Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIC and DMP to be commemorated this month

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

There was one up on the door of Cream Nightclub in the English centre in Playa Del Ingles in 2000.
    Cream Nightclub. Oh that would be very representative of British attitudes.
    No such signs on all the hospitals that welcomed Irish nurses in their thousands, schools that welcomed Irish teachers, factories and construction sites that welcomed Irish labour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Edgware wrote: »
    No such signs on all the hospitals that welcomed Irish nurses in their thousands, schools that welcomed Irish teachers, factories and construction sites that welcomed Irish labour.

Worked on a few sites in London myself, there was work but Irish people were not always made feel welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Edgware wrote: »

Like anti immigrant sentiment today, nobody said it was endemic in British society.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Worked on a few sites in London myself, there was work but Irish people were not always made feel welcome.

And?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

FG's 'eat your greens children or you won't get the ice cream' arrogance blew back in their face.

And when are you expecting the UI ice cream to materialise?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Sunday Times B&A and Irish Times Ipsos/MBRI opinion polls seem to show that something went very wrong for Varadkar, Flanagan and FG. Wonder what it was?

Regards...jmcc

FG just received the bill for Charlie's little stunt.

A fall of 7 points in a month...ouch!

Yes, done and dusted as the man said. If you have a few bob to spare I suggest you put it on a another confidence and supply government with the roles reversed, FF as the engine tugging the train and FG as the guard's wagon. That is in the unlikely but not impossible event of Greens, Labour, Soc Dems etc getting enough to prop up FF. Either way there will be little change. I would like to see an improvement for the aforementioned parties of the left that have a tradition of upholding the constitution and the rule of law.
    Charlie F's ill considered solo run will be forgotten in two days, in the South, that is. It will be remembered in the North by those you needed to achieve a United Ireland. Off you go now and open the next new thread about UI. And tell the other side about how you are going to respect their traditions in your New Jerusalem i.e. allow them to attend the church of their choice on Sunday. You are destined to have as much success as Dev had, whille employing the same thinking. A pity SF don't acknowledge that the UI project is best left to others. But then I suppose there are more votes to be gained in a fruitless journey that in the proclaimed destination.
    I just wish there were no commemorations at all in the coming decade. And as I said before, I would as soon commemorate RIC men as the the nazi thug who, with no orders or authorisation from higher authority, orphaned half a dozen children at Soloheadbeg.

feargale wrote: »
    Yes, done and dusted as the man said. If you have a few bob to spare I suggest you put it on a another confidence and supply government with the roles reversed, FF as the engine tugging the train and FG as the guard's wagon. That is in the unlikely but not impossible event of Greens, Labour, Soc Dems etc getting enough to prop up FF. Either way there will be little change. I would like to see an improvement for the aforementioned parties of the left that have a tradition of upholding the constitution and the rule of law.
    Charlie F's ill considered solo run will be forgotten in two days, in the South, that is. It will be remembered in the North by those you needed to achieve a United Ireland. Off you go now and open the next new thread about UI. And tell the other side about how you are going to respect their traditions in your New Jerusalem i.e. allow them to attend the church of their choice on Sunday. You are destined to have as much success as Dev had, whille employing the same thinking. A pity SF don't acknowledge that the UI project is best left to others. But then I suppose there are more votes to be gained in a fruitless journey that in the proclaimed destination.
    I just wish there were no commemorations at all in the coming decade. And as I said before, I would as soon commemorate RIC men as the the nazi thug who, with no orders or authorisation from higher authority, orphaned half a dozen children at Soloheadbeg.

Somebody had a bad day.

I never opened a thread on a UI ever. And I agree, a UI is not a sole project of SF. Never was.

Somebody had a bad day.

I never opened a thread on a UI ever. And I agree, a UI is not a sole project of SF. Never was.

