Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RIC and DMP to be commemorated this month

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,820 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

The Nal wrote: »
    Indeed. Amazed how people can't see it.

A tester in the initial steps for a United Ireland. Equal parts admirable, brave and extremely naive from FG.

Think we've got our answer. It'll be a while yet lads. Maybe not in any of our lifetimes.

This by 1000%

We have failed before we have even begun on the question on what a UI would actually look like.

We as a people cannot get over something that happened 100 years ago, then there is little hope in uniting this state with the north, with a people who have a very very definite view on how the RIC were and their contribution to the times.

What is it again, win the battle but lose the war.
    In a way I am delighted really. The mask slips very easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,147 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Deferred-I’d say cancelled , just would not give to say !

Exactly. Deferred never to be brought up again. Makes it a bit easier for them to say deferred rather than cancelled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Jaysus, I open up the auld twitter machine of an evening with a cup of tea and trending in Ireland is notmytaoiseach and associated Tan hash tags (hash taigs?). "You're trending boss!!" roars Mary Mitchell. Poor Leo must have got a fierce dose of the yips, imagining the peasantery were drilling up in the hills. "Charlie you fecking eejit are ye trying to have me lynched, did Coveney put you up to this?"

Meanwhile, Micheal sits patiently on his ditch, hurl in hand, watching like a hawk. Eammon O'Cuiv pokes him just to make sure he's actually still alive. His test is inconclusive.

BTW the the fella who runs Leo's ultra expensive PR dept is the same buck who inflicted the embarassement that was the 1916 commemoration on us. Doubtless he had his fingers in this pie. A parcel of rogues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

A state commemorating the forces who attempted to deny independence, it was a stupid and divisive concept by people whom should if had more sense.
    FG has scored a spectacular own goal here.

And with zero recommendation from the advisory group set up specifically for this type of thing and no consultation with other parties.

Very revealing of FG and that performance from the laughing donkey Bruton last night on live TV seals it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,761 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Either side??

This is all on FG's head, particularly Flanagan, Varadkar and Humphries.
    The doubling down and lies of Flanagan won't be forgotten neither will Varadkar lecturing the Irish people.

Exactly. The protest was swift and targetted. Flanagan and Leo got the message.

Ferriter letting Flanagan have it on RTE currently. The government should stand aside and let this committee do the centenary stuff.

Flanagan due on, but from his statement it sounds like he is going to blame the reaction for thwarting his plans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Honestly what a clusterfk. I doubt very many even knew or cared about this. But now it is a mess.

A lot of this angst is just below the surface waiting to emerge, and of course it has now.

Bad judgment call IMV.

What is the point of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I think there’s a suspicion among quite a few people that the elements of the upper echelons of FG-Varadkar, Murphy, Harris- are a bit different to most of us, don’t care for or understand the working classes. Varadkar’s comments hardly helped dispel that view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

FTA69 wrote: »
    Well, she’s been cancelled due to massive opposition. I’m sure all the West Brits will be crying into their poppies but it’s great to see Flanagan embarrassed.

Actually only DEFERRED. This needs to be finished.

It is called cultural appropriation Ireland still speaks in the language of thier former colonial masters predominately, and could not even manage to revive Irish.
    The only country in Europe that does not speak it's own language.
    Ireland is inundated with English and American media. They are copied and aped.

Yet there is pretenses like the protests against the DMP and RIC to make people feel Irish/or get a nationalist vote. It is a cod.

There are more Liverpool and Man United supporters in this country than those who actually go to LOI games.

Its like we need to make up for this type of duality, with primeval 'Up da Ra' when questions about our statehood is mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,277 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Great news.

I'm as let the past be the past as much as anyone and especially when it comes to Irish - English relations but there is just something unpalatable about commerorating the black and tans.
    My grandfather used to tell me all the stories and said nothing struck fear into the hearts of ya as much as the black and tans did.

• Advertisement

FG trying desperately hard not to be re-elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

This will be quietly forgotten by Fine Gael. We shouldn't forget that there is an element within Fine Gael that is ashamed of our resistance to British rule and ashamed of the contribution of those Irish who suffered to achieve independence.

We're ashamed of you Flanagan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Mary Wilson crying into her blue soup

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,125 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

A state commemorating the forces who attempted to deny independence, it was a stupid and divisive concept by people whom should if had more sense.
    FG has scored a spectacular own goal here.

