Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIC and DMP to be commemorated this month

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Odhinn wrote: »
    Much the same as my conclusion. It seems to have been dealt with now anyhoo.

Whatever about fundl, I don't think I have ever seen so much info about a single Irish history topic written since Charlie's u-turn. And all of it the real story of the RIC/DMP and what they did.
    A whole new generation informed. Not quite what he and HARP had in mind I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Whatever about fundl, I don't think I have ever seen so much info about a single Irish history topic written since Charlie's u-turn. And all of it the real story of the RIC/DMP and what they did.
    A whole new generation informed. Not quite what he and HARP had in mind I'd imagine.

Far more about some people's obsession with - the British Empire were baaad mkay - the the reality of the RIC/DMP are rightness of marking their part in Irish history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Far more about some people's obsession with - the British Empire were baaad mkay - the the reality of the RIC/DMP are rightness of marking their part in Irish history.
    What?

What?

Was trying to decipher it myself. Gave up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Doobie time is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,898 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

For someone who loves England and her empire and who ignores her crimes, I would have expected a higher standard of their language.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Surprised nobody has outed fundi as Boards resident loon maryishere/janfebmar yet!

Surprised nobody has outed fundi as Boards resident loon maryishere/janfebmar yet!

Probably because doing so can earn you a sanction.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

There should be some opinion polls in the next few days that will show if the RIC/Black and Tans commemoration has had an impact on FG's support.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Really ...

Negative impact?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Really ...

Negative impact?
    One can never tell with FG. :)

Regards...jmcc

jmcc wrote: »
    There should be some opinion polls in the next few days that will show if the RIC/Black and Tans commemoration has had an impact on FG's support.

Regards...jmcc

I think it will be a background thing with a lot of people.
    Next poll will show a fall I reckon, but they have been a succession of gaffs now so it will be hard to attribute to a single cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

All is quiet so time for a few snippets of a story taken from this very large and interesting archivehttp://www.militaryarchives.ie/collections/online-collections/bureau-of-military-history-1913-1921/bmhsearch/search.jsp?querystr=mccurtain

"Following the murder of Lord Mayor Thomas McCurtain in March,1920,the cork jury which sat subsequently gave the following verdict:
    We find that Ald Thomas McCurtain,Lord Mayor of Cork died from shock and haemorrhage caused by bullet wounds and that he was wilfully murdered under circumstances of the most callous brutality and that the murder was organised and carried out by the R.I.C. officially directed by the british government.We return a verdict of wilfil murder against David Lloyd George,Prime minister of england:Lord french,lord lieutenant of Ireland and district Inspector Swanzy and some unknown members of the R.I.C"

"There was no doubt that Inspector Swanzy was the prime instigator in this murder"

"Swanzy left cork under an assumed name shortly after the inquest and had moved to some unknown destination"

".......Whether by chance or good fortune,I removed the top label and found another label underneath marked "Swanzy,Lisburn".The information was sent to headquarters"

"I fired the first shot getting Swanzy in the head and Dick fired almost simultaneously into his body.It transpired at the inquest held later that either of the shots would have prove fatal"

"They were hostile and threatening.we fired a few shots in the air and made a fast run for our car.We had almost reached the car when a shot struck the wind screen............"
    BMH.WS0746.pdf

"When Swanzy approached our party i pointed him out and as had been agreed the first shot was fired from the Lord Mayor McCurtains own gun which had been brought up from Cork."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I think it will be a background thing with a lot of people.
    Next poll will show a fall I reckon, but they have been a succession of gaffs now so it will be hard to attribute to a single cause.

Gaffes. FG don't do gaffs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Shouldn't have opened that second bottle of the devils buttermilk!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

Gaffes. FG don't do gaffs ;)
    some fiction perhaps?

FG just received the bill for Charlie's little stunt.

A fall of 7 points in a month...ouch!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

And "Republicans" will receive the bill for their reaction to it in due course, as soft unionists are frightened back into their burrows.

feargale wrote: »
    And "Republicans" will receive the bill for their reaction to it in due course, as soft unionists are frightened back into their burrows.

FG's 'eat your greens children or you won't get the ice cream' arrogance blew back in their face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

This was an across the board f*** up.
    Chucky no la Tan-again messed with history. People were bemused, amused and irate.
    This was beyond any party line. Even members of FG had issues. I still can't really believe it tbh.
    If Flano loses his seat he'll likely 'retire'.
    Can't see Varadkar K.B.E sticking around either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

Absolute arrogance, sheer stupidity and ignorance. But then again this is Flanagan we’re talking about here. I wonder how many seats he’s cost them?

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

Can you link the poll please.

Marcos wrote: »
    Absolute arrogance, sheer stupidity and ignorance. But then again this is Flanagan we’re talking about here. I wonder how many seats he’s cost them?

Well there was a suggestion Bailey being unable to sit on a swing cost them a few local seats. I guess the attempt to remember the Tans might cost a few aswell.

This was an across the board f*** up.
    Chucky no la Tan-again messed with history. People were bemused, amused and irate.
    This was beyond any party line. Even members of FG had issues. I still can't really believe it tbh.

Exactly, talk about misjudging the national mood. It takes some doing to find an issue that unites opinion all across the spectrum against you, but Flanagan managed to find it.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Well let Charlie and Leo go up to East Belfast and commemorate up there if they're so concerned about the loyalist vote.

Well there was a suggestion Bailey being unable to sit on a swing cost them a few local seats. I guess the attempt to remember the Tans might cost a few aswell.

Yes people won’t forget Bailey, but that wasn’t a factor in the last Behaviour & Attitudes poll last month. The Black and Tans debacle caused this dramatic drop IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

As a tax payer, I demand FG refund the money they spent on the SCU please.

Or...

Just sack their PR guru

Marcos wrote: »
    Yes people won’t forget Bailey, but that wasn’t a factor in the last Behaviour & Attitudes poll last month. The Black and Tans debacle caused this dramatic drop IMO.

You would have to ask yourself how could a party in such a connected era such as now ,could be so out of touch with the electorate. Although arrogance was always FG's Achilles heal, by now you would imagine lessons would have been learnt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Done and dusted according to Maurice Manning in today's Sunday Times. A solo run that won't proceed any further.

Advertisement