Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIC and DMP to be commemorated this month

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

See this is the sort of whataboutery from the bigoted narrowminded republican types who see only one view,
    Even in the sart of the war of Independence two Irishmen one from Cork and one from Mayo were shot dead for three poxy boxes of geligenite. (never used due to frost)

One left five orphans was a native Irish speaker, which is more that can be said for so many plastic republicans. Who can barely speak English nevermind Irish.

If people cannot find it in thier hearts to remember real Irishmen who did not live in colours or flags. But lived his culture, was respected in the community spoke fluent Irish as his native tongue.

For a fella like that to be dismissed because he wore an RIC uniform does not make you nationalist, it just makes you a heartless brainwashed bigot.

Those fellas O'Donnell and O'Connell from the RIC in 1919 were as much Irishmen as Robinson, Breen or Treacy et al.

But it is much more palatable to term them RIC as Crown forces better narrative. Pathetic.

Repetative use of copy and paste, very reminiscent of Mary is here

Next on the list should be packing that loyalist terrorist they have running the Gardaí back up where he came from. Can be sure he had a big hand in this being organised in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

A United Ireland doesn't require Unionists' consent.

What part of 'one person - one vote' do you not understand?
    As a Northern Ireland didnt require Nationalist consent. Have you been asleep since 1922?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The history is STILL all there.

Hidden in the shadows while all the nationalist and republican elements get a "decade of commemoration"

And I say this as an avowed nationalist, who craves reunification and whose wife's family have links to some of the great Protestant agitators.

The only way to escape unionist brickbats is to stop behaving exactly like them!!

Just the attitude that means we will never be a united country.
    If that's what you want, you need to include all people living here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Next on the list should be packing that loyalist terrorist they have running the Gardaí back up where he came from. Can be sure he had a big hand in this being organised in the first place.

He is doing a good job in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Just the sort of eventuality that the Northern unionists will use as propaganda.

To all the revisionists who sought to remove elements of history just because they found them distasteful, well done, great job.

After all, why should we look at the events of the time square in the eye, why should we teach our young people and our not so young about any aspect of our past that isn't the green tinted was of Pearse and Devs Ireland. Why shouldn't we ask anyone to reflect on the lessons of the past as we approach a critical time in the evolution of our nation.

This was never going to be a celebration, it was going to mark an important aspect and discuss it.

All the success in getting this event censored is to set back the cause of true Irish unity.

I don't think you realise the actual recommendation for the RIC/DMP was an academic seminar/conference discussing and showing their place in our history.
    How's that brushing under the carpet and revisionism?
    What the people do not want is a state commemoration for the forces that opposed our self-determination on behalf of a foreign power.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Certainly, but how much resistance and legitimate criticism do you want to arm them with?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

bubblypop wrote: »
    But not the Irishmen who served as policemen

The policemen who were part of the occupation of Ireland on behalf of the British crown.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Bambi wrote: »
    Jaysus, I open up the auld twitter machine of an evening with a cup of tea and trending in Ireland is notmytaoiseach and associated Tan hash tags (hash taigs?)

Hash taigs...

Sheer fúcking genius!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

irishfeen wrote: »
    The policemen who were part of the occupation of Ireland on behalf of the British crown.

Ridiculous.
    Ireland had always been part of the UK, that was life. So any of the Irishmen who joined the police, did just that, joined their police force.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/ric-controversy-minister-for-justice-defers-commemoration-event-1.4133184

"Speaking later on RTÉ, Mr Flanagan said he is “determined that this event will take place” in the future."

I hope the electorate has something to say about that!

Horrendous that this was even considered let alone "deferred"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Another FG piece of thoughtlessness thrown under a bus, how many reversals can these idiots bear before they cop on and go to the country.
    Maybe FF will now push for an earlier election!

• Registered Users Posts: 69,202 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Flanagan disgracing himself on RTE. Blaming 'sinister elements'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Incredible the anti Irish demeaning invective posted as it began to look like this was a disaster for FG.
    Like spoiled brats who didn't get their way.

It's quite revealing.

I don't believe in any UI unless it is a compromise but that word means both ways.
    Everything should be on the table and it won't just be Ireland absorbing the north.

But apparently I'm some 'ra head (never even voted for SF in my life) Celtic shirt wearing (I follow St Pats and Liverpool and Barcelona if that's ok?) dirty Irish knuckledragging animal who can't get over what happened 100 years ago and can't see the incredible delicate importance of what unionist people might think if I oppose this sham ceremony.