It was still just a minor event at Dublin Castle on a Friday, with a few guests, journalists and camera crews present.....nothing like the 2016 state commemorations (the RIC has hardly been a burning topic of conversation in Irish households in recent years).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    And with zero recommendation from the advisory group set up specifically for this type of thing and no consultation with other parties.

Very revealing of FG and that performance from the laughing donkey Bruton last night on live TV seals it.

Ferriter on Six one, claiming the government tried to use the group he is a member of as cover. Even when wrong FG seeks to blame the blameless for their own behaviour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Flanagan should be made resign - p...k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Bambi wrote: »
    Jaysus, I open up the auld twitter machine of an evening with a cup of tea and trending in Ireland is notmytaoiseach and associated Tan hash tags (hash taigs?). "You're trending boss!!" roars Mary Mitchell. Poor Leo must have got a fierce dose of the yips, imagining the peasantery were drilling up in the hills. "Charlie you fecking eejit are ye trying to have me lynched, did Coveney put you up to this?"

Meanwhile, Micheal sits patiently on his ditch, hurl in hand, watching like a hawk. Eammon O'Cuiv pokes him just to make sure he's actually still alive. His test is inconclusive.

BTW the the fella who runs Leo's ultra expensive PR dept is the same buck who inflicted the embarassement that was the 1916 commemoration on us. Doubtless he had his fingers in this pie. A parcel of rogues.

Epic post.
    I had mental images of the "pantomime" described above going on in my head while reading it. And yes, they were all dressed in ridiculous costumes.

Ferriter on Six one, claiming the government tried to use the group he is a member of as cover. Even when wrong FG seeks to blame the blameless for their own behaviour.

Ferriter just as bad as them with there advice , have anyone of them a brain !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

markodaly wrote: »
    This by 1000%

We have failed before we have even begun on the question on what a UI would actually look like.

We as a people cannot get over something that happened 100 years ago, then there is little hope in uniting this state with the north, with a people who have a very very definite view on how the RIC were and their contribution to the times.

No-one commemorates their oppressor. No-one.

As one of the members of the expert group said, they did not recommend this, and in actual fact recommended an academic seminar or conference to discuss their place in our history.
    You're correct for once though - the FG mask definitely slipping and it ain't pretty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Very disrespectful to the memory of those who fought for our freedom.

• Advertisement

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    Actually only DEFERRED. This needs to be finished.

It’s deferred permanently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

markodaly wrote: »
    This by 1000%

No one expects the DUP to attend commemorations for the PIRA. South Armagh does not commemorate the Glenane gang.

I sincerely hope no sane unionist would be a supporter of state organized terrorists.

The only mask that has slipped is on FG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

It’s deferred permanently.

And rightly so!

Oh the mistakes in last 6 months

Hospital overrun
    Maria Bailey
    Commemoration

Add in the hospital crisis and homelessness !

The first three were all avoidable !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,761 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The mistake FG and partitionists make (and you hear it all the time on here) is that Irish 'don't care' about either, how our independence came about, how it is represented and why it came about or about how a UI might come about and why. They once again woke the sleeping lion and it roared at them, loudly.

They keep making the mistake and their repeated retreats are getting to be the stuff of tasty popcorn time to be honest.

In fairness, Ferriter is speaking with forked tongues on this. He and others in the EAG put their name to a commemoration of sorts of the RIC/DMP yet now when the heat is on, he is backtracking on the nuance.

Good PR by him though.

He knows what side his bread is buttered and he doesn't want to be tainted with the 'West Brit' tag. It would hurt his income directly.

However, I guess we can as a nation revert to type of have collective amnesia about the RIC/DMP for the next 50 years. A republic of forgetting.

Don't get the big deal here at all.
    They were Irish men serving in what was their police force ay the time.
    We can now, finally, commemorate the thousands of Irishmen that dies in the British forces in world war 1, surely we can just throw a small old commemoration for old Irish police?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Flanagan on Six one now, digging a deeper hole imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Hopefully the first of many defeats for Varadkar and his vile party this year.

well done to everyone who complained and signed the petition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

The French Ambassador is grateful as there was a clash of dates in his diary.
    He is now free to attend the Klaus Barbie "Butcher of Lyon" commemoration

Advertisement