come of note after hes left?

I doubt we will keep him forever but if we can get 2 solid place finishes in the PL with him, it would be easier to spend that cash on good players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭chases0102

Reports that City will trigger Luiz buy back clause

England's best player against the no 1 ranked team in the world. In his 2nd start.

Will be interesting you see what England do with Sterling and Rashford available.

England's best player against the no 1 ranked team in the world. In his 2nd start.

Will be interesting you see what England do with Sterling and Rashford available.

And De Bruyne barely got a mention, it was all about the Jack Grealish show today. Delighted for the guy.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It will probably definitely be his last season then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

chases0102 wrote: »
    Reports that City will trigger Luiz buy back clause

They’d be silly not to really. The optimistic Part of me hopes he might repay the faith Villa showed him and reject the move. He seems happy here, playing regularly, team on the up, he’s broken into Brazil team... if villa throw him a bumper contract it could be enough. He’s still young so still plenty of time for a big move or two.

Home to Brighton at 3pm
    Be interested to see how Grealish and Mings perform given their international performances, bar scoring a goal, it really couldn't of went any better for Jack.
    Hourihane showed us with Ireland exactly why he should be nowhere near our first team and Nakamba has to be the first choice back up ahead of Conor.

McGinn will also be on a high, not sure how he played but great achievement from Scotland.

We know Trez was among the goals while away too.

I just hope the international success hasn't gotten to the lads heads and they are able to reproduce the form that got them into the squads in the first place.

I think everyone is quiet here afraid of being confident of a win as that’s exactly when things go sideways for Villa in such games.

Wouldn’t blame anyone for expecting something out of this game though. Not because we are much better than Brighton but because generally they are a team that try to play good football and come at sides and I think Villa can do better against sides who play such open football.

Hopefully the likes of Luiz aren’t exhausted after international travel and are fit and raring to go.

Anyone know will Traore be in the squad, did he play internationally or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Unchanged

Traore on bench.

• Advertisement

The last few years have done a number on me... As the players come out the announcer on my feed says that Villa have already beaten Liverpool, Arsenal and Leicester and still I can 100% see Brighton winning today. Jaysus let's hope this really is a new Villa. A win today and we really are flying this season

C'mon the Villa!

Sooooo all the recent critcism of Hourihane.... and looks like he'll be on with Barkley holding hamstring after 1 minute

Edit: Interesting Traore chosen instead of Hourihane

Grealish going central? Or just Traore going there I suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Disgraceful goal to give away.

Where the feck was the defence!"!!!!!!!!

How can a player have a 60 yard unchallenged run at goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

There's a high line and there's letting there striker be the last man 10 yards inside his own half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

That was ridiculous.

All over them and one poxy break. So stupid.

Horrible deja vu feeling here of Southampton and Leeds, where we're being asked to attack and can't break them but are too open in defence

• Advertisement

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh jesus....... Trez, just....just......just....wtf

Advertisement