If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New AV Receiver on a budget!

Options
  • 01-01-2020 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Happy New Year! I'm currently looking to upgrade my AV receiver in the next month. I've got an old Yamaha RXV359. It's served me well, but has no HDMI inputs and I'm struggling with the likes of Netflix to get surround sound through optical.

With that in mind I'm looking at the Denon AVRX250BT or possibly stretching to one of the lower end Atmos receivers, e.g. the Sony STRDH790. I'll be looking to upgrade my TV in the next year or two as well (currently got a Panasonic TX-P50G10B) so I want something that is relatively future proof in terms of the surround formats it supports and connections etc.

Would you know should either of the above work OK with my existing speaker package, linked below? Or have you any other recommendations? Not against open-box/clearance items either.

https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/speaker_systems/ns-p110/specs.html#product-tabs

Thanks a million

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Hi folks,

Happy New Year! I'm currently looking to upgrade my AV receiver in the next month. I've got an old Yamaha RXV359. It's served me well, but has no HDMI inputs and I'm struggling with the likes of Netflix to get surround sound through optical.

With that in mind I'm looking at the Denon AVRX250BT or possibly stretching to one of the lower end Atmos receivers, e.g. the Sony STRDH790. I'll be looking to upgrade my TV in the next year or two as well (currently got a Panasonic TX-P50G10B) so I want something that is relatively future proof in terms of the surround formats it supports and connections etc.

Would you know should either of the above work OK with my existing speaker package, linked below? Or have you any other recommendations? Not against open-box/clearance items either.

https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/speaker_systems/ns-p110/specs.html#product-tabs

Thanks a million
    Hi spongerobinson,

Thanks for the post!

The Sony SRDH790 would be a good amp to go for as it sounds great but also gives you the option of Atmos down the line if you did want to upgrade. It also has DTS:X and 4K passthrough.

The Yamaha satellite speakers will work no problem but I can't see if the subwoofer is active or passive. If it runs off speaker cable you would need to upgrade your sub but if it has it's own power supply it'll work no problem!

Let me know what you think.

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

Thanks for getting back to me Dave,

Will the speakers be OK with the Denon too? Apart from Atmos and DTS:X, they should both pretty much support the same audio standards? 

EDIT: Oh and I should have added, my existing sub is self-powered via mains, and connected with coax, so it should be OK.

Thanks.

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Thanks for getting back to me Dave,

Will the speakers be OK with the Denon too? Apart from Atmos and DTS:X, they should both pretty much support the same audio standards? 

EDIT: Oh and I should have added, my existing sub is self-powered via mains, and connected with coax, so it should be OK.

Thanks.
    Hi Songerobinson.

The Yamaha speakers including the subwoofer will connect up to the Sony 790 with no issues.

Hi lads - I'm back again!

Been looking into this some more and have also come across the Yamaha RXV585 and Pioneer VSX933 on your site. 

Could I ask is there any movement on the price of any of the three receivers, and ask for the best price in both Euro and Sterling on the following, delivered to Meath:

Yamaha RXV585
    Pioneer VSX933
    Sony STRDH790

I hope to be putting in an order over the weekend, or early next week. Any problems with Revolut if paying in Sterling? Also, if you want to keep my huge discount a secret, feel free to PM :pac:

Thanks a million.

Hi lads - I'm back again!

Been looking into this some more and have also come across the Yamaha RXV585 and Pioneer VSX933 on your site. 

Could I ask is there any movement on the price of any of the three receivers, and ask for the best price in both Euro and Sterling on the following, delivered to Meath:

Yamaha RXV585
    Pioneer VSX933
    Sony STRDH790

I hope to be putting in an order over the weekend, or early next week. Any problems with Revolut if paying in Sterling? Also, if you want to keep my huge discount a secret, feel free to PM :pac:

Thanks a million.
    Hi spongerobinson,

Unfortunately my web prices would be the best I have on those amps at the moment as I have no movement on them!

The pricing would be:

Yamaha RXV585 - £279/349 euro (the Yamaha is only available to collect in store at the moment and can't be shipped)
    Pioneer VSX933 - £299/369 euro including shipping
    Sony STRDH790 - £289/339 euro including shipping

Let me know what you think!

Kind regards

David

• Advertisement

Thanks David.

I think I'm going to go for the Pioneer VSX933 - £299/369 euro including shipping. I'll pay in Sterling via Revolut. I was going to place the order online tonight, but the only delivery option is £6.99 to ROI. Do I need to order direct from you guys to get the shipping included in the overall price? Cheers.

Thanks David.

I think I'm going to go for the Pioneer VSX933 - £299/369 euro including shipping. I'll pay in Sterling via Revolut. I was going to place the order online tonight, but the only delivery option is £6.99 to ROI. Do I need to order direct from you guys to get the shipping included in the overall price? Cheers.
    Hey Spongerobinson.

