Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIC and DMP to be commemorated this month

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

The Ladybird version of history includes 'oh they were just ordinary Irishmen doing a job'. 'Just doing their job'....

How many despicable regimes that committed heinous crimes were 'ordinary men just doing their jobs' instrumental in?

That's a rhetorical question.

I believe Ze Germans used the "I was just following orders".

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

Ive signed that petition, what's the story with people donating money, what charity does it go to?

I,v no idea...i just signed it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Bruton, a former Taoiseach of this country no less actually called the WoI a civil war last night

"...when we talk of the two civil wars..."
    That shows the level of revisionist West Britishness of the laughing donkey and his party.

We should commemorate and celebrate the dissolution of those colonial paramilitary forces in a few years time, not commemorate them as if they were some benign organisation "just following orders"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,359 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I’ve seen the petition and all but nothing of a protest yet. Surely there will be one?

Go start one yourself, it's a free country.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,505 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Its a bit craven having the commemoration but on the other hand, the reaction against is way over the top.

It would be intersting to see what soemone one like Dermot Ferriter has to say on the matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,359 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

mariaalice wrote: »
    Its a bit craven having the commemoration but on the other hand, the reaction against is way over the top.

If only folks were half as exercised about the housing crisis or the HSE.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Nift

Nonsense.

Most people in this country understand the nuances you allude to in the first part of your post.

We know there were those in the RIC and the DMP who were just doing their jobs as there were in any colonial force in the world, or as there was in the RUC and the BA.

However, honouring/commemorating the existence of the RIC or the DMP and their boot boys as 'organisations' is a step too far.
    No other peoples/societies would be expected to do it. It is hardly a wet week since another couple of those organisations The RUC and the UDR had to be 'forgotten' because of their behaviour.

ah come on now its all fair points, hardly nonsense. No need for the commemoration but its funny that people can't see the wood for the trees. the very reason there will never be a United Ireland is incidents and outrage like this.

We need to take a mature stance around this. I mean if people don't want a United Ireland fair enough, but what will they do when a hypothetical United Ireland celebrates the Battle of the Boyne with a national holiday? this is the reality we are facing.

People are quick to forget the facts.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/theroyalfamily/8121389/How-George-V-was-received-by-the-Irish-in-1911.html

We laud the British buildings, the language, the anglo writers, the soccer teams, the culture but oh yeah boy do we hate the English.

It seems a pr own goal in a way, but this has been flagged for some time. The 1916 celebrations were easy in comparison. The war of independence and the civil war that followed will be very hard to celebrate.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/heritage/commemorating-our-journey-to-nationhood-will-not-be-easy-1.3739459

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

a swing and a miss there Leo, the Irish people haven't moved on

• Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Nift wrote: »
    ah come on now its all fair points, hardly nonsense. No need for the commemoration but its funny that people can't see the wood for the trees. the very reason there will never be a United Ireland is incidents and outrage like this.

We need to take a mature stance around this. I mean if people don't want a United Ireland fair enough, but what will they do when a hypothetical United Ireland celebrates the Battle of the Boyne with a national holiday? this is the reality we are facing.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/theroyalfamily/8121389/How-George-V-was-received-by-the-Irish-in-1911.html

We laud the British buildings, the language, the anglo writers, the soccer teams, the culture but oh yeah boy do we hate the English.

It seems a pr own goal in a way, but this has been flagged for some time. The 1916 celebrations were easy in comparison. The war of independence and the civil war that followed will be very hard to celebrate.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/heritage/commemorating-our-journey-to-nationhood-will-not-be-easy-1.3739459

Somebody looking for 'mature' reactions comes out with 'oh yeah boy do we hate the English'.

Who 'hates' the English?

I hate some of the things the English did and continue to do.

I don't hate 'the English' though. Can you stop with the trite generalisations and we might be able to have a 'mature' conversation.

And who the F**k is planning to 'celebrate' the Civil War or ANY war for that matter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

ah that old chestnut

Simplest thing would be to not troll people with such commemorations... where was the public clamor for these commemorations? I don't get it. This is nothing more than ahistorical revisionism.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Rubbish! 50% + 1. That's what it takes.
    We need to take a mature stance around this.
    Mature? Traitorous, pondscum intellected FG politicians always used that excuse when they try to downgrade Irish history.
    A bunch of middle class Germans who had to change their German name to "Windsor" because their government got into a little bit of World War with their inbred moron of a cousin.
    It seems a pr own goal in a way, but this has been flagged for some time. The 1916 celebrations were easy in comparison.
    Would those be the 1916 celebrations where the morons in FG/Labour got some equally dimwitted f*cktards to produce a video about 1916 that had the Queen of England, Sir Bob Geldorf, that gobsh!te Bono but none of the 1916 leaders or the fact that there had been an Easter Rising?

