Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIC and DMP to be commemorated this month

Options

Comments

Probably will still win though.

They were certs to win before this so you’d have to wonder what the advisors were smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

saabsaab wrote: »
    I don't believe you are being fair, nobody was saying that, just wanted to remember Irishmen on the wrong side of history. You'd swear some thought they wanted to make God save the King the national anthem!

They were traitors who stood by while the Tans butchered their countrymen and sometimes were involved in murders themselves, that's how they should be remembered.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Those killed in the rising were the enemies of the state of the time. The RIC were the state and legitimate.
    You were a more plausible WUM when you were on the Marty Whelan/LyricFM threads trying to convince people that Marty Whelan knew where Vivaldi got his "Red Priest" nickname.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

This has revealed the people here, in media, in academia and politics with a real problem with the fact that we fought for and won our independence. The amount of internalized colonialism is astonishing to see. Spurious and irrelevant points are made and repeated ad nauseam. The people are denigrated, mocked, sneered at by supposedly superior intellects. The self styled intellectual elite of the RIC commemorations have shown how they regard this country and our freedom.

Many of these are unionists and do not recognize it.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

Probably will still win though.

A diabolical record on housing.
    Bizarre free market policies / vulture / cuckoo funds.
    Disgrace-full handling of the children's hospital / budget.
    Irritating cosying up to the Unionists.
    A "bluff it" policy to difficult issues.
    No policy to everything else.

Commemorating the ****ing RIC!!!!

A **** government all round. I really hope they don't get elected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

800 years!!!!!!!!!!

800 no less.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    As a senior citizen I am crying tears of relief that this dishonour to our country and our patriot dead has been stopped. So many ordinary people have been abused by those who say we have no historical nuance, no maturity, are exclusionary that that in itself is a separate affront.

I'm a young person who was devastated and appalled when I heard about this. I can't even imagine what it must be like for someone who lived through The Troubles and saw what the crown forces were willing to do in order to maintain the oppression of Irish people, or even had parents or aunts or uncles who were directly brutalised by the scumbags that were the RIC during the War of Independence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Spin another record.
    Oh God, no! :) People had to give up listening to LyricFM in the morning because of this. It would be the auditory equivalent of sailing a destroyer up the Liffey and bombarding Dublin with low-brow "classical" music.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

The RIC were the state and legitimate. They cannot be relabled post hoc.

After the 1918 general election the RIC were by no means legitimate by democratic will of the Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,016 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I'm a young person who was devastated and appalled when I heard about this. I can't even imagine what it must be like for someone who lived through The Troubles and saw what the crown forces were willing to do in order to maintain the oppression of Irish people, or even had parents or aunts or uncles who were directly brutalised by the scumbags that were the RIC during the War of Independence.

I must ask Srameen what it was like back then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

This has revealed the people here, in media, in academia and politics with a real problem with the fact that we fought for and won our independence. The amount of internalized colonialism is astonishing to see. Spurious and irrelevant points are made and repeated ad nauseam. The people are denigrated, mocked, sneered at by supposedly superior intellects. The self styled intellectual elite of the RIC commemorations have shown how they regard this country and our freedom.

So many people talk as if the IRA were worse, and it really, really astonishes me and pisses me off. I'm no fan of what the Provos did once they lost the head and morphed from a paramilitary organisation protecting communities in NI and attacking Crown forces to randomly murdering civilians in pubs and the like, but the root fact remains that while both sides committed atrocities even during the Troubles, one side's cause was to keep people down and the other side's cause was to stop those people being kept down. There's a fundamental difference between a side which fights to maintain power over others and a side which seeks to free people from that power, and anyone who makes a direct comparison without acknowledging that is talking utter bullsh!t.

Fighting to maintain control of people who have democratically decided they don't want to be controlled will always be morally worse than fighting to free one's self and one's people from that control.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

bubblypop wrote: »
    Just the attitude that means we will never be a united country.
    Larbre34 wrote: »
    Certainly, but how much resistance and legitimate criticism do you want to arm them with?

To be frank I don't care what they say or think, particularly their politicians. Get back to me when Unionists formally apologise for their treatment of the minority in the north for its first 50 years and I might reconsider.

In the meantime Unionists won't be asked to bend the knee to our Republican past, nor should anyone feel the need to bend the knee to their rotten legacy in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

saabsaab wrote: »
    I don't believe you are being fair, nobody was saying that, just wanted to remember Irishmen on the wrong side of history. You'd swear some thought they wanted to make God save the King the national anthem!