I bet our brethren up north are having a right old laugh at the absolute cringey, lickspittle West Brit mindset of the FG party and its acolytes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Absolutely disgusted at Fine Gael.

How dare they cancel an event to pay tribute to those who fought against Irish freedom.

Is this what RIC terrorists whom exploded grenades in the mouth's of Irish people fought for?

Is this for what RIC thugs whom evicted starving homeless people fought for?

Is this for what RIC scum whom hunted down our democratically elected politicians who were elected by the people to sit in a free Irish parliament fought for?

I hope all you people who support those who made a stand against the racist murdering British Empire are proud of yourselves!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Ridiculous.
    Ireland had always been part of the UK
    That's real 1984 style brainwashing but the problem is that your brain is still on spin cycle. Ireland only became part of the UK in 1801 after the British bought off a bunch of members of the "Irish" House of Commons and murdered those who they couldn't buy.

Regards...jmcc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Look another million going astray for advisors on this . https://twitter.com/caulmick/status/1214610189560750082?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭THE_SHEEP

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Just the sort of eventuality that the Northern unionists will use as propaganda.

To all the revisionists who sought to remove elements of history just because they found them distasteful, well done, great job.

After all, why should we look at the events of the time square in the eye, why should we teach our young people and our not so young about any aspect of our past that isn't the green tinted was of Pearse and Devs Ireland. Why shouldn't we ask anyone to reflect on the lessons of the past as we approach a critical time in the evolution of our nation.

This was never going to be a celebration, it was going to mark an important aspect and discuss it.

All the success in getting this event censored is to set back the cause of true Irish unity.

And there was me thinking that the billons of euros required to maintain the North , would have set back the cause of true Irish unity ?

Oh , silly me !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,202 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Flanagan in typical FG mode, instead of throwing his hat at it, digs a deeper hole now.
    I think opposition will be all over just who's decision this was. Or at least the should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Flanagan disgracing himself on RTE. Blaming 'sinister elements'.
    Perhaps those sinister elements in FG will be paying a late night visit to Flanagan to ask for his resignation.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

It was sarcasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Didn't really see anything wrong with the basic concept of commemoration TBH.

It was rather naive of the Government to think this would ever really fly.

People have their views and ultimately they are fairly entrenched views that are simply not for moving. Which is fair enough.

The simple reality is that Irish history, partially societal Irish history, is complex and extremely nuanced; if we continue to just follow one narrative then we won't ever really educate ourselves.

I say that as the proud grandson of a man who fought in the War of Independence and from a fairly nationalist background, however, my great great(?) grand uncle was an RIC constable and a well regarded man too. Keeping the peace (like a regular Guard today). A job basically.

It will be interesting to see how the Civil War commemorations play out because, quite frankly, some massive skeletons in the closet will be tumbling out and a lot of uncomfortable truths. We'd want to be ready and adult about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭THE_SHEEP

Odhinn wrote: »
    Proper order.

Wonder who's for the " Gimp Suit " in FG this week over this ?

Will be a tight fit after " swing gate Bailey " wearing it for so long !!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,403 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/ric-controversy-minister-for-justice-defers-commemoration-event-1.4133184

"Speaking later on RTÉ, Mr Flanagan said he is “determined that this event will take place” in the future."

I hope the electorate has something to say about that!

Horrendous that this was even considered let alone "deferred"

Why is he 'determined' to do so?

Has he not got enough matters to be concerned with?

That sort of statement betrays a vanity project..

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

I think Flanagan's fidelity to the state should be questioned after this!

Varadkar's on thin ice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Not a great performance by Flanagan on drive time to say the least and Wilson wasn't up for letting him off the hook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Why are you pretending you did it? You were not there! But for fate you could have being in an RUC uniform in the 1920's trying to support your family living from day to day. Or fighting in Belgium or France with the BA.

'We' the same thing so called many republicans say when supporting British teams. It makes me laugh.
    Is this the same 'we' that let a kiddie fiddler run riot - rather than report it to the authorities as it was a 'prominent' republican family.
    I don't hear you taking credit for that. They did not even have the 'decency' to kneecap the fella.

Ah the “ve vere joost following ze orders” argument. Didn’t work in Nurenburg, won’t work here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Ridiculous.
    Ireland had always been part of the UK, that was life.

Ireland only became a part of the Union in 1801.

It's amazing that you can just post a lie like that when everyone knows it's false.

And it only became part of the Union due to rampant corruption and without the consent of the Irish people. The "Irish" parliament that passed the Act of Union in 1800 was also a sectarian parliament with catholics banned.

The glories and freedom of Britannia. :rolleyes:

Advertisement