Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIC and DMP to be commemorated this month

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Fr. Pat Noise

I’ve made up a handy post for people to use on twitter/Facebook etc. please delete as required.

“It is an absolute disgrace that the FG/Free State/blue shirt government are commemorating Crown Forces who terrorised innocent Irish people. My grandad/great grandad/ grandmother/great grandmother lived on a small farm in Cork/Kerry/other Bog County during the war of independence. The auxies/RIC/Black and Tans arrived at the farm one evening and shot/looked at/shouted at/roughed up their father/mother/brother/sister/uncle/family. Leo Varadkar and his blue shirts should be utterly ashamed of themselves and should spend their time and energy solving the homeless crisis/hospital waiting lists/climate change instead of commemorating British terrorists.”

No need to thank me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

Rememeber we live in a country where even having a british accent leads to abuse. Why is anyone surpised by this reaction.

Nothing has changed and until society grows up, there will always be the north and the south.

Try any foreign accent in England. By growing up you mean bend over for unionists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Until we kick the Celts out of Ireland for good, we will never be self governing. They have infiltrated us to a shocking degree. Back to Germany with them, where they belong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    Try any foreign accent in England. By growing up you mean bend over for unionists.

Really? The UK is one of the easiest places in the world to be an immigrant. You won't find any studies to tell you different either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

and this is why it isn't gonna happen lads.

So we are all agreed.
    Yes, Of corse, if it means having to commemorate the RIC today as a Republic in the Republic then yes, of course don't want it ever to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Dun Laoire says no.
    Well the head chap.
    There's a FG councillor in the wars with him on that thread

https://twitter.com/LukeMartin_DL/status/1214305633782116353?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Sean.3516

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Redmond was a typical hypocritical coward.

Asking others to sign up for a war they he wouldn't go fight in himself.

Well, he was almost 60 in 1914.
    Zebra3 wrote: »
    As for the Home Rule Act. The Brits promised a lot of things to a lot of people. They betrayed the Palestinians and promised their land to European jewish colonialists.

Well what the British promised the Palestinians in the Balfour Declaration was essentially a two-state solution. The first ever proposed. Arab state and Jewish state. It fell through due to lack of Arab co-operation. Bearing in mind the Brits were heavily biased in favour of the Arabs due to oil interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Rememeber we live in a country where even having a british accent leads to abuse. Why is anyone surpised by this reaction.

Nothing has changed and until society grows up, there will always be the north and the south.

Nothing to do with. I have family from england, support liverpool etc etc. These are two different things. The RIC propped up british imperialism in our country and should in no way be commemorated for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Yes, Of corse, if it means having to commemorate the RIC today as a Republic in the Republic then yes, of course don't want it ever to happen.

Unionists wouldn't expect us to commemorate the RIC/DMP and the B&Ts just as we wouldn't expect them to commemorate the IRA or Pearse or Connolly. The only ones who expect this are our own peculiar breed of partitionists and hat doffers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

What would Michael Collins say about this?

Im sure he wouldnt be too impressed by politicians who dont know their Irish history.

• Advertisement

I’ve made up a handy post for people to use on twitter/Facebook etc. please delete as required.

“Irish people should be utterly ashamed of themselves”

No need to thank me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

buried wrote: »
    Gway ta f**k with that noise saab, ordinary RIC men stood with those terrorist murderers on those occasions and plenty other ones too. The only people who have "misunderstood" anything is the boot licking self loathing $hitheels in FG who assume we should all do what they want us to do and how we view our actual history. Sorry bluebells, not going to happen.

You must remember that like many I had a relative in the DMP. I can't imagine him being a villain just an ordinary man in a job. I also had a relative in the old IRA both Irishmen and by all accounts decent men.

Unionists wouldn't expect us to commemorate the RIC/DMP and the B&Ts just as we wouldn't expect them to commemorate the IRA or Pearse or Connolly. The only ones who expect this are our own peculiar breed of partitionists and hat doffers.

The difference being these clowns were terrorists outside the law.

+1000. Let’s be frank: this is the epitome of West Britism.

No we don't, I've plenty of English friends living here who never get any abuse. Can't say the same for being Irish in the U.K.however.

We do.however tend to take the piss out of the type of people who use terms like soyboy, femboys etc, ie morons.

Lol. You mean British colonial law designed to keep Irish people subjugated. The absolute innocence of people defending British law in Ireland is breathtaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    Lol. You mean British colonial law designed to keep Irish people subjugated. The absolute innocence of people defending British law in Ireland is breathtaking.

Well known WUM, avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,811 ✭✭✭buried

saabsaab wrote: »
    You must remember that like many I had a relative in the DMP. I can't imagine him being a villain just an ordinary man in a job. I also had a relative in the old IRA both Irishmen and by all accounts decent men.

