Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIC and DMP to be commemorated this month

Options
  • 01-01-2020 4:31pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13

Apparently a ceremony is going to be held attended by the Minister for Justice and Garda Commissioner to comemorate members of the DMP (Dublin Metropolitan Police) and RIC (Royal Irish Constabulary) killed during the Irish Revolution.

Does anyone else think this is grotesque?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Apparently a ceremony is going to be held attended by the Minister for Justice and Garda Commissioner to comemorate members of the DMP (Dublin Metropolitan Police) and RIC (Royal Irish Constabulary) killed during the Irish Revolution.

Shouldn't this ceremony be held on the same day we commemorate the British agents killed on Bloody Sunday?

I have no problem remembering the thousands of Irishmen killed in the Great War who enlisted for political, economic or adventure reasons but this is going too far

• Registered Users Posts: 18,995 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Considering that they where Irish people why shouldn't we commemorate them? Picking the wrong side doesn't make them less Irish and in a war neither party has a moral high ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Del2005 wrote: »
    Considering that they where Irish people why shouldn't we commemorate them? Picking the wrong side doesn't make them less Irish and in a war neither party has a moral high ground.
    The Irish people made their wishes known in the 1918 election. Members of the R.I.C. and D.M.P. acted contrary to those wishes. The Republican leadership appealed to these Irishmen to quit in 1919 and support the Republic. Many did, others didnt and participated willingly in prolonging the war, roundng up suspects, assisting the Auxies and Tans

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

@edgware (nice English name, by the way), what is forgotten is that hundreds of thousands of Irish lives depended on the income from those police jobs and the Republicans knew that. Lives also depended on remittances and pensions from Irishmen previously or actively serving in the UK armed forces worldwide, so it was not an easy decision for an RIC or DMP person to suddenly quit and deprive their families of an income. Same with Civil Servants, the Royal Mail and countless other jobs that depended on the Empire. Quite often, there was no alternative income available, short of some menial agricultural job or factory job, which invariably paid less and offered worse conditions. The prospect of a future Republic where well-paying jobs would be plentiful,social conditions would improve and where the Irish would have a rightful place in the world were regarded as high fantasy. As for Republicans,many of their households were quite happy to accept remittances in the pound Sterling. Remember the old catcall? "Hates the Crown! Loves the half-crown".
    I'd have no issue with commemorating the RIC and DMP, especially when you consider how the Gardai were based on them and depended heavily on their corporate experience to get off the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Not at all.

If there's ever going to be any hopes of a United Ireland, it's going to be crucial to show that unionists and loyalists will be respected and treated as equal in unity.

It may be distasteful to those of a Republican persuasion but gestures like this offer a real example of inclusivity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Not at all.

If there's ever going to be any hopes of a United Ireland, it's going to be crucial to show that unionists and loyalists will be respected and treated as equal in unity.

It may be distasteful to those of a Republican persuasion but gestures like this offer a real example of inclusivity.

This, a thousand times! A true Republican wants a United Ireland, not a 'win'. The only way to successfully achieve that is to ensure all citizens of the country feel welcome and a part of that country. That means commemorating and celebrating all parts of our history, together.

We have far too many pseudo-Republicans in this country who hate 'the prods' and 'the Brits'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

They were collaborators and traitors. I celebrate only their death.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I've family members who served in RIC , a father and son , their names appear occasionally in historical journals and the odd newspaper report from courts.
    Both reached the rank of County Inspector with one passing away in the 1880s and the other in 1906.

One was prior to joining the RIC ,an officer in the British army and fought in the Napoleonic wars.

Their grave/headstone and career is documented as being of historical interest in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Yet their an ancesters walk amongst us.....

Many of them "traitors" plain old Dublin policemen on the beat who became the enemy overnight, courtesy of their Republican brothers & sisters who demanded a new State & a total break with our neighbors!

Sounds a bit like a hard Brexit, sadly with lots of death thrown in the mix :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,995 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Edgware wrote: »
    The Irish people made their wishes known in the 1918 election. Members of the R.I.C. and D.M.P. acted contrary to those wishes. The Republican leadership appealed to these Irishmen to quit in 1919 and support the Republic. Many did, others didnt and participated willingly in prolonging the war, roundng up suspects, assisting the Auxies and Tans

I'd like to see what decision you make when you have to decide on a job or your family dieing of hunger, there was no social welfare then, and maybe they believed that staying in the British Empire was good for Ireland.