One couldn't trust FG/Labour to boil water without burning it.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

I have to say it's very refreshing to see the growing grassroots backlash against this commemoration.

A whitewashing of history pushed by a vested interest with no public consultation and signed off on by a government with a disregard for our history and a reliance on PR flim-flam over substance, the commemoration looked like a fait accompli with no voices raised against it until ordinary people had their say, mainly online, and spurred their local representatives to act.

Now all 3 National Broadsheets have articles either openly critical or summarising criticism of the event, including one on the front page of the Examiner.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I was born on a Dublin street where the royal drums did beat,
    And those loving English feet they tramped all over us,
    And each and every night when me father came home tight
    He'd invite the neighbors outside with this chorus:
    Come out ye Black and Tans, come out and fight me like a man,
    Show your wife how you won medals down in Flanders,
    Tell them how the IRA made you run like hell away
    From the green and lovely lanes of Killashandra.

Double O feckin bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Who was it that said ,'if FG saw a sleeping dog, they'd kick it'.?
    You just have to hand it to them.

FG don't really understand humans, they never have.

Go start one yourself, it's a free country.

I wouldn’t have the influence or organisational skills. There will be one anyway I’d say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

mariaalice wrote: »

It would be intersting to see what soemone one like Dermot Ferriter has to say on the matter.

The reaction is not over the top !
    if your people were pulled out of there houses left by the side of the road to starve , burn there house and few possessions would u be as fast to say the reaction is over the top !
    There was no go fund me page back then!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Can you imagine the Jewish peoples commemorating the Nazi's? Didn't think so. This is akin to that. ****ing shameful to even have it as an idea, nevermind get it this far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

markodaly wrote: »
    RIC != Tans/Aux

RIC ⊃ Tans/Aux

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,505 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The reaction is not over the top !
    if your people were pulled out of there houses left by the side of the road to starve , burn there house and few possessions would u be as fast to say the reaction is over the top !
    There was no go fund me page back then!

My ancestors were evicted from some Lord bumble fumbley estate fn the 1850s and the exact date and time of day it happened has come down the family to this day, its did not turn any of my family into rabid nationalists they just became mildly nationalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

evil_seed wrote: »
    Can you imagine the Jewish peoples commemorating the Nazi's? Didn't think so. This is akin to that. ****ing shameful to even have it as an idea, nevermind get it this far.

Wow, I guess many of us never realised how evil the RIC and the DMP really were!

So many Irish people murdered & tortured by them (according to posts on here), how a commemoration was even considered is a mystery considering they were a actually the Irish version of the Nazis.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,206 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I can imagine Irishmen who fought in the trenches in WW1 being commemorated, because they were. Thats what this is akin to, Irishmen who served, not the bloody nazis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

This is a very ill advised commemoration.
    What are they thinking of here?
    A former RUC garda commissioner here now too.
    We have been infiltrated here I think, the British regime must be laughing up their sleeves at us.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Leo's exit strategy is complete.

Can't decide if this is a primed grenade lobbed in so the plebs will take their eyes of something bigger, or there's something horrible on the way that he would prefer FF to have their arses in govt when it lands.

Seriously, how else did he envisage this would go down?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I can imagine Irishmen who fought in the trenches in WW1 being commemorated, because they were. Thats what this is akin to, Irishmen who served, not the bloody nazis.

The Nazi's were 'German men and women'. Are they celebrated by current German men and women?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Larbre34 wrote: »

The nazis didn't come here from Mars... they were Germans 'who served'...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

McMurphy wrote: »
    Leo's exit strategy is complete.

Can't decide if this is a primed grenade lobbed in so the plebs will take their eyes of something bigger, or there's something horrible on the way that he would prefer FF to have their arses in govt when it lands.

Seriously, how else did he envisage this would go down?

Maybe he's bored being Taoiseach now and wants to move onto greener pastures like John Bruton, Filthy Phil and Suds have? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Probably committed their own brand of genocide at the Swastika laundry in Dublin? Slave labour too?

(Reading so many posts on here makes me want to believe) that the Irish people had a lucky escape...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

I was born on a Dublin street where the royal drums did beat,
    And those loving English feet they tramped all over us,
    And each and every night when me father came home tight
    He'd invite the neighbors outside with this chorus:
    Come out ye Black and Tans, come out and fight me like a man,
    Show your wife how you won medals down in Flanders,
    Tell them how the IRA made you run like hell away
    From the green and lovely lanes of Killashandra.

Don't fall off your barstool. You were damaged enough when you fell on your head after your mother dropped you

Advertisement