Never said you did. But you talk lots about it. Not a bad day at all. But I'd have a better day if you didn't sidestep with such facility,

Never said you did.
    Off you go now and open the next new thread about UI.
    But you talk lots about it. Not a bad day at all. But I'd have a better day if you didn't sidestep with such facility,

Is it banned? Talking about it?

What 'sidestep' did I do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

jmcc wrote: »

Charlie is lucky. There was a time when you could be murdered for expressing opinions that were not shared by some. Guess who was doing the murdering. Anyway it seems democracy is alive and well in the Midlands. :rolleyes:

Charlie is lucky. There was a time when you could be murdered for expressing opinions that were not shared by some.

Yeh, there used to be a group called the RIC and DMP and their cuddly friends the Black and Tans and Auxillaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭buried

Charlie is lucky. There was a time when you could be murdered for expressing opinions that were not shared by some. Guess who was doing the murdering. Anyway it seems democracy is alive and well in the Midlands. :rolleyes:

You'll see it in full effect on the 9th of February

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Yeh, there used to be a group called the RIC and DMP and their cuddly friends the Black and Tans and Auxillaries.

And romper rooms in Belfast.

BTW, Charlie didn't just 'express an opinion', he tried to sneakily impose his opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

jmcc wrote: »

Not surprised, they haven't gone away, you know.

BTW, Charlie didn't just 'express an opinion', he tried to sneakily impose his opinion.

What does that mean? Some secrecy involved? A strange way tonget annopinion across. Anyway it seems to make a change from railroading one's opinion by less than subtle means.

• Advertisement

What does that mean? Some secrecy involved? A strange way tonget annopinion across. Anyway it seems to make a change from railroading one's opinion by less than subtle means.

He ignored the Expert Group advice and bypassed the All Party Committee.

Pretty sneakily then tried to hide behind the EG when it all went tits up.

buried wrote: »
    You'll see it in full effect on the 9th of February

Hopefully in fuller effect than the vandalising of posters. You will see my prediction a few posts back. You are welcome to dispute it. Heaven forbid that a certain party might suffer disappointment. Who would want to see the ballot box deserted for the armalite?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

We really need to get the gun back into Irish politics.

THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

I suppose we can take it from your post that you approve of what the Tipperary thug did at Soloheadbeg.
    And while you are at it, why don't you make an equally callous joke about the 186 children murdered in the more recent troubles, including those at Omagh and Warrington and the Maguire children?
    The fact that you are not the first of your persuasion to stoop so low doesn't make it better.

You are a disgrace, sir.

Is it banned? Talking about it?

Ah come on. What do you think? But some of us would prefer if those who express to desire it so much had words to say about it that might help to achieve it, rather than getting the goat of people whom they need to get onside. I assume that you stand by the GFA. You must therefore realise that UI requires a slice of unionism to hive off. That will not happen by rubbing their noses in it, by failing to acknowledge the need to give some, and by failing to acknowledge that it is not going to happen in a very short time, and by failing to do the money sums in advance. And in response to all of that, please spare me the bit about Catholics/Nationalists outbreeding the other side. That is as realistic as the expectation of Michael Collins and some of his contemporaries that NI because of its size would prove to be unviable. Did they ever hear of Gibraltar, Falkland or Ceuta?
    You can look at what you must or will concede to achieve UI or you can continue with your 26 county state which concedes nothing. When I hear people talking about how accomodating they would be in a UI, and in the next breath rejecting Commonwealth membership out of hand, something that those who struggled against imperialism in India and South Africa have no problem with, I wonder what on earth would they concede to Northern Protestants other than freedom of worship.
    Recent opinion polls indicated some shift in NI following Brexit, but as of now don't expect 100% of the movers to put their money where their mouths are when decision day comes. If you doubt that compare Scotland's pro-independence sentiment a month, two months, three months before the vote with what happened on decision day. Some people express views in anger that they don't follow through with.
    Nationalists are prone to self-delusion and wishful thinking. It serves them badly.

What 'sidestep' did I do?