As I said neither side has the high ground in a war.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Doesn't bother me, and if it helps to heal the wounds of the past then let it be.

Most people here don't see the past rear its ugly head too often, or not in your face but I would regularly enough.

As a member of the defence forces there are certain bars and certain area's along the border where I'd be advised not to venture into, because I'm still seen as a 'free state bastard'.

It used to happen more than it does now, but its still there.

As a country we've still got our scars and healing wounds. Let this one be healed and done with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Yet their an ancesters walk amongst us.....

Many of them "traitors" plain old Dublin policemen on the beat who became the enemy overnight, courtesy of their Republican brothers & sisters who demanded a new State & a total break with our neighbors!

Sounds a bit like a hard Brexit, sadly with lots of death thrown in the mix :(

Hardly a honest comparison, unless I missed the part where the EU carried out acts of genocide, ethnic and religious descrimination and economic exploitation against the UK.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Jaysus talk about peak snowflake! This is part of our past, what do you want to do hide it. We've done that with other parts of our history and that's worked out real well hasn't it.

The key word is commemorate not celebrate and as has already been stated if a united Ireland is a goal any of us want then we have to embrace our whole past and not the selective bits that make the OP feel comfortable with.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Blue shirts, Ted. blue shirts.

One assumes Macron will follows Leos brave lead and announce a commemoration for the Vichy regime.

I wonder if the defence forces will be apologizing for beating Noel Lemass to death and dumping his body up the mountains or tying prisoners to landmines. Or will the spirit of reconcilliation not stretch that far?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,519 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Bambi wrote: »
    Blue shirts, Ted. blue shirts.

One assumes Macron will follows Leos brave lead and announce a commemoration for the Vichy regime.

I wonder if the defence forces will be apologizing for beating Noel Lemass to death and dumping his body up the mountains or tying prisoners to landmines. Or will the spirit of reconcilliation not stretch that far?

Yep. The civil war commemorations are going to make some uncomfortable reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,519 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Also agree with the OP, while many in the RIC sided with the IRA and became garda afterwards, there were those in the DMC and RIC who actually helped the Auxiliaries and the Tans. That should not be commemorated. It be like the Germans holding a service for the Gestapo or the Stasi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

This is the problem with Ireland today

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

My great grandfather was in the DMP. He was, I guess, "nationalist" with a small n.

At the end of the day most were just doing their jobs as police officers.

A lot of people also did not care for the politics either way at the time.

How people misconstrue that as being for or against something is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It was the problem with Ireland 100 years ago, thankfully we sorted it out back then. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

The Bloody Sunday massacre of civilian spectators at Croke Park was perpetrated by the RIC. What other country in the world honours those who massacred its civilians to repress that country's freedom and independence?
    This ahistorical masochism has to end.

Like many posting I know of at least one distant relative who was in the RIC. I just don't believe in rewriting history to legitimise their membership of that explicitly and intentionally oppressive force.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Also agree with the OP, while many in the RIC sided with the IRA and became garda afterwards, there were those in the DMC and RIC who actually helped the Auxiliaries and the Tans. That should not be commemorated. It be like the Germans holding a service for the Gestapo or the Stasi.

Volkstrauertag - a commemoration of ALL who died in war and by oppressive governments.

If we don’t humanise all who died then the headbangers will try to dehumanise them and that only leads to further death.

And before anyone starts... have ancestors that were involved in opposing sides of the conflict: RIC and Old IRA.Simplifying our history into ‘them and us’ ignores the reality of Ireland at the time.

Wow, lots of talk in this thread about genocide, Nazis, Gestapo, oppression & massacre ......

The RIC & the DMP were neither Nazi's nor the Gestapo, they were in the most good honest law abiding Irish citizens, doing their job in good faith.

The IRA were no Saints...

Wow, lots of talk in this thread about genocide, Nazis, Gestapo, oppression & massacre ......

The RIC & the DMP were neither Nazi's nor the Gestapo, they were in the most good honest law abiding Irish citizens, doing their job in good faith.

They weren't Irish citizens as Ireland did not exist as a state to be a citizen of.
    They were willing British subjects who took an oath of loyalty to the crown.

They were not neighbourhood Gardai enforcing the law by consent and Peelian Principals.
    They were a force of Gendarmerie armed with rifles enforcing the rule of the crown through force and terror.