To get the free shipping you can either drop us your contact number in a PM and we will call you to complete the order.

Or if you order online with the shipping we can refund back the £6.99 shipping to you straight away.

Let me know your thoughts.

Hey Spongerobinson.

To get the free shipping you can either drop us your contact number in a PM and we will call you to complete the order.

Or if you order online with the shipping we can refund back the £6.99 shipping to you straight away.

Hi Kenny,

I'll place the order online this evening or tomorrow and let you know when it's done. Thanks again.

Hey Spongerobinson.

Hi Kenny,

I'll place the order online this evening or tomorrow and let you know when it's done. Thanks again.
    No problem at all Spongerobinson.

Let me know if you have any issues.

Hey Spongerobinson.

Hi Kenny,

Order placed just now Kenny, if you can do the honours when you get a chance! I presume I'll get courier details next week? Thanks a million.

• Advertisement

Hey Spongerobinson.

Hi Kenny,

Order placed just now Kenny, if you can do the honours when you get a chance! I presume I'll get courier details next week? Thanks a million.
    Thanks for the order spongerobinson!

We'll get that processed for you and it'll be shipped at the start of the week. Our couriers will be in contact with delivery details but if you have any issues with the delivery please drop me a PM!

Hi lads,

Just wondering could you check on this one about the delivery being refunded. Got my order receipt through today and it shows 'TAKEN' for both the item and delivery price.

Thanks a million.

Hi lads,

Just wondering could you check on this one about the delivery being refunded. Got my order receipt through today and it shows 'TAKEN' for both the item and delivery price.

Thanks a million.
    Hi spongerobinson,

I have refunded your shipping charge directly to your card. It may take a few days for the money to appear back in your account.

Thanks again for the order!

Kind regards

David

Hi lads,

Thanks a million.
    Hi spongerobinson,

I have refunded your shipping charge directly to your card. It may take a few days for the money to appear back in your account.

Kind regards

David
    Thanks David,

Looking forward to receiving it! Already planning the next upgrade to a 4K TV and some Atmos speakers!!

Hi lads,

Thanks a million.
    Hi spongerobinson,

Kind regards

David
    Thanks David,

Looking forward to receiving it! Already planning the next upgrade to a 4K TV and some Atmos speakers!!
    It should be with you tomorrow!

Let me know what you think of it!

Hi lads,

Receiver came yesterday and I've done a quick basic set up this evening! Have to say on first impressions it seems noticeably better then the old Yamaha I was using. Still plenty of setup to be done, and hope to add a couple of height speakers soon. Thanks for the help with the purchase.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Thanks Spongerobinson,

Great to hear all going well - DO play around with it - it's always worth taking a little time initially to tailor the settings to suit the space and your preferences and it will repay you in the long run with far better sound..

Thanks again and thanks for the biz - it's really appreciated,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Hi lads - just ordered a pair of MINX MIN12 and brackets from the website to use for front heights - needed something quite discreet! Gotta be cheeky and ask if you have a few metres of spare speaker cable lying around that you could thrown in for a returning customer?! If not, don't worry! Thanks!

Hi lads - just ordered a pair of MINX MIN12 and brackets from the website to use for front heights - needed something quite discreet! Gotta be cheeky and ask if you have a few metres of spare speaker cable lying around that you could thrown in for a returning customer?! If not, don't worry! Thanks!
    Thanks for order Spongerobinson.

I'm sure I have 2 or 3 meters of cable I can add in with the order for you.

Thanks Kenny! Got my order receipt in earlier - looking forward to getting them all set up next week!

• Advertisement

Thanks Kenny! Got my order receipt in earlier - looking forward to getting them all set up next week!

DPD should have also texted you your tracking details.

Thanks again for the business, have a great weekend.

Thanks. No DPD tracking details as of yet - I didn't get them the last time until the morning of delivery either.

Thanks. No DPD tracking details as of yet - I didn't get them the last time until the morning of delivery either.
    Hey Spongerobinson.

I'll PM the tracking details to you now :)

Finally got to install these speakers lads! Have to say they are great - I don't even have any full Atmos content yet, but a good 5.1 track upmixed is great to listen to on them. For anybody else looking for discreet speakers to add to a system, I'd highly recommend these ones! Thanks for the help.

Finally got to install these speakers lads! Have to say they are great - I don't even have any full Atmos content yet, but a good 5.1 track upmixed is great to listen to on them. For anybody else looking for discreet speakers to add to a system, I'd highly recommend these ones! Thanks for the help.
    Thanks for the post spongerobinson!

It really is a fantastic system and I'm glad you're happy with it!

Let us know if you need anything else!

Kind regards

David

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.