I don't give a monkeys **** what relative you had anywhere man. Your perception of your own relative doesn't whitewash or eradicate actual history of what happened. Speaking about 'Ordinary Men' there is a great book with that actual title written by Christopher Browning. You should read it and see what other 'Ordinary Men' were capable of elsewhere too.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

DubInMeath wrote: »
    No we don't, I've plenty of English friends living here who never get any abuse. Can't say the same for being Irish in the U.K.however.

We do.however tend to take the piss out of the type of people who use terms like soyboy, femboys etc, ie morons.

Really? I worked it out as - working class northern english accents ok - Southern accents not.

The obsession with class is beyond insecurity now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

My dead relatives would be turning in their grave if those goons got any positive recognition.
    Shower of **** they were, harassing people licking the arses of the local constabulary, traitors and some of our own were at it too.

I don't care if its not PC to glorify those bastards, but they were filthy rotten imperialistic knobs, wasters.

There was always some local tout too who told on the locals.

The best example was the movie Ryan's Daughter they portray them in the right light.

• Advertisement

Ha ha ha. The Tans, mythic upholders of the law.

You should only make the odd post TROL, when you expose the depth of your knowledge in debate it is less effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Sean.3516

mikeym wrote: »
    What would Michael Collins say about this?

Im sure he wouldnt be too impressed by politicians who dont know their Irish history.

Michael Collins was able to sit down and make a deal with men who wanted him hanging him from a rope.

I think Collins and most of the Pro-Treaty/Cumman na nGaedhal crew understood the need for reconciliation.

Really? I worked it out as - working class northern english accents ok - Southern accents not.

The obsession with class is beyond insecurity now.

Think you'll find it's England with the class issues, and yes some of ye are beyond insecure with it.

nthclare wrote: »
    My dead relatives would be turning in their grave if those goons got any positive recognition.
    Shower of **** they were, harassing people licking the arses of the local constabulary, traitors and some of our own were at it too.

I don't care if its not PC to glorify those bastards, but they were filthy rotten imperialistic knobs, wasters.

There was always some local tout too who told on the locals.

The best example was the movie Ryan's Daughter they portray them in the right light.
    They were people doing jobs in the society in which they lived for the establishment they lived under all their lives.

I know plenty of lads who were in the Army and went to Iraq, Afganistan, Bosnia and some to northern Ireland. They knew nothing of the politics or the history and just did a job.

I can tell you the average infantry from Newcastle, Cardiff or Stoke didn't have the first idea about any of these places including the north.

Sean.3516 wrote: »
    Michael Collins was able to sit down and make a deal with men who wanted him hanging him from a rope.

I think Collins and most of the Pro-Treaty/Cumman na nGaedhal crew understood the need for reconciliation.

We have adequately reconciled this period of our history. We are not in conflict with anybody as a state.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

buried wrote: »
    I don't give a monkeys **** what relative you had anywhere man. Your perception of your own relative doesn't whitewash or eradicate actual history of what happened. Speaking about 'Ordinary Men' there is a great book with that actual title written by Christopher Browning. You should read it and see what other 'Ordinary Men' were capable of elsewhere too.

What I am saying is that these were ordinary men caught up in a particular situation that is a reality of what happened too. Whatever any 'history' says.

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Think you'll find it's England with the class issues, and yes some of ye are beyond insecure with it.

Sure buddy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,811 ✭✭✭buried

saabsaab wrote: »
    What I am saying is that these were ordinary men caught up in a particular situation that is a reality of what happened too. Whatever any 'history' says.

Yeah I know exactly what you are saying, they were caught up supporting a regime that deemed it acceptable to shoot multiple rounds of machine gun fire into a crowd of innocent people. That is the actual reality and the actual history. Just because you don't want to acknowledge it, well, that's on you.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 13,898 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Honestly I don’t see conscription as a price too high to pay for Home Rule.

Easy to say when it wasn't you faced with being sent to the western front to fight for the nation occupying your country and one which occupied huge tracts of the globe with its' racist policies.
    Well, he was almost 60 in 1914.

Well what the British promised the Palestinians in the Balfour Declaration was essentially a two-state solution. The first ever proposed. Arab state and Jewish state. It fell through due to lack of Arab co-operation. Bearing in mind the Brits were heavily biased in favour of the Arabs due to oil interests.

How nice of the Brits.

We offer you part of your own land.

Imagine somebody stole your home and offered you half of it back.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

They were people doing jobs in the society in which they lived for the establishment they lived under all their lives.

I know plenty of lads who were in the Army and went to Iraq, Afganistan, Bosnia and some to northern Ireland. They knew nothing of the politics or the history and just did a job.

I can tell you the average infantry from Newcastle, Cardiff or Stoke didn't have the first idea about any of these places including the north.

I understand where you are coming from but still I am shocked at Fine Gael.

I know they probably picked out the thickest most ill educated guys to carry out these jobs but ok maybe the blames on the hierarchy for the whole thing.

The usual jolly good honourable gentlemen sending the thicks into battle etc
    Its probably still going on in certain parts of the world, but im really putting principles before Personalities..

Those guys the black and tans were the worst of the worst

Advertisement