They performed evictions at gunpoint of starving tenants at the behest of absentee landlords.
    They baton charged the public, mainly mass goers, during the 1913 lockout and beat 2 to death while injuring 400 - 600.
    They perpetrated the Bloody Sunday Massacre.
    They accepted serving alongside the RIC Auxiliary Division, which challenged the Black and Tans for human rights abuses, during the war of Independence.

The nonsense you spouted has zero basis in fact and is a perfect example of the kind of ahistorical masochism I mentioned above.

Born and raised in Ireland & of Irish ancestry but not Irish!

Yes of course they were British subjects, as Ireland was part of the UK back then, but they were still our Kith & kin with Irish accents, heck as I've said before, their ancesters walk amongst us today, still with Irish accents...

Born and raised in Ireland & of Irish ancestry but not Irish!

Yes of course they were British subjects, as Ireland was part of the UK back then, but they were still out Kith & kin with Irish accents, heck as I've said before, their an ancesters walk amongs us today, still with Irish accents...

And why should we honour them and the terrible deeds they committed?
    Because they did it with a Kerry brogue?

Sorry but that doesn't cut it for me, or any reasonable person.

We can acknowledge that Irish people in the RIC attempted to serve the law within a corrupt system; we can sympathise with their decisions made in the face of limited choices; we can respect that many may have been good people; but we cannot deny that they served and defended an oppressive and corrupt system, responsible for the death of about 1 million Irish in the famine.

When we commemorate and honour those who served in that organisation, we honour that organisation and all of the deeds it committed. I do not want my country to honour the massacre and oppression of my countrymen. It is perverse, you would find no other country in the world that would even consider it.

What this is about is a bunch of Gardai whose great great grandaddies took an oath to the crown and now they want to rewrite this country's history for their own selfish desire to remove a stain from their family history. That is not right. This is all of our history, not just theirs to rewrite as it suits them.

Don't talk to me about rewriting history Mr Cranky!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭corner of hells

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    And why should we honour them and the terrible deeds they committed?
    Because they did it with a Kerry brogue?

Sorry but that doesn't cut it for me, or any reasonable person.

We can acknowledge that Irish people in the RIC attempted to serve the law within a corrupt system; we can sympathise with their decisions made in the face of limited choices; we can respect that many may have been good people; but we cannot deny that they served and defended an oppressive and corrupt system, responsible for the death of about 1 million Irish in the famine.

When we commemorate and honour those who served in that organisation, we honour that organisation and all of the deeds it committed. I do not want my country to honour the massacre and oppression of my countrymen. It is perverse, you would find no other country in the world that would even consider it.

What this is about is a bunch of Gardai whose great great grandaddies took an oath to the crown and now they want to rewrite this country's history for their own selfish desire to remove a stain from their family history. That is not right. This is all of our history, not just theirs to rewrite as it suits them.

Let's never move forward, we should always bear grudges forever and never want progression.

"Remove a stain from their family history ..." .
    There's no stain in my family history, a history I can put back to the 1300s all over the world.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    They weren't Irish citizens as Ireland did not exist as a state to be a citizen of.
    They were willing British subjects who took an oath of loyalty to the crown.

They were not neighbourhood Gardai enforcing the law by consent and Peelian Principals.
    They were a force of Gendarmerie armed with rifles enforcing the rule of the crown through force and terror.

They performed evictions at gunpoint of starving tenants at the behest of absentee landlords.
    They baton charged the public, mainly mass goers, during the 1913 lockout and beat 2 to death while injuring 400 - 600.
    They perpetrated the Bloody Sunday Massacre.
    They accepted serving alongside the RIC Auxiliary Division, which challenged the Black and Tans for human rights abuses, during the war of Independence.

The nonsense you spouted has zero basis in fact and is a perfect example of the kind of ahistorical masochism I mentioned above.

Thats a nice junior cert level bar stool history lesson.
    you realise most of the people who fought in the war of independence were british subjects by default and that many worked for the British civil service (including collins and other leaders)
    They were a police force just like any police force in the world at the time and less militaristic than most. Most didnt often carry firearms infact. Most just wanted a steady job with a pension.

the vast majority of RIC and DMP were more interested in protecting their familys and income post war of independence civil war and many moved across into AGS as they were the only ones who has professional experience.

More or less everything you said is incorrect ill informed and baseless but sure thats boards.ie for ya

:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

No just one person with a problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Yeah, it is going a bit far. They had to be taken on or freedom could not be achieved. As severe as it sounds the truth is that they deserved to be killed.

Advertisement