Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIC and DMP to be commemorated this month

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

Postponed

Hopefully forever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Just breaking:

Flanagan has announced the joke of a ceremony is being deferred...

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2020/0107/1104875-ric-event-martin/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

commeration cancelled, great news

• Registered Users Posts: 69,202 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It is called cultural appropriation Ireland still speaks in the language of thier former colonial masters predominately, and could not even manage to revive Irish.
    The only country in Europe that does not speak it's own language.
    Ireland is inundated with English and American media. They are copied and aped.

Yet there is pretenses like the protests against the DMP and RIC to make people feel Irish/or get a nationalist vote. It is a cod.

Scotland, Wales speak their native tongues?

Keep trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Write some songs so!

Anyway what about

When I was 18 years of age

Into the army I did engage

Green Fields of France is the nearest one I can think of.

Liam Clancy did a version of 'The Patriot game' which he got slated for as they made it seem like the armed struggle was wasting life. In the manner they sang it.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,909 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

ClanofLams wrote: »
    There were good people in the RIC no doubt but the idea of having a commemoration for an organisation that was a key component of British rule and involved in murder, torture, etc of Irish people is ridiculous.

Varadkar has had an absolute shocker here too. The arrogance with which he has responded isn’t playing well. These controversies are often overstated in terms of electoral impact but really do think this will have a tangible impact and might well cost him position of Taoiseach.

I would say the postponing of it was speedy enough. The main furore about this has only been going on for about 24-36 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,605 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Has Leo lost all his maturity since this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,202 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Just breaking:

Flanagan has announced the joke of a ceremony is being deferred...

Inevitable.

Ferriter on the radio shortly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

As a senior citizen I am crying tears of relief that this dishonour to our country and our patriot dead has been stopped. So many ordinary people have been abused by those who say we have no historical nuance, no maturity, are exclusionary that that in itself is a separate affront.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Also Poster 2: How dare you talk about the crimes of the RIC, my grandad was in the RIC. My nanny told me he was a lovely fella. Used to take his dog out for a walk.

Mmmm -hadn’t much to do if he had time to walk his dog !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

According to RTE news the government is now deferring the commemoration of the RIC/DMP/ Black&Tans. Has sense prevailed or the PR damage has finally caught up with the leadership?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Well, she’s been cancelled due to massive opposition. I’m sure all the West Brits will be crying into their poppies but it’s great to see Flanagan embarrassed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Looks like the anti-Irish Varadkar and Flanagan underestimated the response of Irish people. :) They've been forced into a humiliating climbdown and have probably damaged FG's election prospects.

https://www.thejournal.ie/ric-cancelled-4956894-Jan2020/?utm_source=twitter_short

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Was turning into a PR nightmare no good for either side.

Scotland, Wales speak their native tongues?

Keep trying.

But they are part of Britain and not 'free'. If anything despite this more people properly speak Welsh in Wales, than Irish in Ireland.

Mary Lou, Michelle O'Neill etc do not speak Irish I suppose you need to go to the jailtacht for that?
    Yet the two of them have the neck to on about an Irish language act, for NI you cannot make it up!

Much easier to 'protest' the RIC/DMP commemoration I suppose....low hanging fruit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

with talks of an election on 14th of febuary, this lead baloon was sure to hit fg in the polls

• Registered Users Posts: 18,909 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

According to RTE news the government is now deferring the commemoration of the RIC/DMP/ Black&Tans. Has sense prevailed or the PR damage has finally caught up with the leadership?

They can simply say it was becoming too divisive and the purpose of commemorations is not to be divisive.

In fairness, the furore over it escalated very rapidly.....we're talking about a minor event that would have been barely even reported on had things not kicked off.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,016 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

They’ve deferred it.
    Wise decision. It was never a runner.

FTA69 wrote: »
    Well, she’s been cancelled due to massive opposition. I’m sure all the West Brits will be crying into their poppies but it’s great to see Flanagan embarrassed.

I never wore a poppy in my life, nor am I a 'West Brit' but I believe it would have been a step in the right direction.
    The country is obviously not ready yet maybe in another 50 years.
    I can see though the plastic quasi republican game though.
    Little steps it is all part of the process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

saabsaab wrote: »

No good for Fg side.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

jmcc wrote: »
    Looks like the anti-Irish Varadkar and Flanagan underestimated the response of Irish people. :) They've been forced into a humiliating climbdown and have probably damaged FG's election prospects.

https://www.thejournal.ie/ric-cancelled-4956894-Jan2020/?utm_source=twitter_short

Regards...jmcc

Its only the 07th of January, its a long time politically until the election. By snuffing it out now they are hoping that something else will happen before then which more than likely will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

jmcc wrote: »
    Looks like the anti-Irish Varadkar and Flanagan underestimated the response of Irish people. :)They've been forced into a humiliating climbdown and have probably damaged FG's election prospects.
    Make no mistake that this was the primary reason why this misadventure was cancelled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Deferred it may be but don't forget what Fine Gael tried to do here at the polls.

Its a very good indication of the level of respect they have for the country.

Deferred is also an interesting word. No backbone to say it's cancelled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Strazdas wrote: »
    They can simply say it was becoming too divisive and the purpose of commemorations is not to be divisive.

In fairness, the furore over it escalated very rapidly.....we're talking about a minor event that would have been barely even reported on had things not kicked off.

A state commemorating the forces who attempted to deny independence, it was a stupid and divisive concept by people whom should if had more sense.
    FG has scored a spectacular own goal here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

They’ve deferred it.
    Wise decision. It was never a runner.

Deferred-I’d say cancelled , just would not give to say !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭buried

Ferriter saying Flanagan used him as political cover on RTE radio 1. Sounds livid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Strazdas wrote: »

It shows how far their finger is from the pulse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Deferred now, surely can’t be resurrected. Politically toxic and utterly stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

saabsaab wrote: »

Either side??

This is all on FG's head, particularly Flanagan, Varadkar and Humphries.
    The doubling down and lies of Flanagan won't be forgotten neither will Varadkar lecturing the Irish people.

Advertisement