Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIC and DMP to be commemorated this month

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Sean.3516 wrote: »
    The real tragedy (and you’re gonna love me for saying this. Call me a westbrit/blueshirt if u will) is that the 1916 Rising ever took place.

You know what's funny? I was going to point out in my post that the ballachingly cliched response is always "Home Rule was around the corner" :D

Absolute guff. Home Rule was "around the corner" for the previous 80 years and it never happened, something always just happened to come up, as it did in 1914

You think 1916 was a tragedy but Redmond sending tens of thousands Irishmen to be slaughtered for a lie wasn't? You don't need me to put a label on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Ironic from Sinn Féin considering the amount of Irish people the PIRA killed!!

But it is a silly idea in fairness.

Just don't be hypocritical in your condemnation.

You do realise that the time of the RIC was to protect Irish people? They were the police force of the State except they often turned their guns on the people that they were meant to be protecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Sean.3516

Wouldnt agree
    Home rule had its limitations and there were several iterations that did not make it through both houses. So you think pearce should have just waited until after ww1 and essentially trust britain? How did that work out for collins and the treaty?
    If we went down that road we would be like wales or even canada, with the queen on our currency.

Yes, I’m saying wait until the end of WW1 and “trust” Britain as hard as that would be compared fighting a guerilla war.

I’m not saying I’d oppose violent means all the way. At least not until every peaceful avenue had been exhausted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

really? the meltdown it is causing so many show the country has so many small minded and backward types who are basically the DUP in the mirror.

United Ireland is miles away. I don't blame normal unionists to be concerned.

So you want to commemorate the men who shot dead 14 innocent people in Croke Park on Bloody Sunday? You think a State commemoration of these people is actually worthy and justified? Commemorating a police force that turned its guns on its own people, the people that the force was meant to be protecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

so you do nothing to acknowledge over 1 million on the island until the prize of a united is delivered.
    That is why isn't not happening any time soon.

You just don't get it.
    Correct, are unionists compromising in the status quo? Don't think I'm the one "not getting it"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

so you do nothing to acknowledge over 1 million on the island until the prize of a united is delivered.
    That is why isn't not happening any time soon.

You just don't get it.

Typically you ignore 4m others for the benefit of your point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,898 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Not hearing much from all these independent parasites that support FG in government.

Yes, I’m saying wait until the end of WW1 and “trust” Britain as hard as that would be compared fighting a guerilla war.

I’m not saying I’d oppose violent means all the way. At least not until every peaceful avenue had been exhausted.

The British had already retroactivley linked the passing of the Home Rule bill to conscription in Ireland, you don't seem to be worried about how many thousands of Irishmen that would have killed. The British Government also assured Carson and Craig that the whole Home Rule issue was still up for debate once the war ended. That Home Rule bill was as dead as the previous ones by 1916

Thankfully the IRB succeeded where O'Connell, Parnell and Redmond had all failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,811 ✭✭✭buried

If some terrorist organisation was to attack a football match killing 14 innocent people and maiming over 60 other people over in modern London some country would get bombed the next morning. And in 100 years time the British establishment wouldn't be glorifying the murderers as a bunch of "great lads doing their job" either

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

So you want to commemorate the men who shot dead 14 innocent people in Croke Park on Bloody Sunday? You think a State commemoration of these people is actually worthy and justified? Commemorating a police force that turned its guns on its own people, the people that the force was meant to be protecting.

Imagine us lot in the Republic whinging that Unionists will never respect their Catholic countrymen because they refuse to hold commerations for the Provos

Absolute Blather but loyalists like to trot it out every now and then as if they were considering going for a UI but now the deal is off :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Bambi wrote: »
    You know what's funny? I was going to point out in my post that the ballachingly cliched response is always "Home Rule was around the corner" :D

Absolute guff. Home Rule was "around the corner" for the previous 80 years and it never happened, something always just happened to come up, as it did in 1914

You think 1916 was a tragedy but Redmond sending tens of thousands Irishmen to be slaughtered for a lie wasn't? You don't need me to put a label on that.

1914 was in fact different. Because of the Parliament Act of 1911 which altered the British parliamentary rules so as to prevent the House of Lords from vetoing the same legislation for more than two years. House of Commons passed the Home Rule Act in 1912 and 1913 (Lords blocked it on both occasions.) meaning the legislation would come into effect in 1914 no matter what. Obviously this was delayed due to World War One but it genuinely was “behind the corner”.

As for Redmond, he didn’t “send” anybody anywhere. He instead stated that the best way for the National Volunteers to help affect Home Rule would be for them to help bring WWI to an end as fast as possible.

The British had already retroactivley linked the passing of the Home Rule bill to conscription in Ireland, you don't seem to be worried about how many thousands of Irishmen that would have killed. The British Government also assured Carson and Craig that the whole Home Rule issue was still up for debate once the war ended. That Home Rule bill was as dead as the previous ones by 1916

Thankfully the IRB succeeded where O'Connell, Parnell and Redmond had all failed.