I compared your stance to Dev's sterile policy. You neither agreed nor disagreed.
    I compared the RIC favourably with the nazi thug of Soloheadbeg. You neither agreed nor disagreed.

Ah come on. What do you think? But some of us would prefer if those who express to desire it so much had words to say about it that might help to achieve it, rather than getting the goat of people whom they need to get onside. I assume that you stand by the GFA. You must therefore realise that UI requires a slice of unionism to hive off. That will not happen by rubbing their noses in it, by failing to acknowledge the need to give some, and by failing to acknowledge that it is not going to happen in a very short time, and by failing to do the money sums in advance. And in response to all of that, please spare me the bit about Catholics/Nationalists outbreeding the other side. That is as realistic as the expectation of Michael Collins and some of his contemporaries that NI because of its size would prove to be unviable. Did they ever hear of Gibraltar, Falkland or Ceuta?
    You can look at what you must or will concede to achieve UI or you can continue with your 26 county state which concedes nothing. When I hear people talking about how accomodating they would be in a UI, and in the next breath rejecting Commonwealth membership out of hand, something that those who struggled against imperialism in India and South Africa have no problem with, I wonder what on earth would they concede to Northern Protestants other than freedom of worship.
    Recent opinion polls indicated some shift in NI following Brexit, but as of now don't expect 100% of the movers to put their money where their mouths are when decision day comes. If you doubt that compare Scotland's pro-independence sentiment a month, two months, three months before the vote with what happened on decision day. Some people express views in anger that they don't follow through with.
    Nationalists are prone to self-delusion and wishful thinking. It serves them badly.

What have I said that represents 'self delusion'?
    I am fully prepared to engage with unionists and make concessions.
    What I am not prepared to do is tell lies or lie to them, in order to appease them.
    I compared your stance to Dev's sterile policy. You neither agreed nor disagreed.
    I compared the RIC favourably with the nazi thug of Soloheadbeg. You neither agreed nor disagreed.

Knock yourself out comparing. Why would I have to comment on them?

I compared the RIC favourably with the nazi thug of Soloheadbeg.

A rather glaring case of hindsight bias on your part here. Drexler's Nazi party was only in existence a couple of weeks by the time of Soloheadbeg so I'm pretty sure Breen hadn't heard of them at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

I suppose we can take it from your post that you approve of what the Tipperary thug did at Soloheadbeg.

The Event at Soloheadbeg was a wake up call to the Irish members of the R.I.C to drop their weapons, british loyalty and stop being a traitor to your fellow countrymen.

Of all the men who took up arms for the freedom of their land
    There's one indeed who sowed the seed for victory's final stand
    A son of Tipperary--he's held in high esteem
    He was born and reared in Solohead and his name it is Dan Breen.

Along with Sean Tracy, they formed a steadfast band
    They were prepared to do or die to free their native land
    By mountain side and heather glen, through many a valley free,
    The tans they fled, they were in dread with meeting with Dan Breen

His deeds of courage and renown will live forever more
    Near Solohead and Aherlow and 'round by Galtee Mor
    He was fearless in the face of death and the story still lives on,
    He saved Sean Hogan from the tans at the Station Of Knocklong.

When all this land once more is free and it surely will some day
    And we'll remember men who fought in many a bloody fray
    Those men whose smoldering bones do lie beneath our sod of Green
    In letters bold inscribed in gold will write the name Dan Breen.
    In letters bold inscribed in gold, will write the name Dan Breen.

A rather glaring case of hindsight bias on your part here.

Feargale is fairly typical of a few on the island...rather than commemorate appropriately (As was planned for the RIC/DMP) the position is: if the RIC/DMP cannot be given equal status with those who fought for our freedom and established the state then he'd rather NO commemoration at all.

Similar sentiments are expressed by the likes of Arlene Foster: if there is to be a UI, I have no problem abandoning my constituents and leaving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

You get to vote for your own government because of that "nazi thug".

Advertisement