Hard to believe somebody could actually post something so brain dead.

The RIC were fighting to retain GSTK as the national anthem!!!

Jaysus fcking wept. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Strangely enough, the centenary of Northern Ireland next year will probably be far less controversial - whoever will be Minister for Foreign Affairs will presumably go to Belfast, along with a few historical talks on both sides of the Border.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

800 years!!!!!!!!!!

800 no less.

Well 753 years has less of a ring to it. :D

I swear, many Irish people think Irish history is a rebel song.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,766 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Unionists arent even able to organise a Northern Irish government. Any reunification will likely ignore Arlene screaming at the clouds.

Naggdefy wrote: »
    After the 1918 general election the RIC were by no means legitimate by democratic will of the Irish people.

Nor were they before the 1918 GE.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Nor were they before the 1918 GE.

Indeed, even before 1918, one of the main sticking points in the Home Rule Bill was devolution of policing, because the IPP recognised that Dublin control was necessary to reform the force.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Strangely enough, the centenary of Northern Ireland next year will probably be far less controversial - whoever will be Minister for Foreign Affairs will presumably go to Belfast, along with a few historical talks on both sides of the Border.

Which is what Ferriter and the advisory committee suggested also for this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

They were traitors who stood by while the Tans butchered their countrymen and sometimes were involved in murders themselves, that's how they should be remembered.

That may be true of some but not all. As said before many were friends with Michael Collins and joined the GS on establishment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

pjohnson wrote: »
    Unionists arent even able to organise a Northern Irish government. Any reunification will likely ignore Arlene screaming at the clouds.

It'll be a bit harder to ignore the bombs going off in Dublin and Cork though.

Massive own goal by the precessional Republican classes. Just like that farce of a 'Love Ulster' march, the way to win was to just ignore it. Instead there's even more ammunition for the unionists who will point to things like this as to why there's never going to a place for them in any United Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

A diabolical record on housing.
    Bizarre free market policies / vulture / cuckoo funds.
    Disgrace-full handling of the children's hospital / budget.
    Irritating cosying up to the Unionists.
    A "bluff it" policy to difficult issues.
    No policy to everything else.

Commemorating the ****ing RIC!!!!

A **** government all round. I really hope they don't get elected.

Fueling compensation culture and insurance cartels

**Cough Maria Bailey Cough **

• Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Honestly lads, I've never ever voted for FG but I think ye are wasting a lot of energy on nothing here

The SF bots are out in force.

They'd be the same lads defending all the acts done to protestant families - murdered and burned out of their houses during the 1920s and 1930s and the irish police force turning a blind eye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

Honestly lads, I've never ever voted for FG but I think ye are wasting a lot of energy on nothing here

They'd be the same lads defending all the acts done to protestant families - murdered and burned out of their houses during the 1920s and 1930s and the irish police force turning a blind eye

False claims based on pejorative assumptions.

Massive own goal by the precessional Republican classes. Just like that farce of a 'Love Ulster' march, the way to win was to just ignore it. Instead there's even more ammunition for the unionists who will point to things like this as to why there's never going to a place for them in any United Ireland.

Unionist can whinge all they want, but their veto is gone so hard luck.

Tbh, they don't do much else.

Appalling lack of leadership in unionism.

Nigel Dodds living in middle class Banbridge trying to represent working class loyalists in Tigers Bay. Desperate jobs for the boys stuff.

The sooner the DUP disappear and working class loyalist actually get somebody to represent them as opposed to wasters like Dodds who'll play them off at the first chance he'll get, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

False claims based on pejorative assumptions.

Now who is making things up

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭mick malones mauser

Thankfully Varadkar Flanagan and their cohorts have been embarrassed into "deferring" this farce.
    Commemorating a bunch of thuggish lackeys who accepted money to kill,maim,torture, evict their own countrymen and women on behalf of an evil empire in a vain attempt to prevent independence...

There isn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

You reckon there are Irish people who would rather the country was still part of the UK?

And who are the "we" you speak of? I assume you weren't in the GPO in 1916?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Here's some more of those Shinner bots,

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/ric-controversy-fine-gael-councillors-hit-out-at-decision-to-hold-commemoration-1.4132772

Advertisement