Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2020 fitness goals

• 01-01-2020 3:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

So boardsies, what are your 2020 fitness goals?

Mine are:
    - shed the last 5kg (and the christmas weight)
    - get my back healthy again with more mobility and stretching work

Not much but it's a start!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Well in 2019 I finally broke the sub 20% body fat goal I've had and finished at 18.4 (and I kept the lean body mass I had at 20). So 16% is my new goal.

And to do an unassisted chin up. I'm light enough, just not strong enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Like last year...to have a surgeon tell me I can continue squatting and then compete.

Since I now qualify for Masters, because I'll be 40 this year, it would be cool to do Masters Nationals.

But first and foremost that my hip is ok to continue squatting.

Harder better faster stronger

Ok I'll give a serious answer
    Run 10km again
    Bench 65kg+ plz
    Squat PR plz
    Deadlift pr but i hate deadlifts so whatevs
    Drop 10kg
    Don't drop plates on my foot again
    Keep showing up
    Maybe compete again

bluewolf wrote: »
    Harder better faster stronger

Daft Punk added to the playlist now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

To get back to lifting with some consistency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

To lose the weight I've piled on since quitting smoking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Cushtie

To make a start...... Again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Clockpics

colm_c wrote: »
    So boardsies, what are your 2020 fitness goals?

Mine are:
    - shed the last 5kg (and the christmas weight)
    - get my back healthy again with more mobility and stretching work

Not much but it's a start!

They are big goals don't underestimate them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Last year I set a really big one which was run a marathon, but it didn't happen.
    However I did do a half marathon and I did go from 118kgs to 100kgs, which while still heavy is a weight suited to me I've built up quite a bit of muscle mass through weight tree training for rugby. Happy to stay at 100 kgs to be honest.
    If I hadn't set the marathon goal I wouldn't have done half marathon.
    This year I'm getting married so marathon not on the agenda but what I am aiming for is to consistently do some 5k and 10k runs and drop my times in both.

Run a 10k and really look forward to my runs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭supermouse

Dive headfirst into Movement culture thru Ido Portal and his team. Even consecrating signing up for their 1:1!
    Handstand holds over 30sec a regular.
    Multi day hike in Finland - national park yet to be decided!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,210 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

To get back to football and a bit of jogging.

Been hampered for last 12 months with knee problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Hard to make accurate goals when rugby has been the main goal but this might be my last season playing seriously so:
    • Lose 5kg and be at a better body fat percentage
    • Eat a lot cleaner
    • Deadlift 250 - most I've pulled is 220 but that wasn't a 1RM it's just the most that fits on the bar at the current gym.
    • Squat 200 - know idea where this is at the moment haven't trained back squat consistently since the summer when e1rm was 180ish
    • Strict press 95 - have done 85 a few times
    • Bench more - have been stagnant for ages but finally hitting rep maxes at least on inverted juggernaut
    • Run something stupidly challenging like Building the Monolith, Deep Water or Alsruhe's Mass Builder to completion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

Mine is to lose 100lbs, I have had binge eating disorder for 8 years and it is humiliating being a fat man. I am not sure I could ever change my binge eating habits for good but my goal is to cut it down to the weekend instead of every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Hard to make accurate goals when rugby has been the main goal but this might be my last season playing seriously so:
    • Lose 5kg and be at a better body fat percentage
    • Eat a lot cleaner
    • Deadlift 250 - most I've pulled is 220 but that wasn't a 1RM it's just the most that fits on the bar at the current gym.
    • Squat 200 - know idea where this is at the moment haven't trained back squat consistently since the summer when e1rm was 180ish
    • Strict press 95 - have done 85 a few times
    • Bench more - have been stagnant for ages but finally hitting rep maxes at least on inverted juggernaut
    • Run something stupidly challenging like Building the Monolith, Deep Water or Alsruhe's Mass Builder to completion.

Squat 200kg... wow that is some target

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Phil.x

To be pain free in my shoulder after injuring it 7 months ago after working upto a 60kg warm up bench, multiple physio, mri and steroid injection still painful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Lose 11lbs (already lost 14lbs in the past 4 months)
    Really love seeing the muscle I have built since then too, and would love to build upon that, particularly in my lower body and abs. I can already see some results in my upper body that I'm really happy about.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I have a few too...

* To finally put on a t-shirt that is tight in the chest and loose in the tummy
    * To comfortably be able to do 3 sets of pull ups without resistance bands. (Im getting close to it and am excited. I have never done a proper set of pull ups in my life
    * To have someone in my gym mistake me as the PT and my PT as my client!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

the last few months of 2019 say fitness take a back seat a bit so an immediate goal is lose 6kg.

also want to do 3+ bjj competitions
    at least one mma fight.

and keep my strength where it is or improve a bit I'll be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

ittakestwo wrote: »
    Squat 200kg... wow that is some target

It's in or around two times bodyweight which I think should be very achievable for any non morbidly obese man with a couple of years consistent training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Some minor ones, be able to do unassisted dips and strict pull ups. Sub 8min for 2000m rower, and what might sounds like a quirky one, be able to grip pinch carry 30kg, currently can carry a 15kg bumper plate with 7.5kg added.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭bladespin

Hit at least 240 days training this year.

10% bf is the main goal for mid way.

Best of luck all!

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Patsy167

That time of year again.

Rather than focusing on the obvious limitations and how goals at the start of the year were not met, what will be making the highlights reel for you?

Probably hit every possible state this year - incredibly motivated/unmotivated, into and back out of shape (Damn you, banana bread!), loving/hating being away from gym.

For myself:

- Most walking miles clocked
    - Improved form on some of the body-weight exercises - parallel Dips and single leg Bulgarian split squats

Being able to walk without pain again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

well this time last year i gave up the booze and got back running a few times a week,
    i'm now 2 stone lighter but would love to get back to the swimming pool and gym, so that'll be my target once the pandemic is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Being able to walk without pain again.

Yikes, that really does focus the mind. Fingers crossed for a quick recovery.

Patsy167 wrote: »
    Yikes, that really does focus the mind. Fingers crossed for a quick recovery.

In some ways it sounds more dramatic than it is but May Bank Holiday I was in a lot of discomfort 3km into a walk and hobbled home. I just have a shítty hip that I might well just get replaced.

And THAT would be The Great Reset :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭bladespin

bladespin wrote: »
    Hit at least 240 days training this year.

10% bf is the main goal for mid way.

Best of luck all!

Well that didn't exactly go to plan :rolleyes:

On target for 186 training days and around the same margin off the 10& goal, oh well, hopefully 2021 etc etc.

GWS Alf

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

bladespin wrote: »
    Well that didn't exactly go to plan :rolleyes:

On target for 186 training days and around the same margin off the 10& goal, oh well, hopefully 2021 etc etc.

GWS Alf

Cheers fella. I'm grand. A lot has improved but I might just be walking to stand still unless I take action.

But I'm ok as it stands :)

• Advertisement

Run a 10k and really look forward to my runs.

I actually did it.

Will have to do a half marathon in 2021 so.

Advertisement