And the UVF had terrorized the British parliament out of creating an Irish parliament for all Ireland in 1914 by threatening armed attacks. And caused a mutiny in the British officers in the Curragh.

The bending over for unionism by the Dublin west Brit media and political crowd is nauseating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    Typically you ignore 4m others for the benefit of your point of view.

and this is why it isn't gonna happen lads.

So we are all agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

FTA69 wrote: »
    Fair play to her.

I wonder would you take the same view if the Real IRA killed an unarmed Garda because he/she was an agent of the 'Free State'?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,898 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

1914 was in fact different. Because of the Parliament Act of 1911 which altered the British parliamentary rules so as to prevent the House of Lords from vetoing the same legislation for more than two years. House of Commons passed the Home Rule Act in 1912 and 1913 (Lords blocked it on both occasions.) meaning the legislation would come into effect in 1914 no matter what. Obviously this was delayed due to World War One but it genuinely was “behind the corner”.

As for Redmond, he didn’t “send” anybody anywhere. He instead stated that the best way for the National Volunteers to help affect Home Rule would be for them to help bring WWI to an end as fast as possible.

Redmond was a typical hypocritical coward.

Asking others to sign up for a war they he wouldn't go fight in himself.

What a man. :rolleyes:

As for the Home Rule Act. The Brits promised a lot of things to a lot of people. They betrayed the Palestinians and promised their land to European jewish colonialists.

Perfidious Albion wasn't a phrase created out of nowhere.

So we are all agreed.

Lol.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Not hearing much from all these independent parasites that support FG in government.

One of these particular mopes will be hitting my doorstep very soon. I'm going to enjoy talking calmly and succinct to this particular person. I can't wait for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I don't think anyone wanted to commemorate those who killed unarmed civilians in Bloody Sunday or who assassinated Tomas MacCurtin (illegal acts by their own measure) or the 'Black and Tans' or 'Auxies' just ordinary RIC men. However it is evident that this is being misunderstood not adequately explained/defined and is turning into a PR fiasco.

So we are all agreed.

Time will tell, the reality is the die hards who come up with this stuff on twitter that you regurgitate here are never going to vote for a UI

As for the more practical of the Brethren....If Brexit goes south... So does the North .....tick tock :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

C'mon. Redmond 100% supported and encouraged the war effort. He was very prominent. A little different from me or you just stating something

Honestly I don’t see conscription as a price too high to pay for Home Rule. World War One as catastrophic as it was a fundamentally moral war about halting German and Austrian imperialism in Western Europe.

As I’ve said before, barriers to Home Rule still existed yes. This doesn’t mean they couldn’t have been overcome. Surely you have try before committing to violence.

The IRB succeeded in having half of Dublin blown to bits so as to dissuade the British from ever thinking about giving us Home Rule again.

Time will tell, the reality is the die hards who come up with this stuff on twitter that you regurgitate here are never going to vote for a UI

As for the more practical of the Brethren....If Brexit goes south... So does the North .....tick tock :D

if you are waiting for that then you are screwed.

Brexit will be a triumph.

Never underestimate the liking of the northern unionist for money. You only have to look at cash for ash and Sri Lanka! The Brethren like filthy lucre.

saabsaab wrote: »
    I don't think anyone wanted to commemorate those who killed unarmed civilians in Bloody Sunday or who assassinated Tomas MacCurtin (illegal acts by their own measure) or the 'Black and Tans' or 'Auxies' just ordinary RIC men. However it is evident that this is being misunderstood not adequately explained/defined and is turning into a PR fiasco.

Gway ta f**k with that noise saab, ordinary RIC men stood with those terrorist murderers on those occasions and plenty other ones too. The only people who have "misunderstood" anything is the boot licking self loathing $hitheels in FG who assume we should all do what they want us to do and how we view our actual history. Sorry bluebells, not going to happen.

C'mon. Redmond 100% supported and encouraged the war effort. He was very prominent. A little different from me or you just stating something

Yeah sure, I’ll concede that. I’d say he wholeheartedly supported it both as a vehicle to get Home Rule as well as part of the general rationale for preventing the spread of the German Empire into Western Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Honestly I don’t see conscription as a price too high to pay for Home Rule. World War One as catastrophic as it was a fundamentally moral war about halting German and Austrian imperialism in Western Europe.

....and shag the populations of Africa, Asia and the middle east - victims as they were of British, French, Belgium reigimes...yeah, very "moral"

Rememeber we live in a country where even having a british accent leads to abuse. Why is anyone surpised by this reaction.

Nothing has changed and until society grows up, there will always be the north and the south.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

saabsaab wrote: »

Precisely. The mistake, for it is such, is that the average Irish person's grasp of their own country's history was great overestimated.

• Advertisement

Odhinn wrote: »
    ....and shag the populations of Africa, Asia and the middle east - victims as they were of British, French, Belgium reigimes...yeah, very "moral"
    My ancestors suffered at the hands of the Vikings. I want to never let it go.

Advertisement